Timberwolf Mountain Summit FAIL #2

Well not a complete fail, but pretty sad preparation on my part. So first attempt to the summit, I pick a clear day and sail up there with little difficulty, other than dancing with a bear that wouldn't let me go up and having to end a wolf who got too close. Thinking this was the EASIEST run to the summit ever! Then my lack of detail in preparation almost made me sick! I had gone up with a hacksaw, ready to loot every box and get the good stuff...on the 1st box on the plane, the hacksaw broke! I had paid no attention to the condition of the thing and had to leave the mountain, sad and dejected. So next time up, I took TWO hacksaws...this was fail #2. Well not a real fail, but so close it felt like one if you know what I mean. First, I had a run of bad luck with bear and wolves, which you expect going up there, but it left me tired from all the maneuvering so when I got to a climb, I said push on. I think I was 2-3 seconds from losing grip and falling...so scary! Well, that happened twice! So get near the summit and that bear is blocking my way, so I end up spending the night out by the campfire. Wake up the next morning, go to make water, and realize I am ALMOST out of water AND I don't have a can of any type of food, not an empty, nor a pot! I don't think I am going  to make it back down with a half kilo of water and I haven't done the summit climb yet! Push on, it is dark, the aurora is gorgeous, and I am almost to the rope climb. You know that right turn between rocks before the climb? I turn that corner to see a psychedelic green bear right in front of me! Now I backed out and then ran and hid, cuz I was dead tired and likely would not have been able to shoot him, and he would have likely killed me in my state. I don't know why, but it never came after me and I never saw it again. Got to the rope, slept, finished the last of my water, cried that I was going to end an 80 day run with some nice clothes and level 4 on almost all my skills, and ascended. NOT ONE CAN or POT in the containers! Popped first one, full of soda...at 4% or lower condition. Popped each of the others and finally on the last one, there were bottles of water! I also found a rifle up there, only my second rifle so far. Could not drag all the loot I wanted down with me, so likely going back one day for the rest. Might be a long while as that last run I was on the edge of death at least 6 or 7 times! Coming down wasn't fun either. Bear after bear, wolf after wolf. Killed and harvested a wolf coming down the creek to Crystal Lake, thinking I was home free, but there is another wolf on the lake and he came and chewed on me. Sigh. Love this game, but think I need a break after that run up the summit, times 2!

Edited by TonyInPleasantValley
typo
  • Upvote 1

It's a confusing path, and it took me forever to finally get up there because I play without maps or reference materials.  I broke my hacksaw once, went back down the mountain to get another, made the climb again and promptly discovered a hacksaw under a wooden crate.

I was once eaten by a bear while sleeping...

It gets much easier when you learn where all the cave shelters are.

Wolf: I have this unjustified fear of sleeping in caves and having a bear come eat me. I gotta believe they go in them as I see them coming out from time to time. Anyone know if my fear is justified and real, or should I just sleep in caves and believe I am safe?

hozz: I have personally proven that as almost every time I have slipped into the long, dark night it was due to exactly that: impatience. Last run, I was looking for a rifle and went out in ill condition, during bad weather, to check a cave that I found one in before the rifle redistro. Waves of Timberwolves and a blizzard ended me. 

18 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Wolf: I have this unjustified fear of sleeping in caves and having a bear come eat me. I gotta believe they go in them as I see them coming out from time to time. Anyone know if my fear is justified and real, or should I just sleep in caves and believe I am safe?

hozz: I have personally proven that as almost every time I have slipped into the long, dark night it was due to exactly that: impatience. Last run, I was looking for a rifle and went out in ill condition, during bad weather, to check a cave that I found one in before the rifle redistro. Waves of Timberwolves and a blizzard ended me. 

There is a nice image in the Meme-thread: Have there been bones at the entrance? If not You should be save if You have nothing smelly on You.

18 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Anyone know if my fear is justified and real, or should I just sleep in caves and believe I am safe?

As @mfuegemann stated, bear caves tend to be shallow and have bones littered at the entrance/inside.  As a general rule, best not to sleep in those.  If you must, crouch before you sleep so if the bear does come back, he may not see you.  I've actually woken up with a sleeping bear about 10 feet from me!

• Like 1