Game crashes trying to move between regions

Blizzard Walker

At this point i think it has to have something to do with your save file, it's probably corrupt

I had an issue where my game failed to save due to "Not enough space" despite having plenty of space. I lost about 40min of progress, but other than that the save remains intact. 

If you haven't already, send in your save file for that game to the hinterland via a support ticket, sometimes they can fix it. 

Let us know if you need help finding your save file's location 

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Sorry to hear that.  Sounds like you've done everything you can do.  Any feedback from HL on your support ticket?

hozz1235, I appreciate the suggestions of yourself and SpanishMoss.

I uninstalled and installed again today.  My survivor is still trapped within the PV Farmhouse.

Support tickets get me an auto response but nothing beyond that.

I will wait for the hotfix later this month.  Hopefully my issue will be resolved.  Otherwise I will return to playing Perilous Constraint.

1 hour ago, SpanishMoss said:

At this point i think it has to have something to do with your save file, it's probably corrupt

I had an issue where my game failed to save due to "Not enough space" despite having plenty of space. I lost about 40min of progress, but other than that the save remains intact. 

If you haven't already, send in your save file for that game to the hinterland via a support ticket, sometimes they can fix it. 

Let us know if you need help finding your save file's location 

SpanishMoss, I would appreciate any direction you can provide in finding my saved game file.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Have you tried to replicate the issue with a new run?  That may help answer if your save game file is corrupt.

hozz1235, that would be a good experiment.  I will start another run in CH and see if I can exit the region into Ravine or Crumbling highway where I don't have a intermediary mine to traverse.  If I can exit the region then the problem is my saved game. If not I will conclude its a game bug issue.

FWIW, is there a way to fix a corrupted saved game file?

11 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Have you tried to replicate the issue with a new run?  That may help answer if your save game file is corrupt.

hozz1235, thank you for your suggestion.  I started a new Voyageur run tonight.  Same as existing run - CH start, male character and same four starting skills (fire starter, cold fusion, efficient machine and book smarts).  I spawned at exactly the same area along the tracks immediately adjacent to the exit to Ravine.  

Immediately I tried to enter Ravine with the same result - the game hangs up with an endless loading screen with no walking rabbit-deer-wolf-bear-moose in the bottom right corner of the screen.  Cursor never re-appears and the Escape key does nothing.  

In short the exact same problem occurs immediately with a new run. This tells me my old game save file is not corrupted unless we are to believe that every new game file will be corrupted.

Via Time Capsule Perilous Constraint works perfectly and is my only option now.  The post update version of the game is unplayable for me. The  upcoming hotfix may provide relief - submitting support tickets does not.

4 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

@Blizzard Walker  That may be valuable information to add to your support ticket.  Hope it gets fixed for you soon!

Thanks.  I will submit a third support ticket. Hopefully this request will result in a response and not just the usual automated confirmation of receipt.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
spelling

On 2/14/2023 at 3:41 PM, Blizzard Walker said:

hozz1235, I appreciate the suggestions of yourself and SpanishMoss.

I uninstalled and installed again today.  My survivor is still trapped within the PV Farmhouse.

Support tickets get me an auto response but nothing beyond that.

I will wait for the hotfix later this month.  Hopefully my issue will be resolved.  Otherwise I will return to playing Perilous Constraint.

Hi there -- apologies for the delay. 

To locate Session log files: https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019003211-Locating-your-Session-Log-File  

Additionally, can you send us a private message with the email you are using to contact support? Sometimes when you send multiple tickets, it can change your order in the queue. We'd be happy to look into that for you, and we sincerely appreciate your patience. 

2 hours ago, Admin said:

To locate Session log files: https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019003211-Locating-your-Session-Log-File  

Additionally, can you send us a private message with the email you are using to contact support? Sometimes when you send multiple tickets, it can change your order in the queue. We'd be happy to look into that for you, and we sincerely appreciate your patience. 

Thank you for explaining how to locate a Session Log. When I send the Session Log via a private message I can provide the email address I have been using to contract support.

FWIW, today I added more RAM to my laptop PC, going from 12 GB to 24 GB.  The Voyageur run started post update on December 8th is still failing to allow movement from region to region. However, a new run started on February 15th - essentially a very small saved game file - allowed movement from region to region after increasing RAM to 24 GB. Only yesterday it was impossible to move region to region on this brand new run.

The problem post update seems to be excessive demands on memory as running Perilous Constraint via Time Capsule does not present a similar problem

Attached is a screenshot of the game when it hangs up trying to move from region to region - no mouse cursor and not walking animal in bottom right corner.

Screenshot 2-16-23 TLD Blauer.png

@Blizzard WalkerProvided you don't have it explicitly disabled Windows (as any modern OS) uses a swap file. Running out of memory, even when your application demands twice or more what you have physically available, should not happen. Iirc Windows actually allocated your physical RAM times 2.5 for swapping, so you would need to actually use memory in excess of 60 84 gigs to run out of memory. You would drastically notice a slowdown swapping to disk (especially if it's one of those old "turntable" HDDs), but the game should not crash. Also Windows will notify you when you actually ran out of memory and kill the application outright.

In short: memory is likely not the issue here.

Edited by Stuffed Plush Chainsaw
  • Upvote 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:29 PM, Stuffed Plush Chainsaw said:

@Blizzard WalkerProvided you don't have it explicitly disabled Windows (as any modern OS) uses a swap file. Running out of memory, even when your application demands twice or more what you have physically available, should not happen. Iirc Windows actually allocated your physical RAM times 2.5 for swapping, so you would need to actually use memory in excess of 60 84 gigs to run out of memory. You would drastically notice a slowdown swapping to disk (especially if it's one of those old "turntable" HDDs), but the game should not crash. Also Windows will notify you when you actually ran out of memory and kill the application outright.

In short: memory is likely not the issue here.

Thank you Stuffed Plush Chainsaw for taking the time to explain.  It is puzzling the game does not crash moving from region to region on Perilous Constraint but does fail to transition from region to region post update.  Mine is a 2 TB solid state HD now with 24 GB RAM.  The TLD application is not killed outright - it just freezes as per the screenshot I uploaded to this thread.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 3:07 PM, Admin said:

Player Log send by PM. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 5:16 PM, Admin said:

Thank you! 

Admin, thanks for your suggestion of suggesting the Player Log.

Problem has since been solved.  After trying various means of changing settings I changed the "Quality" setting to "Ultra".  This would seemingly make no sense as Ultra should exacerbate a memory issue.  As it turns out the game hanging up when leaving certain buildings or moving between regions ceased.