Game crashes trying to move between regions

Blizzard Walker

My post update Voyageur run started in CH.   I found it was impossible to enter Ravine at the railroad tracks entrance.  As usual you are given the option of "Leaving Coastal Highway". A transition screen appears without the usual rabbit-deer-wolf-bear or moose animation in the bottom right.  Cursor never re-appears. Game crashes and only by restarting PC can I get TLD to close. I have waited as long as 10 minutes for the next region to open.

It is possible to travel between regions if the connection is through a mine.  This means travel from CH to PV is possible.  Similarly travel from PV to Winding River is possible.  Traveling from ML (Carter Dam area) to Ravine crashes the game.  Travel to TWM from PV also crashes the game.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of game crash?

At this point I have concluded my Voyageur run can access only CH, PV, ML, MT and HRV as they are all connected by mines.  Trying to travel to Ravine, BI, DP, FM, BRR, KP, BR, AC and FA will crash the game as there is no are mine connections from CH, PV, ML, MT or HRV.  At this point I am ready to give up on the update and return to my old post update run via the Time Capsule.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
spelling

On 1/9/2023 at 6:51 PM, Blizzard Walker said:

My post update Voyageur run started in CH.   I found it was impossible to enter Ravine at the railroad tracks entrance.  As usual you are given the option of "Leaving Coastal Highway". A transition screen appears without the usual rabbit-deer-wolf-bear or moose animation in the bottom right.  Cursor never re-appears. Game crashes and only by restarting PC can I get TLD to close. I have waited as long as 10 minutes for the next region to open.

It is possible to travel between regions if the connection is through a mine.  This means travel from CH to PV is possible.  Similarly travel from PV to Winding River is possible.  Traveling from ML (Carter Dam area) to Ravine crashes the game.  Travel to TWM from PV also crashes the game.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of game crash?

At this point I have concluded my Voyageur run can access only CH, PV, ML, MT and HRV as they are all connected by mines.  Trying to travel to Ravine, BI, DP, FM, BRR, KP, BR, AC and FA will crash the game as there is no are mine connections from CH, PV, ML, MT or HRV.  At this point I am ready to give up on the update and return to my old post update run via the Time Capsule.

Thank you for sharing. We're sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. Have you tried verifying your game files, or uninstalling and reinstalling your game? We suggest starting there as a potential solution. The steps to verify game files can be found here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

For further assistance, please reach out via our Support Portal. We appreciate the opportunity to investigate. 

19 hours ago, Admin said:

Thank you for sharing. We're sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. Have you tried verifying your game files, or uninstalling and reinstalling your game? We suggest starting there as a potential solution. The steps to verify game files can be found here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

For further assistance, please reach out via our Support Portal. We appreciate the opportunity to investigate. 

Thanks.  I did verify my game files and everything checked out OK.  So far I have not uninstalled and reinstalled the game.  Would doing that mean that I lose my post-update saved game?

I should make the trek from Coastal Highway to Ravine just to see if the problem you have appears. I have been up to the tunnel but not tried to cross into Ravine because I decided that I would go through Pleasant Valley.  I better check. 

I have already been through Cinder Hills Mine (which BTW is reflected in the journal as Abandoned Mine) to Pleasant Valley and no trouble.  

On 1/16/2023 at 9:10 PM, UTC-10 said:

I should make the trek from Coastal Highway to Ravine just to see if the problem you have appears. I have been up to the tunnel but not tried to cross into Ravine because I decided that I would go through Pleasant Valley.  I better check. 

I have already been through Cinder Hills Mine (which BTW is reflected in the journal as Abandoned Mine) to Pleasant Valley and no trouble.  

UTC-10, let me know your experience traveling from CH to Ravine.  I  am not encountering problems moving between regions where a mine is the intermediary step, CH to PV, PV to ML and ML to MT.

missing word

Thanks for reminding me.  I forgot about this.  

I went up the road from Log Sort and went through the transition from Coastal Highway to Ravine.  No problems.  I went across the railroad trestle and mapped a ways then returned to Coastal Highway to get back to what I had been doing.  

Definitely no problems with the transition.  I was even able to map out the Train Unloading area trailer (Coastal Highway) which, for some unknown reason did not show up before.  Probably needed to step a foot to one side to get it or something. 

I had been making trips through Cinder Hills Mine to move stuff from the Coastal Highway side to the Pleasant Valley side and had no problems on any of those.  

I too have been experiencing crashes, though not as a specific thing, but seemingly at random whenever going through a loading screen (usually when entering or leaving caves or buildings). So far I've been able to just restart the game and re-load the save and then it lets me through. When these crashes happen they are sudden and complete, the game just shuts down.

Here's the Player.log: https://pastebin.com/fm7e7i7b

On 1/24/2023 at 5:18 PM, Admin said:

Hi @Blizzard Walker -- are there any new updates on this? Are you still experiencing this issue? Happy to help. 

I uninstalled TLD today and re-installed as suggested by hozz1235.   Game seemed to be a bit more responsive for a while but returned to its old problems after a few hours. 

At this point even exiting buildings is causing the game to lock up.  Entering a cave, car or building does not cause a game lockup.   Instead it happens when trying to exit a building or trying to move Region to Region where a loading screen is required. When it  happens a loading screen appears without the walking rabbit-deer-wolf-bear-moose in the bottom right of the screen.  The loading screen will display one of the stock helpful comments in the bottom left but will never advance beyond that point.  The mouse cursor never re-appears.

FWIW, this issue never happened pre-update.  I am using the same HP laptop with a 2 terrabyte solid state HD Intel Core i5 NVIDIA running Windows 10 purchased new in July 2022.  

I will leave my character for now trapped inside the Mystery Lake Camp Office.  As it stands now the game is unplayable.  If I play at all it will be using my saved 2500 day Voyageur run using the Time Capsule.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:44 PM, Blizzard Walker said:

I uninstalled TLD today and re-installed as suggested by hozz1235.   Game seemed to be a bit more responsive for a while but returned to its old problems after a few hours. 

At this point even exiting buildings is causing the game to lock up.  Entering a cave, car or building does not cause a game lockup.   Instead it happens when trying to exit a building or trying to move Region to Region where a loading screen is required. When it  happens a loading screen appears without the walking rabbit-deer-wolf-bear-moose in the bottom right of the screen.  The loading screen will display one of the stock helpful comments in the bottom left but will never advance beyond that point.  The mouse cursor never re-appears.

FWIW, this issue never happened pre-update.  I am using the same HP laptop with a 2 terrabyte solid state HD Intel Core i5 NVIDIA running Windows 10 purchased new in July 2022.  

I will leave my character for now trapped inside the Mystery Lake Camp Office.  As it stands now the game is unplayable.  If I play at all it will be using my saved 2500 day Voyageur run using the Time Capsule.

Thank you for following up. 

We suggest filing a ticket with our Support Portal, and if you can provide Session Logs, that would be helpful as we investigate. 

We appreciate your patience, and look forward to helping you further. 

https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019003211-Locating-your-Session-Log-File 

38 minutes ago, Admin said:

We suggest filing a ticket with our Support Portal, and if you can provide Session Logs, that would be helpful as we investigate. 

https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019003211-Locating-your-Session-Log-File 

Thanks for that suggestion.  I can submit another ticket (the third).  Regarding a session log, what is a Session log and how do I produce one?  

FWIW, I abandoned my post update run and I have returned to playing Perilous Constraint via Time Capsule.  My saved pre-update Voyageur run is running fine without the game locking up moving between regions or trying to exit buildings.  This lack of problems running Perilous Constraint points to my computer not being the problem.

spelling

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 2:32 PM, Admin said:

Will the upcoming February 2023 hotfix remedy the endless loading screen bug encountered when trying move region to region when those regions are not connected via caves?

19 hours ago, SpanishMoss said:

It sounds like you game is having a memory issue, like the game doesn't have enough memory space to load all the textures of large areas. 
Do you have lots of programs open while TLD is running? 
Oh and are you on PC/Mac?

SpanishMoss, memory issue sounds about right.  I am using a PC with 12 megabytes of RAM running Windows 11, Intel Core i5, NVIDIA GeForce 350, 1.6 TB free space on C drive.  I have nothing else running while TLD is running.

FWIW, out of frustration I run the game via Time Capsule on Perilous Constraint. Absolutely no problems are encountered.  Switch back to the post update current version of the game and I cannot travel between regions or even exit buildings.  Same computer different results - perhaps the post update current version is demanding a lot more memory.

12 Megabytes or 12 Gigabytes? There's a very large difference lol.

And yes, the newer version of the game probably uses more memory.

Try lowering your graphics settings, particularly tree billboard distance and texture resolution, as these will contribute to a larger memory footprint. If possible, try increasing the amount of memory the game is allocated, I believe that setting is also in the quality section. 

3 hours ago, SpanishMoss said:

12 Megabytes or 12 Gigabytes? There's a very large difference lol.

And yes, the newer version of the game probably uses more memory.

Try lowering your graphics settings, particularly tree billboard distance and texture resolution, as these will contribute to a larger memory footprint. If possible, try increasing the amount of memory the game is allocated, I believe that setting is also in the quality section. 

SpanishMoss, yes it is 12 gigabytes of RAM (8 and 4 now).  I am planning to increase RAM to 24 this coming week by switching out a 4 with a 16.

I have my graphic settings on low already but I will try increasing the amount of memory the game is allocated by looking for that option in the quality section.

Thank you for your suggestions.

32 minutes ago, Blizzard Walker said:

SpanishMoss, yes it is 12 gigabytes of RAM (8 and 4 now).  I am planning to increase RAM to 24 this coming week by switching out a 4 with a 16.

I have my graphic settings on low already but I will try increasing the amount of memory the game is allocated by looking for that option in the quality section.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Yeah, the setting is called "Texture Streaming", try setting it higher as it will allow the game to use more memory.

And setting all the texture-based settings to lower values should also help.

Let me know if that works for you!

13 hours ago, SpanishMoss said:

Yeah, the setting is called "Texture Streaming", try setting it higher as it will allow the game to use more memory.

And setting all the texture-based settings to lower values should also help.

Let me know if that works for you!

SpanishMoss, thank you for your constructive suggestions.  I changed Texture Streaming as you suggested but it makes no difference. The computer I use for Steam-TLD is only used for gaming.  I have all but the most essential backup applications turned off.

My character is stuck inside the PV Farmhouse.  My character can enter buildings but not leave them.  My character can move between regions if connected by a cave - most recently moving from Winding River to Pleasant Valley - but not if connected by a loading screen like the one between PV and TWM.

Like I noted the game plays fine if I revert to Perilous Constraint via Time Capsule.  

Next week I will boost RAM from 12 GB to 24 GB. If boosting RAM or the upcoming hotfix does not help I will conclude that the post update is simply unplayable for me.

8 minutes ago, Blizzard Walker said:

Next week I will boost RAM from 12 GB to 24 GB. If boosting RAM or the upcoming hotfix does not help I will conclude that the post update is simply unplayable for me.

12gb should be plenty to play the game.  Have you tried a repair and/or uninstall/install?

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

12gb should be plenty to play the game.  Have you tried a repair and/or uninstall/install?

hozz1235, I agree 12 gb should be sufficient.

I have uninstalled and re-installed three times.  Switching to Perilous Constraint and back to the current version itself requires re-installing the current version. I have switched back that way at least two times.

Similarly the file verification process reveals no problems.

I don't see a specific command for repairing - let me know if you know of such a function.

One persistent difference between Perilous Constraint and the current version is that opening any container post update (glove compartment, kitchen cabinet, desk, dresser drawer, refrigetator, corpse, etc.) involves a noticeable delay before the contents are shown. Similarly, opening the backback - via the "i" key on PC - brings on a 3 second or so delay before you see the contents.

The bottom line for me is that my computer has not changed but the game has.