Bears killing through walls, not able to fight it

gatwood

So perhaps the bear just burst through the door? But either way, no combat?

I shot a bear and then lured it back to shed at the top of Radar Hill. I was happily sitting inside the shed, listening to the

bear shuffling around outside. Then its suddenly in the shed, there is no option to fight and it just mauls me. Finally it stops,

I'm at 10% and that's fine, I can heal, I've recovered from 4%. But probably its [the bear] not able to leave the shed, so I'm in close proximity and it attacks again.

So, if this is by design, then I really should at least be able to have the option of fighting it with my knife, just like with

wolves. If its not by design... well, then it should stay outside and either die, or wander off...

Anyway this is an annoying way to die at 151 days. Sigh.

Finally it stops,

I'm at 10% and that's fine, I can heal, I've recovered from 4%. But probably its [the bear] not able to leave the shed, so I'm in close proximity and it attacks again.

As far as I can tell, you're probably a victim of two circumstances. One of them seems like a bug to me, the other one a mixture of bad fortune and lack of experience.^^

Regarding the bug: I don't think it's by design that the bear can get into the shack at first. At least it shouldn't if you closed the door, which I assume you did. Sounds like a glitch to me that also occured with wolves some time ago.

It's good you posted it here so the devs may further look into this matter. :)

It's normal that you can't fight bears manually, at least you never could in V. 200. I guess that's by design to show the bear's overwhelming power. However, if you start the fight at 100% condition, the bear won't kill you but stop attacking if your condition drops below 10%. As you can see, your bear behaved quite "normal" concerning these aspects.

You're right that the second bear attack presumably happened because you stayed in close proximity to the bear. It is of utmost importance to run away from the bear as fast as you can (after applying a bandage) as soon as it stopps attacking you. Otherwise it will attack again and kill you.

I'm sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way. :(

Thanks, wasn't sure about the fight option since I've been avoiding that confrontation. As for the other points, sadly, it was not lack of experience :-) I've seen the bear attack (my wife's game - just couldn't remember if the fight HUD came up for her or not...) and I know it'll wander away leaving you at ~10%, and yes I was at 100% and yes the door was closed, and no, after the bear 'left' the first time I couldn't leave the shack. I suspect that my point of reference might have been dragged inside the bear object, or part of the building. Essentially the interface was frozen, could not select first aid, couldn't move, couldn't look around... and then the 2nd attack starts and I'm hooped :-)

Anyway, glad to hear the radio shack has been changed since v200. Thanks for the responses!

Archived