Hard to kill a wolf with knife/hatchet/prybar

Denyo

I don`t know,is it just me,but I realy have big problems killing wolves lately.I am at the end of my run,surviving from day to day and must fight with wolves with melee tools,as I left out of ammo long time ago.I would avoid wolves,but I must go fight them,as I need pelts,to make coats and harvest them for clothes.

Nothing seem to work now,to kill wolf.I tried first charge my power bar to half,so I take wolf down 15-20% of health,then I go for three full powered hits,which each of them should take down wolf 30% of his health.That would logicaly mean,that after 4 hits wolf stays with 0% health.But,yet wolves still only run away wounded.I tried with 3 full charged hits,but he stays with 10% health anyway,so he only flees.I am making my knife and hatchet 100% condition,when I intend to go travel arround,so my tools are in top condition.

And finding dead wolf is also quite hard now.I find 1 of 5-6 wounded wolves.I assume many times wolves recover their health and does not die,even if they flee with only 10% of health.With this failure of killing wolves,I will probably die,when I will be out of bandages and antiseptic,coz I will bleed out,if wolf will attack me.

I would appreciate any feedback or tips about this.Coz I think I am missing something,or something changed in game already.You all know me,I know how to deal with wolves and I wouldn`t write down this topic,if I realy wouldn`t have problems,as I have realy alot of experiences with dealing with wildlife.

I would like to be able to instant kill wolf at least every so.Maybe in 1 of 6 fights.

And finding dead wolf is also quite hard now.I find 1 of 5-6 wounded wolves.I assume many times wolves recover their health and does not die,even if they flee with only 10% of health.With this failure of killing wolves,I will probably die,when I will be out of bandages and antiseptic,coz I will bleed out,if wolf will attack me.

I would appreciate any feedback or tips about this.

You might try to return to your base (or any other inhabitable structure) and sleep for an hour after fighting the wolf. If you return to the fighting place afterwards you can often find the wolf corpse somewhere in the area (even if you saw it running away for miles initially).

This is working quite well for me if I decide to stab wolves in order to save bullets... I'm usually finding about 3/4 of the corpses I'd say. Sometimes the corpse might be lying around in a neigbouring valley (more than 100m away from the point you fought the wolf), though. ;)

Apart from that... I've never managed to instantly kill a wolf myself since V. 200, so I can't tell you if it's still possible. Always thought that it was just me being incapable of the right timing. :oops:

As much as I would like to help, I have nothing decent to contribute. Have never killed a wolf on the spot in v200. And I also sometimes lose a wolf which runs off to bleed out...

I will sometimes do what Scyzara said and take a rest after the fight, hoping the wolf will resume its regular patrol and bleed out there. But that doesn't always work, either.

What map are you in?

I find that in pleasant valley I have trouble finding carcasses of wolves that I wounded but not the other maps...

I think I read somewhere that there is a bug that prevents animals from respawning in that map...maybe the problems are related?

What map are you in?

I find that in pleasant valley I have trouble finding carcasses of wolves that I wounded but not the other maps...

I think I read somewhere that there is a bug that prevents animals from respawning in that map...maybe the problems are related?

Re: Pleasant valley that is a bug we are working on

Typically if you wound a wolf with any of the weapons and then leave, you can usually find the corpse in that same area in an hour or so.

I've also found that if you can keep yourself calm in the wolf fight, you can kill the wolf without it ever having the chance to run. I don't have this down to an exact science yet but it's something like two fully charged attacks with a knife, then a weaker one (wolves have the health bar that pops up during the fight) at this point, the wolf's health should be at like 35% or something, then you give it one full strength attack and that'll kill it right there, no running off. The wolf's health bar is broken into two sections in game the larger opaque area and a smaller off-white looking area that seems to be the threshold for death/running.

If you keep calm and realize that at 100% condition a single wolf is going to take a while to kill you, you can kill wolves without dealing with tracking/coming back hoping for a corpse.

Typically if you wound a wolf with any of the weapons and then leave, you can usually find the corpse in that same area in an hour or so.

This used to be my experience as well, but that last 5 wolves (1 in ML, 2in CH and 2 in PV) were nowhere to be found when I got back to look for them. And I've thoroughly searched each area. The wolves in PV didn't return so I assume they have died and not respawned due to the no respawn bug.

I know it should be possible to kill wolves instead of having them run off, but I haven't been able to do so just yet. But I do try to avoid wolves in general so I don't fight them very much. After I've ended my current run I'm going to get some practice in fighting wolves :)

Since the .200 bug I've yet to kill a wolf when fighting it H2H. Where I'd say I managed it 1 out of 4 times in the past.

Edit: I mean killing it at my feet rather than having it run off and dieing.

It certainly seems like it's a bit harder to get right now, but I can still manage to do it in about half of fights? Again the key is staying patient and being willing to go down to like 30-40% rather than trying to keep yourself at like 60% post fight.

It's weird to me that people keep talking about animals not returning after the fight, just because I've seen a couple people mention that and other than the PV bug that the developers have acknowledged, I can't see why it would be happening, and I can't think of any of my own experiences with that happening in either CH or ML. I believe it's happening though and that would be frustrating because typically my first move after a fight with a wolf is just straight to shelter, bandage/heal up and then go back out looking for the kill which is usually back around that area for me.

Archived