Quick-Thinking Moments

SpanishMoss

I recently was in Coastal Highway, when I spotted the Misanthropes' Island bear sleeping in his cave. I took the opportunity to shoot him with the rifle while he was asleep. He of course woke up quite annoyed and began meandering over to me. I then quickly backed up, knowing that shooting him again at this distance would mean he would certainly charge. It is relevant to know that I did not possess the distress pistol yet, so a charge at this stage was unstoppable. I backed up quite a far distance, almost halfway between the mainland and the island, when I decided it was far enough that a shot from this distance would not cause the bear to charge. I thought wrong. As soon as the shot hit the bear, it charged from across the ice at full speed. With no guaranteed way to defend myself, and not wanted to risk shooting the bear in hopes of it dropping before it got to me, I turned and ran. But there was one slight problem, the distance I had to cover to get to the nearest house was not even close to the amount of sprint my character had. I ran out of sprint only halfway to the house on the coast. But I remembered the one thing that could save me... the stim. 

I had never used the stim before in a way where it would be lifesaving, but here it was used to its full potential. One of the very powerful abilities of the stim is infinite sprint, just the thing I needed. I opened my radial menu, and selected the stim, and just as quickly jabbed into my thigh. I immediately continued sprinting to the house, the bear was not too far behind. I reached the house just in time, I could actually see the bear's shadow behind me as I entered the door. Shaking with adrenaline, I was impressed at my quick thinking in that situation.

Are there any other quick-thinking moments you've had in TLD?

• Upvote 2

I jumped off a ledge to avoid a charging moose in BR, and thought quick enough to head for a little lip of ledge that would let me keep firing at the moose once it calmed down.  And I remembered to crouch.  Difficult to do while fighting the desire to scream while running in circles :D

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

On day 498 of Interloper, i decided to light a 2-Stick-fire because it was clear weather while mapping the eastern part of Desolation Point (Mapping takes 15 Minutes gametime).

After finishing mapping, there was a bear standing in front of my campfire. If i wouldnd have made that campfire, that could've ruined my post-totft 500 day run. But now im back on day 504 to trappers, with like 45 kg of bear meat in hibernia for whenever i return. 

• 2 weeks later...