You been playing all day too? First impressions, find anthing or glitchy or what?

piddy3825

6 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Only temperature wise maybe. But PV seems a lot more volatile. FA has very long blizzards and fogs, but then you get whole clear days.

I'm not sure which way they meant it if I'm honest.  

Pv does get some sunny days though. Not very often I admit.🙂

16 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Is there any way to avoid glimmer fog? Indoors, in a cave, underground, nothing seems to work. The only thing I haven't tried is that basement of the main hangar, which is impossible since the region is FAR too large to get there from anywhere else, unless you're already right there.

Edit: Finally lucked out and was able to get back to the hangar. The basement does begin to steadily reduce Insomnia risk. While I wish there were more locations available, at least Insomnia isn't too bad of an affliction. I never actually got woken up in the middle of the night.

glimmer fog...
seemingly innocuous until it starts messing with your brain chemistry.  I've succumbed do this new condition twice now since arriving at the airfield and each time I was far, far away from the hangar.  And yeah, waking up every couple of hours is maddening.   The only time I got a good nights sleep was when I accidently got food poisoning eating a questionable can of sardines.  At least the food poisoning recovery mechanic provided a good work around to my insomnia cause I slept 10 hours straight after popping a couple of anibiotics and drinking a liter of water.

Now that I'm back in the hangar, I hope to utilize the bed in the basement!  yeah, insomina is quite a pain in the butt...

3 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Now that I'm back in the hangar, I hope to utilize the bed in the basement!  yeah, insomina is quite a pain in the butt...

I just spent the night at the hangar and slept in the plane closest to the basement steps since I didn't fell like going all the way upstairs to the bed. I did not recover any condition while sleeping...

3 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I just spent the night at the hangar and slept in the plane closest to the basement steps since I didn't fell like going all the way upstairs to the bed. I did not recover any condition while sleeping...

lol, with the insomina I feel like I'm walking around like a zombie during the day, you'd think a cup of coffee might help?

When I had insomnia I didn't notice anything different, except for waking up one time but then going back to sleep immediately. It's even less of a nuisance than "pain". Especially if you sleep in short intervals anyway, there's really no difference.

Now the toxic gas thing in Blackrock, that was something... maybe it'll return in that upcoming mining region...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I was really looking forward to playing Tales from the Far Territory, but as a Mac-primary user, the delay has been a bit of a bummer. 

But since I also have a PC — less powerful than my main Mac, but still able to run The Long Dark pretty well — I was able to install the update and try it out.

There are two issues that are making my new survival run rather underwhelming so far:

• Low-resolution textures: they seem to randomly affect items (when you discover/pick up an item, its icon is low-res; with certain items it's little more than an outline), but also entire environments. For example, I started in Broken Railroad and I spawned directly inside the Maintenance Shed. When I crossed over to that sort of ante-room with the small office and bed, all environment textures were low-resolution. Changing settings, quitting, and restarting works, but not consistently. After such a restart, everything was fine until I reached the Hunter's Lodge. I entered, and the textures inside the lodge were low-resolution. It's quite annoying.
  • Ambient sounds sound… buggy. After exiting the Maintenance Shed, exploring the yard outside and looking inside the trucks, I re-entered, and the metal creaking sounds of the shed just kept on playing: creak, groan, squeal, grind, creak, groan, squeal, grind… I had to run outside again!

I haven't ventured to the Airfield yet because my survivor's clothes aren't still enough for long treks. There are a lot of locked trunks and lockers and since the loot tables have changed, I still haven't found the prybar. Grrr… 🙂

On 12/8/2022 at 9:53 AM, Leeanda said:

Can I ask?  Is insomnia and the fog removable on the settings?

I have checked a custom run to see if there is something new you can set, but nope 😅

Custom settings remains the same and Insomnia/Fog can't be disabled.

11 hours ago, Morrick said:

I was really looking forward to playing Tales from the Far Territory, but as a Mac-primary user, the delay has been a bit of a bummer. 

lol, I was gonna say, it might actually be a blessing in disguise, considering some of the many issues that have surfaced since the dlc release.  Here's to hoping they make quick progress on the issues for the Mac users who don't happen to have a spare pc backup...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

lol, I was gonna say, it might actually be a blessing in disguise, considering some of the many issues that have surfaced since the dlc release.  Here's to hoping they make quick progress on the issues for the Mac users who don't happen to have a spare pc backup...

Haha! True. New item found: silver lining. 😄

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

… does this mean that we’re afflicted by both insomnia AND cabin fever?

You can still disable cabin fever on custom games. Anyways, while cabin fever can be incredible annoying, most regions have effective spots to prevent or cure cabin fever 😉

7 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

, it might actually be a blessing in disguise, considering some of the many issues that have surfaced since the dlc release

As Hinterland say, PC early release it's because fixing bugs and problems is much easier and faster than in consoles. And release later the game on consoles was a very smart choice; imagine how chaotic and problematic the game should be at this moment in all plataforms with the current bugs 😅

8 hours ago, Glacia said:

I have checked a custom run to see if there is something new you can set, but nope 😅

Custom settings remains the same and Insomnia/Fog can't be disabled.

You're kidding!!!   I'd swear if I could!!  🙂

Well that's put me off buying the dlc .  It was the only thing I was concerned about, gameplay wise anyway.  

Thank you for the info. 

13 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

You're kidding!!!   I'd swear if I could!!  🙂

Well that's put me off buying the dlc . 

Now I hope you are kidding :D

Seriously, as Mistral has pointed out, Insomnia is nothing serious, even funny in parts, not to mention that glimmer fog gives you electricity during the day without an aurora. You're missing out on 3 unique regions, with more "story" in them than any other region. My favorite story so to speak is a cave with a corpse next to a wolf carcass and some broken arrows lying near by. As someone who has previously died from a wolf attack due to a missed bow shot I can imagine exactly what happend.

As to how to deal with the fog itself: There are clues, it's not one second sunny and the other complete fog. Predators are scarce and should you be caught in the fog, you can just outwait it and enjoy some additional mumblings and dialogs from your survivor afterwards.

2 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

Now I hope you are kidding :D

Seriously, as Mistral has pointed out, Insomnia is nothing serious, even funny in parts, not to mention that glimmer fog gives you electricity during the day without an aurora. You're missing out on 3 unique regions, with more "story" in them than any other region. My favorite story so to speak is a cave with a corpse next to a wolf carcass and some broken arrows lying near by. As someone who has previously died from a wolf attack due to a missed bow shot I can imagine exactly what happend.

As to how to deal with the fog itself: There are clues, it's not one second sunny and the other complete fog. Predators are scarce and should you be caught in the fog, you can just outwait it and enjoy some additional mumblings and dialogs from your survivor afterwards.

Actually I'm not.  I'm not sure why it's the only affliction that can't be taken off. 

After reading some of these posts it seems that apart from the actual new area itself there is no reason to even update ,never mind buy the dlc.  I've just spent 2 hours playing and seen one wolf,two deer and one rabbit even though they're all on high in the settings.  It sounds like there's even less in the new area. The caches have been removed ,which I enjoy looking for,and I prefer the rifle we have now. So with the insomnia being permanent too I can't see the point of it.

9 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Well that's put me off buying the dlc .  It was the only thing I was concerned about, gameplay wise anyway.  

oh, don't let the glimmer fog put you off.  It's kinda an interesting ailment to introduce into the game and so far in my gameplay, I've contracted it three times now since arriving at the airfield.  I've even already discovered a work around, by accident of course!  When I got insomnia the second time around, I also just happened to eat a questionably low condition can of sardines which promptly gave me food poisoning!  Oh no, I thought to myself as 10 hours of sleep is required to cure food poisoning in addition of course to antibotics and a liter of water.  

I thought to myself, this is it.  Here's where I am gonna die, wide awake, fatigued and puking my guts out...
Fortunately the food poisoning algorythm takes precedence over the insomnia affliction and I was able to medicate, sleep and cure both maladies in a single night!  Hurray!  

Anyways, hopefully by the time the console release date arrives, all the issues that have been discovered by pc players will have been addressed and your gameplay experience will be better for it!  

6 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

oh, don't let the glimmer fog put you off.  It's kinda an interesting ailment to introduce into the game and so far in my gameplay, I've contracted it three times now since arriving at the airfield.  I've even already discovered a work around, by accident of course!  When I got insomnia the second time around, I also just happened to eat a questionably low condition can of sardines which promptly gave me food poisoning!  Oh no, I thought to myself as 10 hours of sleep is required to cure food poisoning in addition of course to antibotics and a liter of water.  

I thought to myself, this is it.  Here's where I am gonna die, wide awake, fatigued and puking my guts out...
Fortunately the food poisoning algorythm takes precedence over the insomnia affliction and I was able to medicate, sleep and cure both maladies in a single night!  Hurray!  

Anyways, hopefully by the time the console release date arrives, all the issues that have been discovered by pc players will have been addressed and your gameplay experience will be better for it!  

I was being a bit grumpy this morning but I am still slightly disappointed about it,and the few other things I mentioned. I will probably still buy it at some point but I doubt I'll be rushing to on the first release date.   I know I'm not the only one worried that these new things aren't seemingly going to be optional .the trader is a real concern for some but as I said I'll wait a bit longer . I do want to support htl as they've given so much free stuff ,even in the few years I've been playing ,and they deserve it but I just wish that they'd made things clearer in the first place. 

Even if it stays permanently, I do want the new map so I appreciate the info you gave. So thank you.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I got full blown insomnia after not being able to find the hangar basement once I arrived and was low condition.  I slept in a plane and woke up half restored with 35 hours of insomnia baked in! 

I inspected the condition and it informed me that some herbal tea would ameliorate the symptoms so I drank a cup of ther before bed. 
got a full nights sleep even with insomnia!  
did that one more night with the tea and it was cured.  
no big deal really!

just drink your herbal tea!

I purchased the game through Steam on Wednesday and got around playing for the first time on Thursday.  Before that I made multiple saves of my old Hinterland folder in order to return to my 2400 Day Voyageur run at some future time.

On Voyageur I started at CH and have played 40 days so far.   Things I noticed are:

- My character seems to burn through food and water more quickly - perhaps it is just my perception.  Until I got my fishing skill to 4 I was burning through the food I found while looting;

- Weapons are hard to find.  At day 30 I found "Barb's Rifle" at a fishing hut - pale green .303 with an improved iron site.  I have not found a revolver.  Ammunition so far follows the 2 to 1 ratio of revolver to rifle I found on my last run with 39 revolver rounds and 19 rifle rounds found so far;

- Improvised crampons are a great addition to the game;

- Sapling locations have changed minimally;

- Bear pathing along Bear Creek and Fishing Village has not changed;

- Cowachan and Fishermans sweaters were early finds, the latter on day 1;

- Wolf behavior seems unchanged;

- Tools have been easy to find so far in CH.  WIthin 30 days I had hacksaw, 2 hatchets, 3 knives and a heavy hammer.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
spelling

43 minutes ago, Bean said:

I got full blown insomnia after not being able to find the hangar basement once I arrived and was low condition.  I slept in a plane and woke up half restored with 35 hours of insomnia baked in! 

I inspected the condition and it informed me that some herbal tea would ameliorate the symptoms so I drank a cup of ther before bed. 
got a full nights sleep even with insomnia!  
did that one more night with the tea and it was cured.  
no big deal really!

just drink your herbal tea!

I hope the containers in twm have a bucket full still?  I'm going to need them🙂

2 hours ago, Blizzard Walker said:

I purchased the game through Steam on Wednesday and got around playing for the first time on Thursday.  Before that I made multiple saves of my old Hinterland folder in order to return to my 2400 Day Voyageur run at some future time.

On Voyageur I started at CH and have played 40 days so far.   Things I noticed are:

- My character seems to burn through food and water more quickly - perhaps it is just my perception.  Until I got my fishing skill to 4 I was burning through the food I found while looting;

- Weapons are hard to find.  At day 30 I found "Barb's Rifle" at a fishing hut - pale green .303 with an improved iron site.  I have not found a revolver.  Ammunition so far follows the 2 to 1 ratio of revolver to rifle I found on my last run with 39 revolver rounds and 19 rifle rounds found so far;

- Improvised crampons are a great addition to the game;

- Sapling locations have changed minimally;

- Bear pathing along Bear Creek and Fishing Village has not changed;

- Cowachan and Fishermans sweaters were early finds, the latter on day 1;

- Wolf behavior seems unchanged;

- Tools have been easy to find so far in CH.  WIthin 30 days I had hacksaw, 2 hatchets, 3 knives and a heavy hammer.

Same experience here on a new voyager game I launched the other day as well.
also wanted to note that animal and human corpses seem to also be in different areas, kinda nice for a change although it feels that feather drops around those corpses aren't typically in three's any more.  Often finding just one, sometimes two instead of the typical 3 feather yield.

About the only other thing that I would care to mention that I would have liked to see differently at least as it pertains to CH, is maybe change up the burned out houses some as well.  Same old houses standing as it has been for many years of gameplay now.  I'd like to see Hinterland put the ole RNG algorythm to work and actually make those all the buildings subject to either being intact or destroyed.  Gets kinda old seeing the same old layout time after time after time.  

• Upvote 1

I found funny thing in the upper dam. In the corridor between main entrance and the room with fire barell. There was a corpse. But it took shape of painkiller bottle. It was near wires, so maybe the poor man was killed by electricity and cremated at once. Question is who  put him into the bottle. I reported it to techsupport.

screen_(9, -4, -20)_adfe4b77-ec01-4102-8098-cd893ccef6b8.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1