You been playing all day too? First impressions, find anthing or glitchy or what?

piddy3825

I just had to take a break and come up for air, been playing since about noon today nonstop and I gotta say I'm really digging the vibe!
I can see why the old saves had to go, this new loot rebalance has really changed up the gamplay.  What you knew to be true certainly isn't anymore,
so to me it was as exciting as my first play when I chose to randomly launch into the world.  The new wildlife has been refreshing and the nature sounds 
appear even more crisp to the ear than before.  Outstanding work Hinterland.

That being said, I'm curious if it's just me, but in my voyager game, I'm not finding any firearms or hatchets, definitely not in the usual places, plenty of knives and hacksaws though.  
As a side note, plenty of food and clothing, just seemingly a lack of tools.  

What about you?  Curious as to what you've found in your gameplay?

• Upvote 4

Love the changes. I found some critical gear in the same old spots, but one important early game item was missing. The game feels fresh again.

I'm playing Stalker mode and found both a rifle and a collector rifle. I haven't had the opportunity to test fire yet. Too few cartridges. Hatchet, but no knife yet. Lots of clothes in poor condition but no sewing kit yet.

I'm just now at the point that I can explore rather than just survive.

Despite the rough installation, I just waited an hour or so and it updated properly. So far it plays well. The only issue I'm having is that it seems hard to find the hotspot to grab Old Man's Beard lichen. That could just be me, though.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the DLC and updates.

Same here, im taking a break after playing almost non-stop.

While nothing it's very important or game-breaking, i have experienced a lot of small issues:

- Sometimes when you open containers, furniture, etc, your character moves and the animation ends faster. You need to reopen the container to loot the items, if there was one.

- Several actions like harvesting saplings sometimes don't play their sound.

- Some hidden mementos seems buggy atm, you can't complete or loot the mini quest.

But nothing terrible, just small details.

About the gameplay, i find everything fine and enjoyable. The loot refresh is very good, you need to relearn and explore everything again!  I think this is the best feature of the patch.

Several things have changed and they were not announced, we need to learn and discover everything, for a example there are new items spawning on interloper, and if im not wrong, a lot of places have been nerfed and are now colder (TWM hut, but i can't confirm 100%).

Overall, great content. It's a great start for several upcoming features and likely the game is gonna get much better with the next updates!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, dfw11411 said:

Love the changes. I found some critical gear in the same old spots, but one important early game item was missing. The game feels fresh again.

I'm playing Stalker mode and found both a rifle and a collector rifle. I haven't had the opportunity to test fire yet. Too few cartridges. Hatchet, but no knife yet. Lots of clothes in poor condition but no sewing kit yet.

I'm just now at the point that I can explore rather than just survive.

Despite the rough installation, I just waited an hour or so and it updated properly. So far it plays well. The only issue I'm having is that it seems hard to find the hotspot to grab Old Man's Beard lichen. That could just be me, though.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the DLC and updates.

had the same issues trying to harvest ombl, had to really dance around underneath to get the hitbot to trigger.   as to ammo, I've found way way more revolver ammo and very scare on rifle ammo in comparison.  So far so good though!

31 minutes ago, Glacia said:

Same here, im taking a break after playing almost non-stop.

While nothing it's very important or game-breaking, i have experienced a lot of small issues:

- Sometimes when you open containers, furniture, etc, your character moves and the animation ends faster. You need to reopen the container to loot the items, if there was one.

- Several actions like harvesting saplings sometimes don't play their sound.

Yeah, I've had the same experiences when using the hacksaw to cut saplings for instance.  Ditto on opening containers and cupboards as well when searching.  
as you said, none of it has been game breaking, although I am struggling to find an axe...  thank god for that hacksaw, though!

I'm not experiencing any of the issues you've reported. 

The ammo situation is the same for me. Two rifles and 7 cartridges so far. No revolver but 30+ rounds. I've scavenged AC and TWM for specific items (will return later) and making a beeline for the new connectors/regions. Not sure the detour to HRV for the Moose hide satchel is worth it as I have the technical backpack. And I'm unwilling to spend the time to make one right now.

2 minutes ago, dfw11411 said:

I'm not experiencing any of the issues you've reported. 

They are likely fixed now, steam have received various updates.

9 hours ago, Glacia said:

- Some hidden mementos seems buggy atm, you can't complete or loot the mini quest.

I was wrong about this. Mementos are mostly a clues about traveling places, few of them are actually related to loot. For a example, the memento at the car outside of the PV farm, gives info about the cave who leads to mystery lake. Also unlocks a permanent icon on the map, so you can use as a guide.

Not very interesting for old players but is an amazing feature for the new players.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Sgt Socks said:

I think that's another thing not in this release Conan, although I could be wrong.

In that case, I think I’ll wait until the whole thing is available… no point in sacrificing my current run for something only half-finished.

(No offense intended to Hinterland, of course)

1 hour ago, conanjaguar said:

In that case, I think I’ll wait until the whole thing is available… no point in sacrificing my current run for something only half-finished.

lol, you might end up waiting for quite some time as the all the rollouts are going to be done over the course of the upcoming year.  I rewatched the video release and the lead dev said something about the various releases ocurring in steps about every 8 to 10 weeks apart so who knows when?  

• Upvote 1

The core changes to the existing game seem good (albeit I'm confused as to why there are no patch notes for each update) but am I the only one who finds the new region + connectors a bit empty? Both in wildlife and unique terrain aspects. Mind you I've only discovered like 30% of the Airfield but still... between the exit of BR and good way into FA I only saw one wolf, too... well maybe it'll get more eventful. At least when the next updates, whatever they are, roll over...

Edited by Mistral

9 minutes ago, Mistral said:

The core changes to the existing game seem good (albeit I'm confused as to why there are no patch notes for each update) but am I the only one who finds the new region + connectors a bit empty? Both in wildlife and unique terrain aspects. Mind you I've only discovered like 30% of the Airfield but still... between the exit of BR and good way into FA I only saw one wolf, too... well maybe it'll get more eventful. At least when the next updates, whatever they are, roll over...

I'd have to agree that the connectors/transition areas are a bit lacking in overall substance.  I especially was a little disappointed in walking thru the train tunnels where there were lots of boulders and debris scattered about on the tracks, yet the walls and ceilings of the train tunnels were practically pristine and unblemished.  As soon as I noted this to myself, I found one obvious exception where it appeared that a portion of the roof of the tunnel had shifted and partially collapsed.  I'd wager to guess that some beta tester made the same observation and that little bit of of the tunnel's settling was a direct result of that observation.  And yes, I too completely transited the area without once being challenged by wolves, never saw or heard one since leaving Broken Railroad. 

I'll do more exploring today as I only made it to the train station.  Loved the fireplace in the waiting room there, btw.  Nice touch, Hinterland!

• Upvote 2

I'm currently playing on the base game but by the sounds of your run, maybe spawns for tools and such are more random based now, which would be awesome. I've found some really unique item spawns in different places but I won't spoil any; one of them really surprised me. Really enjoying the updated loot spawns!

The game is a little buggy but nothing game breaking so far. Does anybody else get a pause whenever opening the clothes or status page in the inventory? That's the only one that's bothering me right now but there are some others like the green metal container sounds getting swapped with the medicine shelf sound lol. 

Has anybody heard any new wildlife noises? Some of the bear crow sounds seem different and maybe even some of the snorts and groans of the bear itself. The deer definitely has more sounds that I've noticed though. 

Just saw yesterday that mouldy meat from a ravaged doe carcass actually has spots of green on it. Now that is cool. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

I was under the impression that the updates would meld into one another, I.e. there will be no sacrificing of runs.  

@Glacia Same issues here with the oddball sound missing on interaction at times. And some lag between opening drawers and seeing loot, drawer glitches open briefly.  Minor and rare however. Also had an issue with the detail on the safe in the dam  

@Mistrali actually crossed through FM on the tracks and didn’t encounter one wolf, crazy!  That being said, when I got to BR, there were two wolves at the entrance to the maintenance yard and their movement patterns had changed.  Also noticing the loot refresh.  

@piddy3825yes I’ve been playing all day and just took a break when I hit the maintenance yard in BR. I’ve found Vaughn’s rifle and multiple tools.   1 Hatchet and no hammer yet.  No revolver.  Took awhile to find a crowbar. 

Fun fact, I’ve never played this on the computer, it’s been exclusively on Switch.  But I don’t want to wait until March or later for the update so my first run on this update is also my first run on a computer. Controls are tricky but I love how much better the overall graphics and ambience are.  

*Random spawn on stalker.  Started in a new spot in TWM and made my way to the hut.  Next to PV and made the plane wreck after the river cave.  LOTS OF GOOD CLOTHING and food at the crash site.  Set me up well for a trip to the farmhouse then up the rope to signal hill. Good ole’ pea coat and coffee waiting for me. Headed straight for WR and on my way to Carters I jogged off to the cave on the right.  Found a matching rifle for my rifle ammo, customized with duct tape and cloth wraps! Had to crouch and skulk for the majority of the trek to the hill path to avoid two wolves at the bottom of the dam.   Looted the Dam and found a crowbar, that’s when the good stuff really showed up! Military coat and insulated boots.  Headed out and jogged the tracks to the drop to river then took the south access over to the hunting blind.  Got to try out that new rifle... works like a champ.  Headed towards the lake and one stim pen later climbed two ropes and found a bow with a momento waiting for me.  Back down to the lake and checked out the fishing cabins for changes, missing DeadGuyBob in front of the first hut.  Had a run in with the bear over by the docks, crouched under and got to try out that rifle again.  Still working.  Made my way to the Camp Office and finished all my “light” reading, water boiling, and crafting some new crampons. Did some computer work when all the lights came on in the middle of the night. New message? Beeline for BR via FM.  Made good use of a flare while leaving ML and Another while getting to the maintenance shed In BR. Somehow managed to run past fluffy #1 while fluffy #2 watched and only went red-eyed after putting some distance between me and them.  Slow trudge to the shed hoping the flare would last and just before night! Nice Aurora, slept through it though. I wonder what the computer said...?  It’s morning again, I found a rope and I’m going to head for the drop into the ravine under the broken bridge.  

Now if I could only put this into the storytelling that some of y’all do.... I enjoy reading them!!   I haven’t figured out how to screen shot either... It’d be nice to include some shots.  Like the one where the the Bear died on top of the Cannery Boss’s cabin...

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

I'd have to agree that the connectors/transition areas are a bit lacking in overall substance.  I especially was a little disappointed in walking thru the train tunnels where there were lots of boulders and debris scattered about on the tracks, yet the walls and ceilings of the train tunnels were practically pristine and unblemished.  As soon as I noted this to myself, I found one obvious exception where it appeared that a portion of the roof of the tunnel had shifted and partially collapsed.  I'd wager to guess that some beta tester made the same observation and that little bit of of the tunnel's settling was a direct result of that observation.  And yes, I too completely transited the area without once being challenged by wolves, never saw or heard one since leaving Broken Railroad. 

I'll do more exploring today as I only made it to the train station.  Loved the fireplace in the waiting room there, btw.  Nice touch, Hinterland!

There was one wolf in the transition area, but in a very easy place... should've been in the dark tunnel for some Fluffy effect!

The train station was easily the best bit. I wish there had been more oak trees around it, as there were beyond the marsh, but as a building it was very neat and cozy.

3 minutes ago, Pencil said:

I'm currently playing on the base game but by the sounds of your run, maybe spawns for tools and such are more random based now, which would be awesome. I've found some really unique item spawns in different places but I won't spoil any; one of them really surprised me. Really enjoying the updated loot spawns!

The game is a little buggy but nothing game breaking so far. Does anybody else get a pause whenever opening the clothes or status page in the inventory? That's the only one that's bothering me right now but there are some others like the green metal container sounds getting swapped with the medicine shelf sound lol. 

Has anybody heard any new wildlife noises? Some of the bear crow sounds seem different and maybe even some of the snorts and groans of the bear itself. The deer definitely has more sounds that I've noticed though. 

Just saw yesterday that mouldy meat from a ravaged doe carcass actually has spots of green on it. Now that is cool. 

Yes I just noticed the green today!  I’ve also noted that there is new music, and the industrial sounds in the dam and maintenance shed seem to be more in depth.  

I first went to the Airfield from BRR on Pilgrim, just to see what to expect. After some exploring I decided to begin a Stalker run and start in the Airfield to see how it is "for real". My impressions from Pilgrim carried over, almost no wildlife, lot's of walking and a decent amount of loot. I found quite good clothing in the Hangar area and plenty of food, I can stay vegetarian for days until I have to kill my first animal.

Weather is okayish as for now (day 5) but a bit too foggy for my liking, which gets especially tiresome when trying to map the area. From a challenge viewpoint this seems to be the easiest area to start a new run simply because there is almost no risk of running into a wolf or bear. And if you go straight for the hangar first, you'll leave at least with a signal pistol and good enough clothing to explore further.

Long-term it was probably a mistake to start in the Airfield but it's new and shiny so I couldn't resist. It would make more sense though to start in the old world, get to AC for the good stuff and only at the end venture into the Airfield, preferably when HTL has added more regions because right now it's a hub area without a connection to anything. And I still want the technical backpack so eventually I will have to go to AC, but there's probably no palce in TLD further away from AC than the Airfield - and then I have to make the trip back for the new regions. Not sure yet if I really want to go on with this run or just start a new one.

46 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

I first went to the Airfield from BRR on Pilgrim, just to see what to expect. After some exploring I decided to begin a Stalker run and start in the Airfield to see how it is "for real".

I've asked above, but what you're saying suggests I ought to be able to start a game in the airfield? It isn't appearing a starting region for me and I definitely have the DLC - bug or not?

3 minutes ago, past caring said:

I've asked above, but what you're saying suggests I ought to be able to start a game in the airfield? It isn't appearing a starting region for me and I definitely have the DLC - bug or not?

yesterday when I launched the first time, there was no option to spawn into the new regions. but I believe after the midday update, now a player is able too.
perhaps the new areas are contingent on having at least crossed into the new are from Broken Railroad via the transition areas once before it's opened up as a selected spawn area, but I think, the update yesterday fixed that as it was probably a glitch.  anyways, I just jumped back onto the game and now I have an option to launch directly in the area.  go figure, eh?

1 hour ago, Pencil said:

Found my first hatchet today in a tool box in the hangar! yay!  still no firearms at all...  and haven't seen a single whetstone yet either...  But I did find a moldy fish, complete with mottled skin, just can't wait to cook it and probably get food poisoning!  lol