TFTFT: Mods that work

Kranium

So, has anyone tried any mods with the new DLC yet? I only tried one - DeveloperConsole, and it's a no-go. NO crashing or anything, you just can't use it. (F1 doesn't work) IDK if it's the mod or if MelonLoader needs an update now, too. Probably both.

I had installed this about a week ago to test it out - thought I might "continue" an old save using this mod, by manually re-adding most of my essential gear from that run.

Anyway, here's a place to post mod updates, for now.

I couldn't get anything to launch, so I systematically whittled down the list.  Still no go after I had finally wiped the whole folder and when I finally did get a launch, my mouse didn't work and I was just frozen in place.
Ended up pulling everything including Melonloader and did a full fresh install, game is just flying along now mod free.

...but oh, how I miss remove clutter and place anywhere...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

...but oh, how I miss remove clutter and place anywhere...

Oh yes Piddy I am with you. For me I also have to add Item Piles to your list.

I really hope the wonderful modders are able to revive the tools they created for us. I had hoped for some sensible changes by HTL for things like removing clutter, better placement and stacking. But alas no.

I will wait with fingers crossed the modders will be able to restore their work. I am incredibly grateful to them!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

Oh yes Piddy I am with you. For me I also have to add Item Piles to your list.

I really hope the wonderful modders are able to revive the tools they created for us. I had hoped for some sensible changes by HTL for things like removing clutter, better placement and stacking. But alas no.

I will wait with fingers crossed the modders will be able to restore their work. I am incredibly grateful to them!

Indeed!  I hope they update their work soon as I have become so accustomed to having my fox companion follow me around that I really miss seeing the little guy underfoot.  But yes, a big thank you to the modding community for their effort and dedication to their creations.  They took a great game and just made it better!

• Upvote 1

Here's an announcement from the TLD modding discord:

"Modding may be a little bit away. The game now uses a newer Unity version and Melonloader doesn't work on that version yet. It may be several weeks before you can use mods on the latest game version.

In the meantime, you can use the time capsule to revert your game back to before the update and play mods on that if you wish.

Rest assured that modding is not dead for The Long Dark. We'll get through this, even if it takes a lot of patience."

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, APixelatedLemon said:

"Modding may be a little bit away. The game now uses a newer Unity version and Melonloader doesn't work on that version yet. It may be several weeks before you can use mods on the latest game version.

In the meantime, you can use the time capsule to revert your game back to before the update and play mods on that if you wish.

Rest assured that modding is not dead for The Long Dark. We'll get through this, even if it takes a lot of patience."

Thanks for the heads up.  I suspected that addressing these changes wasn't going to be a quick and easy fix. 
And again a big Thank You to the awesome talents of our dedicated community of mod content creators!

as my granddaddy used to say - Anything good is worth waiting for...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 8:22 AM, APixelatedLemon said:

Well, seems like the Melonloader team has given us a nice Christmas present.

Melonloader has been updated to 0.6.0. It is an alpha release (I think), but it does mean that mods can now be updated to the newest release to TLD.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

On 12/25/2022 at 11:02 AM, APixelatedLemon said:

Well, seems like the Melonloader team has given us a nice Christmas present.

Melonloader has been updated to 0.6.0. It is an alpha release (I think), but it does mean that mods can now be updated to the newest release to TLD.

Github still has 0.5.7 as latest release?  I know 6 was out but was more for devs at this point (if I recall from Discord) and required some special handling to get it to work.

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Github still has 0.5.7 as latest release?  I know 6 was out but was more for devs at this point (if I recall from Discord) and required some special handling to get it to work.

1. Download the 0.5.7 installer from github.

2. Open up the installer

3. Go to settings

4. Click the "Show alpha pre-releases" box at the bottom left

5. go back to automated

6. 0.6.0 should show up in the version selection box

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, APixelatedLemon said:

1. Download the 0.5.7 installer from github.

2. Open up the installer

3. Go to settings

4. Click the "Show alpha pre-releases" box at the bottom left

5. go back to automated

6. 0.6.0 should show up in the version selection box

Thank you!  Think I'm going to wait for things to stabilize a bit before I attempt mods.