TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY - Technical Issues FAQ

Admin

TFTFT-laucnch-steam-library-spotlight-banner.thumb.png.0086f027f70af3a6c040b9a08a9a12c4.png

NOTE: Closing this thread --  your feedback is hugely appreciated. 

For future technical discussions, please visit our 
Known Issues and Updates page. It will provide information moving forward. 

TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY - Issues FAQ

We may add to, or update, this post as need arises. In the meantime, here are answers to some commonly asked (technical) questions  for TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY! 

Why isn't my copy of WINTERMUTE showing up?
If you previously purchased the game, you should still have WINTERMUTE! On Steam, please right-click on Properties for THE LONG DARK, ensure WINTERMUTE is selected, and try restarting Steam. That should fix the issue. 

If you continue to encounter issues, please reach out to Steam for additional support: https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithPurchase

2064628578_image(8).thumb.png.959f3ab9376e1cebb1b1fdf46ad86cf3.png

Why is my Mac build showing an error message? 
Please note that the Mac build isn't currently live for TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, and Mac players should not attempt to download the update. Unfortunately, we encountered an issue with the Unity engine that impacts only the Mac build of THE LONG DARK. We are working with Unity to resolve the issue, but this means that TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, and the free updates to THE LONG DARK, will not be available for Mac on December 5th. We will provide an update as the situation unfolds.

My previous save isn't working after the update, what can I do? 

Unfortunately, your previous Survival saves WILL NOT work with the game once it has been updated. This is true even if you don't buy the Expansion Pass (however, you will not lose your saves until the Expansion Update is available on your chosen platform). This means that you can continue to play your current save until TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY is available to you. 

You will, however, be able to continue to use your current Save Games on an older version of the game on Steam, using our Time Capsule feature. Since this is an older version, you won't have access to any of the new content or enhancements that are going into both the Base Game, and the Expansion Pass.

For more information, please visit the Expansion Pass FAQ: https://www.thelongdark.com/expansion/faq/ 

My issue isn't listed, what can I do? 
We're happy to help! Please reach out to us via the Support Portal: hinterlandgames.com/support
Please note that it may take more time than usual to receive a response as we assist people following the launch. Thank you for your patience. 

• Upvote 1

I lost Wintermute completely, I'm being asked to purchase it.
The expansion, despite being present and checked in the Properties/DLC panel, is unavailable in the game.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled/restarted Steam and my computer three times.
Support ticket is in but I can't be the only one.

• Upvote 1

I am stuck at the "Disclaimer" "Loading". The game does not load. This is a steam install and I have Wintermute and the Tales from the Far Territory in the library. I've tried to reinstall the game three times, but it still get stuck at "Loading". Verifying the game files does not seem to help.

The strange thing is that the DLCs are still listed as possible to buy, even though I have bought them? I even double checked Pay Pal to be sure the sum had been withdrawn, which it had.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

I lost Wintermute completely, I'm being asked to purchase it.
The expansion, despite being present and checked in the Properties/DLC panel, is unavailable in the game.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled/restarted Steam and my computer three times.
Support ticket is in but I can't be the only one.

Same issue here.  My launch page says the Wintermute content is missing paid content.

All my issues seem to have resolved.
I uninstalled the game and shut down my computer for about an hour and a half.

When I went back in, my steam install file was back up to 11 gigs and I got Wintermute back.
The expansion is also working, but I had to toggle the checkbox to get it to reinstall.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jotunheim said:

I am stuck at the "Disclaimer" "Loading". The game does not load. This is a steam install and I have Wintermute and the Tales from the Far Territory in the library. I've tried to reinstall the game three times, but it still get stuck at "Loading". Verifying the game files does not seem to help.

The strange thing is that the DLCs are still listed as possible to buy, even though I have bought them? I even double checked Pay Pal to be sure the sum had been withdrawn, which it had.

Same thing here.  Steam shows both TFTFT, and Wintermute as being in the library.   I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and I get stuck on the Disclaimer loading screen.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RJIII said:

Same issue with the no Wintermute tried uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooting and such no luck. I'm sure it will get resolved just wanted to report it. 

Check the size of your install file. If it is 6gigs there is a problem. If you have an 11 gig install file it should be there but you might have to launch the game and where you see Buy next to wintermute, click on it. 

you wont be charged and it somehow makes steam see you have it. 

also if you can get the DLCs to appear in the DLC window, uncheck and check them. 

Edited by stapeliad
  • Upvote 1

I also lost access to wintermute after the latest update. 

I preordered the game years ago and got my key through the hinterland website.

Now it has been downgraded to survival only :( 

I've tried the tips and tricks in this thread, but that's not working.
I do not have the wintermute dlc. I would have to pay for it to get access again.  I don't see how steam can help me with a purchase I made in 2014, and I did not even buy it through their store.

We need a fix from hinterland to this. Either a surefire way to solve it or you need to roll out the dlc to people who purchased it through your website.

edit: I'm curious if the people who are having issues getting access to wintemute are all people who backed the game before early access?

I would also love it if someone who did back the game before early access can confirm they still have access to wintermute.

Edited by speedio
question to the community.
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, speedio said:

I also lost access to wintermute after the latest update. 

I preordered the game years ago and got my key through the hinterland website.

Now it has been downgraded to survival only :( 

I've tried the tips and tricks in this thread, but that's not working.
I do not have the wintermute dlc. I would have to pay for it to get access again.  I don't see how steam can help me with a purchase I made in 2014, and I did not even buy it through their store.

We need a fix from hinterland to this. Either a surefire way to solve it or you need to roll out the dlc to people who purchased it through your website.

edit: I'm curious if the people who are having issues getting access to wintemute are all people who backed the game before early access?

I would also love it if someone who did back the game before early access can confirm they still have access to wintermute.

It might be more of an issue with those of us who have had the game for many years.  I also purchased mine in 2015 thru the Hinterland site but activated the code in Steam. (I was not a backer but have been playing since the first release.)

All I can say is on my end, it literally just magically re-appeared.  Uninstall the game, quit everything, and wait for a while.  If your install file is 11 gigs it's good, then you just have to mess around with clicking on buy from the in-game menu and switching the check boxes on and off via the properties/DLC window.

Hinterland support did respond to me (after the issue resolved itself) but I had already done what they suggested and it hadn't previously worked.

Eventually you should see both:image.png.d4ca7928e845ddd38ab6ba89c7211454.png

Edited by stapeliad
  • Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, moistsack said:

I'm in the same boat. Tried reinstalling, restarting steam, etc.

My copy of TLD says I purchased back in 2017

1116259230_Screenshot2022-12-06140103.png.ac25b351774e4ec6f000509e1fab6b7f.png

but Wintermute is definitely MIA

403582754_Screenshot2022-12-06140149.png.b222c3f4c968ca18e2a40d5095c864ef.png\

Submitted a ticket to steam. See how we go.

How did you end up submitting a ticket to Steam? I couldn't find the right category that really matched with this issue

4 minutes ago, RJIII said:

How did you end up submitting a ticket to Steam? I couldn't find the right category that really matched with this issue

I did it through my tales purchase and said I have a question about this purchase. Definitely not 100% accurate for the category but hopefully it will work out!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DavidKS said:

Same thing here.  Steam shows both TFTFT, and Wintermute as being in the library.   I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and I get stuck on the Disclaimer loading screen.  

My issue was resolved with updating to the Nvidia 527.37 driver.

I have the same problem as everyone else here..

After the update i couldnt launch the Wintermute option 

i can only play survival mode 

when i press on the wintermute text the game suddenly crash for no reason not showing any message 

i tried to re-install the game verify etc.. nothing helped 

I'm also missing Wintermute.

Was a kickstarter backer and activated the game in august 2014.

Bought TFFT, updated the game and now I don't have the Wintermute DCL.

Tried to restart Steam but nothing (DLC not showing as purchased).

Tried to uninstall and reinstall the game, still nothing (the game is 6gb large, so no story mode installing).

Any other tip to try?

I've opened a ticket on Steam and contacted HinterlandGames but still no answer