FireAddons embers

wyskass

https://github.com/ttr/tld-fireAddons

So, I've been enjoying the changes from this mod, but am not too sure how to use the embers feature. A low burning fire will create more embers which will continue to put out heat after the flames go out. I've run many campfires, as this is just the way it behaves.  But in the game and based on description it seems like there is a transfer between the burning fuel and ember burn and times just shift between the two burns based on temps. By keeping below the 30 degree threshold, we get more embers.

But I can't tell if the combined time stays the same or not. If making more embers lowers the flame burn time, what's the advantage? How can this mechanic be used best in the game. The advantage I would see is keeping warmth for longer at the cost of lower initial burn temps. What am I missing here?

Also, can someone explain the use of the embers box? It just look like a way to keep embers hot for an hour or so, but then what?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

I only used it on one game and then uninstalled it. It's not really that useful to me and simply cluttered up my inventory even more. It could likely be more useful in Loper like difficulties where matches and other fire sources are very rare. If I remember rightly the embers die eventually and you need to restock.

Sorry I can't be more help. 

• Upvote 1

The embers in Fire Addons will allow embers to last a lot longer, if you don't let the fire get too hot. Basically the logic is, a hotter fire burns through fuel more completely, while a relatively cooler one won't. Resulting in embers that last a longer duration. While realistic I don't find it terribly useful in practice. I mean it's not THAT big a deal to just remember to add more fuel to a fire before it goes out.

The Ember Box is actually part of the Fire Pack mod. It's a reusable but short-lived firestarter that decays 5% per hour, and can be repaired 50% with a charcoal. An ember box can actually contribute towards a more realistic style of play where you cook your food and boil your water as you need it, vs. leaving it outside in the snow and boiling up hundreds of liters of water in bottles that magically appear out of nowhere.

I personally like the Ember Box, coupled with Realistic Water Management, to where you might literally not have a means of carrying water with you. In which case you boil up what you need when you need it, drink your fill, and dump the excess before heading out. Does it make the game "easier" being able to start fires essentially at will? Maybe. But I mean I have never once run out of matches, ever. On vanilla I just wait for sunny days, mag lens up my bear/moose and a 50 liters of water, so one might argue the Ember Box solves a problem that doesn't exist. But as a counterpoint, it can completely change the way you play the game, which makes it a surprisingly interesting item to have. And interesting gameplay is better than difficult gameplay IMO.

Of course you can also craft a bow drill using the same mod, which decays only with use. To me, THAT makes the game too easy. The Ember Box you at least have to diligently maintain, as you can't even go a single day without repairing it or it'll go out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

And interesting gameplay is better than difficult gameplay IMO.

Thanks for clearing that up. I do agree that interesting is better than difficult. The mods I enjoy are making changes to what feels intuitive to how things work which ends up naturally being more realistic. I don't seek max difficulty achievement badges and stuff like that that. A challenge sure, but not contrived.

So, whether the embers mechanic is useful or not, to me is secondary, to ensuring fires behaves as fires do, even without using embers.

Is lowering the temperature of the fire, supposed to make it last longer?

That is something something that would be useful to stay above a minimal warmth threshold but for a maximum amount of time while sleeping and keeping animals away. I wasn't able to notice this when I was looking at the times and temps.