To all you modders - future of mods?

hozz1235

I have thoroughly enjoyed TLD mods all you modders have made over the years - thank you!

I'm curious, with the "new" TLD coming out, how will that affect you?  Will the mods need to be updated?  Has HL made it possible for you to update all the existing mods?  

8 minutes ago, Digitalzombie said:

Short version:

Mods will need to be updated before you can play with them again, HL hasn't given out any tools, we will still be able to update.

Will just take a bit of time and work. We are pretty confident.

Outstanding!!  Thanks for all you guys do!

• Upvote 1

Good question!

6 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

@Digitalzombie, Initially, we just need to "turn off" Melon Loader until some mods are compatible, correct?

I'm gonna presume that not all mods will be broken?  Assuming Melonloader will still work,  those mods needing attention will just show up in red?  And since those aren't working and presumably need to be updated, should we just delete those all together?

Most TLD updates/versions cause a mod breaking, but this does not apply to all mods.

For a example, the 1.95 version it's, currently, the last mod-breaking version. But there are mods created around early 2021 (And not updated) still working today, while several mods are now broken or have been updated.

This update it's something new and HL have changed a lot about the save system, and likely the entire code of the game. We should spect a full-mod breaking version, but as said before on this topic, this can be fixed updating the mods 🤩

On 12/1/2022 at 11:36 AM, ajb1978 said:

If some modder figures out how to convert old saves to work with the new release, pretty sure there's a Nobel prize of some sort for that.

Unlikely, but i think something can be doed to attemp a partial restore of an old save. 

The save location it's currently  %LocalAppData%\Hinterland\TheLongDark . In this website https://www.saveeditonline.com/ , you can edit your save. However, editing the current save it is not useful, but you can use the stored data to try a 'Restore' of your old save in the new ones. However, it's likely the new saves will not be compatible if you 'Copy-paste' an old save, but MAYBE you can just edit manually the fields that define what your old save was (Stats, progression,items, etc), without making the new save incompatible and maybe making it work as a way to keep playing your old save with the new content.  Not sure if this could work, but surely not.

• Upvote 2

On 12/1/2022 at 10:17 PM, piddy3825 said:

Assuming Melonloader will still work,  those mods needing attention will just show up in red?

MelonLoader itself won't be a problem. Since its a universal loader, it already supports all kinds of new (and old) Unity versions.

Mods that won't work will throw errors in red, yes. But there are very very few mods that are "simple" enough to maybe still work. @Glacia described it pretty well.

xpazeman will update the modlist also soon. The old mod versions are kept (for timecapsule) and we've been talking about how to organize it for the DLC/non DLC versions. Maybe we even get some categories now to sort our mods :D

On 12/1/2022 at 4:09 PM, hozz1235 said:

Initially, we just need to "turn off" Melon Loader until some mods are compatible, correct?

Pretty much. But since we don't know if we may loose some mods (modders not active anymore), I'd recommend a fresh mod installation later. Doesn't make much sense keeping old mod files around.

What you can do, is to make a copy of the complete current TLD folder. Rename the copy to "TLD with mods" or move it outside the Steam folder. This way you can always play the new version through Steam or the old modded version, without jumping through the time capsule. Steam only updates files in the original game folder. Need to make sure to save/load the right save files with the right version of course.

• Upvote 1

I play with mods as well, and often voice my appreciation to modders themselves.

But with each major update I uninstall melonloader...mainly because I want to experience what Hinterland has changed and improved themselves.

Then if I find something lacking I can then install mods as they've been fixed to work with the latest version.

2 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

But with each major update I uninstall melonloader...mainly because I want to experience what Hinterland has changed and improved themselves.

Same here. I personally like realism mods like Better Water Management or Better Fuel Management that make containers a resource, but sometimes it's nice to get back to basics. i.e. magic water bottles!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...