TLD can be extremely difficult!

peteloud

I haven't played TLD for several months, since Ash Canyon came out and I updated all of my saved games.  But since the miserable, start of winter weather in Britain I have been very bored, so I returned to TLD. I normally play straight Stalker or Voyager games.  Apart from saving my games, I don't use any cheats, sorry, mods, that make the games easier.  I have never seen a loot table, nor used one. I have probably spent more hours playing TLD than 99+% of players.

So I returned to an old Interloper game.  I don't like interloper.  If played without cheating, i.e. using loot tables, it is no fun.  I usually have better things to do with my life than than give myself stress that might give me a heart attack.  But I was very bored.  The game I retuned to was a 49 day Interloper game that I'd not touched for a long time.  I was out in Milton Basin and in poor shape.  My condition was around 15%, I had next to no food, had a clothing warmth bonus of about 14-15°.  I had no knife, axe or bow.  I believe that none of the more powerful and useful equipment is available unless you edit your save file. So that's my background.

What I found was that the game was incredibly difficult and, as already known, no fun whatsoever.  I had many tries to recover my situatipn which didn't seem too bad.  But every time, many times, I slipped in to the Long Dark.  It was just as well that I saved my games.   In the end I got out to a place where it suddenly became easy.  My condition is around 55% so I am in position to try and find a knife, axe and make a bow and arrows.  From now on it's easier.

It might seem that I am strongly against the use of mods or loot tables to make the game easier.  Well, that is only partly true.    If such things are what people want and helps HTL sell the game, I'm OK with it.   What I am particularly against is the bullshitting where players using those cheats boast of their epic runs when it was all achieved by the use of the cheats. 

Back to the game.

• Upvote 1

As long as items spawn in fixed locations, there are going to be people either using a reference (loot table) or even just their own memory earned by repetition to get to those items before they take the unknown time and effort to find randomized loot in the game.  Is using one's knowledge from repeated runs of the game cheating?  I don't think anyone would say it would be... so using a reference really is no different IMO.  It just speeds up memorizing it first hand (avoids each player having to recreate their own "loot table" in their head or in notes, so to speak). 

Of course, the alternative is to make loot spawns completely random, but then it makes it possible that one can spawn in a zone where there isn't a single ignition source one run and then spawn near to 100 matches the next run... or spawn in a world that is completely devoid of, say, a hammer - making it impossible to forge.  Would that be better (making the game more fun) or would it be just more frustrating?

I'll leave the question unanswered myself... we'll see what happens with the new update.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I'm still finding loot in different areas  even after numerous runs.  Sure ,some of its memorised but that does Not make it cheating.  

You know where there's loot but you can't guarantee what specific loot it is.   

On this yet another new run I've been to hrv,Milton,mystery and briefly through PV and I still haven't found any underwear.  It is still occasionally unpredictable .  As it should be. 

And honestly you're not being fair to people . Some  really struggle with this game ,quite understandably,and looking for help is not cheating.  And it's up to the individual how they play.the only person they need to explain their actions to is themselves. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'm still finding loot in different areas  even after numerous runs.  Sure ,some of its memorised but that does Not make it cheating.  

You know where there's loot but you can't guarantee what specific loot it is.   

On this yet another new run I've been to hrv,Milton,mystery and briefly through PV and I still haven't found any underwear.  It is still occasionally unpredictable .  As it should be. 

And honestly you're not being fair to people . Some  really struggle with this game ,quite understandably,and looking for help is not cheating.  And it's up to the individual how they play.the only person they need to explain their actions to is themselves. 

Exactly.  I don't think the old loot tables were actually a bad thing.  They served to give the game an element of predictability while maintaining a corresponding element of randomness.  We could count on being able to find the most essential items in every run starting while still being able to be surprised by random finds in unexpected locations.  I don't think by redoing them now that HL is totally abandoning the game to random chance.  It may "feel" more random... at least until some people science it enough to figure out the "system" programmed into the game (and  I anticipate there will still be a form of "loot table" mechanics in the game).  No doubt, "cheating" accusations will continue regardless no matter what players are actually doing - modding, using references, or even just "sciencing" and memorizing things based on their own experiences.  That just seems to be in the nature of "gamers" (shrug).

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, peteloud said:

I haven't played TLD for several months, since Ash Canyon came out and I updated all of my saved games.  But since the miserable, start of winter weather in Britain I have been very bored, so I returned to TLD. I normally play straight Stalker or Voyager games.  Apart from saving my games, I don't use any cheats, sorry, mods, that make the games easier.  I have never seen a loot table, nor used one. I have probably spent more hours playing TLD than 99+% of players.

So I returned to an old Interloper game.  I don't like interloper.  If played without cheating, i.e. using loot tables, it is no fun.  I usually have better things to do with my life than than give myself stress that might give me a heart attack.  But I was very bored.  The game I retuned to was a 49 day Interloper game that I'd not touched for a long time.  I was out in Milton Basin and in poor shape.  My condition was around 15%, I had next to no food, had a clothing warmth bonus of about 14-15°.  I had no knife, axe or bow.  I believe that none of the more powerful and useful equipment is available unless you edit your save file. So that's my background.

What I found was that the game was incredibly difficult and, as already known, no fun whatsoever.  I had many tries to recover my situatipn which didn't seem too bad.  But every time, many times, I slipped in to the Long Dark.  It was just as well that I saved my games.   In the end I got out to a place where it suddenly became easy.  My condition is around 55% so I am in position to try and find a knife, axe and make a bow and arrows.  From now on it's easier.

It might seem that I am strongly against the use of mods or loot tables to make the game easier.  Well, that is only partly true.    If such things are what people want and helps HTL sell the game, I'm OK with it.   What I am particularly against is the bullshitting where players using those cheats boast of their epic runs when it was all achieved by the use of the cheats.

Ive played about 1300 RL hours in survival mode interloper and never ever used loot tables or any other help. When i started playing i wanted to go interloper and did but i could not get past day 1. I got some advice from a pro player that the first thing i need to do is actually learn the terrain on lower difficulty and then start interloper - otherwise it will be super hard. So i did that and my first run was voyager. Took me 250 days to go almost everywhere and get comfortable with the terrain/map, get all skills to lvl 5 know the mechanics. After that i only played interloper and after playing it for some time i know where to go, what to do first etc. dont need loot tables or anything else really.

Day 49 interloper game without tools and bow is doomed to failure most likely. You should have done that 1st and by day 20 (MAX !) have tools and bow already. This is the first thing really that you need to do. Spawn, find fire asap, make some water, loot loot loot, move move move, find hacksaw, cut down birch and maple saplings, get 2 guts, leave them to cure for ex. in Camp Office ML and go to Forlom Muskeg to craft ASAP !!!! Without this you will run out of food and will not be able to hunt and therefore craft clothes. Basically you start to die.  A lot of ppl that never played interloper make same error -the gameplay on this difficulty is diffrent than on pilgrim, voyager and even stalker. On lower difficulties you dont have to craft clothes, tools and weapons bcoz you can find everything in the world. On interloper is diffrent. Sure you can find (and must find asap) bedroll, an arrowhead, and hammer/hatchet etc but you will never find tools or weapons - you need to make them asap in order to survive so the whole start of the game and what you should do is diffrent than on the 3 other difficulties.

So if you want to "try and find a knife, axe..." you wont. Get hacksaw, hammer, get scrap metal, ideally leave 2 guts and some birch and maple saplings to cure in the meantime, get some coal and go craft asap !! Basically the start of interloper is just a gauntlet to get forging started as soon as possible - i got up to a point i can do it from a random spawn(always on interloper)in up to 9 ingame days.

Edited by James Hickok
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, James Hickok said:

So if you want to "try and find a knife, axe..." you wont. . . .

That is where I have had it wrong.  I was expecting to find an axe and a knife, and searched and searched when I should have been forging them.

I found a few heavy hammers, which was unusual, perhaps that was a clue.  I have a hacksaw and found tons of coal. So forging would have been easy.  Thanks for that suggestion. 

At the moment I am at PV Farmhouse on day 63.  I shall return to the Dam where I think I left a heavy hammer then go to the RIKEN which is my favourite forge.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, peteloud said:

That is where I have had it wrong.  I was expecting to find an axe and a knife, and searched and searched when I should have been forging them.

I found a few heavy hammers, which was unusual, perhaps that was a clue.  I have a hacksaw and found tons of coal. So forging would have been easy.  Thanks for that suggestion. 

At the moment I am at PV Farmhouse on day 63.  I shall return to the Dam where I think I left a heavy hammer then go to the RIKEN which is my favourite forge.

I guess you can still save this run maybe. 

If you havent already its wise to cure guts, maple and birch while you go forging so it is rdy when u come back. Try to take 30 scrap with you. Take at least 2 cloth. On first craft i like to make 1 of each tool (still a lot if whetstones around in early game) and rest arrows. 

I hold my thumbs up for you.  Keep the fire burning ;)

2 hours ago, James Hickok said:

I guess you can still save this run maybe.

I had not left a heavy hammer at the ML Office as I thought, I had to go a stage further back, to Trappers. Now I have the hammer, it should be simple.  Except, at Trappers I am suffering from Cabin Fever.  I tried to avoid this by sleeping at the nearby cave but that must count as causing Cabin Fever too.  It's strange.  Some caves seem to cause Cabin Fever, some don't.  It is a bit of a problem as everywhere is so bloody cold.

If I remember it correctly, caves (places with only 1 entrance and no transition) don't cause cabin fever, but grottos do. If there's a transition zone, like the one next to Trapper's, then you can get cabin fever because you're not in the open. This is as far as I understand it.

The strangest thing about all of this is: I never got cabin fever ;)

Edited by DaGnome91
add info
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DaGnome91 said:

If I remember it correctly, caves (places with only 1 entrance and no transition) don't cause cabin fever, . . .

That fits in with what I have just experienced.  When at the ML Office I used the cave near the nearest lakeside cabins to avoid Cabin Fever, and that was OK.

11 hours ago, peteloud said:

I had not left a heavy hammer at the ML Office as I thought, I had to go a stage further back, to Trappers. Now I have the hammer, it should be simple.  Except, at Trappers I am suffering from Cabin Fever.  I tried to avoid this by sleeping at the nearby cave but that must count as causing Cabin Fever too.  It's strange.  Some caves seem to cause Cabin Fever, some don't.  It is a bit of a problem as everywhere is so bloody cold.

If u have scrap metal , hammer and coal ready i would suggest going to Forlom Muskeg Forge and start forging there. Its a open barn so you will not get cabin fever/your cabin fever will go away there. Lots of cattails -=> You need food for forging and crafting. I would suggest gathering at least 40 - 50 of them.

Do you have cabin fever or just affliction? How are you doing food wise?

If you have food and are not feeling comfortable traversing Forlom Muskeg you should go back to Camp Office get to Overlook Cave just outside the Office, you need to go up the hill a bit and take a right still up the hill, then a bit left. Its easy to get there. There are rabbits outside and you can cure ur fever there and go Riken if you wish but i would not recommend that foodwise without the means of hunting. You will just run out of food and get cabin fever again from sitting in the ship.

What i noticed lately is that no matter how much % of cabin fever affliction i have it goes away instantly when i enter a cave.

Edited by James Hickok

59 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

If u have scrap metal , hammer and coal ready i would suggest going to Forlom Muskeg Forge and start forging there. Its a open barn so you will not get cabin fever/your cabin fever will go away there. Lots of cattails -=> You need food for forging and crafting. I would suggest gathering at least 40 - 50 of them.

Do you have cabin fever or just affliction? How are you doing food wise?

If you have food and are not feeling comfortable traversing Forlom Muskeg you should go back to Camp Office get to Overlook Cave just outside the Office, you need to go up the hill a bit and take a right still up the hill, then a bit left. Its easy to get there. There are rabbits outside and you can cure ur fever there and go Riken if you wish but i would not recommend that foodwise without the means of hunting. You will just run out of food and get cabin fever again from sitting in the ship.

What i noticed lately is that no matter how much % of cabin fever affliction i have it goes away instantly when i enter a cave.

I  had Cabin Fever proper, not jut the warning. That surprised me.  In the past I have had warnings about the onset of Cabin Fever, this time it seemed that I developed Cabin Fever without warnings. To recover from that I went to the cave near closest laskeside cabins as they are much easier to get to than the Overlook. 

One puzzle that I haven't solved is fishing.  Earlier, from the ML Office I went out to a fishing hut three times and fished for around 4 or 5 hours each time and did not catch any fish.  I've never had it that bad previously.

I am at the Overlook now.  The main attraction there is the deer carcass that will give me food and a deer hide, and the rabbits.  Getting those is a problem due to a blizzard.

After there I shall head upstream collecting cattails then pop into the dam from which I can pop out to Winding River to another deer carcass for more meat and a hide.  After that it will be a dash up to Riken.  Originally I assumed that I would find a knife, axe and/or bow and arrow or two enroute.  Now I realise that I will not.  That is a long journey to make with poor clothing and freezing weather. There will be few cattails along that route so I expect serious food problems.  Earlier in this game I had problems with wolves in FM.  As my condition was so low I was easily killed in any wolf encounter.

One big mistake I made early in this game was to try and find a moose backpack in HRV.  I had assumed that I would find an axe so getting to the smoking fires would not be a problem.  I wasted much time getting there, searching and getting out.

If I had read a 'cheat' sheet, Ooops! I shouldn't use that word, it upsets cheaters, and known that axes and knives could not be found I would have played the game very differently.  If I had looked at loot tables I would have known where to go to find an axe and knife, and I guess, warm clothes.  It would have been as easy as Voyager.

I am finding that playing a straight Interloper game is no fun at all.  It is too difficult.  It is not rexlaxing.   I can see why people use the cheats, Ooops!, should I say helpful information from outside the game.

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

I  had Cabin Fever proper, not jut the warning. That surprised me.  In the past I have had warnings about the onset of Cabin Fever, this time it seemed that I developed Cabin Fever without warnings. To recover from that I went to the cave near closest laskeside cabins as they are much easier to get to than the Overlook. 

One puzzle that I haven't solved is fishing.  Earlier, from the ML Office I went out to a fishing hut three times and fished for around 4 or 5 hours each time and did not catch any fish.  I've never had it that bad previously.

Its pure RNG. Sometimes you wont get any, sometimes you get 3 bass in 2 hours. Sometimes line breaks four times in a row on lvl 5 fishing. RNG.

After there I shall head upstream collecting cattails then pop into the dam from which I can pop out to Winding River to another deer carcass for more meat and a hide.  After that it will be a dash up to Riken.  Originally I assumed that I would find a knife, axe and/or bow and arrow or two enroute.  Now I realise that I will not.  That is a long journey to make with poor clothing and freezing weather. There will be few cattails along that route so I expect serious food problems.  Earlier in this game I had problems with wolves in FM.  As my condition was so low I was easily killed in any wolf encounter.

Taht is why i would choose Forlom Muskeg - loads fo food. If you have problems with the wolves there take a rope from overlook go to the ravine and take a flarepistol from the wrecked train, get scrap from dam and go FM to forge. That is what i would do in your position.

One big mistake I made early in this game was to try and find a moose backpack in HRV.  I had assumed that I would find an axe so getting to the smoking fires would not be a problem.  I wasted much time getting there, searching and getting out.

You will never ever find a moose satchel on Interloper. You will find 1 kilo of moose meat at the signal fire. If ur super lucky you can find Bear skin coat in AC but i never did.

If I had read a 'cheat' sheet, Ooops! I shouldn't use that word, it upsets cheaters, and known that axes and knives could not be found I would have played the game very differently.  If I had looked at loot tables I would have known where to go to find an axe and knife, and I guess, warm clothes.  It would have been as easy as Voyager.

You dont need to look at loot tables to know that on interloper there is no tools to find, no matches and bedroll on start. Its in the desription.

THIS

Interloper

XpMode Interloper.png  

You are not part of Mother Nature's plan, and you will bear the full force of her wrath. The true test of Human VS Nature.

A punishing survival experience. You are an unwelcome guest in this cold, hostile world. Best suited for expert players looking for the ultimate survival challenge. Available in survival and some challenge modes only.

I am finding that playing a straight Interloper game is no fun at all.  It is too difficult.  It is not rexlaxing.   I can see why people use the cheats, Ooops!, should I say helpful information from outside the game.

The problem is not the cheats but You who dont know the Interloper setting that well and the tactic for it. Bringing up the "cheats" is silly. I personally find Interloper relaxing and it took me some time to know what i know. If you dont like it or find it really hard just leave it. When i started playing Loper after i died i had more energy and eagerness to try again and succeed this time. It's how i am.

I have to admit i got to a point maxing out difficulty setting in this game that it wasnt relaxing and so fun. That is NOGOA setting. Ive made some runs here and there but its too punishing. You have to be on the edge of the knife at all times, all times and that after some time can be tiring.

I have found an ideal setting for me tho that is harder than interloper but still fun while hard and i intend to start on it when the update hits. Atm im making some test runs and i love this setting.

I call it Super Interloper - i only took the sleeping life regeneration off of the setting and left the lowest day regeneration. This successfully prevents me from "wasting" life by tanking the cold or gathering limbs - you just cant regenerate it in the night thus you need to preserve it.

I have a feeling if you choose to go to Riken you will fail the run but even if you do i hope that you try again. And no you dont need cheats for that (are there even any?) Loot table is not a cheat rly and tbh the more places you go in the beggining of the game the better off you are in terms of gear so cutting that trip short by knowing where to go to find a hammer for ex is in my opinion worse for the player. Its better to just check the locations urself ( you will know the locations by heart after hours of playing trust me).

Keep me informed of ur run please. Take care.

Edited by James Hickok

On 11/24/2022 at 11:13 AM, James Hickok said:

Keep me informed of ur run please. Take care.

My trip out to Riken turned out much better than expected.  Once in DP there were loads of coal and Riken is full of scrap.

However I made a couple of very silly major mistakes and a couple of minor mistakes too, on the way.  On an overnight stay I dropped my birch saplings, deer hides and guts and forgot to pick them up.  So that once I got to Riken and made axe, knife and arrowheads I could not make a bow or arrows.

I am now on my way back to try and find the gear I dropped, but it's tricky.  I cleaned out almost all of the food on the way out, so now it is difficult.  When I find the guts and birch saplings I'll then have to travel further to find a workbench. 

I have already died more than a dozen times, fortunately I cheated and saved as I went along.  That earlier carelessness will probably put me in an irrecoverable state soon.

4 hours ago, peteloud said:

I have already died more than a dozen times, fortunately I cheated and saved as I went along.  That earlier carelessness will probably put me in an irrecoverable state soon.

That's what kind of irritates me about your previous comments on people using the loot tables as "cheating."  IMO, using save backups to get around the permadeath feature of this game that deletes your save upon death is a far bigger "cheat" than looking up a few probable loot locations on a loot table.  I do wish you all the best, but I hope you realize you actually lost this run the moment you died on it the first time and whatever days survived your journal now reads is a lie.

ETA:  I would love it if HL put in an option into the Custom settings to allow respawn at death... along with an adjustment to the journal that changes "Days Survived" to "Consecutive Days Survived" and inserts a death counter and a notation on the day when the character died.  This would correct the "journal lie" I mentioned.  Not everyone wants to play permadeath... and they should have that option legitimately, IMO.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

I haven’t seen any mention of BR….

I’ve found in my interloper runs that skipping on FM and moving to BR has helped me tactically much more when it comes to forging arrow heads and a knife.  

There’s also a wealth of cattails along the way.  

Pick up plenty of coal in one of the mines while making the trip there, save flares for starting the forge if you can’t find matches, stay prepped with torches.  

Build a HOT fire when skinning deer, RIGHT next to the deer. Cut the meat out first and have it cooking while harvesting the remaining hide and guts.  

There are fewer wolves in interloper, and walking away from them isn’t hard.  Just ignore the creepy music.

ML hunters stand in the clearing up river from the lake: bedroll.

Don’t forget to take a trip to Milton on the way from ML to BR.  It’s worth the trip for food and matches.  

Don’t forget, the flare will always spawn at the bottom of the Ravine in the ML to CH transition.  Good for bears…

And finally, if you don’t like the challenge of interloper THAT much, don’t play it on interloper.  🤷🏻‍♂️

PS: if you read my post and use my suggestions, that’s cheating 🤣🤣🤣

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

I’ve found in my interloper runs that skipping on FM and moving to BR has helped me tactically much more when it comes to forging arrow heads and a knife.  

Pick up plenty of coal in one of the mines while making the trip there, save flares for starting the forge if you can’t find matches, stay prepped with torches.  

Build a HOT fire when skinning deer, RIGHT next to the deer. Cut the meat out first and have it cooking while harvesting the remaining hide and guts.  

There are fewer wolves in interloper, and walking away from them isn’t hard.  Just ignore the creepy music.

Don’t forget to take a trip to Milton on the way from ML to BR.  It’s worth the trip for food and matches.  

Don’t forget, the flare will always spawn at the bottom of the Ravine in the ML to CH transition.  Good for bears…

And finally, if you don’t like the challenge of interloper THAT much, don’t play it on interloper.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: The Flare Gun will spawn at the ravine

10 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

I also like the Broken Railroad forge, but I think most interloper players prefer FM in order to manage the cabin fever risk and they don't like the narrowness of the entrance to the zone.  Personally, I don't like getting to the FM forge over the ice in the heavy fogs that tend to prevail in that area.  I have often ended up breaking through, so I prefer to stay with the tracks (which go into Broken Railroad).  I like desolation point, but I just never seem to be at that corner of the map these days.