Maintenance Yard, ¿Best interloper base?

Glacia

Before the new DLC arrives and the saves get wiped, im trying different playstyles on interloper runs.

On my 500+ played hours and several succesfull loper runs, i always choose coastal highway for mid-long term, but recently i started to test several non-popular regions. Broken railroad it's maybe the most unique region in terms of playstyle, because of how you can exploit the maintenance yard office and use it as your main base, rather than the main building.

First of all, the maintenance yard itself isn't very warm or interesting, yes you have the Forge/Workbench and a lot of reclaimed wood (Seriously, a lot). But the outdoors office it's maybe the best place in the game to avoid cabin fever, cook efficiently and most importantly, killing wolves/bears without any risk.

How to 'Exploit' wolves:

Wolves do not enter the office, they flee once they reach the door/window, but they always charge anyways if you aim. You can stay a few steps behind the main door or the window (Mostly, the window) , then wait for the wolf and shoot him in the head.  Even if you fail the oneshot or the shot misses, the wolf stops at the door and flee, so it's always a no-risk scenario.

Also, you kill the wolf very near the office;  the office have a warmth bonus and you can make a campfire inside, so you can harvest the wolf without losing condition. Also, it's literally meat coming to your door!

About the Bear:

Unlike wolves, the bears does not flee until they reach the door/window, instead they run in circles around the building. However, if you stay in an specific spot for around 10 seconds, the bear will end stuck in the window, with the head exposed for an easy one or twoshot kill. The bear doesn't even attack or flee, as long as you stay a few meters behind the window; so it's a guaranteed and risk-less kill.  Again, you can harvest the entire bear in your warmth and safe office, even on a blizzard as long as you have a campfire.

NOTE:  This is confirmed to work if you have a campfire inside the building, im not sure if this exploit works without a campfire.

Interloper predators are incredible dangerous and this place is one of the best in the game to gather bear/wolf resources. Also, you should never get cabin fever because a single night sleeping in the office it's enough, just put a campfire and goodbye cabin fever!

Im around day 50 on my run, and this place is just amazing. However, the region have some problems:

- You have the Forge and an endless scrap metal resource, but there is not coal in the region. The most close location if the cave at FM, the one thet connects to Milton.

- You need to bring tools to the region in order to stay permanently, it's highly advisable to have a hacksaw and several costure kits (Hammer is mandatory). 

- Earlier or later various resources becomes non-renewable without traveling to other regions (Cloth, saplings). This also applies to every region without beachcombing, but the isolation makes this problem worse.

And various good features aside from the office:

- Weather it's fair, not good as CH but not as bad like pleasant valley. 

- Auroras are frequent, the maintenace yard have several lights outside, you can oneshot aurora wolves if you stay on the safe light. Just bait them to the safe spot, they do not charge at you and stay quiet, becoming an easy kill. 

- Small region, you can travel and gather resources very fast without much condition loss from the cold.

11.png

12.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I have spent 101 days on interloper in this region without leaving it and yes - its a cool region actually.

Ive only had one bear spawn on my run (dont know if there is more) and to keep up well fed for the entire run i had to constantly kill all the wildlife as soon as it  respawned and basically every thing that respawned instantly so the respawn timer resets as fast as it can. I had my base at the hunting lodge tho, near the moose spawn. The bear spawns just down the rope, rabbits can be snared just outside of the lodge on the right, moose and for the cabin fever cave just down the rope from lodge. Cabin fever rarely affects me antyway coz i tend to cook outside and basically trek a lot during the day gathering/killing stuff.

I was amazed how nice it was to live here for over 100 days.

On 11/15/2022 at 2:15 AM, Glacia said:

How to 'Exploit' wolves:

Wolves do not enter the office, they flee once they reach the door/window, but they always charge anyways if you aim. You can stay a few steps behind the main door or the window (Mostly, the window) , then wait for the wolf and shoot him in the head.

This actually works in every interior without doors or where the doors can be opened and stay open. Fishing huts as well.

• Upvote 1