TFT Save incompatibility

hozz1235

I've been seeing more and more posts about people killing off their old saves because they will not be compatible with TFT (Tales from the Far Territory).  Couldn't help but wonder:  what if HL changes their mind (due to player feedback) and does make the old saves compatible?  Doh!

15 minutes ago, A Lamp said:

Still i think it's better restarting, this DLC add alot of stuff.

Most notably the loot refresh (which is free) and i think alot of people are curious to see this change.

Don't get me wrong, I will dive headlong into the new content, and may never look back on my older save, but if HL does reverse their decision, I still want the option available to use my older save in the new content.

I don't know, just feels like I'd be burning a bridge.

Edited by hozz1235

Well i personally would save the diary of my currrent run and once HL releases the DLC, that i will buy instantly, start a new run. Doesn't matter if saves are compatible or not.

I have to admit, starting a new run is just pure fun. Barely any gear on you, struggling as hell to survive, till you (hopefully) arrive to the long-quite boring-term.

8 minutes ago, A Lamp said:

I have to admit, starting a new run is just pure fun. Barely any gear on you, struggling as hell to survive, till you (hopefully) arrive to the long-quite boring-term.

That does have some allure, but also thinking about re-exploring ALL previous areas again (I have already done this countless times).  I'd still like the option.  

Edited by hozz1235

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 10:49 AM, hozz1235 said:

That does have some allure, but also thinking about re-exploring ALL previous areas again (I have already done this countless times).  I'd still like the option.  

There's nothing that says you have to re-explore the previous areas even if you start a new file.  I enjoy doing one-zone runs that last about 50 days or so... having to make do with just the resources that can be found in one zone of the map.  With the proposed scrapping of the old loot tables, hopefully the resources in each zone will be less predictable... making such a run even more challenging and fun.

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2022 at 4:29 PM, hozz1235 said:

Don't get me wrong, I will dive headlong into the new content, and may never look back on my older save, but if HL does reverse their decision, I still want the option available to use my older save in the new content.

I don't know, just feels like I'd be burning a bridge.

It isn't a decision that can be reversed. This would require not updating the content of the game.

You can still play the old saves on Steam though, but not in the updated game.

I would assume that someone will work out a conversion program to revise the old save system to the new save system.  It may well be clunky, have issues with the outcome, and not be really reliable but this might be one time when converting my four Pilgrim games to the new format would be worth the risk.  I would have nothing to lose as I would still keep backup copies for Time capsule play if the conversion does not work at least for a while. 

I expect to start a new game in TftFT so maybe it won't hurt so much to lose the older ones. 

For myself, I really just want to get the old save games to the End of the Current Game (Perseverance Mills region) though, I know, I know, that's what I say NOW but if it can be done I am willing to try a conversion.  

I do expect that the chances of a reversion of save game format from TftFT update back to the older format to be non-existent.  That would be like going through the Legacy Save Game Massacre, losing all legacy save games, then having Hinterland say "oops, we're going back to the old format".  

We'll see.  

I agree with the above - at some point, someone will come up with a way to at least carry over your gear & maybe certain aspects of your progress from an old save. Probably won't be perfect, but may well be enough for most folk. I mean, at the very least I could see your character stats + whatever you have on you could be transplanted over. Some modder will at least figure that much out.

On 11/12/2022 at 6:59 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

There's nothing that says you have to re-explore the previous areas even if you start a new file.  I enjoy doing one-zone runs that last about 50 days or so... having to make do with just the resources that can be found in one zone of the map.  With the proposed scrapping of the old loot tables, hopefully the resources in each zone will be less predictable... making such a run even more challenging and fun.

Well, I don't have to do anything.  The completionist in me will drive me to do it though.

22 hours ago, ben676 said:

It isn't a decision that can be reversed. This would require not updating the content of the game.

You can still play the old saves on Steam though, but not in the updated game.

How do you know this?  Have some inside scoop on HL we don't know about? ;)