Good bye to our survivors

acada

What is your way to say good bye to your survivor? Do you intent to set them for life and leave them be? Or will you let them to fade into the long dark? Or do you plan to build them time capsule and visit them now and then?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What is your way to say good bye to your survivor? Do you intent to set them for life and leave them be? Or will you let them to fade into the long dark? Or do you plan to build them time capsule and visit them now and then?

• I will set them for life and leave them.
    • Life has its end. My survivor will fade into the long dark.
    • Time capsule is my solution for my character. We will continue the journey.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/2022 at 10:59 PM

I have two ways..one is just deleting the save and the other is killing her off, usually by throwing her off the highest cliff.

This time I might either go out fighting a moose or see if I can get dysentry to kill her...its the only two ways I haven't killed her yet.

• Upvote 1

Traditionally, when my files haven't met a natural demise in game and I'm getting an itch to start a new run, I either just delete the file save or if I'm in the mood to make an event of it... I take supplies to light up the summit  in style and then jump off the back of the plane after firing a flare into the night sky.  If I time things right, my last file in the old system will have gotten this special treatment.

• Upvote 1

I'm from an IT/DBA background where we don't delete anything.  With practically unlimited storage these days, why do it??  Just archive/shelf it...never know when you may want to go back and play that old character.  If you delete it, you remove that possibility.

On 10/31/2022 at 12:13 PM, javijungle said:

After getting the Faithful Cartographer achievement, my Astrid only has Blackrock left with the polaroid, then I will take her back to Milton where she began her journey to rest eternally 🌌

In the end I didn't get to explore all the black rock, playing carelessly I killed Astrid overweight in my run through the gas tunnel of the mine, poor thing. 😔 RIP

• Upvote 1

I normally don't like "sleep/pass time/sleep/pass time" endgame scenarios but in this case that's exactly what I'm doing. I went around to all of my other bases and hauled a lot of the rare gear, along with a lot of scrap cloth and metal, back to Paradise Meadows which is my "permanent" home (even though I'm hardly ever there). Right now I'm holed up in Pleasant Valley with a barebones gear setup, doing nothing but fishing, gathering sticks, and filling jerry cans. Once the last jerry can is filled I can make one last trip to Paradise Meadows and put the game down until the update.  The night prior to the update I'll probably log back in, light a nice roaring fire in both stoves, then cook up one last meal and exit the game.

It might seem sentimental, but just killing your character or aborting entirely seems cheap to me. After all this character and I have been through, I'm gonna send him off right or die trying! Or I guess he'd be the one that dies trying. 

(Wasn't there a movie recently where if you die in a video game, you die in real life? Or did I dream that? hm...)

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I normally don't like "sleep/pass time/sleep/pass time" endgame scenarios but in this case that's exactly what I'm doing. I went around to all of my other bases and hauled a lot of the rare gear, along with a lot of scrap cloth and metal, back to Paradise Meadows which is my "permanent" home (even though I'm hardly ever there). Right now I'm holed up in Pleasant Valley with a barebones gear setup, doing nothing but fishing, gathering sticks, and filling jerry cans. Once the last jerry can is filled I can make one last trip to Paradise Meadows and put the game down until the update.  The night prior to the update I'll probably log back in, light a nice roaring fire in both stoves, then cook up one last meal and exit the game.

It might seem sentimental, but just killing your character or aborting entirely seems cheap to me. After all this character and I have been through, I'm gonna send him off right or die trying! Or I guess he'd be the one that dies trying. 

(Wasn't there a movie recently where if you die in a video game, you die in real life? Or did I dream that? hm...)

On 11/10/2022 at 12:32 PM, hozz1235 said:

I'm from an IT/DBA background where we don't delete anything.  With practically unlimited storage these days, why do it??  Just archive/shelf it...never know when you may want to go back and play that old character.  If you delete it, you remove that possibility.

I respect where you're both coming from, but I'm coming from the position of never having had a PC or gaming console with reams of storage space... or living in a house with lots of storage room either.  As a result, I'm pretty minimalist in what I keep.  Game saves are something I have no problem discarding in order to look forward to starting new challenges fresh.

• Upvote 1

Consoles can't use time capsule anyway so there seems little point keeping a save.  Especially if it's a short one.  I can understand the sentimentality @ajb1978 given the hours you've put it.    I was gutted I lost my long run to a bug.

I watched that film a few weeks ago and I can't remember for the life of me what it's called.🙂

16 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I normally don't like "sleep/pass time/sleep/pass time" endgame scenarios but in this case that's exactly what I'm doing.

Hmm hibernating? I dont like it either. But It could give me 500 days badge. I am occasional player, so my longest run is about 400 days.

Well I was planning to wait until the last minute, then sit by the fire in just my underwear (a lady must retain her modesty!) and fade into The Long Dark.

Unfortunately.... I, umm, got stuck on a wire during an aurora. 

Wasn't how I was planning to go out!

Haven't been able to bring myself to play properly since, I was gutted at the way it ended. Might as well wait for when I can properly start again 🤷‍♀️

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

But, what if some time down the road, HL does allow Time Capsule on consoles?  Wouldn't you like to have some of those older saves?

My only  long save vanished with a bug and since then all my runs have been short..   (max. 250 days).  If the fail to save bug ever gets sorted and time capsule is allowed then yes of course but as it is now...no point sadly.

15 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

But, what if some time down the road, HL does allow Time Capsule on consoles?  Wouldn't you like to have some of those older saves?

I'm not on console but I have been pondering your question Hozz.

I've always deleted runs I felt were finished, for whatever reason. If I didn't throw myself off the Trestle first. I tend to have a happy delete finger with everything, I like having a clean "inbox" so to speak. Not always a good thing, sometimes you delete something you wish you hadn't.

However I don't like going back. I may *look* back, and in terms of TLD this means my memory of certain runs. But physically going back? Not for me. Once something is done, finished for whatever reason then our paths will not cross again.

In TLD, there's always another run to start, another way forward through the trees. 

Besides, I'm like @UpUpAway95 - I just don't have the hard drive space to keep everything. Its a good PC still, but never did have quite enough storage. 

So answering your question - no, personally I'm not concerned about having access to old saves. It's why even though I do have access to the Time Capsule I do not use it, anything I do in this iteration of TLD will stay there.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

I can certainly respect other's viewpoints and decisions.  I also enjoy being able to openly share our thoughts on this forum.

To respond to the issue of hard-drive space - the save files are incredibly small compared to the game files, so unless you are playing on a Commodore64, you shouldn't have to worry about TLD save files using up your HDD space. ;)

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I can certainly respect other's viewpoints and decisions.  I also enjoy being able to openly share our thoughts on this forum.

To respond to the issue of hard-drive space - the save files are incredibly small compared to the game files, so unless you are playing on a Commodore64, you shouldn't have to worry about TLD save files using up your HDD space. ;)

Well this is my new fact for the day, thank you Hozz. It's a good bit of info to have, maybe I'll even keep two saves now 😁

But seriously, I appreciate you correcting me here. It won't change the way I approach things, I will always delete and rarely have more than one run on the go. However this might help someone else who *wants* to keep more saves but like me mistakenly thought they took up a lot of space.

As with many things, I do like how the game is set up to allow people to manage their runs according to personal preference. After all there is no right or wrong here.

It is incredibly sad that current save files won't be compatible with the new game, and more sad that console players are going to be unable to even use Time Capsule. I'm just hoping that console players especially find enough in the new game to soften the blow.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Socks said:

I'm just hoping that console players especially find enough in the new game to soften the blow.

I would be interested in just how much usage the Time Capsule gets.  @Admin, are those stats available somewhere?  Personally, I've spent a couple hours total in there.