Firewood bug

Pisces0314

6 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

I've honestly never seen it, not even a hint of it. I know I'm not the most observant but I'm sure I'd notice entire limbs vanishing in front of me. Looks like I've just been very lucky thank goodness!

Indeed you have.... It usually turns up just as the blizzards kick in and you need wood desperately... 

Or perhaps that trolleys so full you can't see over the top?😁

• Upvote 1

Probably a legacy of the earlier days when RAM (address space) was much more limited (than RAM itself) and had to be managed more strictly.  If a scene was not needed because it was "out of sight" then it gets unloaded from RAM because there were other uses for that RAM.  Head back to the spot and the game recreates the scene with required landscape features and then added optional items like branches and sticks.  

I have encountered similar things and this would be my explanation/rationalization.  Not a bug, but likely a legacy artifact and the game is WAI.  

Guest jeffpeng

I don't think it's an efficiency / RAM thing. I cannot fathom how that would actually work since the game has to track all possible objects of a scene whether they are visible or not (this works differently than user placed items). They are clearly there, because if you walk away and return they pop back up, but once you pick them up or harvest the branches they do not return for quite some time. although: be careful about discarding something as "legacy". TLD has to run on the "legacy" Jaguar consoles (PS4 / Xbox One) and also on such impressive hardware as the Switch. A modern midrange smartphone could run TLD ezpz. (Speaking of, dear people at Hinterland: you wanna make a buck.... port TLD to iPadOS)

The one reason I could think of this being intentional is to prevent players from hunkering down at any given location too much. So once they actually enter a cave / an "outdoor" indoor zone such as the TWM Hut firewood in the immediate vicinity is hidden, hence they actually have to go out there and find some firewood. But in all likelihood this really is a bug. The entire firewood spawning mechanic is weird as freeze. Pick up one stick, another "spawns" right next to it.

Edited by jeffpeng

I like to look at this as a natural phenomenon.  In @jeffpeng's example, what would stop a stick from falling from an overhead tree and "spawning"?  Same could be said for larger branches, although the game does not have the (current) capability to actually show the animation of a branch/stick breaking off from a tree and falling to the ground.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

As an experiment, in Blackrock, I went around and "touched" several branches and a stick near a ravaged deer carcass then went on my way.  Every time I passed by the spot, which is 50 feet from the road, and checked I see that those branches and that stick remain in their spots (as best as I can tell). 

By "touched" I could have harvested each branch but didn't and could have taken the stick but didn't.  

I suspect that by "touching" the item, be it branch or stick, that gets it marked as an item the character actually has taken possession of it, even if left in place, and now needs to be tracked as opposed to it being a random spawn that can appear or disappear depending on how the game does its thing. 

Certain items like stones and cedar/fir limbs and crates seem to be stable in the landscape and don't just randomly appear or disappear, but I could be wrong.  

• Upvote 1