Anyone else "cramming" in their old soon-to-be-deprecated saves?

I'm quite close to 500 days in Interloper, but hadn't played in a while as I find it gets to be a dull grind once you've got everything down pat. But now I'm rushing through to complete this last achievement before the new content drops. Because once it does I can't see myself ever going back, or ever bothering going beyond 150 or so days.

Anyone else?

Not me. 

My long-term goal had been that each of my [Pilgrim] games would make it to Perseverance Mills which I expected to be the end of the line (at the time) for the game.  I figured on exploring Mountain Town (Milton) and Hushed River Valley, which I have not entered at all, once that was accomplished assuming I was still motivated to play the game. 

It is possible that the expansion and the resulting new game, which I would expect to start, will pull me away from my previous goal because of the probable changes in game mechanics, etc., but I will keep the old ones with the intention of playing in Time Capsule.  Maybe, because of the nature of the Time Capsule, I won't be able to get to Perseverance Mills as in the survival game world won't expanded to include it, in which case, I would be forced to give them up because the intended goal would become futile.  

• Upvote 1

I am rushing to finish outdoors out doors only challenge. I’ve been holding out on doing episode four since I have no interest in replaying it. I think is the worst episode by a long ways, but if I want to be able to say that I did the challenge I ought to get through it soon. Or I might not finish the challenge since  replaying episode four like this does not sound fun.

• Upvote 1

I'm just 5 days short of 500 now in Interloper, should finish that tonight.

I might do one more "challenge" before I'm done, I think I'll go around and max out the cairns I can build in each region, just for kicks & giggles. Leave a goodie in each, then leave that save for some distant future generation. lol

• Upvote 1

I don't have any old saves fortunately, mainly because once I really fall out of love with a particular run I delete it. I am well known for having a trigger happy delete finger, not always a good thing! 😳

I really do feel for people who have very longstanding saves, or who are part way through a major challenge and simply won't make it because of the timing. Even though I understand the reasons why, it does suck.

I was intending my current run to aim for a personal record, but now I'm just going hell for leather and doing things I wouldn't normally give the time of day.

On the plus side it is showing me things I didn't think I was capable of. On the negative I am often finding myself in reckless, unwise situations!

What does it matter though when regardless of my action the run will be over in December? It is rather liberating to embrace YOLO-ing for a change instead of careful caution.

I am sad that I'll lose a run I have become emotionally attached to, but am looking forward to *truly* starting again. I'm hoping the changes to the game will finally enable me to find a run with the right balance of challenge, suited to me. I still haven't quite managed to do so with the game as it is.

So fingers crossed! I'm ready to hold my nose and jump right into the deep water, then worry if I can swim!

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Just the opposite here.  I have literally done everything there is to do. 

But does there ever stop being something to do in TLD? Each new run brings something different, and as corny as it sounds, the journey itself is the purpose?

Of course it depends very much on your style of play. If you need specific achievements to go after then yes I can see why you would feel you've done everything.

I hope the new game helps you regain that desire to go on run after run just for the pleasure in doing so.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

But does there ever stop being something to do in TLD? Each new run brings something different, and as corny as it sounds, the journey itself is the purpose?

When doing 1 long run, I've found it gets quite dull after a certain point. Once I've got everything mapped out, bases & resupply posts everywhere, and I've keyed into patterns to enable easy survival... it turns into a repetitive & simple time grind.

Starting new runs and/or taking more risks is a different story, and I agree with you from that point. That's why I'd keep playing this game regardless of the new updates. :·]

• Upvote 1

Not gonna cram but will try to tie up a few loose ends. I would have liked to unlock all the achievements but I still don't have that rabbit kill one and have come to terms with the fact that it's never gonna happen. I just cannot kill the little beggars - the skill eludes me for some reason. I don't die much any more (I am usually on voyager or stalker) but Interloper has taught me the art of letting go - so I'm not worries about losing saves. In fact, its kind of like starting over with a clean slate.

• Upvote 2

On 10/25/2022 at 4:29 PM, Kranium said:

yesssssssssss finally

TLD ach.jpg

Nicely Done!!

-----------------------------------

Like Sgt Socks  -- I tend to delete games as I finish whatever it was I had intended to do on that run (survive X-number of days, explore a new region, complete a Challenge, get Cartographer, all skills to 5, etc.). I do have my longest/most successful run saved, and I recently went back & took that Astrid to my favorite house (in Coastal Highway) and tucked her into the bedroom, in cozy "jammies" and with plenty of food, water and essentials to last for her retirement.

My current run is mainly being used to work on my bow skills (no rifles or revolvers allowed) and to get a little more comfortable with wandering off into less well-known parts of Great Bear.  Although, even on Pilgrim, I have already had the distinct "pleasure" of a bear mauling (thought I was safe up on a rock, but he got me!) and almost fell through the ice when I was experimenting with beach-combing.

There are some challenges I most likely will never try for (too creepy, stressful for me) but I don't think I will have any trouble closing out & transitioning to a new game, when the time comes.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Im working on getting Faithful Cartographer, just have PV and AC left to map.

Ive been getting really reckless since news that saves will be wiped, put on the ballistic vest and tried seeing if noisemakers could scare off charging bears. It can! Then I tried a second time but the bear didnt rear up first, just charged and I didnt throw it in time and it blew up in my hand while I was getting mauled.. very glad I had the vest!

Also really want to get the Blizzard Walker feat before my next run, which Im about halfway to. And im pretty close to the 500 days too.

Edited by Arbor
  • Upvote 1