Announcing TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY

Admin

9 hours ago, Erroneus said:

Those numbers are insane, congrats! Looking forward to playing the expansion, but sorry to keep beating the same old drum, but what about upgrades for next-gen consoles, it was mentioned in an earlier update that info would land "soon"? It's really holding me and others back from playing EP4 and not going to play the expansion, before we get 60fps support on PS5, sorry but the 30FPS boat has sailed for lots of us.

We are still working toward this, and will share more information as soon as it is available. Thank you for reaching out! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

It's going to take a while to absorb all this. It certainly looks like it will be worth the wait. I for one don't mind losing old saves when a whole new world awaits.

The amount of hours I play and what this game means to someone with an extremely isolated life, well, even the full annual price is worth every single penny.

However I do agree with @jeffpeng and his usual fair and perceptive comments regarding Wintermute. Even though I never personally got past episode one, just not my bag, the criticisms are well justified.

None of this can take away from the intense excitement though.

This from @Nervous Pete echoes much of what excites me about the new game and why.

"Safehouse customisation. This is the big thing for me. The Long Dark has been a welcome haven for my mental health ... To have a place that I could call my own, tidy slowly decorate in a spartan fashion... I'm not talking No Man Sky levels of customisation, just the stuff you do slowly claiming as a home what was originally an emergency retreat"

As someone who has PTSD and severe chronic nerve pain, plus an injury to my left arm that now prevents me playing most games of interest, TLD plays a huge part in keeping me alive. To those who raise your eyebrows at such a bold assertion, it is entirely accurate. I've lost the vast majority of who I was and what I could do; the TLD world helps soften the blow of all the empty hours and real life loneliness.

As much as I appreciate the mods and modders, I never wanted to use them. However the glaring gaps in the offerings for space customisation (and other areas like cooking and crafting) are hopefully going to be addressed by the new game. If this means I can go unmodded then I'll be delighted.

(I hope the modders aren't offended by this; I know the amount of work you have put in and greatly appreciate it. I've just never liked modding my games if I can help it)

Thank you Hinterland for what is pretty much my most beloved game of the 35 years I've been gaming.

Thank you very much for the kind words. We appreciate your feedback, and we're very glad to hear The Long Dark is a comfort to you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'm so hyped for this expansion pass 🥰 This game deserves all my money 😘

I just hope that simple changes can be made like being able to turn your head completely while being in the car or changing seats without having to leave the car. It's all part of the animations, I think 😅

I got this game when it was still in beta and the change since then has been amazing 👍

Keep it up guys, you've got one of the best games I've played in my entire life 😘😘😘

There is no other game I've played as much as this, not even close. The atmosphere, the mood, the graphics and music all contribute to me always returning to Great Bear. I don't play multiplayer games, I have a touch of social anxiety and they stress me out, but it's almost like TLD was made for me. And zombies are boring. 😉

The announced additions sound great (the new music too, I'm sure) and there seem to be hints of things I'd love to see in this game at some point or a future one.

Some sort of mental health system where keeping busy helps (maybe just tied in to Cabin Fever) as well as tidying up, having varied meals and keeping a journal. Someone mentioned talking to another survivor on the radio, Firewatch style - that would be really nice.

The game doesn't need a typical base building/Tower defence system, that wouldn't make much sense,  but what about Homesteading? Customisable homes are definitely in that direction, depending how it will be implemented and to what degree, but I'm sure I'll be wanting more 🙂 Players always do, right.

And I want to bake bread, please give me bags of flour, or even grains and a small mill, and ways to make a sourdough starter.

• Upvote 2

After one quick read through I am confused.  Without being able to carry forward my saves, and with so many changes it is almost a new game.  I will probably drop Wintermute and just play the Survival game.   Whereas everyone else seems ecstatically happy I feel a bit uneasy and am in no rush to have the new version.  Perhaps if I read the blurb again I will undersgtand it better and be more enthusiastic.

• Upvote 2

Thinking it over this morning I do have some doubts about a few things.. 

As an Xbox player ,how is the new save function going to work?  We already have the fail to save bug so is this a fix for the problem ? 

Plus ,as much as I like looting it feels like there's a lot of new gear being added. My concern is that with so many changes that the game is going to lose its beautiful simplicity..   ?  

Having said this though I'm still going to buy it..twice as I have Xbox and pc😊 for what you've given us over the years I'd gladly pay double.🙂

• Like 1

Well, that is all wonderful news, the new regions sound great, some new challenges is always welcome and things like Travios and Safehouse Customisation are great.

So congrats to the Hinterland team, I am very excited and will buy it the second it arrives on PS4, and have to bite my lip whislt I watch the PC guys enjoy it over Xmas!

I would say, as others have mentioned, that I am disappointed not to see a quicker resolution to Wintermute, those of us that do enjoy it have been waiting a loooooong time, but that said, I love the survival and the challenges and have never felt short changed, just slightly frustrated!

So please pass on congratulations to the team, and I wish you every success with this release.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, _Rudolf_ said:

Hello. As I said earlier, I don't speak English well. Did I understand correctly that the transponder is some kind of radio beacon. And the travios is a wagon for the transfer of goods.

Я так понял, что под "transponder" подразумевается рация, а "travois" - это что-то вроде санок, в которых можно таскать свои вещи (эта штука изображена на картинке в конце поста). Ещё в этом посте почему-то не упомянули добавление бессонницы, желудей и "электростатического тумана" (о них говорится на странице в стиме).

The way I see it, by "transponder" they mean walkie-talkie. and "travois" - is some sort of a sled, that you can carry your stuff in (this thing is shown on the picture at the end of the post). Also, for some reason, this post doesn't mention the addition of insomnia, acorns and "electrostatic fog" (they are mentioned on the steam page)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, _Rudolf_ said:

And most importantly - this atmosphere of hopelessness begins to leave. When there is a lot of equipment, there is no feeling that you are always on the verge of survival.

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

My concern is that with so many changes that the game is going to lose its beautiful simplicity..   ?  

I agree with you and @Leeanda Rudolf.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited for sure. There are definitely things here which are much needed.

However I'm concerned that adding side missions as part of the survival game will completely break the immersion. Will they be showing up on the HUD and making you remember you're playing a game instead of truly being part of the world?

And a trader and radio? The isolation of TLD is part of its beauty. I don't want to end up playing Fallout in the snow.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that Hinterland manage to integrate all these new things and make Great Bear a more wondrous world, rather than overburdening it and putting a barrier between the player and full immersion.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

What I find weird is that insomnia is listed as a part of TFTFT, like, are you immune to it, if you never bought the season pass? Is it going to be exclusively caused by some new item that TFTFT adds? And if it's the former, can you turn it off? Can I turn all of TFTFT content on and off after purchasing it?

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Ghurcb said:

Can I turn all of TFTFT content after purchasing it?

I really hope they give us a detailed custom option Ghurcb.

There is a lot here which is a massive change to the game we love and that has to be handled extremely well not to alienate people who have been playing since the beginning or for many years.

Not giving us the opportunity to fully customise our runs is a significant concern.

• Upvote 1

Can't wait to dive in... great work by all involved !!

afterthought... I really hope the loot tables are completely randomized.. it would certainly make Interloper way more interesting and not completely predictable

Edited by Cr41g
  • Upvote 1

This is the single greatest update I have ever read for a game.

New things to be excited about!

Compassion for the players of all budgets.

Insight into the decisions, reasons for the directions the game is taking, explanations behind the announcements.

Approximate timelines.

Apologies & explanations for the save incompatibility (understandable).

Teaser video & image.

Wishlistable right now.

Reasonable pricing structure.

Oooo goodness this is a perfect, exciting & caring update.

Thanks Hinterland - this is very validating to this TLD fan. 💙❄️

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

The thing I'm most excited about is the narrative objectives in the expansion. I love having goals & helping people in Wintermute!

To those who are worried that new equipment & loot tables will ruin the lonely, hopeless, barely-surviving feel of the game: has Hinterland not earned our trust by now, that they have the atmosphere & theme well in hand? I doubt they will upend the core feel of their carefully crafted masterpiece 

• Upvote 8

Thank you for the Diary!  I know many players (myself included) were checking frequently for it and it sure was a treat to sign in today to see it!

I am extremely excited about the expansions, but, like others, that is tempered somewhat by the fact that we can't continue using old saves.  I proudly have one of my original save games from the very beginning (at 2200 days now) which has lived through all the changes to the game and is dear to me.  I was really looking forward to continuing their saga into the future, but sounds like they are finally going to "fade into the Long Dark..." since all my efforts will be in the "new game".

Once again, really excited, but also somewhat sad.

• Upvote 5

Time to throw my two cents worth into this discussion:

Firstly, I am saying that yes, I will be getting the expansion pack. I won't say no to a new region, and I also am very pleased to see all these new and more complex game mechanics added. I'd like nothing more than to be able to make a pizza in the oven at the Pleasant Valley Farmstead, topped with cheese, tomatoes, and some bear meat!

I do have one gripe - Story Mode. I'd say that now, it's an amazing game (especially Episode 3!) but it took too long to finish IMO. 2017-2023 is a very long time to wait for a game that was supposed to be complete by 2020. The first version of Story Mode was also very incomplete -- the game really came into its own with the REDUX.

Splitting up the game into survival and story modes is the right thing to do, and a good way to get the price of the game down. One other thing, would it be possible to offer Story Mode as a standalone game, for players who want to experience that only?

Other than that, looking forward to seeing this release!

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Glflegolas said:

I do have one gripe - Story Mode. I'd say that now, it's an amazing game (especially Episode 3!) but it took too long to finish IMO. 2017-2023 is a very long time to wait for a game that was supposed to be complete by 2020. The first version of Story Mode was also very incomplete -- the game really came into its own with the REDUX.

It's clear to me what (probably) happened:

Hinterland's standards, ambitions and creative vision have grown so much the the original timeline and scope for Wintermute could not be kept. And they didn't want to compromise.

Along the way, the financials didn't pan out - you just can't finance both Survival Mode and Wintermute on charging as little as they did for the base game.

Therefore, they had to push out paid DLC FIRST in order to ensure financing of Wintermute completion, and finish it the way it fits their creative vision.

I think HL has struck a good balance. Purchasers of the original game (even if they don't buy the DLC) get so much more than they should have ever expected. Only downside: time!

All other options (e.g. crappy / cheap / shortened Wintermute ending) would have been worse.

So yeah, THANK YOU, Hinterland. I think you have done the right thing in the eyes of most fans. You can never make everyone happy.

-t

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

Hinterland's standards, ambitions and creative vision have grown so much the the original timeline and scope for Wintermute could not be kept. And they didn't want to compromise.

Along the way, the financials didn't pan out - you just can't finance both Survival Mode and Wintermute on charging as little as they did for the base game.

Ralph has said in the past that finances have not been a concern or hurdle.

So I'd guess more the former.

I think they made a way better game than originally planned, estimating software timelines are HARD, plus they don't do crunch & a pandemic happened - while they tried to care for staff & be mindful of everyone's mental health. Plus this is their first big game as a studio. 

The timeline for Wintermute is not a surprise or a problem IMHO. I get that people get really attached to early, speculative timelines... but this is pretty normal given how the game has really grown from original plans.

• Upvote 2

The funny thing is - literally every game I'm enjoying lately - TLD, Valheim, Raft, Core Keeper, No Man's Sky..... literally all of them have significant percents of the players who are frothing mad about timelines & delays. 😆 It's almost like players never learn.

All timelines are speculative. Software & game dev has a lot of unpredictability that you can't foresee.

The dev who does the QA signoff is sick for a week. I spent 2 days debugging an error that was a single wrong character in 1 line of code. Jane's computer hard drive failed. John's artwork didn't do well in focus groups so back to the drawing board. The music creator got Covid for two weeks. Someone lost a week of productivity to train the intern. The project manager's parent was in hospital. The engine released an update so we need 2 weeks to migrate & retest everything. On & on & on. 😭🙃

Edited by Sherri
  • Upvote 2