Hello from a "non-gamer" in sunny Southern California

suoiduts

I am not a gamer.

My friends have been trying to get me into this game or that for more years than I care to remember. They even bought me an Xbox, which sat unused (expect by them) in my living room for years. I'm not into monsters or aliens or dragons or zombies. I don't like to fight just to fight or kill just to kill. The sports I like to play, I play IRL. And in general, I just don't need a lot more stress or drama in my life. I had pretty much given up on finding a game that would appeal to me.

Then, one of them introduced me to TLD. Now they are complaining about how much time I spend playing! I guess this was the game I'd been waiting for.

So, I started off in survival mode, pilgrim level, in a random location. It dumped me off in Hushed River Valley. Yikes, what a desolate, and beautiful, place.

I came so close to dying so many times...mainly due to a lack of matches and a pair of wildly inappropriate and rapidly deteriorating dress shoes. That and going around and around in circles, I don't know how many times, while trying to figure out how to orient myself and find my way out of there.

I finally made it down to Mountain Town and Milton, where I suddenly had so many resources I didn't know what to do with them. I spent some time gathering materials and making some nice warm clothes, to make up for all those times I nearly froze to death, and then I set out exploring. I explored Mountain Town and Forlorn Muskeg and Broken Railroad. I even tried going back up to Hushed River Valley for another look, but I had some stress reactions and had to get back out of there. ;) Along the way, I did research to improve my skills, kept my clothes and tools in good condition, and practiced survival hunting.

Then today, on Day 80-something, all stocked up and prepared to explore a new location, as I was leaving the cave system going from Forlorn Muskeg to Bleak Inlet, I suddenly found myself in a random location in Bleak Inlet, back at Day 1, with some minor random gear/clothing.

Well, ain't that a kick in the handmade deerskin pants!!!

So, frustrated as heck and not prepared to start all over again immediately, I thought I'd jump into this forum and say hello, (after posting in the technical support forum, of course).

Just this morning (in-game) I was marveling at an absolutely stunning sunrise that I had never seen before. So beautiful. I'll definitely be starting again. I appreciate so much about this game. I might bump up the difficulty level just a bit, (although I'll probably always customize the animal behavior to be more realistic than aggressive), but for the most part, I just enjoy the calm, peaceful, solitary exploration and all the beautiful views.

Wishing you all well, in-game and IRL. 

P.S.  A good news update, (I updated the tech forum, but didn't want to leave this post without updating here as well):

I exited the game and reloaded, (which I had been a little afraid to do for fear of locking in my losses), and it took me back to where I had just entered the cave system. I made my way back through and this time successfully exited into Bleak Inlet with everything still intact. Whew! The journey continues!

Edited by suoiduts
Glitch update
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 2

Welcome welcome! You are now officially a gamer 😁

I can completely see how TLD will draw in someone who hasn't played. It offers something for everyone; from the Lovely Lunatic Lopers to the Peaceful Pilgrims and everyone in between. The more you play the more you will fall in love with its breathtaking beauty, it still takes my breath away after 8 years.

If the survivor monologue gets on your nerves take a look at my "For you, survivor monologue on or off?" thread. That will offer you a way to turn it down so you don't miss out on your feats (perks/badges) as you are just starting out.

Have fun! And if you need help just ask. We'll do our best 😊

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...