Lost in White Hell

APixelatedLemon

Day 14 - Afternoon - Mystery Lake - Alan's Hunting Spot

I continued along another path that led to the east. That led back to the river, and another small herd of deer. They scattered as soon as they saw me, I wasn’t interested in hunting them this time, but I should keep this spot in mind for when I am. I kept following the river, until a bridge past over it. I went up a hill to take a look at the bridge, and I arrived back at the railway line. 

I looked to my right, where the railway led away from the muskeg. I always hesitated to follow them the opposite way, because that just led further into the island, the opposite of what I want. But I might have to take a look at where they go now. I need to find climbing gear, bear spray possibly, and most importantly, information. If I can find someone that knows the island better, or even a map, I could find maybe a way out, and get back home, back to Eliza.  

I looked back at Mystery Lake Park, the place I felt safest on this island. Then I looked forward, and ventured into the complete unknown.  

screen_af28488e-a3d5-4474-9954-aeb02bd28d6d_hi.thumb.png.d51b1b9396cbbab08da4040001d1d695.png

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Day 18 - Early Night - The Ravine - Cave

Well, here I am, inside a cave for the night. I haven't written anything for a few days now. I’ve just been too tired from traveling, and I’m half considering heading back to Mystery Lake Park at this point. I’m still following that railway track; it has to lead somewhere. Question is, how long will it take me to get wherever that is? I’m down to my last bit a food, a tin of sardines, and there doesn’t seem to be a restaurant nearby... I might need to hunt another deer. I don’t like the idea of hauling all that venison for however long with me, and the thought of wasting the hide and guts also bothers me. But unless I find something to loot, my only other choice will be starving... 

I’ve also been cleaning my firearms with the cleaning kit. The revolver was already pretty much spotless, but the rifle defiantly needed a good bath... Not surprising, considering where I found it. I also decide to wrap some cloth around it to help with my grip. Also, it makes the rifle a little more ‘like mine’, personalize it a bit more. Maybe I should give it a name as well. Maybe... “Hilda”, yeah, I kind of like that name. Elegant, rolls off the tongue, memorable... 

Okay, I’m going to stop with that topic, I think the loneliness is starting to get to me. Writing certainly does help, I shouldn’t have taken a break from it. I know this sounds silly, but it feels like the closest thing to talking to you again Eliza. You were the only that told me to write about my “vacation”.  Well, I can hardly keep my eyes open any longer. So, I'm going to finish boiling this snow, and call it a day. 

screen_724d0656-8c79-44a8-aa0b-132e592e0ae3_hi.thumb.png.4b2a229bd3623edb5ae2c9522d43db45.png

Edited by APixelatedLemon
  • Like 3

Day 19 - Morning - Costal Highway - Train Unloading

I ate sardines for breakfast this morning. Yes, it was about as pleasant as it sounds. But after that horrible experience, I continued my journey following the train tracks, but eventually the pathway was blocked. The tracks went through a tunnel that was filled with large boulders. I either had to turn around and head back to Mystery Lake, or find another way forward. I chose the latter option, since there’s no way I could make it back with no food on me. 

So, I went down a pathway to the right of the tunnel, it led downwards, towards the ocean. As I made it to the bottom, I spotted a paved road. Seeing it filled me with hope, I had a new path to follow. Plus it was a lot easier to walk on than snow. I looked along the coastline, and I saw what looked to be some sort of small town in the distance. That's where I headed, along the road, and towards the town.

screen_916e874a-04e8-4bca-a75e-98c2ebe90248_hi.thumb.png.fb23fe345d59dc18cc3b8d883a7a0fe4.png

• Upvote 2

Day 19 - Morning - Coastal Highway - Log Sort

While I was walking along the road, I kept looking out towards the ocean. I saw two islands in the distance, both of which had houses on them. The frozen over water had a bunch of small fishing huts, they looked identical to the ones back at Mystery Lake. Aside from that, I kept passing by some buildings here and there, all of which were completely destroyed. Hard to say what they used to be, or why they were in ruins. My best guess was they were temporary cabins for fishermen, similar to the cabin I rented back at Mystery Lake.  

When I made it close to the town, I surveyed the place from a small distance away. Half the houses in this small town were destroyed as well. The rest looked abandoned, no smoke coming from any of the chimneys, no footprints anywhere, it was a ghost town. The most noteworthy building here was what seemed like some sort of gas station in the center of town. I approached, and could read the sign on the roof. The place was called “Quincy’s Quonset”, another dead neon sign with the word “gas” stood in front of the building. I went up to the front door and let myself inside. 

screen_b26297d2-e221-4ff0-a4a8-7ddb9ca7cc8d_hi.thumb.png.67fdafbe72bb38fc65afa5182ef77cf2.png

• Upvote 2

Day 19 - Late Morning - Coastal Highway - Quonset Garage

The first room I entered was a storefront, shelves once filled with food and other general goods, now nearly empty. There are a couple of cans still here however, but that’s all that remains. I’m guessing once people decided to leave, they took everything they could and bugged out. I don’t blame them, half the houses here are in complete ruin, there’s no power, and the wildlife is completely feral. I was hoping there would be at least someone still here, but that clearly isn’t the case. 

A doorway next to the register led to the garage. A large, empty room, with not much I can make use of. There was a workbench, and a hacksaw. Maybe I can do something with those, but I need to think about it for a bit. Behind the garage, was another room, that was some sort of living space for whoever worked here I assume. Talk about sleeping at your desk. I’m going to search the rest of the town, see what I can take, and pool it all in here. 

screen_ff784078-f949-4227-8c05-30e6d2914456_hi.thumb.png.455bfc9521c8986932b3190b1969394a.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1