Lost in White Hell

APixelatedLemon

Day 7 - Morning - Mystery Lake - Cabin Office

I read some of that field harvesting guidebook last night, key word being “some” however. It’s a rather lengthy read, so I couldn’t finish all of it before I needed to call it a night and get some sleep. For now, I just read the chapters that went over harvesting deer, that should be enough for the time being since that will be my primary target for today. I’ll read the rest when I get the chance, or when I get some downtime. For now, it’s to put my new knowledge to use.

I went outside and looked at my map. I was trying to remember some areas where I saw some deer from that tower a few days ago. There’s wasn’t any guarantee that they would still be hanging around in those areas anymore, especially since I did fire my rifle at that wolf a while back which likely sent most of them running. But I didn’t have much to go off, so I just had to check where I last seen them. I remembered a clearing close to where I was. It was across the railway line from the cabin. So, I went there, rifle in hand.

As I got closer, I began to crouch in anticipation of seeing at least one deer. Instead, I found three, all docile and grazing away at the snow, and the grass below. I was unseen, and downwind from them, this was the perfect chance to get a shot in. I took aim at the closest one, lined the sights to the deer’s neck, and squeezed the trigger. I had my eyes closed for a few seconds, with my ears ringing from the gunshot. As I opened them, I saw the deer now lying dead, and the other two running off in the distance. I walked up to the deer, gently rubbing its neck where my bullet landed, and thanking it for it’s sacrifice. Now it’s time to harvest it.

screen_f0ddf36c-7fa3-420b-bc2b-77d4ff4ab55b_hi.thumb.png.afd30c144d0d4f5a97d399ebdf75539e.png

• Upvote 4

Day 7 - Late Afternoon - Mystery Lake - Cabin Office

I dragged the deer back to the cabin by the antlers. It was easier to harvest it near my “base”. I started by… Actually, I won’t go into graphic detail about it. I don’t think anyone would want to read about that. Rest assured that I will not let it go to waste. The hide needs to be cured, so I cleaned it with some boiled water, and it’s now sitting on the floor. It will take a few days until it’s useable. I think I can make some nice boots with it; we’ll see, I might need more. I also harvested its guts. That guidebook says they can be used for multiple things, not sure what just yet. I need to read more of the book to find out.

As for the meat, I’m cooking some of it by a fire right now. I managed to get enough to last about a week. Wish I could have gotten more, but I need to practice my butchery skill more. I already ate some cooked venison, it tastes... Odd. Not bad, just very different from meat you would get in a supermarket or something. Best way I can describe it is it tastes wild. Not the “cool” kind of wild, I mean it taste like it’s from the wild... Which I guess it is. It sure as heck beats starving by a few miles at least. I will sit here and cook the rest of it while I finish the rest of that book. Wish there was a bigger stove in here. The one back at the lodge could cook three times as much meat as this crummy thing.

As for tomorrow, I’m going to do some exploring around this region. See if I can find any passageways leading out of here. Or hopefully I find some points of interest. I’ll start by the other lake at the other side of the region.

screen_979cef7a-5a7e-4c3c-90f8-73a8fb498710_hi.thumb.png.f9e648f22f4f63903fff2a58cff8f36b.png

• Upvote 4

Day 7 - Before Midnight - Mystery Lake - Cabin Office

Just woke up in the middle of the night. Lights flickering, green glow from the window. I already knew the aurora was busy outside. I got up and came downstairs to get some water since I was thirsty. As I got to the first floor, I noticed a laptop flickering. I got the idea to try and use it to get in contact with someone about my situation. Access on the laptop was limited however; the thing was barely functional. I was only able to view some text document. Here’s what it had to say:

“Bear activity around the Mystery Lake Region is pronounced, although human interaction by all accounts is very rare. This is to be expected this time of year, and based on the available data we can make the following conclusions”

It seems like there’s supposed to be more to it, but I can see it right now. I’m not going to stress about getting to see the rest too badly, I need to get some sleep after all. Bear activity in the area sounds bad though. I should remain more vigilant, lest I want to end up in a bear’s stomach.

screen_33bff9dc-31e3-4ca7-9e96-bf2102a151ed_hi.thumb.png.8c25fd11f3f900040664d2a7053fc03f.png

Edited by APixelatedLemon
  • Upvote 5
  • Like 2

Day 8 - Morning - Mystery Lake -Deadfall Area

As soon as I had my peach and venison breakfast I went out and headed directly to the smaller lake that was on my map. I didn’t know why I had chosen that spot specifically to go and start searching. It just stuck out to me as a nice spot I guess. On my way there I passed by some cut down trees, and a destroyed cabin of some kind. The fallen trees looked intentionally cut down, and no logs were present on the ground, just the stumps. My guess was lumberjacks took them down for building material or something. Maybe they stayed at the now destroyed cabin, but that was likely a long time ago. There was nothing was inside the cabin, unsurprisingly.

I kept to my pace and came across some rabbits. I considered shooting them, but that would be a huge waste of ammo, even if I did manage to hit them. Maybe I could make a slingshot or something to hit them some day, they would make for a tasty snack every now and then. I would need a strong branch in the right shape, and something for the sling however, like an elastic band. Rocks are practically unlimited, so ammo wouldn’t be much of a concern. When I was done viewing the appetizers I continued to the lake, remaining on the alert of any bears or wolves potentially lurking in the area.

When I arrived at the lake, the first thing I notice was a wooden hunter’s blind. I approached and went inside the blind. There was a bow leaning against the wall. It wasn’t a professionally made bow, it was hand made, looked to be in rather shoddy condition. I was surprised that it was still intact at all after laying here, exposed to the elements. I didn’t take it with me due to how badly maintained it looked, and there weren’t any arrows. I did however jot down the design of it. Maybe one day I could make my own. No clue how I would get the parts for one just yet, but it would be a nice alternative to the rifle if I could teach myself to use it properly. 

screen_59f08af9-5dd5-452f-a8a7-f6f1099307e6_hi.thumb.png.ddc629155ed41e254e868453d6f2f689.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Day 8 - Late Morning - Mystery Lake - Unnamed Pond

There was nothing else at the pond. I started to wonder how useful the hunter blind actually is. Maybe in warmer seasons when the pond is not frozen over animals would come here to drink from the pond and set themselves up for some nice shots. But I don’t think I would have huge success just staying here waiting for deer right now. Besides, I’m out here to explore and look for some sort of escape, not hunt more animals. I had plenty of food back at the office. I looked at my map for my next spot to look. I decided to search to the west of my location at the pond, then work my way down and back to the railroad.

I started to make my way there, but as I walked something caught my eye. There was a sapling sticking out of the ground, just barely catching my attention from the right side of my vision. I walked up to it for a better look, it looked like a birch sapling. It seemed to be strong, strong enough to make something out of it. I took out my hatchet and chopped away at the base of the sapling. When it broke off I looked it over in my hands, I got the idea that maybe I could make arrows out of these. I would still need something for an arrowhead, and perhaps feathers to guide the arrow during flight, but this would make a nice shaft. I cut off twigs at the sides so it would fit nicely into my pack for the time being.

I then continued my way west…

screen_5dbd6582-aa13-4ccb-9f92-c44de513139b_hi.thumb.png.87d195343357a34da43fdcf0a2811953.png

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Day 8 - Late Morning - Mystery Lake - Trappers Homestead

As I continued walking, the snow started to fall harder. Another blizzard was on its way, so I picked up the pace in the hopes I would find shelter before it hits full force. I climbed a hill, and when I got to the top, a modest homestead came into view. I looked at my map, the place wasn’t marked where it should have been. Strange, maybe the place was built sometime after the map was first drawn? Although that doesn’t explain why it hasn’t been drawn or marked sometime after, like how the bunker was marked with an orange square. I made my way down the hill and approached the homestead. I knocked on the door to make sure nobody was currently staying here. No answer, so I went inside. I know that’s the opposite thing you’re suppose to do when you don’t get an answer, but I need shelter.

The place was rather cluttered, there was hardly any room to walk. It made me feel claustrophobic, a feeling I’ve rarely had in the past. I looked around for anything useful. First thing that caught my eye was a revolver sitting on a table. I picked it up and opened the cylinder, no ammo, not even any empty casings. I stuffed it into my pack for now, it might make a nice defensive weapon against a charging wolf later, if only I could get my hands on some ammo. I already knew of a couple of places where I left some ammo behind. I will check them out when I get the chance.

This place also has a workbench, and a nice leather working tool kit I could use. I actually took leather working as a hobby a few years ago, so I can make my own cosplay. Yeah, I know that sounds a bit dorky, and well it is, but I’m glad that skill will likely come in handy out here. All I need is the right materials, and some time. Seems like I’ll have to wait here until that blizzard is over, I don’t want a repeat of what happened last blizzard at that garage. I’m going to draw some designs for stuff I can make later on in the meantime.

screen_97c08f53-efe9-4284-bcd8-a3a87955b2c1_hi.thumb.png.12f4ef2e5ee9f3bbf05801449fc2dfdf.png

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Day 8 - Early Night - Mystery Lake - Trappers Homestead

The blizzard is still raging on outside, which means I have to spend a night here. I really hope nobody is staying inside this house anymore, but I sort of have my doubts with how much stuff is still here. I found a handmade snare for rabbits, maybe I could take it and place it near that deadfall area I past by earlier today. There’s also this safe, 3 tumbler I think. I can’t crack it, I don’t know a darn thing about safe cracking. I think Eliza might be able to, if she was here, she was always the roguish type in the past... Sadly this isn’t a video game either where the safe combination is just conveniently nearby on a piece of paper out in the open. So I just have to ignore it, and hope that it’s just some very personal belongings inside that’s not worth taking. Aside from that there is a bunch of canned food, and other necessities.

Anyways, for the past few hours I’ve been drawing a few designs for some things I can make with the leather working kit here, and that deer hide that is curing back at the office, once it’s ready of course. Firstly a new sling for my rifle. While I am proud of my sewing work with my current one, it won’t last much longer. A nice leather one would last much longer, and look much better. Second is a holster for that revolver I found in here. It would make it easier it carry, and also allow me to draw it quicker, which could save my life in the right circumstance. I’m going to take that leather working kit with me, back to the office when I decide to return.

But for now I’m going to get some sleep now. Found this herbal tea in here that I want to try out actually. Suppose to help you sleep, we’ll see about that.

screen_a7633ee2-941e-400a-83e7-b042e50b7f00_hi.thumb.png.d1417554e88dd47ce3c367de26570544.png

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Day ??? - Night - Region ??? - Location ???

I wake up in an unfamiliar place. All the stuff I had on me is gone, other than my clothing. I’m so cold... I’m nearby a burnt-out campfire; in a place I don’t remember being ever before. How did I get here? I don’t know…. I just need to find my way back, somehow. I walk in a random direction, hoping I'm going to find... something, literally anything. It’s night time, but I'm not sure how late into the night it has been. It’s fairly bright out, like there’s a full moon, but I can’t see the sky, it’s being obstructed by this green fog. The fog is growing thicker, limiting how far I can see more and more. The air quality seems to also be getting worst, I’m struggling to breathe. Wait, I see something up ahead; I’m going to check it out.

There’s this campfire, but it’s not a normal one. It’s burning with this unnatural bright green flame, and it’s making weird sounds. There’s the sound of a crackling fire, but alongside that is this weird light “tinkle’” sound, like the light sound of a wind chime, and what sounds like whispers as well. There’s also this backpack lying next to the campfire, I’m going to look inside it, maybe something useful. There’s a revolver, fully loaded, and there’s a box of spare ammo. Along with some food, coffee powder, and a jacket. I’m going to take the revolver and food with me... Wait, what’s that sound?

I hear this strange booming sound; it almost sounds like... Something big is coming for me... I need to get going now! I run in the opposite directing from where those booming footsteps are coming from. The sound gets closer and closer, faster and faster. I’m starting to hear it growling. I fall to the ground, I... Can’t run anymore... Can’t breathe... The fog... Too much... The sound is right in front of me now, but I can’t see anything. Whatever it is... it’s invisible. All I can see is the snow kicking up from the steps it’s taking. I pull out my revolver and start shooting at it, but to no avail. My bullets aren't doing nothing against it, they don’t even bounce off. They just go through it, like there’s nothing even there. It’s showing it’s face now; it looks like some sort of giant ghostly three headed wolf, walking on two legs. The last thing I see is it letting out a snarl, and lunging at me...

screen_a0178be1-8446-46bc-b1f3-024b81387fce_hi.thumb.png.856b740c440f924abbe8c2a0b6e25d3b.png

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Day 9 - Early Morning - Mystery Lake - Trappers Homestead

I jumped out of bed when I woke up this morning, I had a horrible nightmare last night. I think it may have been that 'herbal tea' or whatever I drank before I went to bed. I’m going to avoid the stuff from now on... I can’t let it get to me however, dreams aren't real. Instead, I have to focus on what is real, which is the real horror of being stuck here. At least this morning I got to have a somewhat normal breakfast, found some Pop-tarts in here. The toaster in here doesn’t work obviously, so I had to cook them over the fire. I think I may be the first person ever in history to cook a Pop-tart over a fire, I’m not entirely sure how I feel about that...

I was about to head back to the office when I was done with breakfast, but I found a potential way out nearby the homestead. A cave, no idea where it leads, or if it leads anywhere at all. But if there is a chance it could lead to safety, I have to go in and find out. My lantern was still mostly full with fuel, so I had no excuse. So, I turned it on and stepped inside.  If I get to half way empty on fuel, I have to head back...

screen_e53409bc-9dd7-43fd-9ce8-f1a412f7f821_hi.thumb.png.a91ad3ea57db74075b57952186d717ba.png

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Day 9 - Morning - Mountain Town - Cave

I remember when I said that the cabin I just spent a night in was cramped, and made me feel claustrophobic. Well, I take that back, the cabin was much more preferable over this cave I found myself in. I felt like I could hardly breathe, and that this whole cave could swallow me up any moment. Every now and then there would be crack in the ceiling that would show skylight, accompanied with snow on the ground. I even found a campfire, no idea who would want to camp inside a cave, but to each their own I guess... Eventually, after what felt like hours of spelunking, I saw the light of day, an exit at the end of the tunnel. I ran towards it with joy, I was ready to be rid of the cave for now.  

The exit led to a narrow ravine, with a frozen river. I followed the new pathway, hoping it wouldn’t lead to a dead end. It actually felt nice to be in a new area, away from the lake. I would be lying if I said I wasn't still having some amount of fun being here. Silly, I know, but I was sick with some wanderlust, and I couldn’t really help it. Soon I pass by a small waterfall, some water droplets from it fell on me. Beyond that was the end of the ravine, and I was atop of a cliff-side. Walking along that, across a fallen tree bridging two separated cliffs led to what might as well have been a dead end. 

There was a rock sticking out of the ground, tied to that rock was a climbing rope that down and into the ground below. I couldn’t climb down it however, I didn’t have the strength, or the equipment of it. Plus I was carrying way to much right now. So... I had to turn around. Another potential escape was now gone for the time being...  

screen_fab73ef1-c7ca-4283-b603-1fa0fe728224_hi.thumb.png.b71cfae518181de0ead257ca6fb40949.png

• Upvote 3

Day 9 - Afternoon - Mystery Lake - Trappers Homestead

I really hope there is a gym somewhere on this island. Otherwise, I have a lot of push-ups to go through before I can make that climb. I’m going to mark the entrance to that cave on my map. Once I get a bit more buffed up, and perhaps get some climbing equipment, I’m heading back there to explore that region when I’m ready. For the time being I have quite a few things to do, like some leather working. I went back to the homestead and picked up that leather working kit, then made my way back to the office, through the same route I came. The travel back was quiet, the only thing I could hear was some crows. Hmm, wonder if I could use their feathers for some arrows. 

Once I got back, something cropped up in my mind. I set the tools inside the office, then went back outside. I took a look at the passage way that’s behind the office. I remembered about a week ago there were some footprints leading down that passageway. At the time I was too afraid to follow them, since I suspected that it was some type of ambush. Now that I’m armed, and know the situation much better than I did a week ago, my curiosity was sparked once again. So, I went forward to see where this passageway leads. 

screen_16286aaf-bef0-449c-ab20-d76007cc4e19_hi.thumb.png.8d468f4ed2abd391e59840b0e15dbf2c.png

Edited by APixelatedLemon
  • Upvote 3

Day 9 - Late Afternoon - Mystery Lake - Cabin Office

The footprints were long gone, obviously. There has been like, three blizzards since then? But still, a week ago someone alive came through here for whatever reason. I wanted to find them, or whatever was left of them. Eventually there was a fork in the road. One path led back to the lake, the other kept pushing deeper into the hills. I took the latter path, a blind guess really. This passage way felt like it was only a step up from that cave I was in earlier today. I had to keep staring up and at the sky for reassurance that I wasn’t getting trapped. When I looked back down, I found what seemed to be the culprit that left those footprints. 

Another body, lying back against the snowy ground. He was half buried in a thick layer of snow, which means he was likely here a while ago. No visible wounds were on him. I wonder why he decided to come back here, instead of taking shelter inside the office. Maybe he caught some sort of illness and was looking for medicine. Whatever it was, he felt like shelter wasn't going to save him, so he decided to come back here instead. I felt guilty, if I had the courage to come back here a week ago, I could have had a chance to save him. Now, it’s too late. I was too scared back then. He didn't have much on him, other than a pocket knife. I didn't take it, I already had one. 

I went back the way I came. Back to office... 

screen_03f785d4-2128-4c73-b861-9c011fdb62b9_hi.thumb.png.958e9b426cddb950371f23a1aea635c3.png

• Upvote 4

Day 9 - Early Night - Mystery Lake - Cabin Office

Sitting here next to the stove again, and I’m afraid I don’t have much more to write about tonight.

I went back to the yellow train car to collect the handgun ammo there. I’ll start using my revolver when I get that holster made. Oh I also dropped off that sapling I picked up yesterday inside the office here. It needs to dry up a bit before it can be used for anything. I also need some better tools, which I'm not sure where to find those...

Not much else to talk about, so I think I’ll just call it a night. I think I might try my hand at fishing again soon, because I need some variety in my meals.

screen_cb4145ac-8a35-49c2-9e36-879a1f713ed8_hi.thumb.png.c44eaa54b172dd565684405babbb20a4.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Day 10 - Late Afternoon - Mystery Lake - Fishing Hut

Went fishing today, and I had some nice catches before my line broke. Five Lake Whitefish, and a Smallmouth Bass. Going to spend the rest of today gutting, and cooking these. After that I will gather up firewood, and storing it inside the office, because I'm getting low, and I rather not freeze in my sleep.

A rather slow, and uneventful day... 

screen_81857a28-5877-448b-b52e-a66664016c5e_hi.thumb.png.55793c6a92ea05625b2477b2ddd632ce.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Day 11 - Late Morning - Mystery Lake - Unnamed Cabin

I went out for a walk today, because I wanted to explore the region a bit more. I’m currently a little east of that unnamed pond I was at the other day, the one with the hunters' blind with that handmade bow. Speaking of which, I found another sapling to craft with, a maple sapling this time. I think it will make a great bow, but I’m going to need something for the ‘string’. Maybe I can use the animal guts drying back home. That field harvesting guide did say that was a potential use for animal intestines' when they dried, so we'll see. 

For now, I’m taking shelter in a cabin that was nearby. Yeah, another blizzard. Hopefully it will end before the day is over. 

screen_2ec4b898-e330-457f-bdbe-34abfd3d0d02_hi.thumb.png.40c1bc3f35c2a340e8ddf939521c537f.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Day 11 - Early Night - Mystery Lake - Unnamed Cabin

The blizzard lasted the rest of the day. I was planning on spending the night at that isolated cabin, but something woke me up. That something was the lights in the cabin flickering, another aurora was active tonight. I decided to walk back home during the night, it was bright enough to see, and the sky was beautiful to stare at, it was mesmerizing. I tried my best to keep an eye out for any danger while walking back, but nothing terribly exciting happened, and I got back without any incident. 

When I got in the door, I placed that maple sapling on the floor for it to dry. Okay, sightseeing and writing is over, time to-

screen_f849f06f-27d9-497e-97d4-5bf1834bf98d_hi.thumb.png.fed68a4d2a39ff43413a2902467c9dd6.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, APixelatedLemon said:

Day 11 - Early Night - Mystery Lake - Unnamed Cabin

The blizzard lasted the rest of the day. I was planning on spending the night at that isolated cabin, but something woke me up. That something was the lights in the cabin flickering, another aurora was active tonight. I decided to walk back home during the night, it was bright enough to see, and the sky was beautiful to stare at, it was mesmerizing. I tried my best to keep an eye out for any danger while walking back, but nothing terribly exciting happened, and I got back without any incident. 

When I got in the door, I placed that maple sapling on the floor for it to dry. Okay, sightseeing and writing is over, time to-

screen_f849f06f-27d9-497e-97d4-5bf1834bf98d_hi.thumb.png.fed68a4d2a39ff43413a2902467c9dd6.png

Suspenseful!

Day 12 - Midnight - Mystery Lake - Cabin Office

Actually, the laptop is on again. I know I previously said that I didn’t really care what was on it. But something about it is poking my curiosity. So, I’m at it right now, and it has a new message tonight. It seems like it’s a continuation of the previous one I saw a few nights ago. Here’s what both of them said to get the full story so far: 

“Bear activity around the Mystery Lake Region is pronounced, although human interaction by all accounts is very rare. This is to be expected this time of year, and based on the available data we can make the following conclusions:"

"Suggests adaptation to the new seasonal high temperatures. Recommend further study to confirm shift in migration. Previous observations confirm their presence.” 

Looks like every time an aurora happens, more of the message gets reveled to me. Why is it like that I wonder. I’m going to keep an eye on it, since it might come in handy to know what the bears are up to around here. Okay time for bed, I mean it this time.

screen_30c84d38-e7ff-4fef-bac7-688696d984ea_hi.thumb.png.03319208c777106975bb2114de810342.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Day 12 - Late Morning - Mystery Lake - Cabin Office

I think the deer hide is just about ready to be used for crafting. I’ve been making runs between the bunker and home to gather up supplies, and pool them inside the office to prepare. I’m going to need to hunt another deer later today, or tomorrow perhaps. I’m running out of venison, and I’m going to need more hide soon. 

Maybe I could make a sled of some kind to haul the deer back easier? Not sure yet, I’m going to start working on my holster and sling, then we'll see.

screen_980d589e-d7f4-4175-8da7-77dda1883e1d_hi.thumb.png.5156f4d5b6b0ef9cc594848d55ac4e0b.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Day 12 - Late Afternoon - Mystery Lake - Cabin Office

I just finished making that holster, and rifle sling. Having that revolver at my side and ready makes me feel a bit safer. Of course, I’m not going to be looking for trouble. But I’m going to bump into some wolves again eventually, so I need to be prepared. The rifle sling is also nice, I somehow actually feel pretty attached to my rifle these days. I almost keep forgetting I picked it off a dead guy a while back... I sure hope he wouldn’t mind... 

I still have some useable deer hide left; I'm thinking of making a sling with it. Not another rifle sling, but a rock sling, something to hunt those ribbits with. I’m going to need to practice with it sometime after I make it. I have a few empty cans around the place, those can make for some decent dummy targets. But all that will have to come at a later point. 

For now, I’m going to eat the last of my venison for dinner. Hunting will have to wait until tomorrow, another blizzard is occurring out there. They seem to happen much more than I was expecting out here. After dinner I’m going to see about making something to haul that deer back home. There is some useable wood, and maybe the carpet can come in handy. 

screen_22ff8b4a-673e-4e5d-b54e-cc2b76e64955_hi.thumb.png.1b17f2eb7759d7c901bbddeed507a8da.png

• Upvote 3

Day 13 - Morning - Mystery Lake - Unnamed Pond

I went out looking for some deer early this morning. There wasn’t any by the spot I hunted last time, which didn’t really surprise me. I was still a beginner huntsman, but even I knew it wasn’t wise to hunt in the same spots every time. So, I decided to search near that pond with the hunter blind. Turns out it was a good guess, because when I got there, I saw four deer. I wasn’t able to get inside the blind, so I just had to take a shot from up the hill. 

I took aim at the closest one's neck, and fired. A perfect hit, the rest of them ran off while the one I shot fell to the ground. I walked up to the carcass, thanked it, and dragged it off. I wasn’t able to make a sled last night, so I just had to take it with me the hard way. I needed to build up muscle anyways, so it was fine.

screen_a41cedcf-6642-46e9-b92d-58cd3f604985_hi.thumb.png.2519f7b23d13f762d9db5ed6c431ec2c.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Day 14 - Morning - Mystery Lake - Southern River

Something I noticed this morning while enjoying a nice stroll was there was frozen river connected to the main lake. I decided to take a look to see where it led. There was this small wooden area, plenty of trees, lots of tree limbs on the ground. But as I was enjoying the peaceful view, a wolf revealed itself from behind a tree, and let out a sharp bark as it saw me. 

Without much hesitation, I pulled out the revolver at my side, aimed. As I did the wolf tried to flank me, by running to my side, but that gave me a perfect shot into its lungs. As soon as my shot landed, It ran off with a whimper, leaving behind a rather large blood splatter in the snow. I followed after it to finish him off. I didn’t want it to suffer, I had no hatred towards it. It’s just both of us were doing what we needed to survive.  

screen_7ba88f79-d3d0-4603-90ca-dbf58b67ed53_hi.thumb.png.ef02f474350a90ee483e0723fa7f5876.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Day 14 - Morning - Mystery Lake - Southern River

The track was easy to follow. It was losing so much blood; I was surprised it was even able to run at all. I wonder if along with the wolves more aggressive behavior, they have become stronger is some ways as well? I kept following the bloody track up some hills, and eventually I found the poor thing. 

It was laying on its side, dying. I cautiously approached it, anticipating it to lung at me. I don’t even think wolves do that type of thing, faking being injured to get a surprise attack, but I was being safe rather than sorry. When I stood over it, I plunged my knife into its neck to end its pain, it then went limp. I then carried it back home to harvest it. It will be nice to get away from deer meat for a while.

screen_35e3c084-e9e6-49cb-836a-ed73df8357a0_hi.thumb.png.8e448f720b292240a6eb888c6348a53e.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Day 14 - Noon - Mystery Lake - Southern River

After dropping off that wolf carcass, and harvesting it. I continued where I left off, exploring down the frozen river. I kept my right-hand hovering over my revolver, just in case another wolf decides to take another shot at me. No such thing actually happened; most wolves probably left the area after that gunshot. I still haven't come across any bears yet, obviously a good thing. I’m unsure if the revolver would be enough to deter a charging grizzly from attacking me, so maybe I could find some bear spray somewhere. 

I took a right turn, along a path the led away from the river. That led me to an open area, with another one of those hunters' blinds. I took a look inside, and the only thing worthwhile was a firearm cleaning kit. That gunsmithing book I picked up a while back actually explained how to use these. Good thing I haven't thrown it into a fire, like I said I would. I’ll put it to use later, for now, I have to keep going.

screen_29ed561c-4b68-4985-80cd-a78415767a0b_hi.thumb.png.b1e42dd57c6445d10626f6ea4707d574.png

• Upvote 3