The hidden Wolf Plateau of Ash Canyon

Zaknafein

I guess that one fell through quality testing without anyone noticing it. There used to be a polaroid spawn point and there is a gap on the other side from where you climb it, and when you look across that gap, there's a tree which some supposed should have been felt to create a bridge across the gap, linking the plateau to the terrain around it. Somehow the tree is still standing and thus one can only get ontop of that plateau by stone-caching. The polaroid spawn point has been moved to a different location though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

I tavelled over to Ash Canyon, collected 50 stones, went up to the ice slope to climb, but could not work out what the stone-cache trick was.

This video explains it. Skip to 4m 42s for the rock cache trick specifically.

In short, you need to start placing the stone cache below your feet. Then you cancel the action, and you character moves upwards. Repeat until up there. I only needed to do it maybe 15 times but kimiota spend quite a long time doing it before he got up there. You will get it with practice.

• Upvote 1

I have spent almost an hour trying to get up the ice slope to Wolf Plataeu, and made very little progress.

I was using the stone-cache technique, but I suspect using it very badlyTo judge my progress I dropped a stick on the slope as a markler.  A few times I seemed to make a little headway, but at other times seemed to be be making no progress.  I suspect that progress up the slope is much slower than I expected, and I feel that I probably wasn't being careful enough, although I was trying to be careful, with my alignment up the slope.  I wasn't sure where I should be looking when I cancelled the stone-cache. I also wasn't clear whether I should be using "W", (I'm using a PC),  to move forward when I cancelled.

It was a frustrating and irritating experience.  All I hope to get from getting up there is a good charcoal survey to remove a black patch on my map.  Clearly we are not meant to go up there so I can't blame HTL.  I haven't given up yet, I'll probably try again, don't know why.  I must be stupid 😬

17 hours ago, peteloud said:

I was using the stone-cache technique, but I suspect using it very badlyTo judge my progress I dropped a stick on the slope as a markler.  A few times I seemed to make a little headway, but at other times seemed to be be making no progress.  I suspect that progress up the slope is much slower than I expected, and I feel that I probably wasn't being careful enough, although I was trying to be careful, with my alignment up the slope.  I wasn't sure where I should be looking when I cancelled the stone-cache. I also wasn't clear whether I should be using "W", (I'm using a PC),  to move forward when I cancelled.

Let me help. Are you using W? You should.

As I explain in the Campfire video, you can have your back to the slope and place it down. In which case, hold S while doing it. You need to be moving towards whatever you are climbing, otherwise you might fall downwards rather than up.

Alternatively, do it like I did in the Wolf Plateau video. Face the slope, look down, and hold W so that you are moving towards the slope. Select the cache and have it "placed" underneath you. Cancel, while still holding W. This will lift you upwards. Using this technique, I was able to climb up there in less than 60 seconds.

14 hours ago, Zaknafein said:

Alternatively, do it like I did in the Wolf Plateau video. Face the slope, look down, and hold W so that you are moving towards the slope. Select the cache and have it "placed" underneath you. Cancel, while still holding W. This will lift you upwards. Using this technique, I was able to climb up there in less than 60 seconds.

That is what I was doing, more or less, but placing the cache beneath me was a bit varied. I could not be sure exactly where is was being placed.

I shall try again.

Once again I have given up after about half an hour of repeatedly trying.

I tried once again on the snow slope but I seemed to be making little progress.  It was difficult to judge progress as there are few features on the snow slope and it I could not be sure that I was looking perfectly horizontally which was necessary to compare my progress against small features on the slope.

I decided to try the same procedure on the rock wall on the right side of the snow slope.  This time I definitely seemed to make some progress, but very, very slowly, and at times I seemed to be making no progress whatsoever. 

I think that the problem is that that when I tried to place the red cache beneathe me there were many positions that could be thought of as beneath me.  Deciding which position seemed to be critical.  Some times I even seemed to lose height.

Edited by peteloud

On 9/21/2022 at 10:55 AM, peteloud said:

I think that the problem is that that when I tried to place the red cache beneathe me there were many positions that could be thought of as beneath me.  Deciding which position seemed to be critical.  Some times I even seemed to lose height.

It needs to be directly underneath you, as close as possible. The closer it is, the more distance gained.

I'd help more, but it is hard to say what is wrong without a video of you doing it. Might just be trial and error :) kimiota took maybe 30 min getting up there and progress was very very slow. He placed sticks up the slope to measure progress.

Your video was a great help, and very well done, thanks, but I found the stone-cache jump just too much trouble.  Sometimes I gained a bit height, but often as not I lost that gain in a following jumps.   It wasn't all that important that I got up to the top of the plateau.  I'd rather get back to a normal game. 

• Upvote 1