Disappointing Summit Loot But Incredible Aurora & Got The Backpack!

Sgt Socks

So today I had a first! TECHNICAL BACKPACK!!!  I've only been playing since 2016 😄 And not only that but I shot the Moose at the bottom so now all I have to do is wait for the hide to cure and I'll have loooooads of space to fill up with junk!

After Ash Canyon I did the summit. Disappointing loot after all that effort.  I really really needed something warm up top but all I got of any use was a pair of climbing socks and snow pants, which I already have.  But I can't complain, got a good amount of MREs and finally a couple of hatchets.

The best part of this epic journey today was when I was resting in the Deer Clearing Cave. I had finished reading and about to go to bed, and I saw a gorgeous night sky.  So I went out and enjoyed it, and it then turned into the most incredible aurora.  Breath taking.  

So all in all today has been an extremely good day! Was very lucky with the weather; a blizzard hit just as I managed to dive into the tail of the plane on the Summit, and just made it to the Deer Clearing cave when another hit.  I got stuck there for two days but I got a lot of reading done and managed to whittle down my weight as I munched through the excessive food supplies I had taken.  I'll know next time I won't need as much.

Had to share these pictures.  This has properly made my day.

TWM Night 01.jpg

TWM Night 02.jpg

TWM Night 03.jpg

TWM Night 04.jpg

• Upvote 2

Oh bugger, there is a screenshot thread?  How on earth did I miss that?  I'll make sure I do that.  What a plonker.

I didn't get those bits, no chick.  I had taken too many supplies as I wasn't really sure what I'd need, and I knew I had the Summit to do plus two rifles I found on the way up waiting at Deer Clearing.  I may well go back to AC and do the other side later on in this run when I get bored in ML.  Or maybe brave it again when I've exhausted PV.  For now, I really don't want to do that walk again, it took me *forever* today because I was carrying so much! 😁

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

@Sgt Socks

A truly magnificent aurora!

As for the screenshots thread: here you go.

You're a legend Conan, thank you.  And I'm pleased you like the shots.  I sat there for ages watching it, so beautiful. This game really does take my breath away at times.

Disappointed the screenshots thread says about taking off the HUD icons though... I rather like seeing those, they make me chuckle when there is always a red overburdened sign on mine.  I don't think there's anything wrong with seeing the condition indicators.  I'll have to go through and crop everything, will get round to that in the next few days.

18 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

You're a legend Conan, thank you.  And I'm pleased you like the shots.  I sat there for ages watching it, so beautiful. This game really does take my breath away at times.

Disappointed the screenshots thread says about taking off the HUD icons though... I rather like seeing those, they make me chuckle when there is always a red overburdened sign on mine.  I don't think there's anything wrong with seeing the condition indicators.  I'll have to go through and crop everything, will get round to that in the next few days.

Well,I wouldn’t go as far to say that I’m a “legend” :). I haven’t earned that particular title... yet.

You’re on PC, right? You can click “F10” to take a high-resolution screenshot that won’t include your HUD elements; just be sure to clean up your home screen afterwards .

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

Oh bugger, there is a screenshot thread?  How on earth did I miss that?  I'll make sure I do that.  What a plonker.

I didn't get those bits, no chick.  I had taken too many supplies as I wasn't really sure what I'd need, and I knew I had the Summit to do plus two rifles I found on the way up waiting at Deer Clearing.  I may well go back to AC and do the other side later on in this run when I get bored in ML.  Or maybe brave it again when I've exhausted PV.  For now, I really don't want to do that walk again, it took me *forever* today because I was carrying so much! 😁

My apologies ,not my intention to make you feel bad. You're not a plinker.  There's a lot of stuff to get through on the forum and even after being on here a year or so I haven't seen half of it all.   I like reading your exploits as well as looking at the pictures ,I only mentioned screenshots so it would reach more people.🙂    

Too overweight to pick up more loot?😁. Blimey you really must be carrying the kitchen sink...  

I was hoping to get that bear coat so I could fix the bear roll when needed but ,wouldn't you know it,when I really needed it it wasn't there... Every other run yes but ... 🙂

14 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

You’re on PC, right? You can click “F10” to take a high-resolution screenshot that won’t include your HUD elements; just be sure to clean up your home screen afterwards .

Thanks Conan. I will try and remember this if I get a particularly spectacular shot worthy of the screenshot thread. However for my own threads I'll be leaving them in, I like seeing the HUD for entertainment 😉

12 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I like reading your exploits as well as looking at the pictures 

This has made my day! Perhaps I should start a thread to encompass all of this run as it is likely to be a long run (barring disaster of course). It probably won't be updated every day but at least I won't fill the forum with single topics.

Too overweight to pick up more loot?😁. Blimey you really must be carrying the kitchen sink...  

I was hoping to get that bear coat so I could fix the bear roll when needed but ,wouldn't you know it,when I really needed it it wasn't there... Every other run yes but ... 🙂

Omg you wouldn't believe. The kitchen sink, the bathroom sink and the bath! I was at 54kg walking back down from Deer Clearing to PV 🙈

My issue is I really don't like going back to most places, so I am more willing to have one long excruciatingly slow walk so I can get everything to my major stash points in PV & ML. Then I explore and return to PV, ML, BR and FM as a through way. I wish DP wasn't the opposite end because I like it there, but I can't be arsed with such a long journey again.

Of course, that bloody Murphy has a lot to answer for! I have high bear spawns on so fortunately I end up with enough bear pelts to both craft and repair but I can see why you would really want to pick them up in Ash.

I have to have the Bearskin bedroll & coat (no matter how heavy) later on in most of my runs because of the high cold settings, but this run I've toned them down a little so I can spend more time exploring and playing with the mods. Not that it stops me filling up my inventory of course 😁

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

This has made my day! Perhaps I should start a thread to encompass all of this run as it is likely to be a long run (barring disaster of course). It probably won't be updated every day but at least I won't fill the forum with single topics.

Omg you wouldn't believe. The kitchen sink, the bathroom sink and the bath! I was at 54kg walking back down from Deer Clearing to PV 🙈

My issue is I really don't like going back to most places, so I am more willing to have one long excruciatingly slow walk so I can get everything to my major stash points in PV & ML. Then I explore and return to PV, ML, BR and FM as a through way. I wish DP wasn't the opposite end because I like it there, but I can't be arsed with such a long journey again.

Of course, that bloody Murphy has a lot to answer for! I have high bear spawns on so fortunately I end up with enough bear pelts to both craft and repair but I can see why you would really want to pick them up in Ash.

I have to have the Bearskin bedroll & coat (no matter how heavy) later on in most of my runs because of the high cold settings, but this run I've toned them down a little so I can spend more time exploring and playing with the mods. Not that it stops me filling up my inventory of course 😁

A new thread sounds good to me.🙂.  

I know I'm a hoarder but even I don't take the bath😁  that's what forlorn is for.🙂 

I can understand that.. I feel like that about MT, bleak and forlorn..   I agree on desolation too.  I like the place but it's a long trek .maybe perserverence mills will link up to it somehow?  

• 3 weeks later...