Tips on moving from pilgrim to stalker

Leeanda

Has anyone got any tips for me please. I'm about to start my stalker challenge and as a constant pilgrimer I've picked up a lot of bad habits.  

I hardly ever make fires,I'm impatient and run a lot(and I mean a lot)..  I've never had reason to micro-manage things either so any help would be appreciated.  

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

• Leeanda changed the title to Tips on moving from pilgrim to stalker

@Leeanda

What I have learned so far is this:

• Micromanaging is not necessary. There are plenty of matches, and usually lots of found food.
  • Stay alert! Wolves are everywhere and they are VERY aggressive. Keep a gun handy.
  • Adopt the habit of torchwalking. This will save your life when you are out of ammo. If a wolf barks, simply drop the torch and aim a rock in his general direction.
  • It gets cold, but you still have most, if not all, of the findable clothing available,
  • You get tired really fast. Keep a cup of coffee handy.
  • Upvote 1

@diggity thanks.   That's one of my other problems...severely overburdened on a regular basis 😁

I forgot about the beloved cabin fever.... 

Never worn deerskin pants or used a decoy..

Doing well so far aren't I 😁 

@conanjaguar thank you🙂. I sincerely hope theres lots of loot. I got the impression that there wasn't but considering the smorgasbord I'm used to I'm in for a treat trying to find out.  Same applies to the wolves too.  Nearly none to 100's is going to be entertaining. Good job I'm used to being mauled by them.😁  

No running???? That's it, I've changed my mind. 😁 

(Hope you're having fun?)

• Upvote 1

Just now, diggity said:

haha yes, well impatience will surely get you killed in this game (not to mention cause big problems irl)

it's a strategic, methodical game that requires careful planning, which makes is both frustrating and satisfying.

More tips are coming to mind - I wouldn't leave the forge area without at least 100 arrowheads, if you can.  Sounds
like a lot but it's worth it, and drop off 10 here and there at your bases with a workbench.  Always carry 10 arrows.

Save bullets for the timberwolves.

Ironically it's only gaming I don't have much patience in, especially tld.   I've run into the backside of both moose and bear on many an occasion,literally. Even though I'm taking bears off on this run there's still the moose to worry about.  

I do expect to get frustrated , frequently.

I usually make about 40-50 arrowheads and carry at least half that amount of arrows even with rifle,flare and on occasion revolver.  I still lose half of them .I'm a bad shot with lousy eyesight..🙂.  

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll get past day 2 😁

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

There are all kinds of tips and strategies (that really are good for every flavor of survival mode).
As I can, I'll be happy to share what works for me.  :) 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Thank you🙂 

I'll take any tips and tricks you have.     So far I feel I've been pretty lucky ,fairly good weather and clothes . I'm concerned about keeping wolves at bay with only one flare though and no weapons.  If it's too windy for torches I'll be in serious trouble.   Plus I'm not sure of the mechanics of cabin fever, I've spent more time in than out but not had a warning or anything yet?  

• Upvote 1

Good luck Leeanda!

Stalker scares the bejesus out of me. Those damn wolves.

As far as cabin fever goes, you may find it catches you out a little later on. The mechanic annoys me and feels uneccessary so I take it out of my custom runs after paying my dues in Stalker.

What I would suggest is try to get in the habit of doing as much outside as you can, as long as you don't freeze your bum off of course! Any crafting (that doesn't need a workbench), reading, repairing etc do in the open air. The last thing you need is for cabin fever to spring when you get a couple days of really terrible weather when you have to stay indoors a lot or die.

Wolves. OK, so lack of flares is a bit of an issue. Conan is right, a lit torch can be an alternative although I found it less effective than flares. You may find the more you explore you'll find more flares though.

One thing Stalker did teach me, when I didn't have many flares or torches, was to listen to the type of growl of the wolf. Its hard to explain until you hear it for yourself but there is a particular escalation in noise when they are going to attack. Providing they don't just leap on you immediately (which happens *a lot* in Stalker), you can "lead" them without them charging.

Providing you don't have any scented items on you, aren't too encumbered and slow (I do that too!) then you can keep walking ahead of them. They will follow you and keep growling but you may just be able to to do it long enough to be able to get to somewhere safe. I've saved countless flares and torches this way. It might take a little while and a few struggles to get used to it but it's one lesson I'm really glad I learned.

Running! I sprint less than I used to but am definitely impatient. Do you have the sprinting perk you can use? If I remember rightly Pilgrim still counts towards the feats so you can reduce the calorie impact a bit at least.

If you do find a revolver then I would recommend taking it if you are going to be in a particularly bad wolf area, like FM/CH. It's one of the best ways to scare them off. I use the rifle for food and revolver for scaring wolves, but of course this isn't always possible if you don't have the item or weight space.

I can't offer any advice on bow usage. I've given up trying. I simply cannot get the hang of it despite many games trying to. Plus trying to track down corpses that have been injured but ran off got me into more trouble. If you can master it then fantastic because it is a really sustainable form of offence and defence.

Some really good advice given by others too. I'd agree with the clothing advice. Get the best manufactured clothing you can and keep it repaired. Use fishing lines to repair if you can, it is slower but helps in a long run by saving the harder to find sewing kits. Plus you can use almost broken lines to at least catch a couple of fish. As soon as you can at least craft the rabbit hat and mitts. These are the easiest to maintain or re-craft. Deerskin pants next.

I hope this helps and I wish you well on your Stalker journey! May the wolves be kept at bay.

• Upvote 1

Just now, APixelatedLemon said:

My advice is start in a region where you know at least a few possible spawn locations for a rifle or revolver. Once you get either of those the wolves become much less of a threat, as long as you can aim and have ammo.

Thank you. I've just started the run actually. In mystery lake as I know it the best.. no guns whatsoever😁. Plenty of ammo though. 

I could've thrown them at the wolves I suppose and run away while their eyes were watering.🙂 

Just walk away from wolves if you don't have weapons. They will follow you to the end of the earth, but they will rarely attack that way. And with good clothing you can survive back to back wolf attacks at full health. So gear up and keep your condition high.

The problem with Stalker is that there is so many wolves that you may deal with a pack or run into others. Interloper has far less wolves, but they are a lot more deadly.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

Realistically: the only thing that will do you in on Stalker is predators. Manage your scent, meaning don't have any if possible. Don't carry around meat, and especially not uncured guts, but cook and eat your meat on the spot, and let guts cure somewhere near where you obtained them and return for them later. Then, as long as you stay reasonably rested (>50%) and have a high % axe or knife to defend yourself with .... you will have a hard time killing yourself by accident. If you struggle with.... eh... struggles... use the option in the accessibility menu to just hold you mouse and be done with it. I do that as well, and I've never looked back.

Everything else pretty damn manageable. The world takes some time to cool down. You find all available clothing, and lots of it. Food is plentiful early and there is little reason not to stay well fed - which really helps with no being overburdened all the time. On that front: never carry more than 10kg above your "feel good" weight unless you absolutely must. I know it's very, very, VERY appealing to lug around all sorts of stuff and hoard masses of useless things in your various houses, but once you do the math how much that actually slows you down .... you will stop doing it. 😅 Learn.... to let go.

6 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Realistically: the only thing that will do you in on Stalker is predators. Manage your scent, meaning don't have any if possible. Don't carry around meat, and especially not uncured guts, but cook and eat your meat on the spot, and let guts cure somewhere near where you obtained them and return for them later. Then, as long as you stay reasonably rested (>50%) and have a high % axe or knife to defend yourself with .... you will have a hard time killing yourself by accident. If you struggle with.... eh... struggles... use the option in the accessibility menu to just hold you mouse and be done with it. I do that as well, and I've never looked back.

Everything else pretty damn manageable. The world takes some time to cool down. You find all available clothing, and lots of it. Food is plentiful early and there is little reason not to stay well fed - which really helps with no being overburdened all the time. On that front: never carry more than 10kg above your "feel good" weight unless you absolutely must. I know it's very, very, VERY appealing to lug around all sorts of stuff and hoard masses of useless things in your various houses, but once you do the math how much that actually slows you down .... you will stop doing it. 😅 Learn.... to let go.

Thank you. I was wondering why I haven't had a problem with the cold yet. I'm mostly still in the plus figures.  

The struggles are ok, I use the press and hold but it's choosing the weapon I can't do. I'm on Xbox though so Im not sure you can answer that. 

I hope you're feeling better these days?  

Guest jeffpeng
16 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Glad to hear it.🙂.    You couldn't lend my Astrid some could you. It's a bit nippy up at miners folly today.

I mean I would. Got like 9 cubic meters of dry beech and spruce outside, and I guess I'd have a piece or two for spare, especially for a lady in need. But I'm afraid the logistics would turn out to be quite the obstacle. 😄

Just now, jeffpeng said:

I mean I would. Got like 9 cubic meters of dry beech and spruce outside, and I guess I'd have a piece or two for spare, especially for a lady in need. But I'm afraid the logistics would turn out to be quite the obstacle. 😄

That's a lot of wood.. maybe a nice beech bed would be better than burning it.