Ultra realistic winter forest

yoli

If i remember correnctly, someone was talking about HL switching to unreal engine 5 but take this as a pinch of salt.

Looks awesome and would make TLD into a different yet beautiful game, but please have mercy on my +8 year old pc.

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2022 at 2:18 PM, yoli said:

Check this out folks, realism is fantastic, imagine the TLD UI on top :)

That looks very realistic indeed. However, a large part of TLD’s appeal is its unique and (dare I say) comforting art style.

23 hours ago, A Lamp said:

If i remember correnctly, someone was talking about HL switching to unreal engine 5 but take this as a pinch of salt.

Looks awesome and would make TLD into a different yet beautiful game, but please have mercy on my +8 year old pc.

This is indeed true. Some/many of us have older machines (we still have a functioning Windows ‘95! With DOS!), and to upgrade/overhaul the graphics to this standard would likely mean that, between the cost of hess. kinds of graphics, and buying a new computer for that specific purpose, TLD would become out of many people’s price range.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Some/many of us have older machines (we still have a functioning Windows ‘95! With DOS!), and to upgrade/overhaul the graphics to this standard would likely mean that, between the cost of hess. kinds of graphics, and buying a new computer for that specific purpose, TLD would become out of many people’s price range

I don't mean to sound selfish, but holding back a project because some/many people have older systems is not a realistic approach. Custom settings are included for a good reason.

I think TLD went with artistic approach because making realistic graphics requires a lot of talent and resources. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/26/2022 at 7:40 PM, Stinky socks said:

I think TLD went with artistic approach because making realistic graphics requires a lot of talent and resources. 

Today realistic resources are very easy to find, photogrammetry is wide spread and the demo I posted above is a pack you can get for a few dozens of dollars. I would say that nowadays a stylized environment is actually more difficult to produce than a realistic one!

Anyway I am not after super realistic graphics for TLD, stylized is fine and I am very happy with the style they chose so far. I guess for the next games they will get into something more sophisticated but that doesn't mean realistic or with absence of art style.

I believe the relevant quote from @Raphael van Lieropis something along the lines of "I wanted to create a moving painting that's trying to kill you" or something like that.

From my POV as a Canadian who knows and sees the references in the game to Canadian paintings, I think that the art style is pitch perfect.  Recognise this? 

Silver Birches by Tom Thomson | Fine Art Print

That's a famous painting by Tom Thomson, arguably the most famous Canadian painter and the inspiration for the name Thomson's Crossing. Or recognise this?

Indian Church' by Emily Carr at Cowley Abbott

This painting's called The Little Indian Church, and is certainly the inspiration for St. Christopher's Church in MT.

There are others, I see people like Lawren Harris, A. Y. Jackson and Arthur Lismer in various places and overall motifs in the game; for example the mountains around ML and the various places on the coast where ice piles up is definitely strongly influenced by Harris.

I say no to converting the game to realistic graphics. I love the art style.

FWIW.

• Upvote 4

To me, that looks like third grader drew it.

This is beautiful:

dWdlLmpwZw

Edit: also, if anyone seen vanishing of ethan carter exploration game, scenery is super gorgeous. It doesn't have to be ultra realistic to be beautiful. 

LnBuZw

Edit2: also plague tale innocence has gorgeous art style. And very attractive characters.

Zw

If Astrid and Will looked like characters in this game, it would be uber awesome!

Edited by Stinky socks
Potatos
  • Upvote 1

On 8/26/2022 at 7:40 PM, Stinky socks said:

I think different. I really like the cartoonish look of the TLD. I think almost everyone can use photo realistic meshes. Create artwork which actually works like in TLD is not easy and not everyone can do it. I have seen many cartoonish games which were rubbish. 

• Upvote 2