Enter The Long Dark Summer Cosplay Contest

2101179673_ForumLP-MobileBanner.thumb.png.dfba6925c7932b919d607ed518832cc3.png

WINNERS
Survivors, we would like to extend a sincere "thank you" to each and every participant for the passion, attention to detail, and sense of community demonstrated in this thread. There is some real talent and creativity on display here, and we appreciate each and every post.

Without further ado, we are pleased to announce the following winners of our first-ever Cosplay Contest:

• 1st place - @cemwisegamgee (Best WINTERMUTE Cosplay)
  • 2nd place - @UndeadMind (Best Non-Core Character Cosplay)
  • 3rd place - @kipfi (Best Survival Cosplay)

Additionally, as a gesture of appreciation, we have chosen the following runners-up in each category. Each will receive a limited-edition Hinterland mug:

We will be reaching out via direct message to help you claim your prizes.

Although this contest has come to a close, the fun isn't over. For another chance to win, or for those of you who weren't able to participate this time around, we will also be running a WINTER Cosplay Contest! Stay tuned for more details, including updated categories and prize packs.

Thanks again, Survivors!

Survivors, the time has come for another contest, and this is going to be our biggest one yet! The winners will receive one of the following fantastic prize packs: 

• First Place (Valued at approx. $450 CAD)
    • A copy of The Long Dark (on your preferred platform)
    • The Long Dark soundtrack Vol 1 & 2 (digital download)
    • … And a limited edition “The Long Dark” sweater created in partnership with the talented team at Granted! (Note: These rare sweaters are truly a work of art.) 
  • Second Place (Valued at approx. $240 CAD)
    • … And a limited edition Hinterland-branded Hunter’s Hatchet! 
  • Third Place (Valued at approx. $85 CAD)
    • … And your choice of Hinterland/The Long Dark mug! 

The winning entries will also be featured on social media accounts for The Long Dark.

TLD-summer-cosplay-forum-prizes.thumb.png.b9d016ea75df01873a072bcb91a3e0e4.png

Categories:

There are three winning categories. Please note that while there is only one first-place winner, the top entry can belong to any of the following categories: 

• Best WINTERMUTE Cosplay (Pick a specific character from Story Mode)
  • Best Survival Cosplay (Freestyle cosplay inspired by items in-game, but not necessarily specific characters)
  • Best Non-Core Character Cosplay (Pick one of the supporting characters from Story Mode)

How to Enter:

• Step 1 - Create your very best cosplay look from The Long Dark! Makeup (if needed), costumes, and props are all encouraged. While we certainly welcome all Mackenzies and Astrids, don’t be afraid to branch out! 
  • Step 2 - Reply to this thread with at least 2 photos or a video of your best original cosplay from The Long Dark. 
  • Step 3 - Please identify your submission category and the character you have chosen, if applicable. We also ask that you include a small paragraph that summarizes your cosplay experience. This could be a description, a creative story or poem, an anecdote from the game, or a meaningful quote. 

Entries will be judged based on creativity, attention to detail, accuracy, and enthusiasm!

A Few Ground Rules:

• Please follow all regular Forum Rules & Guidelines
  • Please be respectful of other entries and participants. Rude comments will be deleted and may result in disqualification from the contest. 
  • All entries must be your own original work. If more than one person is present in your photos (e.g. group shots), please indicate which character is yours. 
  • If you have shared cosplay pictures before, you are welcome to submit them again to this thread for consideration as part of the contest! 
  • For safety reasons, you are welcome to blur your face or other features that could be used to identify you. Choosing to remove identifying information will not impact your submission. 
  • Anyone can try any character/cosplay. All genders are welcome, as are all respectful forms of gender expression.
  • Maximum two entries per person.
  • Enjoy! You have a little extra time for this contest, so have some fun with it. 
  • By participating in the contest, you agree that we can share your submission(s) on social media. Personal information will only be collected in the event of the need to distribute prizes. 

The contest closes on September 19, 2022. The winner will be announced on September 20. Prizes are subject to shipping restrictions where applicable, and Hinterland reserves the right to change or moderate the contest as necessary.

Good luck, Survivors! 

• Upvote 4
  • Like 7

This looks really fun! 

Question: Are we allowed to make only one submission? Or can we make multiple submissions if we want to participate in more than one category? (Sorry if this was already stated but I couldn't see if it was)

Edited by Pencil

7 hours ago, Pencil said:

This looks really fun! 

Question: Are we allowed to make only one submission? Or can we make multiple submissions if we want to participate in more than one category? (Sorry if this was already stated but I couldn't see if it was)

• Maximum two entries per person.

5 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Cosplay is not my thing but i bet ppl will be happy.

Question: Can we buy the sweater and hatchet ? I need them to live :D

I checked out the sweater lines at Granted at they run around $330 USD.  Didn't see a pattern in their line up from Hinterland so it must be a one time only custom made sweater.  Cool, but too bad I'm allergic to wool...
I'd like a hatchet and coffee cup myself!  So when is the store gonna open again?  People want merchandise but can't buy it cause the store is still closed???
That's a helluva way to run a business...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Cosplay is not my thing but i bet ppl will be happy.

Question: Can we buy the sweater and hatchet ? I need them to live :D

The store isn't currently open, but we hope to have more information to share later this year. We'll certainly keep you posted!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I checked out the sweater lines at Granted at they run around $330 USD.  Didn't see a pattern in their line up from Hinterland so it must be a one time only custom made sweater.  Cool, but too bad I'm allergic to wool...
I'd like a hatchet and coffee cup myself!  So when is the store gonna open again?  People want merchandise but can't buy it cause the store is still closed???
That's a helluva way to run a business...

There are a number of logistical considerations to running the merch store, particularly during the pandemic. Safety is our top priority. We hope to have more information to share on the store later this year.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Admin said:

There are a number of logistical considerations to running the merch store, particularly during the pandemic. Safety is our top priority. We hope to have more information to share on the store later this year.  

While we are on this subject, would it be permissible to modify a coffee cup to look like the Hinterland mug?

On 8/19/2022 at 2:22 PM, piddy3825 said:

[deleted]

No one is playing. It's a real thing. Just because it feels like it's gone doesn't mean it is. Last year's summer was the same. Felt like it was non existent, in autumn and winter it backfired super hard. Will be the same this year.

• Upvote 2

Friend, I don't want trouble, nevertheless I'd like to elaborate on the thought. 

In my opinion, he is a very interesting character and you can pull off a fascinating cosplay if you pick a friend and do the carter hydro dam scene. That way our survivors, who live in southern states don't need to search for snow. You can basically play that scene in any building and even include a briefcase as a bonus!

Edited by Stinky socks
Speelign
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Psychopaths are doing mathis

That's who.

It's comments like that that make me sad .  It's not nice and there was no reason for it .   

There's a saying that people seem to have forgotten these days.. 

If you can't say anything nice ,then don't say anything at all.  

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Friend, I don't want trouble, nevertheless I'd like to elaborate on the thought. 

In my opinion, he is a very interesting character and you can pull off a fascinating cosplay if you pick a friend and do the carter hydro dam scene. That way our survivors, who live in southern states don't need to search for snow. You can basically play that scene in any building and even include a briefcase as a bonus!

6 hours ago, Leeanda said:

It's comments like that that make me sad .  It's not nice and there was no reason for it .   

There's a saying that people seem to have forgotten these days.. 

If you can't say anything nice ,then don't say anything at all.  

Sorry I was making a joke I didn't mean to be offensive. 😊

My submission:Will McKenzie freestyle 

Category: Survival Cosplay/Wintermute

A younger Will finds himself in a clearing in the forest and decides to start a fire and explore the area.

The rifle is a 30-30 from the 1970s I don't exactly have a rifle is as old as the one ingame so I improvised a little

20220820_172954.jpg

20220820_173719.jpg

Edited by Devo343
  • Upvote 7
  • Like 1

Title: "We Who Fight Monsters"

Category: SURVIVAL

To me "The Long Dark" is a love letter to survival and adventure, to epic journeys and cinematic grandeur. When I play these episodes, exploring the vast wilderness of their stories and tales told, of frozen horror and haunting beast, it gives that feeling you get when you're the first in line to buy a movie ticket. How once you do, it's as if theater magic were making it warm from where it was just torn. As if it held a whisper of a promise that something special awaited you. THAT is the feeling I get while playing Mackenzie, desperately traversing a frozen world of mystery and suspense against wolves, legends and the worst kind of predator...man itself. My hope, with this, was to give a little of that cinema magic back. Another inmate of BlackRock, lost in the memories of his own violent past, haunted by what the future will bring by tooth and claw...a man, much like Mackenzie, on a personal quest of his own. Either way, the journey awaits.

• Upvote 7
  • Like 3

Just now, Matthew Ewald said:

Title: "We Who Fight Monsters"

Category: SURVIVAL

To me "The Long Dark" is a love letter to survival and adventure, to epic journeys and cinematic grandeur. When I play these episodes, exploring the vast wilderness of their stories and tales told, of frozen horror and haunting beast, it gives that feeling you get when you're the first in line to buy a movie ticket. How once you do, it's as if theater magic were making it warm from where it was just torn. As if it held a whisper of a promise that something special awaited you. THAT is the feeling I get while playing Mackenzie, desperately traversing a frozen world of mystery and suspense against wolves, legends and the worst kind of predator...man itself. My hope, with this, was to give a little of that cinema magic back. Another inmate of BlackRock, lost in the memories of his own violent past, haunted by what the future will bring by tooth and claw...a man, much like Mackenzie, on a personal quest of his own. Either way, the journey awaits.

What a way to make your first post🙂.  Welcome to the forum 

• Upvote 1