Would you really eat it?

Leeanda

8 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

I’ll eat the dog food, I’ve eaten dry dog and cat food before anyway.  Not to mention, a can of Hormel corned beef hash smells EXACTLY like wet dog food when you open the can, and I’ve eaten that.  Besides, then I can be like….08B2CADF-DAF7-4858-A708-BC38CA2CE1A6.gif.f10a70b8f7b3fa22fe39c826a5b7ca3c.gif

May I ask why you've had dog/cat food before?

• Upvote 2

Just now, conanjaguar said:

Possibly as a dare? Dog biscuits supposedly taste good.

Or drunk?🙂.  I'll admit to eating dog chocolate drops which are quite nice.    Hopefully I'll never have to find out about the biscuits or tins.

• Like 1

Just now, Stinky socks said:

To be completely honest, those pedigree canned dog food smells awesome! I can imagine it would taste pretty good on top of mashed potatos.

I have to say that certain brands  look more like stew ,and do smell slightly more appealing than that grey gunk that you have to pry out the tin with a crowbar🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2022 at 5:22 PM, Leeanda said:

Or drunk?🙂.  I'll admit to eating dog chocolate drops which are quite nice.    Hopefully I'll never have to find out about the biscuits or tins.

Oh I'm laughing at this thread!

Leeanda... I thought it was just me! And I've eaten dog biscuits. Charlie wasn't impressed with me but I wanted to see what they were like. Not bad actually.

I think I'd struggle with the canned wet dog food though. The smell makes me retch. But I really hate being hungry and when I was a competitive swimmer I ate loads of weird stuff that tasted awful because I had to.

I certainly don't leave the dog food tins behind when I'm being a little loot goblin. If it's a choice between that and The Long Dark I'll be holding my nose and thinking of England.

And in game... I'll eat it all without hesitation. I don't have any qualms about the predator meat. Those bas***ds try and eat me (and have succeeded on many occasions) so I'm going to get my own back. Hah. Eat that Bear.

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Socks said:

Oh I'm laughing at this thread!

Leeanda... I thought it was just me! And I've eaten dog biscuits. Charlie wasn't impressed with me but I wanted to see what they were like. Not bad actually.

I think I'd struggle with the canned wet dog food though. The smell makes me retch. But I really hate being hungry and when I was a competitive swimmer I ate loads of weird stuff that tasted awful because I had to.

I certainly don't leave the dog food tins behind when I'm being a little loot goblin. If it's a choice between that and The Long Dark I'll be holding my nose and thinking of England.

And in game... I'll eat it all without hesitation. I don't have any qualms about the predator meat. Those bas***ds try and eat me (and have succeeded on many occasions) so I'm going to get my own back. Hah. Eat that Bear.

It is kind of hard eating their stuff when they stand there looking up at you with a hurt expression on their faces.😁

• Upvote 1

I've eaten moose and bear meat (both in a moose park in sweden) and as kids we ate dry cat- and dog food. But to be honest, if I were truly hungry I'd eat anything that doesn't poison me. Just look at the participant's dieds in the tv show Alone, some lived days on mice, snails, beach combed fish, kelp, seaweed, beaver, muskrats and wolverine, the last three catches were considered a jackpot. So yeah, if one is hungry, anything that puts calories into the body goes.

When Sir John Franklin was exploring Canada around 1820s not only did the men eat their boots, but one person murdered another and ate him.  On Franklin's last expedition looking for the North West Passage, when everyone died, there was evidence of cannibalism on the bones that were found many, many years later.

I am sure when one is starving a can of dog food would be very welcome.

Restaurants could charge premium prices for meals of moose, bear and wolf.

There are quite a few stories of cannibalism ,mainly from the last century or two  but given that in those days explorers would try and eat everything anyway it's not surprising they'd munch on a tasty corpse.  Attitudes have changed quite a lot these days,vegans are increasing, more food allergies  etc... So its more of a moral dilemma than it used to be.