Favourite episode?

Stinky socks

Favourite episode  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Howdy! What's your favorite episode in wintemute? Looking back, me thinks I enjoyed #1 the most. From the hangar, to the crash site, first night in the cave, trying to figure out survival and to the descend into the mountain town, there was so much happening, and in the end, the epic departure towards the rope descend- that was most epic. 

Episode 2 was perhaps close second as I enjoyed the company of retired solid snake. It was somewhat heartbreaking, leaving him behind.

Episode 3 was great, but somewhat annoying trying to care for those injured passengers. I wish it was optional and you had an option to let them freeze. The rest of the episode three was quite good.

Episode 4, not sure how I feel about it. Maybe I've played too much survival at this point before attempting episode 4? I can't say I was overly excited about it, especially towards the finish. It wasn't bad. That bad guy was very bad though! 

Anyways, what's your take? Ps- multiple choice available if you're tied between certain episodes. Also, votes are private in case you'd like to keep your opinion in closed form.

• Upvote 1

Glad to see you back on the forum 🙂  

I voted for episode three but it's really a tie with episode  one. I actually enjoyed lugging the survivors around in the blizzard. Using the flare gun and waiting for a reply  kind of felt like it added an extra part to the story.    

Episode 2? Nope!  Hate that bear, especially in the cave.  Otherwise it's good. 

Episode 4?  Well, it was ok. A bit confused as to where it's going if I'm honest.  

36 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Episode 4?  Well, it was ok. A bit confused as to where it's going if I'm honest.  

Totally agree on ep4. I've seen instances where story feels like it goes all over the place to be summarized in the final stages. Personally, I'm not a big fan of such approach. In any case, there's a lot of materials that have to go back together for the final episode if it is to make sense. Not sure how hinterland can pull this off.

Absense of that, what's that guys name? was a bit disappointing. I remember always looking forward to a bit of a chat with him somewhere in the middle of my travels. That gas station and just before you enter broken railroad warehouse, meeting him was always a refreshment. Didn't feel like I was totally alone in the wilderness. 

Don't get me wrong, alone is the name of the game of TLD, but when it comes to story mode, any NPC is a welcome sight.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stinky socks said:

Totally agree on ep4. I've seen instances where story feels like it goes all over the place to be summarized in the final stages. Personally, I'm not a big fan of such approach. In any case, there's a lot of materials that have to go back together for the final episode if it is to make sense. Not sure how hinterland can pull this off.

Absense of that, what's that guys name? was a bit disappointing. I remember always looking forward to a bit of a chat with him somewhere in the middle of my travels. That gas station and just before you enter broken railroad warehouse, meeting him was always a refreshment. Didn't feel like I was totally alone in the wilderness. 

Don't get me wrong, alone is the name of the game of TLD, but when it comes to story mode, any NPC is a welcome sight.

You mean Methuselah?   Yes he's been sadly missed by quite a few of us.  I hope they bring him back. 

Just now, Stinky socks said:

Yes, that guy. Wondering if he will make an incredible comeback at some point along with Molly, she was kickazz!!

I'm hoping most of them will return.  Might be kind of nice if they all rallied round at the end to help defend will and Astrid . Maybe against Mathis, if he has to be in episode 5 anyway..   

I remember your fondness for Molly.😁

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Morning everyone,

I know....I know.....you going to lough....

But I've got a question

How do you play those episodes ?

Is that wintermute....further down the line?

I've tried to play wintermute twice or something and never got much further than helping the traper or something....

The trailers from those episodes look a bit more fun....

Or maybe I'm just a survivor.....

For me it is Ep1 in retrospect. It was the best overall experience. Tense story, choices and good flow.

EP2 was cool with the long ventures to the Dam and FM but I did hate that bear cave sequence.

EP3 was good too, with a different view point but rescuing the survivors with timberwolfs around was no fun.

EP4 was expected much and was great with a new region, but it felt somewhat awkward with the item removal and errand runs. The mine gas thing was also close to be frustrating. Finally during the last timed prison escape phase, I got disoriented and did not know, where to go.

Spoiler alert.

Episode 4 is my favorite thus far. Not only does it start you off with nothing, you can be reset to nothing if you're not paying attention. This makes the crafting system SUPER valuable in this episode. Plus with how unforgiving the region is, all the survival lessons you've learned up to this point become vital. On the other hand you get a  moosehide satchel, rifle, bow, revolver, flare pistol, noisemakers, and no survivors to carry around.

This is the episode I invariably spend the most time on, since I sort of revert to Survival mode. Straight out of the gate, I start hunting down side quests. The warden? Ehhhh he'll be fine. I've got loot to hoard and pants to sew.

• Upvote 1

Episode 4 by far. The previous episodes to me felt like glorified tutorials at times, which for newer players, it's likely appreciated. But for me, someone who's been playing since 2015, it felt too easy. 

Episode 4 finally took off the training wheels, and actually felt like a challenge at times. Also, it was nice to be in a new and unknown region. Only part I hated was the mine with toxic gas. 

I thought they were all quite good. I totally agree with the previous 2 posts regarding EP4. But I also liked EP2 for the longer treks & not being stuck in 1 region for the duration. I wish all the regions were utilized somehow, in story mode.

For that reason EP2 squeaks out a victory. But not by much, IMO they're all great.

4. Episode four is more of an action-adventure game then a survival game. Complete with terrible puzzles.

3. Episode one does its job as the tutorial well but is held back by that fact that it is indeed the tutorial. Same with all of Wintermute actually.

2. I am in the "Slowly carrying anther survivor across the landscape is one of the best missions" camp. At least the first time. That last quest to gather three more survivors just felt like a waste of time to me. I also didn't like how many scripted timber wolf encounters there are as after a while they just became an interruption. Also, it was at this point that hinterland inability to make human characters that exist outside of cutscenes started to stand in the way of my enjoyment. The score was once again amazing. In fact, there were a few times I stopped before reaching an objective just let the song I was listening to finish. 

1. Episode two has the advantage because when I think of it, I think of the best parts from both versions.  I liked how you use to only see the The Lions Roar cutscene at the start of episode two. After the cut scene with the bear, it signaled that the tutorial was over. That now you wear going to experience this harsh wildness. That every day would be a fight for survival. That now you would get to see what the game was about. The old version of the fight with the Old Bear use to be better too. It was a lot shorter, had less button mashing and was less heavily scripted. The new version feels like I'm going to three places just because the developers told me to and then having fights at scripted times that might as well be quick time events. Oh, wait fighting the old bear is literally quick time events with a stealth section in a game that's stealth isn't designed for tradition stealth sections. It still has the best story in Wintermute and the trip to the Hunting lodge and then back to the Trapper's Cabin was the pinnacle of fetch quests. At least the old version was.