Randomness and permadeath

Fuchikoma

Permadeath makes you risk-averse, which I guess is the whole point... Being able to save progress at any point encourages you to "try your luck" in the silliest ways, which is illusion-shattering and ultimately makes any game boring. So I'm not against the concept per se...

However, it can also become a heavier burden than it is supposed to be... In the case of TLD, for me at least, it comes in the form of seemingly random and sudden changes in weather patterns. Now that I've managed to keep alive for a while (not much merit I guess since I'm playing in "Pilgrim" mode), I find myself reluctant to undertake any significant journey, just in case a blizzard suddenly starts and kills me before I can find my way back to shelter. Since I've become almost self-sufficient (I can set-up traps to catch rabbits, go fishing, scavenge deer killed by wolves...) I haven't got much incentive to keep on the move. In short: I have comfortably settled at the field office and I reckon I can last as long as my supply of matches, which is several weeks, provided I'm not taking any unnecessary risks...

And that's where permadeath becomes an obstacle to realism and to my enjoyment of the game. In the real world, I think I would have developed a sense of what the weather is likely to be in the near future, which I would then use to make decisions. For instance, if I am reasonably confident that I have 18 hours without blizzard ahead of me, I could set off on a long-range exploratory trip. On the contrary, if it's only 4 hours, a quick stroll to check my traps and gather wood before sitting down to repair my gear or craft something would be the sensible course of action.

Now it seems like there are some clues (e.g. when the wind starts blowing, a blizzard might follow), but reliably identifiable weather patterns appear to be lacking. I don't know how to introduce it without compromising the atmosphere and spirit of TLD (watching a televised weather forecast would hardly be appropriate ;-), but some sort of indication as to what the weather has in store would be welcome.

What I'm trying to say here is: if permadeath is going to remain a feature of the game (as I think it should), then I believe it is important to ensure that no unrealistically random events risk putting an abrupt end to the player's adventure.

I think the weather should take a more gradual turn too. Also should be some days where the weather is in a pattern and is simply overcast all day, or simply blizzard all day, or simply sunny the same weather pattern unchanging for the whole day. Other days it transition faster but right now you can literally have 5-7 weather types each day or more and that is pretty unrealistic.

I understand there is a gameplay mechanic and weather has to play a factor I just with it was a more realistic factor.

Permadeath makes you risk-averse, which I guess is the whole point... Being able to save progress at any point encourages you to "try your luck" in the silliest ways, which is illusion-shattering and ultimately makes any game boring. So I'm not against the concept per se...

However, it can also become a heavier burden than it is supposed to be... In the case of TLD, for me at least, it comes in the form of seemingly random and sudden changes in weather patterns. Now that I've managed to keep alive for a while (not much merit I guess since I'm playing in "Pilgrim" mode), I find myself reluctant to undertake any significant journey, just in case a blizzard suddenly starts and kills me before I can find my way back to shelter. Since I've become almost self-sufficient (I can set-up traps to catch rabbits, go fishing, scavenge deer killed by wolves...) I haven't got much incentive to keep on the move. In short: I have comfortably settled at the field office and I reckon I can last as long as my supply of matches, which is several weeks, provided I'm not taking any unnecessary risks...

And that's where permadeath becomes an obstacle to realism and to my enjoyment of the game. In the real world, I think I would have developed a sense of what the weather is likely to be in the near future, which I would then use to make decisions. For instance, if I am reasonably confident that I have 18 hours without blizzard ahead of me, I could set off on a long-range exploratory trip. On the contrary, if it's only 4 hours, a quick stroll to check my traps and gather wood before sitting down to repair my gear or craft something would be the sensible course of action.

Now it seems like there are some clues (e.g. when the wind starts blowing, a blizzard might follow), but reliably identifiable weather patterns appear to be lacking. I don't know how to introduce it without compromising the atmosphere and spirit of TLD (watching a televised weather forecast would hardly be appropriate ;-), but some sort of indication as to what the weather has in store would be welcome.

What I'm trying to say here is: if permadeath is going to remain a feature of the game (as I think it should), then I believe it is important to ensure that no unrealistically random events risk putting an abrupt end to the player's adventure.

thanks for your feedback! It has been passed on to the dev team :)

Well it's not that you die immediately when a blizzard's coming up, so preparation is the key here. Know your envoirment, look out for shelter, bring some munchies and your bedroll.. ;)

This. If weather was to be made more predictable, I would kindly ask that this would only apply for Pilgrim/Voyager mode. There are some people out there (or... out here?) who exclusively play Stalker and would like it to be even harder (I am one of them). Predictable weather would make it easier, however.

Well it's not that you die immediately when a blizzard's coming up, so preparation is the key here. Know your envoirment, look out for shelter, bring some munchies and your bedroll.. ;)

This. If weather was to be made more predictable, I would kindly ask that this would only apply for Pilgrim/Voyager mode. There are some people out there (or... out here?) who exclusively play Stalker and would like it to be even harder (I am one of them). Predictable weather would make it easier, however.

+1 for pikkue and +1 for Hotzn too

I think it should also count in Stalker mode. I love it hard and by hard I mean a great deal of what happens I can somehow control or manipulate for my own survival. Weather randomness with a all weather types per day don't make it hard just synthetic and predictable in the long run. If you have blizzard 2 days or more would force you to make a choice. Time to make something if you have the need and material. Time to sleep if you have the wealth for that. Or time to move into the blizzard because of desperation and hunger. Finding soft and hardwood outside in a blizzard shouldn't be possible. You may stick to reclaimed wood.

Archived