Trying a new challenge: NOGOA + Dead World

Glacia

After getting a bit exhausted of standar interloper difficulty, im gonna try a different approach in my next run.
NOGOA is a custom difficulty with everything bad to max, and everything good to min.
Also, you start in a blizzard!
But my run have a twist:  There is not a single animal in the game (Dead world).

NOGOA, by default, is a deadman run where you can't recover condition.
However, i want to have a real end-game goal and some hope to survive, so condition recovery is allowed.

The rules are the following:
- Everything bad to max, everything good to min.
- Condition recovery is very slow.
- There is no animals, BUT, you can fish (With the worst drop setting).
- Snares not allowed.
- BBT optional, cabin fever optional.
- No feats, random region.

This run is gonna be a nightmare, i might feel safe without predators, but this is also my death sentence, because there is not renewable food.
Also, several items now become imposible to craft, or incredible hard to get.

My goals for surviving:
- Loot every carcass avaliable, because they are the only way to get guts!  Guts are needed to craft fishing tackles, my endgame only hope to survive.
- Find fishing books, because leveling fish before breaking tackles is a must.
- Trip around the world looking for wolf carcasses and rabbit cured pelts.
As long as i know, there are enough wolf carcasses to make at least one wolf coat.
Also, summit have one cured rabbit pelt, and so HRV.
- Looting almost everything, because the only hope to survive early-mid is with what spawns and cattails/reishi/rose hips.

If i can manage to travel around all regions and survive the worst game settings, i should end with fishing level 5 and a decent clothing.
Then theoretically i can survive indefinitely fishing a lot, if my tackles resist the 1% chance to break.
The only viable regions for this strategy are coastal highway, mystery lake and MAYBE bleak inklet/keeper pass south.

CODE:  8sHM-/z8P-Dy9K-DXim-HUIA

I don't even know where i started, this run is gonna be fun 💀

hD8Dfab.png

• Upvote 3

Oh boy. I too have some experience in NOGOA - getting better  and better thanks to @Zaknafein and his NOGOA episodes (absolute gold for learning how to change playstyle from loper to nogoa).

I have to say ive been tempted to try nogoa with slow regeneration turned on but it feels like SUPER Interloper rather than NOGOA for me. However the twist you made with the dead world makes this challenge super hard mostly bcoz no clothes and no food supply, leveling cooking is going to be a pain and first few lvl's of fishing will take a lot of guts...  I have my thumbs up for you but i doubt you will get till 50 day mark. i also think there is no way of living indefinately on this setting - you will run out of fishing line/guts sooner or later (yesterday i broke 3 fishing lines on lvl 5 fishing....RNG is a b**ch!)

Brutal !  Good luck ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, James Hickok said:

I have to say ive been tempted to try nogoa with slow regeneration turned on but it feels like SUPER Interloper rather than NOGOA for me.

The biggest difference is the slow condition recovery, every mistake is incredible punished and you need  A LOT of days to fully recover condition. This makes a good early start a must, the best regions being the ones with good clothing and resources, like pleasant valley.

On my first run, i faded trying to survive Ash Canyon. I managed to get the backpack and some loot, but i lose a lot of condition on the travel, and died a few later in my way to TWM.

My second run is a lot better, i spawn on Milton, exactly where you start at Wintermute 🥰. I have a very decent clothing and the entire region looted, but even in the best circumstances i have only 20 cattails left.

This kind of run is interesting because every region becomes a death sentence if you stay for too long, you need to loot quickly and then move to another regions to get good clothing and stuff quick, before the temperature decays a lot and you can plan an strategy to long-term survival in a region.

Also, several regions now are god-tier because of the cattails you can loot (Im talking about you, Forlorn muskeg), and others because of the several deer carcasses to loot (Broken railroad).

This challenge focuses a lot on microgame elements and always think about of what comes next, because one single day can be enough to run out of food and other resources, i find extremetly satisfying for hardcore players looking for a different play style.

Right now im staying at the car in milton basin, with a blizzard outside 💀

Next move:  Broken railroad

2.png

• Upvote 3

I keep my thumbs up for You @Glacia !

Moving from one region to another (the ones that matter the most in the first 50 days) is essential. Gather that gear, clothing and move on so yeah ur absolutely right. I would go PV first then ML (mostly maglense), then Forlom for crafting and food (you find the hammer in pv or ml by this time) then Railroad i think. Yeasy to say than done on that difficulty ;)

boy oh boy you have ruined my work day - i think i will take a day off work , leave now and go play The Long Dark :D

Keep warm up there @Glacia !

Update on my run:

After looting most forlorn muskeg region and crafted hatchet/knife, i reached the best map in the game:  Broken railroad

BR is usually a mediocre map on interloper, but is the best region in dead world runs! , because of the incredible amount of carcasses to harvest (Even a wolf one).

Also, the region is small and it's incredible easy to reach a safe place if a blizzard moves on, saving condition and resources. You can get a fair amount of cattails , food and up to 3 stims, plus a six stove + workbench in the hunting lodge.

My plan is looting everything, craft two deer pants and maybe the boots, and most important, the fishing tackles for late game.

With a lot of resources and good clothing, im gonna return to Milton, then go to HRV to find wolf carcasses, rabbit pelts and maybe more clothing if im lucky. 

screen_9cf3ccb3-d82a-4cab-bef1-1768317a428a_hi.png

screen_e55adbbc-fe7a-44f4-b343-24839611af85_hi.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 1:08 AM, Glacia said:

This run is gonna be a nightmare, i might feel safe without predators, but this is also my death sentence, because there is not renewable food.

There is renewable food.  Birch bark.

Zak is doing a "birch bark" only IL run - you can survive for quite a long time just on that. Combined with rabbits and fish, food should not be a huge problem.

Clothing and warmth is probably the bigger issue.

Overall, this is a great challenge, I think I might try this myself.

-t

Edited by turtle777
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, turtle777 said:

There is renewable food.  Birch bark.

Zak is doing a "birch bark" only IL run - you can survive for quite a long time just on that. Combined with rabbits and fish, food should not be a huge problem.

Clothing and warmth is probably the bigger issue.

Overall, this is a great challenge, I think I might try this myself.

-t

Hate to break it to You but there is no birch bark and rabbit snaring in NOGOA mode. At least it should be off in real nogoa.

He did allow small life regeneration which is not really a nogoa run imo but he did add the dead world which complicates things a lot. He did say BBT optional but in real nogoa no bark tea, no health regen what so ever - only with stim and fully fed cheese tactic if you wish. Only food that he finds, carcass and fishing for him. 

Here is what real nogoa is: 

Watch the fist few mins and see the settings. 

Edited by James Hickok
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

carcass and fishing for him. 

Doesn’t a moose carcass spawn somewhere in HRV on ‘Loper? If so, then that would be a week’s supply of meat for @Glacia. In my mind, the top regions to be in on this difficulty setting would be:

• Forlorn Muskeg: Tons of cattails, plus the guaranteed dog food at Spence.
  • HRV: The Moose!
  • Broken Railroad: As @Glaciasaid, BR has many deer carcasses.
  • TWM: The Summit, of course! Crackers aplenty, cattails, and a fishing hut on Crystal Lake.
  • Bleak Inlet: Preplaced wolf carcass and wind, wind, wind!

hmm fun challenge. Though Dead world seems to me to add to the "churniness" of NOGOA😁

Coastal highway seems like good base. Beach coming, coalmine for fishinghuts, loot of fishing

Maybe strategy suggest to use all expandable ressources to build up for a fish-a-ton 😀

6 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Hate to break it to You but there is no birch bark and rabbit snaring in NOGOA mode. At least it should be off in real nogoa.

Of course!  BBT is disabled on my run and i don't know exactly if snares work with rabbits disabled (Anyways, my self rules are against using snares).

6 hours ago, James Hickok said:

He did allow small life regeneration which is not really a nogoa run imo but he did add the dead world which complicates things a lot. He did say BBT optional but in real nogoa no bark tea, no health regen what so ever - only with stim and fully fed cheese tactic if you wish. Only food that he finds, carcass and fishing for him

I think this custom run is very interesting because it actually changes the game a lot; NOGOA is the hardest difficulty avaliable but after all, you need to use the same strategy and general interloper knowledges (Craft a bow, loot decent gear, etc) , the only twist is the lack of condition recovery.

In classic dead world, you can't even fish, so earlier or later you will run out of food and die. I change a bit the classic formula, allowing fishing with the minimal %, so i can have a 'decent' renewable food source. But guts are not renewable and not exactly easy to find.. and so carcasses and certain items.

The main goal of the run is achieve a long term survival in the worst conditions.

4 hours ago, Looper said:

Coastal highway seems like good base. Beach coming, coalmine for fishinghuts, loot of fishing

CH, BI, ML, TWM and maybe AC or the transition zone of blackrock are the only viable options for a long term base. But CH and BI have beachcombing, this is interesting because you can even find food sometimes.

After all, coastal highway is undeniably the best region in the game for long term survival in every run settings :)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

HRV: The Moose!

Sadly, not  🙁

6 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

TWM: The Summit, of course! Crackers aplenty, cattails, and a fishing hut on Crystal Lake.

One thing i have learned playing this run, it is not always taking risks for something that does not leave you a benefit greater than the resources invested on it. The summit itself have a loot of clothing and food, but i already need to use a lot of food and resources to reach the place. 

The summit seems better at early game, when you don't have decent clothing (Not my case at the moment). 

Also, blackrock is an interesting place because you have two wolf carcasses easy to gather (One at the cave from TWM, the other in the prison).

Update on my Run!

After a successful travel to broken railroad and most of forlorn muskeg, i decided to return to milton, then HRV.

This run is starting to get harder because some regions are now dead ends (For a example, i have only water in milton, not even one cattail left). I choose HRV next because i need to left most regions behind (No food or loot, no reason to stay here).

My main 'base' is at the moment ML, i have stored all my pelts, guts and resources on the camp office. ML is good because i can travel to most regions without much effort.

At HRV:

I wasn't too sure of what im gonna find here, but i know there is more than one wolf carcass, several deer ones and some caches with good clothing.

This region was one of my toughest experiences in the game, because i face blizzards EVERY DAY. Surviving here was incredible tricky, sometimes using unusual places to keep a fire going on to resist a blizzard.  I learned that you can use the bushs to block wind, this trick save my life once.

I spend 5 days exploring most of the region, facing blizzards, high winds and dense fog. I have only finded a single wolf carcass 🤩

Also, i reached the signal, only to find a Kg of moose meat 💔. The best loot was a ear wool wraps and a mackinaw jacket, pretty decent.

You can find rabbit pelts on a cave, but there is a chance to find them already ruined (I only find one fully cured)

Overall, i ended with almost 3-4 cattails left and good rewards like clothing and guts, but i don't have more food and only 40% condition left. Again at mystery lake, i need to find food again to think about my next move, likely being pleasant valley. 

Lastly, this game sometimes even keep surprising me on how beautifull can be during auroras, i left my Screenshots of HRV auroras :coffee:

3.png

1.png

2.png

4.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Glacia said:

Of course!  BBT is disabled on my run and i don't know exactly if snares work with rabbits disabled (Anyways, my self rules are against using snares).

I think this custom run is very interesting because it actually changes the game a lot; NOGOA is the hardest difficulty avaliable but after all, you need to use the same strategy and general interloper knowledges (Craft a bow, loot decent gear, etc) , the only twist is the lack of condition recovery.

In classic dead world, you can't even fish, so earlier or later you will run out of food and die. I change a bit the classic formula, allowing fishing with the minimal %, so i can have a 'decent' renewable food source. But guts are not renewable and not exactly easy to find.. and so carcasses and certain items.

The main goal of the run is achieve a long term survival in the worst conditions.

I dont know what is harder really tbh. I know i said that imo this is not a nogoa run but im thinking - the twist that you made with dead world makes it even harder than NOGOA itself. I mean in nogoa when you survive to the point you have clothing and tools you can survive for a loooong time almost indefinitely. On your run i dont think its possible. Thats a really tough challenge.

Im still a noob in nogoa - i mean i have  learned how to do it but only tried one run and failed. Im really looking forward to play NOGOA but i still have to finish my interloper challenge - getting hard to do this tho bcoz it still needs at least 2 months of play and im really getting bored with loper - it became too easy. Im thinking of pausing the 1200 loper challenge and do some NOGOA time.

Im really holding my thumbs for You on Your run. Keep us informed !

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 10:18 AM, James Hickok said:

That might be the case for NOGOA, but the OP's code 8sHM-/z8P-Dy9K-DXim-HUIA does allow birch tea crafting.

I'm just saying that in HIS challenge, birch bark is a renewable food source. Don't know if he just forgot to turn it off when generating the code.

-t

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2022 at 9:32 PM, turtle777 said:

That might be the case for NOGOA, but the OP's code 8sHM-/z8P-Dy9K-DXim-HUIA does allow birch tea crafting.

I'm just saying that in HIS challenge, birch bark is a renewable food source. Don't know if he just forgot to turn it off when generating the code.

Hello, actually i shared the code before trying the challenge. Some aspects are optional, the code have by default cabin fever disabled and BBT enabled, but i don't use on my run :)

Update on my run:

After being very busy with work and life.. i come back to my custom run.

However, i discovered that you can't endless survive on this settings, because even with fishing level 2, fishing it's incredibly inconsistent and insufficient. You can even fish for an entire day without a single bite 😭.

The challenge is funny if you keep traveling between regions, but it hits a dead end when you have already looted everything. MAYBE it's doable if you set fishing chance at better rates!

Anyways, i had a lot of fun with this one :coffee:

• Upvote 2

On 9/6/2022 at 5:47 AM, Glacia said:

Update on my run:

After being very busy with work and life.. i come back to my custom run.

However, i discovered that you can't endless survive on this settings, because even with fishing level 2, fishing it's incredibly inconsistent and insufficient. You can even fish for an entire day without a single bite 😭.

The challenge is funny if you keep traveling between regions, but it hits a dead end when you have already looted everything. MAYBE it's doable if you set fishing chance at better rates!

Anyways, i had a lot of fun with this one :coffee:

What day are You on?

• 1 month later...

After months im trying again this custom challenge, but with fishing set to Medium rather than Low (Other settings remain the same).

Even failing to achieve long-term survival, i really enjoyed my last run because of how different the game feels than the traditional gameplay; you travel around a empty and cold world foraging and searching for corpses and poor resources in a desperate attempt to survive.

Some notes:

- If rabbits are off, Snares effectively are useless too. You can craft and try to use but you are never gonna catch a rabbit.

- BBT is a semi-reliable renewable food source, because there are not a lot of them and every region have more or less. The best use for BBT is the condition recovery than the small 150 calories; i find this an optional but interesting feature because adds another task to do in late game in order to reach long-term survival.

- Fishing at medium sounds decent, but actually you need to level up as fast as you can;  fishing efficiently needs a lot of resources and time at lower levels. I mean the challenge is still incredible hard even with better fish %.

- New routes and regions are now viable thanks to the lack of predators (Im looking at you, blackrock).

• Upvote 2

Chapter 1:  The plane crash

Maybe the world wants me to spawn in Milton; i feel very lucky spawning at the plane crash, exactly the same spot of my old run (Like 1% or less maybe?).

The start looks promising, Milton is an incredible place to loot even on NOGOA settings. Also, a good amount of cattails and reishi/hips!

I looted the entire region (Except for the trailer and hidden cave, im gonna check it later, likely in my HRV trip), i found a really, really good clothing around the town, and even tools. With the region looted i can only move or start to harvest the numerous deer carcasses around the map, which seems the most logic option, but after learning a lot about deadworld gameplay, im changing my run goals.

Carcasses start to decay once you interact with them, you can let a carcass stay in the place indefinitely and go back to loot in a proper time. As long as i known, the materials don't decay in the carcass over time.

Understanding this is essential for the run, because there are a lot of important items with fast decay that they won't last for a lot, even 20 days is enough to lose items forever (Ear wraps are the best example). With this in mind, the best idea is do an usual interloper route (PV plane crash, TWM summit, Coastal highway, HRV, AC and basically every place with valuable and decaying loot).

The plan:

- Loot PV, CH, ML, TWM (Summit included), AC and if needed HRV (This one is optional because you are likely gonna have all the best clothing at this stage).

- Don't waste food or resources staying in a region for too long, im gonna keep moving fast before the temperature drops.

- Once i have everything i need like the best clothing, tools and materials; it's time to grind abilities and start a 'Carcass harvesting' trip around most if not all regions.

Also i discover that crafting animal clothing is not the best option, for several reasons:

* The difference between common clothing and deer cloth isn't noticeable, also deer hides are non-renewable earlier or later.  Also, the most important material in the run are the guts, you need them for fishing and guts are non-renewable on this gamemode. The only way to survive indefinitely is crafting hundreds of fishing tackles with all the guts harvested from carcasses, with fishing level 5 the broken chance is 1%.

* You waste a lot of time and resources.

* Maybe you want a wolfskin coat, you can only craft one with all the rare wolf carcasses around the world; however it's incredible tricky to do and like the deer cloth, is not renewable or repairable.

The best option is use the best avaliable normal clothing and avoid crafting any kind of animal clothing, you don't even need to harvest the skin from the carcass.

Next trip:  Mystery Lake

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Upvote 2