New affliction: LACERATION

Ghurcb

Okay, some of you have already caught me on a lie. There is already an affliction in The Long Dark called "laceration", but together with the "bruise" they don't work in the same way other afflictions do. So, all the other afflictions are, basically, debuffs that will harm you in some way until they are treated. Laceration and bruise, on the other hand, are... Just damage. That's it. You get into a wolf struggle, recieve the "laceration", your health goes down. But this can be greatly improved upon by... Remaking this affliction, turning it into something completely different.

I present to you LACERATION 2.0!

Now, when you get attacked by a wolf, or mauled by a bear, you can get an open wound, that you won't get rid of with just a bandage. Laceration appears alongside with bleeding and risk of infection, and itself does no harm to you. But once every hour it will affect you with bleeding and risk of infection. That means, until you stitch it, you will keep on bleeding, devastating your supplies of bandages and antiseptic.

In order to stitch the wound you would need to have a sewing kit and 30 min of spare time. You can also use a fishing tackle, but then the process will take 45 min. This might seem like too long, but in my opinion, it's just enough for this affliction not to have an immediate fix. After all, when you were attacked by a wolf, it would be a good idea to find a safe place to treat your wounds, instead of doing it out in the open.

What do you think about this suggestion? Would you change or add something? Let me know!

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I would have thought that an open wound would be an open invitation to the local wildlife?  And they wouldn't lose your scent if you tried to outpath them,so to speak.  I'm not saying it's a bad idea though.🙂  Just a thought.

Edited by Leeanda

7 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I would have thought that an open wound would be an open invitation to the local wildlife?  And they wouldn't lose your scent if you tried to outpath them,so to speak.  I'm not saying it's a bad idea though.🙂  Just a thought.

Well, bleeding already increases your scent. And stitching the laceration should take a lot of time, so the player will be discouraged from treating it immediately. 

I know it does to some extent..  but if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere it's going to make it a lot worse surely?  

I've just got images of Hansel and Gretel in my head,and that didn't end well if I remember correctly.  🙂 

Anything that would change the way of treating affliction in a more realistic yet dangerous, im in. The vanilla one is just plain simple, some are cured instantly while others require some time to heal, but it isn't really debilitating. The only affliction that really impacts and ,sometime, puts your sandbox into a risk of losing it is broken ribs.

I kind of wish HL would take an exaple of treating your wounds from project zomboid. 

• Upvote 4

• 5 weeks later...

Isn't there already an affliction like what you're describing? Blood loss happens during a wildlife attack, and you'll keep losing condition until you treat it with a bandage. There's an infection risk as well. Stitches would be more realistic though. Maybe it could be a secondary affliction to blood loss for really bad wounds? 

• Upvote 2

On 8/23/2022 at 6:32 AM, MattD said:

Maybe it could be a secondary affliction to blood loss for really bad wounds? 

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. When you get mauled by a bear (or sometimes in a wolf struggle) you'd recieve both laceration and blood loss. If you treat blood loss but not the laceration, in an hour you'd get a new "blood loss" affliction. That would continue until you stitch the wound.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ghurcb said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. When you get mauled by a bear (or sometimes in a wolf struggle) you'd recieve both laceration and blood loss. If you treat blood loss but not the laceration, in an hour you'd get a new "blood loss" affliction. That would continue until you stitch the wound.

Okay, I understand now. I think that's a good idea. It would make finding a sewing kit or crafting fishing tackle more useful than it already is. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 7:54 PM, Ghurcb said:

Okay, some of you have already caught me on a lie. There is already an affliction in The Long Dark called "laceration", but together with the "bruise" they don't work in the same way other afflictions do. So, all the other afflictions are, basically, debuffs that will harm you in some way until they are treated. Laceration and bruise, on the other hand, are... Just damage. That's it. You get into a wolf struggle, recieve the "laceration", your health goes down. But this can be greatly improved upon by... Remaking this affliction, turning it into something completely different.

I present to you LACERATION 2.0!

Now, when you get attacked by a wolf, or mauled by a bear, you can get an open wound, that you won't get rid of with just a bandage. Laceration appears alongside with bleeding and risk of infection, and itself does no harm to you. But once every hour it will affect you with bleeding and risk of infection. That means, until you stitch it, you will keep on bleeding, devastating your supplies of bandages and antiseptic.

In order to stitch the wound you would need to have a sewing kit and 30 min of spare time. You can also use a fishing tackle, but then the process will take 45 min. This might seem like too long, but in my opinion, it's just enough for this affliction not to have an immediate fix. After all, when you were attacked by a wolf, it would be a good idea to find a safe place to treat your wounds, instead of doing it out in the open.

What do you think about this suggestion? Would you change or add something? Let me know!

PLEASE DONT GİVE ME ZOMBOİD TRAUMA !

I have always found it weird that a literal laceration takes away some health but doesn't cause you to bleed. But blood loss is it's own affliction. It would make more sense for blood loss to be the result of lacerations rather than adding laceration as an affliction entirely. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Fuarian said:

I have always found it weird that a literal laceration takes away some health but doesn't cause you to bleed. But blood loss is it's own affliction. It would make more sense for blood loss to be the result of lacerations rather than adding laceration as an affliction entirely. 

I think that "Laceration" affliction would represent a cut so bad that you will bleed out if you dont stitch it. It should still be possible to get bleeding alone if the cut can just be bandaged and healed on its own. You'd probably get a laceration (or two) after a bear mauling, and there would also be a 10% chance that you'll get one when fighting a wolf.