TLDs version of The Overlook Hotel (The Shining)

adventurehawkins

Okay gang…hear me out.

I know Great Bear didn’t have tourism but…

What if there was a region that had a run down hotel similar to the one in The Shining?? Full blown hotel kitchen, dining hall, 3-4 floors, etc.

I imagine it would be big but not overwhelmingly. Some parts of the hotel are blocked off from caved in ceilings so it turns into a bit of a maze to get around in some spots. Maybe a couple of wolves that wandered in can be found on a certain floor with good loot.

Ultimately the idea is that it would be terrifying to walk through in the sense that it would FEEL haunted. Electricity wouldn’t work obviously but during the aurora the long halls would flicker with light making it even more eerie. Maybe the occasional phones would ring?

I just think it would add a creepy element and a fun maze to explore. Plenty of beds to sleep in. Maybe there could even be a hidden key that opens to a presidential suite that has a balcony revealing a gorgeous view of the region.

You could even make it difficult to get to by having the only entrance to the hotel be through a topiary maze similar to the one in the Shining. I just think this would be amazing

F855AC29-FF62-48BD-B8E4-BCEC1191AAB6.jpeg

DA32E9A7-5D64-432E-AEBA-639B17B3D3EF.jpeg

EF33E004-F510-45A4-9EEC-16381E27D2BE.jpeg

Edited by adventurehawkins
Accidentally tagging
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 12:30 AM, Kranium said:

This would be perfect as part of a ski resort region.

I know! It will probably never happen as I know Great Bear wasn’t about tourism…but what if it was on the outskirts and Great Bear didn’t want to associate themselves with that region. Idk lol

On 7/15/2022 at 12:27 PM, Leeanda said:

Good idea. Haven't seen that film but it reminded me of one of the missions in far cry 5 I think?🤔. There's always a bear there too. Which can and does get inside!🙂

Oh you must see it. Easily one of my top favorite horror movies of all time! The vibe that the movie has during the blizzard is spot on with the game. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, adventurehawkins said:

Oh you must see it. Easily one of my top favorite horror movies of all time! The vibe that the movie has during the blizzard is spot on with the game. 

I grew up watching horror films so they kind of lost that scare factor for me..  plus if I'm honest I'm not a fan of jack Nicholson. .

I could just watch that bit of it though,I'm sure it's on ytube.

1 hour ago, adventurehawkins said:

My younger siblings are terrified every single time when the creepy twins say:
”Play with us... forever.”

• Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

I like the idea of such a setting, as it would fit thematically. While TLD isn't a horror game by any means, there is this lingering element of unease about the unknown, and this would very much fit this overall concept. Plus I guess we've seen that having a big central and rich location in a region isn't a bad thing. Blackrock has demonstrated this quite impressively. And you could play all kinds of tricks in such a location to make it a really interesting experience.

8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I grew up watching horror films so they kind of lost that scare factor for me..  plus if I'm honest I'm not a fan of jack Nicholson. .

Hu. Waddayaknow. I never liked him that much, either. I mean he has some impressive face musculature, but in the end Jack Nicholson is always playing a slight variation of Jack Nicholson. Plus .... yeah, I can relate about losing the scare factor. The only thing that really scares me today is an Adam Sandler movie.

Just now, jeffpeng said:

I like the idea of such a setting, as it would fit thematically. While TLD isn't a horror game by any means, there is this lingering element of unease about the unknown, and this would very much fit this overall concept. Plus I guess we've seen that having a big central and rich location in a region isn't a bad thing. Blackrock has demonstrated this quite impressively. And you could play all kinds of tricks in such a location to make it a really interesting experience.

Hu. Waddayaknow. I never liked him that much, either. I mean he has some impressive face musculature, but in the end Jack Nicholson is always playing a slight variation of Jack Nicholson. Plus .... yeah, I can relate about losing the scare factor. The only thing that really scares me today is an Adam Sandler movie.

I think the only film I've watched with jack in was Batman.  One was enough.   I forgot about Adam Sandler😁

• Upvote 1