Hiking & Camping Survival

In my case and due to the natural environment of the region where I live, it would be quite easy to find help, people, civilization, ...
I usually go hiking and it is difficult not to cross people along the way. In the event that I found myself lost in the middle of the unknown and immensity of the forest, I doubt that I could even light a fire unless I could order a preper backpack from Amazon

• Like 1

@RonaldSPatterson

Greetings from the land of Dixie!

If I were to get lost in the woods, I would probably be well prepared. (Do you know anyone who packs a recycled can, hatchet, knife, firestriker, and tinder plug for a stroll in the park? That’s me.)
With these tools, an illustrated copy of BushCraft 101, and my trusty Improvised Knife,6A45FD9B-BC4D-4F12-B5A9-F06795F5C065.thumb.jpeg.83daf649b543a23ea3615e9abf7e9e24.jpegI could probably survive until some hikers stumbled across me.

EDIT: And yes, that is indeed a sock on the table.

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 1

@conanjaguar Awesome sock :D And knife too, of course

I think I’d pretty much just be a goner. I’ve gone camping several times but it’s pretty difficult to get actually lost in England, since it isn’t a particularly wild country, so I would have no idea on what to do and would likely die very quickly

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

@conanjaguar Awesome sock :D And knife too, of course

I think I’d pretty much just be a goner. I’ve gone camping several times but it’s pretty difficult to get actually lost in England, since it isn’t a particularly wild country, so I would have no idea on what to do and would likely die very quickly

Take my advice, and always carry

On 7/12/2022 at 3:37 PM, conanjaguar said:

a recycled can, hatchet, knife, firestriker, and tinder plug

wherever you go. And... always pick up the sticks.

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'm sure @Catlover is aware of it . And she doesn't strike me as the sort to carry a hatchet around😁

Perhaps not ALL the time then. But when there is thick underbrush blocking the path (the case so often at our backcountry waterfall trails) then a hatchet or machete comes in very handy.

7 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Perhaps not ALL the time then. But when there is thick underbrush blocking the path (the case so often at our backcountry waterfall trails) then a hatchet or machete comes in very handy.

Please don't take that the wrong way.  I just meant that she personally doesn't seem like that type of person.  

Actually though I can't remember ever seeing hatchet or axe in any store over here.  There doesn't seem much call for them.  A lot of the countryside is owned by the government and they are responsible for it's upkeep.   Chainsaws are pretty widely used if needed.

Edited by Leeanda

@Leeanda

No offense taken.
Chainsaws do work well, but they are heavy, unwieldy, and noisy. If I suddenly found myself teleported across the ocean and made Prime Minister, then I would go with hatchets.

And, @Catlover, probably just a box of matches, extra socks, and a compass is all you need. No need to go overboard when... there is no need to go overboard.

1 minute ago, conanjaguar said:

@Leeanda

No offense taken.
Chainsaws do work well, but they are heavy, unwieldy, and noisy. If I suddenly found myself teleported across the ocean and made Prime Minister, then I would go with hatchets.

And, @Catlover, probably just a box of matches, extra socks, and a compass is all you need. No need to go overboard when... there is no need to go overboard.

Glad to hear it🙂

Actually we're in the middle of finding a new prime minister at the moment.   Any available flights from there?😁

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Any available flights from there?😁

Unfortunately, no. Covid restrictions and all that. However, I will be able to wax eloquent on the benefits of “survival packing” in about a month or so, when we head on vacation.

I was kidding. I get the impression you're way too young to be prime minister.  🙂.   The usual ones are nearing pension age.

I'm sure you're advice would be useful on here as well. There's quite a few who've asked for tips before.

Edited by Leeanda

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

I get the impression you're way too young to be prime minister.  🙂.  

Yep. I just turned 14 this year, so unless the eligible age to become PM is drastically lowered, that won’t happen. Besides, if your laws over there are anything like ours, then i would have to be a British citizen for a few years, correct?

Again, just kidding. Great power is not my ambition, just a cabin in the northern wilderness where i can occasionally hear real wolves howling, in stead of the mongrel coyotes we have don here in Dixie.

4 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Yep. I just turned 14 this year, so unless the eligible age to become PM is drastically lowered, that won’t happen. Besides, if your laws over there are anything like ours, then i would have to be a British citizen for a few years, correct?

Again, just kidding. Great power is not my ambition, just a cabin in the northern wilderness where i can occasionally hear real wolves howling, in stead of the mongrel coyotes we have don here in Dixie.

Oh, my! It seems that my clumsy fingers have made several punctuation and spelling errors here. I miss my morning coffee...

And perhaps we should take this chat to the Personal Messenger, to avoid cluttering an otherwise fine topic?

Edited by conanjaguar

14 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

@Leeanda

Yep true, thank you for the tips! Unfortunately I can't carry around a hatchet unless I fancy winding up in jail, plus I'm not too sure if I'm old enough to wield one just yet.

Seems like you've had your fair share of wild adventures, sounds like you know a lot :)

• Upvote 1