What next for Hinterland?

conanjaguar

5 hours ago, Pillock said:

I read novel a while back called "Out in the Open" by Jesus Carrasco. It's about a young lad who goes on the run from his village in central Spain (early 20th century-ish?), and is constantly being chased down by the evil local magistrate/sheriff. The setting is kind like an antithesis to The Long Dark's: hot, dry, arid plains. The kid has to survive by staying cool rather than warm, water is difficult to come by, food is scarce; and he has to keep moving on while staying out of the way of civilization, in order to avoid the lawman. He finds a donkey, which helps him carry stuff. And he acquires a goat, which provides him with small amounts of milk (as well as bruises when it's not in the right mood to be milked!). Both need to be fed, watered, rested and kept cool as well (or eaten?), posing him dilemmas.

It's very bleak, as a story. But while reading it I was constantly thinking of TLD, and how the book's premise would be a good basis for a similar game. I mean, I'd love to take Hinterland's advice and make it myself, but that'd be a bit like asking me to build myself a new car from scratch! Here's hoping the idea finds its way somehow to someone with the capability to do it, I guess.

Another solid concept here. I don’t recall ever seeing a desert survival game on the market. Iced tea, anyone?

4 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

@Valuable Hunting Knife

One could put another spin on your concept by having it be a survey team going to explore a new planet. That would be interesting; it would literally be an open world in the truest sense of the term, perhaps with randomly generated environments?

You've basically just described No Man's Sky.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

You've basically just described No Man's Sky.

Oops. My bad; I had no clue that such a game even existed!

7 hours ago, Leeanda said:

How about something along the lines of Journey to the center of the earth.   ?

This could be fun. I don’t exactly recall the book, but it would be lakes of lava, dinosaurs, and (I think) ape men? It could be a fun mix of Victorian and primitive technology.

Just now, conanjaguar said:

Oops. My bad; I had no clue that such a game even existed!

This could be fun. I don’t exactly recall the book, but it would be lakes of lava, dinosaurs, and (I think) ape men? It could be a fun mix of Victorian and primitive technology.

Can't remember ape men either.  Giant mushrooms and the dinosaurs yes..  surprised there aren't that many films  to be honest.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

As those of you who read my new thread https://hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/42044-my-trip-to-north-carolina/ know, I have recently been in the Appalachian (maybe?) Mountains of North Carolina. I was, and have always been, struck with the solitude and quiet beauty of the wilderness.420D4E29-6F3B-449F-8EE9-786626EA3271.thumb.jpeg.462aee35df33172467c6c2e318da0959.jpegD20A20CB-FDD6-4086-9EB8-103E595EAF15.thumb.jpeg.cd4f5231afff7bc7fd9fac7e97302d92.jpeg

This shot, especially, has that TLD “feel”:DAF5B38D-08C1-4C81-9595-57E26740F87B.thumb.jpeg.4fc2d5f8d32ab61ac78caac90bac5ce7.jpegMinus the people, of course.

I would personally love to see Hinterland’s take on this setting. I might even take their advice and do it myself!

• Upvote 1