My 1200+ days Interloper challenge

James Hickok

Just now, ChillPlayer said:

Dang seems my game is bugged - the counter for days spend in blackrock just stopped increasing, I must be beyond day 25 but it still shows day 17. The total days survived counter does increase, the days just don't count towards blackrock. Anyone else experienced this? That's a real bummer, I don't know yet how or if this can be fixed.

I have noticed that the days are inconsistent when at blackrock. They only seem to count when I'm not in the prison itself.  

18 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I have noticed that the days are inconsistent when at blackrock. They only seem to count when I'm not in the prison itself.  

I feared as much, I'll look for a different base and see if they start increasing again. Any tips? Bricklayer's would be an obvious choice but there's no cave nearby to ward-off cabin feaver. I think I'll settle in the cave near the frozen lake outside the prison, if luck will have it I might get a moose to spawn too.

23 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

I feared as much, I'll look for a different base and see if they start increasing again. Any tips? Bricklayer's would be an obvious choice but there's no cave nearby to ward-off cabin feaver. I think I'll settle in the cave near the frozen lake outside the prison, if luck will have it I might get a moose to spawn too.

I'm honestly not over familiar with black rock,at least cave wise. I have spent several nights in the  crashed lorry though.. never seen wolves there but I'm on pilgrim .  The boxes offer quite a lot of wind protection so the fire should keep going for as long as you need.  

Sorry I can't be more help. 

Good luck.  

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Good luck.  

First off I can confirm that days spend outside the prison do count but not inside the prison - I think this is a bug, I've reported it.

The Cave on the lake was no luck, no moose or any other big game in the vicinity. So I went to Cook's Farm and there were 4 deers waiting for me. The farm itself is not ideal because you need a constant fire and there's little firewood but one can make it to Cutty's Cave while carrying meat without crossing paths with any predators and there's lots of firewood. Guess that's my base for the next few weeks.

Just now, ChillPlayer said:

First off I can confirm that days spend outside the prison do count but not inside the prison - I think this is a bug, I've reported it.

The Cave on the lake was no luck, no moose or any other big game in the vicinity. So I went to Cook's Farm and there were 4 deers waiting for me. The farm itself is not ideal because you need a constant fire and there's little firewood but one can make it to Cutty's Cave while carrying meat without crossing paths with any predators and there's lots of firewood. Guess that's my base for the next few weeks.

It's good to know I'm not the only one .. no one else has commented on it as far as I know. So it may indeed be a bug.  I don't really look at those pages very often but I was stuck inside for quite a while with nothing to do..  

I'm glad you found somewhere suitable to make camp.🙂 It's a shame about cooks farm though,it's quite handy for quick prison visits. 

On 9/14/2022 at 10:41 PM, ChillPlayer said:

one can make it to Cutty's Cave while carrying meat without crossing paths with any predators and there's lots of firewood. Guess that's my base for the next few weeks.

That is actually not true as I found out later, when I left the cave there was a pack of Timberwolves near the cars on the road. They were a blessing in disguise though, there's a nearby cliff which they can't reach and it was easy enough to kill them all for ~30kg of meat. Another pack jumped me while I was walking through a blizzard from the farm to Cutty's Cave, carrying raw meat and I had to scare them off with some noise makers and also drop the meat. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the meat the next day.

But I found another pack near Foreman's clearcut and managed to get 4 out of 5 from them. The funny thing is, even a week after I killed the last wolf, when one of the remaining Timberwolves sees me from like 100m away, it runs away quickly as hell, even when I have raw meat packed on me. Guess I've become the Apex Predator now :D

Cutty's Cave has another surprisingly handy feature which makes it one of the best places to stay in all TLD, for sure in Blackrock where the weather is always harsh and you start freezing after 20-30 minutes out in the cold. Firewood does not respawn as quickly as I'd like and I have to take longer hikes to get wood and/or harvest animals without a fire, meaning my condition often drops to 50% or lower. But thanks to the rope nearby that's hardly an issue. One, two climbs and I am completely exhausted, able to sleep for 12h straight and almost completely regain my lost condition. This rope prolongs the time I can stay outside without warming up by a huge amount, it's a true gamechanger.

Day 42, 58 more to go ;)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 7:20 PM, ChillPlayer said:

Hey im back from my Vacation in Portugal happy to progress my run.

I actually find going from Bricklayers to Bear cave pretty fast and easy. Sure there is a chance to aggro the wolf pack there but i tend to kill em every time they start to respawn same with the pack near the foremans cut cabin.

My moose was near the bricklayers cabin and the deer were also there. Now they respawn in other places near the pond.

Bricklayers is my main base now. Prison is my crafting/ repairing spot now.

On 9/17/2022 at 2:57 PM, ChillPlayer said:

Day 42, 58 more to go ;)

We're on the same day :)

I almost got killed yesterday when i logged in first time in 2 weeks - i decided to explore the west part of the map and got ambushed by Timberwolves near foragers remnant and when i tried to find a spot to kill em they did bite me a few times and i had 2 bloodloss and agrroed the damn bear as well. If it werent for stim that allowed me to run to power plant i would be a goner on day 900 of my trip. when i entrered plant i had 4 % health. Happy to live :D Going to fix some stuff in proson then back to Bricklayers - i really like this spot. A lot of wood, good place to kill wolves without harm, and bear cave with bear meat in it for cabin fever. I also managed to gather respawning coal from the transition cave. I've managed to eplore 100% of the Bloackrock map. Today ill take a trip to mine for some more coal and gater the remaining cattails :)

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

Well, why you were bathing in the sun I endured blizzards and Timberwolves for over 100 days in Blackrock and I'm finished with that region now :D

I've ended up going back and worth between Cutty's, the Bear Cave and the Prison, where I've got a bear spawn around day 70. After I've cleared all the wolves around the prison I moved to the cave at the frozen river lake/river below the the prison and spend some days there. All in all it was quite easy to survive the 100 days in BRM once I've put some fear into the Timberwolves, I found that most packs spawn in areas where you can drop down to a ledge where they can't reach you and then they are easy prey.

But now I'm on day 29 in PV and that is a completely different story. I transitioned via TWM and was hoping for a bear spawn near burned ridge, but there was none for days. So I traversed to the farmhouse and there was a bear which I shot and conveniently died near his cave, Jackpot! Or so I thought - I harvested a single piece of meat and went back inside the farmhouse because a blizzard was forming, when I came back the next day, the whole bear carcass was gone, only the piece of meat was left 🤐

I was quite frustrated to run into this bug again. Before killing the bear I've also killed a deer near the farmhouse, harvested a piece of meat and the carcass was still there (but I couldn't click on it, another bug), I don't know why the bear vanished.

A few RL days later I decided to continue and went to Pensive Pont, hoping to find another bear either near the climbing spot on the way there or near the transition cave to ML. But there was none, I've spend almost a week in that area but no bear, so I went back to the farmhouse and then to Draft Dodgers, hoping to get the bear which is patroling the area around the barn. And there it was! So I dropped down to a ledge, lured it to me and made an almost perfect head shot - unfortunately teddy learned to climb and he could reach me on the ledge on which I thought I was safe from him. I managed to get off another arrow before he began mauling me, thankfully I had still the bullet veste on and survived the attack with 30% condition left. When I was recovering I already heared the bear dying a few steps further, near Lonely Homestead. Still painfully rememebring the vanishing bear at the farmhouse, I immediately made a fire and began harvesting while cooking delicious bear steaks. What followed next was the second near death experience on that day.

While I was cooking the 2nd batch of steaks, the weather turned from bright and sunny-ish straight into a blizzard from hell. So I ran to the bear cave only to discover that it is not a real (warm) cave and continued running to Draft Dodgers'. I missed the spot where I usually go up from the river and had to find my way along the cliffside untilI I could get into the woods where the cabin is. Which was not easy to find from that side with the blizzard still going on. My condition already dropped below 10% and I was veering from side to side while trying to find the cabin, eventually I found it but it seemed almost out of reach, my condition was dropping fast and I couldn't walk straight anymore. Eventually I managed to get inside with 2% condition left, that was a real close call.

And that's were I am now, I've recovered some condition, harvested all of the bear meat but most is still uncooked because it's next to impossible to keep a fire going on for more than two hours without another blizzard or strong winds. Once I'm through with that I'll probably commute between Draft Dodgers and burned ridge cave until I'm out of bear. But if someone asked me if I'd prefer staying with the Timberwolves in BRM or with blizzards in PV, I'd choose BRM any day.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Hey im back from my Vacation in Portugal happy to progress my run.

I actually find going from Bricklayers to Bear cave pretty fast and easy. Sure there is a chance to aggro the wolf pack there but i tend to kill em every time they start to respawn same with the pack near the foremans cut cabin.

My moose was near the bricklayers cabin and the deer were also there. Now they respawn in other places near the pond.

Bricklayers is my main base now. Prison is my crafting/ repairing spot now.

I almost got killed yesterday when i logged in first time in 2 weeks - i decided to explore the west part of the map and got ambushed by Timberwolves near foragers remnant and when i tried to find a spot to kill em they did bite me a few times and i had 2 bloodloss and agrroed the damn bear as well. If it werent for stim that allowed me to run to power plant i would be a goner on day 900 of my trip. when i entrered plant i had 4 % health. Happy to live :D Going to fix some stuff in proson then back to Bricklayers - i really like this spot. A lot of wood, good place to kill wolves without harm, and bear cave with bear meat in it for cabin fever. I also managed to gather respawning coal from the transition cave. I've managed to eplore 100% of the Bloackrock map. Today ill take a trip to mine for some more coal and gater the remaining cattails :)

3 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

Well, why you were bathing in the sun I endured blizzards and Timberwolves for over 100 days in Blackrock and I'm finished with that region now :D

I've ended up going back and worth between Cutty's, the Bear Cave and the Prison, where I've got a bear spawn around day 70. After I've cleared all the wolves around the prison I moved to the cave at the frozen river lake/river below the the prison and spend some days there. All in all it was quite easy to survive the 100 days in BRM once I've put some fear into the Timberwolves, I found that most packs spawn in areas where you can drop down to a ledge where they can't reach you and then they are easy prey.

But now I'm on day 29 in PV and that is a completely different story. I transitioned via TWM and was hoping for a bear spawn near burned ridge, but there was none for days. So I traversed to the farmhouse and there was a bear which I shot and conveniently died near his cave, Jackpot! Or so I thought - I harvested a single piece of meat and went back inside the farmhouse because a blizzard was forming, when I came back the next day, the whole bear carcass was gone, only the piece of meat was left 🤐

I was quite frustrated to run into this bug again. Before killing the bear I've also killed a deer near the farmhouse, harvested a piece of meat and the carcass was still there (but I couldn't click on it, another bug), I don't know why the bear vanished.

A few RL days later I decided to continue and went to Pensive Pont, hoping to find another bear either near the climbing spot on the way there or near the transition cave to ML. But there was none, I've spend almost a week in that area but no bear, so I went back to the farmhouse and then to Draft Dodgers, hoping to get the bear which is patroling the area around the barn. And there it was! So I dropped down to a ledge, lured it to me and made an almost perfect head shot - unfortunately teddy learned to climb and he could reach me on the ledge on which I thought I was safe from him. I managed to get off another arrow before he began mauling me, thankfully I had still the bullet veste on and survived the attack with 30% condition left. When I was recovering I already heared the bear dying a few steps further, near Lonely Homestead. Still painfully rememebring the vanishing bear at the farmhouse, I immediately made a fire and began harvesting while cooking delicious bear steaks. What followed next was the second near death experience on that day.

While I was cooking the 2nd batch of steaks, the weather turned from bright and sunny-ish straight into a blizzard from hell. So I ran to the bear cave only to discover that it is not a real (warm) cave and continued running to Draft Dodgers'. I missed the spot where I usually go up from the river and had to find my way along the cliffside untilI I could get into the woods where the cabin is. Which was not easy to find from that side with the blizzard still going on. My condition already dropped below 10% and I was veering from side to side while trying to find the cabin, eventually I found it but it seemed almost out of reach, my condition was dropping fast and I couldn't walk straight anymore. Eventually I managed to get inside with 2% condition left, that was a real close call.

And that's were I am now, I've recovered some condition, harvested all of the bear meat but most is still uncooked because it's next to impossible to keep a fire going on for more than two hours without another blizzard or strong winds. Once I'm through with that I'll probably commute between Draft Dodgers and burned ridge cave until I'm out of bear. But if someone asked me if I'd prefer staying with the Timberwolves in BRM or with blizzards in PV, I'd choose BRM any day.

Okay, you two should really play multiplayer...

• Upvote 2

On 9/30/2022 at 11:42 AM, ChillPlayer said:

All in all it was quite easy to survive the 100 days in BRM once I've put some fear into the Timberwolves, I found that most packs spawn in areas where you can drop down to a ledge where they can't reach you and then they are easy prey.

I have the same experience. I crowd controll wolf packs not allowing them to fully respawn. If they do however i just lure em to places like bridges, or bricklayers or just where i have the higher ground. They even easier to hit than normal wolves bcoza they are bigger.  Im on day 60 atm and have loads of wolf meat lying in named spots.

I harvested a single piece of meat and went back inside the farmhouse because a blizzard was forming, when I came back the next day, the whole bear carcass was gone, only the piece of meat was left 🤐

Yeah that tend to happen more often in PV bcoz of many blizzards and long ones. I mostly quarter bear and moose in PV. Saved a few carcases this way.

If you can manage to kill the bear close to farmstead or bring the meat with you you can use the barrel outside to cook food even in blizzard without taking the fire out.

Another way is just to cook in caves and the fire should be in the cold part of the cave for it to have to bonus.

Anyway PV is harsh and i also had moments when i was harvesting meat and boom, blizzard hits. Take care out there !!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, James Hickok said:

If you can manage to kill the bear close to farmstead or bring the meat with you you can use the barrel outside to cook food even in blizzard without taking the fire out.

ehm, w00t??? I've spend hundreds of ingame days at the farmstead since PV got released across different playthroughs but I never noticed that fire barrel there - big lol. I think they added it in an update after the initial release and I never bothered to check that place again. Or... the longer I think about it, some dark memory burried deep inside my brain resurfaces of me using it before. Seems I simply forgot about it, dang.

Thanks mate, this helps alot! Only 15 days left for me in this godforsaken place and I can finally go on vaccation in CH ;)

• Upvote 1

I made it, I'm out of PV 🥳

In the end I've spent more time there because as luck would have it, on day 96 a bear visited me by the farm. My bear coat was already down to 75% so naturally I had to get him. But darn does it take a long time to cure the hide, to speed up the process I had the glorious idea to get myself hypothermia so I can sleep for a full 12h - but the genius of mine didn't think about getting naked first, which I only noticed after I've did this 2-3 times. Long story short, in the end all my outer clothing was at or below 50%, bear coat down to 38 😕

On day 111 I could finally leave the farm, spent a night at the townhall and then finally, back home in Jackrabbit's. And to show me how much this place missed me, 3 deer were waiting down by the fishing hut for me. Note the passed tense, they are sleeping now forever and I can fix my deer pants and boots :D

That's a bit the downside of this challenge, after spending so much time on a single map I don't feel like I ever want to get back there, certainly not to PV. I hope that by the time I've finished the challenge, the new payed content has been released.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

I made it, I'm out of PV 🥳

In the end I've spent more time there because as luck would have it, on day 96 a bear visited me by the farm. My bear coat was already down to 75% so naturally I had to get him. But darn does it take a long time to cure the hide, to speed up the process I had the glorious idea to get myself hypothermia so I can sleep for a full 12h - but the genius of mine didn't think about getting naked first, which I only noticed after I've did this 2-3 times. Long story short, in the end all my outer clothing was at or below 50%, bear coat down to 38 😕

On day 111 I could finally leave the farm, spent a night at the townhall and then finally, back home in Jackrabbit's. And to show me how much this place missed me, 3 deer were waiting down by the fishing hut for me. Note the passed tense, they are sleeping now forever and I can fix my deer pants and boots :D

That's a bit the downside of this challenge, after spending so much time on a single map I don't feel like I ever want to get back there, certainly not to PV. I hope that by the time I've finished the challenge, the new payed content has been released.

Good to hear Your progress :) PV can be a pain - On my 100 days i struggled for the first 40 bcoz of constant -60 degrees blizzards that prevented me from moving. Good thing that wolves near farmstead spawn fast. Sorry for the clothing - good that you didnt ruin the world drop ones - cant be replaced if you havent got spare ( i keep a wool took and thermal underwear spare in  this run).

Coastal Highway - My best region, my main base how i miss you :) I've spent so much time in other regions. Coastal was my first in 100 days list. Im really looking forward to getting back. Jackrabbit is my base as well.

I still have 30 days to go in Blackrock ( have to stabilize work situation after vacation and after that i will have more time to play). When i finish Blackrock i will have only 3 regions left to complete : HRV, Ash Canyon and Desolation then back to my home at jackrabbit.   Hoping for new content when i finish the challenge.

Keep on surviving survivor !

• Upvote 1

Time for an update !

Yesterday i managed to finish Blackrock region - staying here for 100 days without leaving.

I got to say Blackrock nearly killed me twice. The first time like i mentioned in post above i got ambushed on the west part of the map by a pack of timberwolves in the open space whic isnt good. I have run around kiting them and trying to shoot them but unfortunatelly i got bit to many times and 2x blodloss started to drain what was left of my life. In the process of running i agroed the bear that roams south west part of the map and that was really stupid of me. I was lucky that i had 3x bandage and 1x stim which saved my life allowing me to run to the power plant and sleep there with 4 % health.

The 2nd time on day 88 of my stay i was sure i was a goner - it was a miracle i survived. I have made several mistakes before it happened:

1. I didnt craft bandages after previous fight with wolves and i didnt have any cloth on me - i knew i should do it but was lazy/forgot at the time.

2. The small mountain i chose to deal with the wolf pack was actually easy to climb from the back side of it - i didnt check that.

3. I forgot i didnt have any more stims on me - all in base in CH

So i saw a wolf pack comming towards me somwhere between cliff bear cave and Cooks farm and i chose the wrong place to kill em. Happy that i will pick them up easy i waited for them to come closer and aggro me. What a mistake that was !!! To my suprise the wolves climbed the hill easily and surrounded me, started to tear me apart. For a few secs i was shooting at them but all my shots missed bcoz of the panic. When i got 2nd blood loss and my HP was ~20% i realised im doomed. I only had one bandage and no cloth to craft another, i didnt have any stim to use and run. In panic i used the only bandage i had and realised im still loosing blood fast from that one blodloss that remained andi was cold. Even if i had the cloth i couldnt make a bandage surrounded by wolves. I popped blue flare and started to run as fast as i could to the Foremans clearcut cabin ( i knew it was the closest interior i was thanks to knowing the map really good and only interior will save you in that situation) turning around and keeping wolves at bay while i did it. The health was dropping fast. I saw the cabin close to me and realised that even if i enter it i dont have cloth to make the bandage. It came to me that the only way i could do it is enter, tear a piece of clothing i wear apart, make bandage and try to heal asap. It felt impossible - the health was too low. I knew i have one wool toque and one thermal underwera spare in coastal highway map so i those are the items i could break and replace after. I have managed to get inside somehow without getting bit (one more bite would end me) and as fast as i could (my heart was pounding) i opened inventory and looked at breaking times - thermal underwear 20 mins, wool touqe 10 mins. Chose the hat and clicked to harvest. While i did that my health was dropping fast and the blurred animation and sound hit. Fastest i could but very nervous i did a bandage. Success ! still living somehow but barely. I was so nervous that i misclicked and chose drink tea instead bandaging mysefl - interrupted the tea and chose bandage............ those few secs lasted like a lifetime, the screen went black and the bandaging animation finished with succes msg !!!! YES !!!! IM still alive !!! I was so shocked and happy my body was shaking. I realised what happened and took a video. I was so nervous when i fought for life that was the only video i took of the situation. That was the scariest and closest to death situation i had on my whole run. So happy to live and carry on.

Here is the video:

Apart from the timberwolf situation that i provoked Blackrock is easy to live and prosper. Sure there is a  blizzard almost every day but it lasts few hours, mostly 4 and is not that cold and after playing for so long You just know that its going to hit soon and have time to hide.

10_10.2022_08-37-46-q0ertfrp.thumb.png.c21d7fa69f6369918db72c1fcb657ef7.png10_10.2022_08-37-47-qjdaf1ff.thumb.png.232985879ccbd226cd27265c6cf7ebbc.png

The evenings are mostly warm with temps (in 2x bear coats) from -8 to even +1 so its easy to traverse the map and gather wood from limbs. You can chop 3 limbs down without getting cold so its really nice. The wood is soo planty as well and you dont have to preserve the tools so much bcoz you can repair them in aurora.

Food is plenty. Deer packs, moose, 2 bears ( i didnt have the prison bear) and places for snares just outside bricklayers which i chose for my main base after i opened the worlshop in prison. No fishing spot tho - sad :(

10_10.2022_08-37-43-3zlfmgoz.thumb.png.8e4187feddee822f463f0c82ebc7b62c.png

There are a lot of shortcuts and ways to move around the map with minimum risk of aggroing the wolves. There are many places as well where even if aggroed you can run to that spot and take care of the wolves without harm - hanging bridges, hills, fallen trees, bricklayers "porch" and so on. Ckeck the hills proper before aggroing !!! :P Bridges are safest.

10_10.2022_08-37-51-gcp1frdh.thumb.png.fb4b6b92750e79f2ef56de64b252644f.png10_10.2022_08-37-55-cbjago2s.thumb.png.84c219dd54894ae6a52308d1c220327f.png10_10.2022_08-37-44-srn2xeda.thumb.png.34759ea6451319033833d250f5bd6c5e.png

Over my 100 days in Blackrock i visited every named location and every corner of the map, gathered a lot of resources and set every "base" loaded with food, water, fire fuel. Went to 3 trips to Mine for coal and brought back the coal to prison and to bricklayers. Every place on the map that you can rest either is a closed one or cave or just a barn  i left food and fueal so if i ever come back the area is secured. i killed my time moving from one place to another killing timberwolves and gathering meat. repairing tools in aurora. I really missed fishing tho.  I dont know if i come back soon - i really didnt like the place and the fact i almostr died here two times which is funny bcoz the map isnt that hard. Bleak inlet is hardest imo hands down.

10_10.2022_08-37-45-0ubjkypk.thumb.png.25243c32690b1e3a0549bc43fa5713d8.png10_10.2022_08-37-48-lob3zcyf.thumb.png.5c126c2b658e625cbdeb5a79272683b9.png

When finally 100 days hit i packed up to the max and left to my main base in Coastal highway to collect spare wool hat that i lost (that saved my life !). When i was leaving i runned to prison to take the damn bullet proof vest and take it to main base in CH. I made some final pictures.

10_10.2022_08-37-40-lkb351nk.thumb.png.17297cd9497b7c7bbb5abf601a54a896.png

i got back to bricklayers for the last time, hid cured hides in closet, eat food and left the area. When i was leaving i took a final shot of my main base in BLCKRCK whick i left loaded with guts, hides, fuel and food. maybe we meet again in future. The snow was falling more and more bu the minute.

10_10.2022_08-37-33-vsnmvir0.thumb.png.be2d0b5fb967886a53ea000e96d4b0e0.png10_10.2022_08-37-31-2ze4kq4u.thumb.png.6f7bb55860f6e0c2c6d5d3073b8f5669.png

When i got back to Coastal Highway i decided i  need cloth for the remaining regions (hrv has hardly any except the clothing u find and Ash canyon similar. Same with Desolation). I went to a trip to Milton Town and harvested every cloth that was left. Got around 60 of it and went back to CH. managed my inventory, packed up and went to Ash Canyon for  another 100 days adventure !

Currently setting my small base i Anglers Den day 2nd.

Take care survivors !!!!

10.10.2022_08-37-32-qa3wi05q.png

Edited by James Hickok
  • Upvote 3

Guest jeffpeng

Quite impressive run. "Nice" to see that you agree that Bleak Inlet really is the worst map of them all 😅. That wood chopping business ..... whoa. Man. That's really hardcore stuff. Not your usual PG-13 Interloper.

20 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Quite impressive run. "Nice" to see that you agree that Bleak Inlet really is the worst map of them all 😅. That wood chopping business ..... whoa. Man. That's really hardcore stuff. Not your usual PG-13 Interloper.

Thanks !

Yeah how wrong i was about Bleak Inlet - I realised that i came here only to loot the area and open the cannery in my Interloper runs. Living here for 100 days made me realize that its the hardest map to survive in HANDS DOWN !!

Wood chopping was under control :D🥶 but pretty reckless. I just had to have that wood 😁

• 1 month later...

Hello survivors !! Its been a while since i updated my struggle.  Although i have successfully finished the challenge some time ago i havent updated the post. Mostly bcoz i took some time off work and i dont use PC in my home. Only in office.

Anyway.

Its been a nice 101 days in Ash Canyon. Its nice that the region has a partially destroyed but working fishing hut - i really like to go fishing from time to time to just pass some days and fish by the fire.

I have chosen Anglers den for my main base in the region - simply bcoz its in the middle of the map and there are routs from there that lead to every corner of the map. When i got to it i started to gather food and firewood. There are plenty of wolves and some deer close to the hut so getting meat was no problem. Same goes with firewood - i think its the most rich region in terms of firewood. After some days we were settled in our base.

22_11.2022_08-15-14-eo2l4e0r.thumb.png.a8d9b72c0bc09ba2de14247ebdad71da.png22_11.2022_08-15-26-3awsrlcp.thumb.png.aa5f54a49eac5ccd45f3ff82357869cb.png

In the meantime i took a trek to the gold mine to gather coal  and went back to miners foley to make a 2nd base and hunt Boris the bear - i will need his hide to repair the bedroll soon. The weather was nice and Boris the bear was ready to cook !

22_11.2022_08-15-24-imktjnob.thumb.png.f18022eede281aedb0f21f53e3084080.png

What is interesting is that around the tool/maintenance shed? with the fire barrel that you see on the screen reclaimed wood spawn. Ive never seen reclaimed wood respawn anywhere in the Long Dark. But i confirmed that at least 4 pieces of reclaimed wood respawn around the shed - its nice bcoz there aer only a few sticks around that place. You can billy goat from this place to Anglers den in 60 secs so its nice.

My 3rd base i made at homesteaders respite and attached a rope to the climb spot so i can easily go from thew fish hut to the house and rest there if needed. After i discovered entire map, killed the moose and got attacked (once) by a suprise wolf i started to haul fire fuel to the fishing hut and began some fishing time.

22_11.2022_08-15-18-lw4arivs.thumb.png.5130937fcedbec115f7d75839dda0b55.png22_11.2022_08-15-12-m4apst0t.thumb.png.4234fc7931c4041717ea6b09e3a1259a.png

22_11.2022_08-15-11-q5ydhcz2.thumb.png.0baa7c1f894593eab18ecebdfdd3e452.png22_11.2022_08-15-21-lt2qohdt.thumb.png.d641bc08ab792120976d53c06a1ed10d.png22_11.2022_08-15-12-uyhrxwyv.thumb.png.65c46cd999e1c0a3b9da306056c11f2c.png22_11.2022_08-15-22-rwp2lviv.thumb.png.dda5fe26912a62ffd3c4ce2bb6b99a76.png

Time flew really fast and i was feeling really comfortable in the region after 200 days with timber wolves. The weather is quite ok nothing serious rly.

Ive spent my last days repairing and gathering inventory for another trip. Time for Hushed River Valley !!!

Said goodbye to the hut and left.

22_11.2022_08-15-28-atg552q5.thumb.png.d0aa3361fa24f4da0e775faaed2c346f.png22_11.2022_08-15-29-yiype3ev.thumb.png.c706234045c3d10185ddeeb706584ed3.png

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

@James Hickok

So HRV and DP are the final two regions?

SIR , YES , SIR ! Lets get right into it :)

So i was a caveman for 100 days :D

After Ash Canyon I went back to my main base in CH to take some arrow shafts from the inventory i got stacked there bcoz i was running low and i know that i have to make last crafting in Milton before i go to HRV - no crafting table in HRV. Didnt take arrowheads bcoz i know i have to climb a rope to milton and with extra weight it would be impossible.

Didnt have to take cloth bcoz actually i found a lot of it in Ash Canyon tbh - took 40 with me. When i got to milton farm to craft the arrows i found out that i had no arrowheads in the base there what so ever. I could either go back or go with it. I had 19 arrows on me so i decided ill go with it.

So i entered the zone and got on a ledge that went above the Stairsteps Lake to settle in the cave near the bear spawn somwhere between Reclusive falls and Valley View point. Its a nice cave from where you can go to the upper south side of the map via rope, the center river canyon via fallen tree from where you can traverse to the northern parts. There are 2 wolves clos of the cave and some rabbits just outside. I killed the wolves and start to cook my first meal there. The weather was getting worse by the minute.

22_11.2022_08-15-30-utv1zb13.thumb.png.082c40f2a34658ab478a0db201f10cda.png

On the next day i was lucky to find a deer wandering about just outside the enterance of the cave - no wolves , im safe he thought. WRONG.

22_11.2022_08-15-38-1p5msbll.thumb.png.0c8b49c333264ed414783f57740e5853.png

The next few days i spent on killing the bear ( i always try to kill them as fast as i can so they respawn faster). Need skins to repair double bear skin coat and bedroll. When i got them curing in the cave it was time to loot the cave system and basically just get to every place on the map. I always do it like this: I get up the rope south of the main base cave and enter the ice cave system from the upper south map location. Traverse the whole system and kille the wolf ofc and loot everything. Then i get back to main cave base and leave loot. After that i go in the center river canyon and set up 2nd base in the cave there near the rope. After i set up the base with some water and wolf meat (there is a wolf spawn near) i go to the left part of the map and traverse all of the caves counterclockwise around the map. I will finish again in the upper south region. Took me some days to go everywhere but i made a small base in every cave there is. I got a Moose spawn near the valley cave so i made a 2nd big base there. All was fine and the region is sooooo nice and peacefull really.

22_11.2022_08-15-33-q4cc0nw3.thumb.png.c5858f42c198f4d05916cde7ce2f9c34.png22_11.2022_08-15-32-xce1bkjf.thumb.png.2636949c9a5eecedeef15f30495cf596.png

Found the hammer in the mysterious signal fire. I think this is the 5th hammer that i found in the game so far.

22_11.2022_08-15-33-blmd4io4.thumb.png.59e54b56760acaea4a5eb02a7fc8fac4.png

Bcoz i was short on arrows with no means of making them i used the "one arrow 2 kill tactic" basically luring the wolves near the deer and then when the wolf kills the deer i kill the wolf. It worked magic up to a point that i still got 8 arrows left when i finished the region.

Rest of the time i spen on moving from one cave to another stacking them up with food and water, chilling by the fire. I really like caves tbh. I feel secure in them and i dont have to worry for cabin fever. So the caves looked more or less like this when i was finishing:

22_11.2022_08-15-43-hnhjpadc.thumb.png.957a969396337341ad545e997d5919de.png22_11.2022_08-15-39-5mxzwi1i.thumb.png.dfaf0a24bd22789ad4f1e6ba96e091a9.png22_11.2022_08-15-42-tq1gqrot.thumb.png.1f167253957369974bac1a5597712dee.png

Time flew actually quite fast and it was time to say goodbye to this nice place. I repaired all of my clothes to 100% , took water and some food and left the region. After all this time i play interloper and all of my struggles ive mastered it i can say. I feel so comfortable and strong nothing can stop me but then again i felt the same on other run and died on day 748 :D

Only last step remains on this run.

Desloation point here i come !

22_11.2022_08-15-46-zwf5k4o0.thumb.png.f9add69636e05dae04de9e0603479333.png

Cya survivors, keep warm and fed out there.

Edited by James Hickok
  • Upvote 1

My dear fellow survivors ! I've made it !

DESOLATION POINT

Although i was in desolation point for a total of 17 days when i started my challenge for crafting purpouses. My first region after i crafted tools and arrows, got the backpack and summited was Coastal highway. During my 100 days there i stayed for 17 days in DP just for forging purpouses. I had to make enough arrows and tool sets to last for the whole run thus my 17 days there before i came for the long stay. I left desolation point for last bcoz i was a bit worried about the food situation there - during my stay there i didnt saw a bear spawn and i hauled a bit food with me from CH so i was a bit worried.

So i went to Desolation point beachcombing along the way thru CH and Crumbling Highway to settle in my main base for the region - The Riken :D

Along the way i killed the wolf and deer and took the meat with me. When i got to the riken 2 of the other wolves came to me bcoz of the smell. I dealt with them and took the meat off. It wasn much - all of the 3 wolves had 3 kilos each on them. Fortunatelly both of the deer had 10 kilos on them. I made a fire and started cooking. There are a total of 3 wolves and 2 deer in the region so not much. There should be a bear and maybe if im lucky a moose. Not much.

After i've set my base up i went to reloot the world and gather coal from the mines. I got back to the Riken and dropped all af my gatherings. The weather in Desolation Point is cold and can be quite severe. A lot of insanely cold (almost PV cold) morning blizzards - at least they dont last that long.

22_11.2022_08-15-50-v2zuozdm.thumb.png.dfe768b221aa940e6499c78622f50f08.png22_11.2022_08-15-49-yw2st2hj.thumb.png.d8873567a2172a44f24c8061e8270d29.png

After a few days my food supplies began to dwindle and it was clear to me that this will be the main problem. No bear stil. Maybe hes not on? Dang. I started to starve during the day and eat only before sleep. It continued like this for some days - no wolf and deer respawn yet. I went for a rabbit hunt and caught some. There are a few places with rabbits in Desolation. One is really close to the riken on the small island where the deer spawns. Days past and food began a real problem, i had to think of something. Got it ! Ill make a rabbit snare farm on the island - i have plenty of reclaimed wood and some guts cured in the ship ! I made a couple of snares and set up the farm :)

The first thing i did the next morning is check my farm. I was amazed :)

22_11.2022_08-16-07-mt2f5ksr.thumb.png.afb40a20ab3268ae49a9e366bfc9b733.png

Every day i came i had from 2 to 4 rabbits snared. Success that is enough to live while starving ! Rabbit meat began to stack in my Riken camp. Life is good.

22_11.2022_08-16-07-hlda4dfp.thumb.png.f78db48855982a345c356520de960b77.png

When i was taking care of my farm wolves and deer respawned - YES ! I immediately took a run around the region and kill wolves and deer. Decided to leave the meat in my 2nd base - the church for cabin fever purpouse. There is a fire barrel there and it doesnt count as an interior. Sure there is cold there and you need the fire constantly but wood and coal is no problem at all here. Night hit so i stayed in the church. 22_11.2022_08-16-13-uzgxh2py.thumb.png.80067e142b5b50b7bc7843c452b87990.png

Next days i spent on forging stuff. I dont really need it but it kills time and you never have enough gear right ? :)

22_11.2022_08-16-09-nhwddir3.thumb.png.bc3d3f1dde5017773b2ea5c3e4fc579b.png

When i got back the next morning and got out to check my farm i heard some bear noises really really close - just in the back og the Riken. YES !!!! Food and pelt for repairs. I quickly ran off a bit to see where hes at. Positioned myself in a straight line in front of him, made a fire and shot him in the head. He started charging me but stopped for a while before the fire. I shot him in the head again and killed him. Nice. I quickly checked the farm tooke the rabbits and started to harvest the Bear - all of it. Things were begginning to look better so i decided no more starving - time for well fed again.

22_11.2022_08-15-47-rbop2dy2.thumb.png.34614f42b4e8598d7c0eaffa8c528968.png22_11.2022_08-16-04-4uc3badc.thumb.png.6141e29ef1f239115ae9462a5596178e.png

Around day 45 i went for a routine trek around the region bcoz i heard wolves respawned. Then i saw it. Moose on the bridge where the Matt's truck is. GOLDEN.

I had to get him. I never one shot a Moose before shooting him in the antler. Maybe it counted as head. Funny

There is a pause in the movie thath i did during gameplay to take a few sips of beer i was that excited.

From thise time on i was set up for the entire stay. After a few weeks Bear respawned and was nice enough to die in fron of Riken :D I was golden with food now

22_11.2022_08-16-08-wea1jd4f.thumb.png.48f8a981a2ec893e1a031a5a60e41c25.png

During my stay here i experienced some spectacular aurora evenings and nights. Check out this viev from outside of Riken.

22_11.2022_08-15-51-m34stjue.thumb.png.d5c43d1014f706c30b1c7dccc1e32830.png22_11.2022_08-16-02-cdh5vmj1.thumb.png.bf813bcc2051493e14cd9cea73a6cd68.png

Spectacular !

During my stay in Desolation i had companions ! I found them on the shores and we decided to be friends. They were always with me by the fire outside of camp. We shared stories and ate together. Happy times. They love beans so i always left them a hot can to eat. Check out my buddies:

22_11.2022_08-16-11-s351d2gq.thumb.png.149fd3a85629f685c0b5e70c84819539.png

Time flew fast and it was nearly time to finish my stay here. The last days i decided to stay in the church to thank the maker for my succesfull run and many many exciting adventures. The fire was burning and it was nice in there.

22_11.2022_08-16-10-0q4amkyh.thumb.png.aebbf4ca038a228c2fff006ad07e9376.png

Then it was time to leave. Amazing. I feel happy and sad at the same time. I packed up and went back home to Jackrabbits. Its done.

22_11.2022_08-16-13-f1vygcin.thumb.png.ed3c86f46e88d8f9f7ba666d0ef95fda.png

Overall it was an amazing experience. It made me know the regions so well. It improved my TLD skills.

What is funny and interesting that i read all of the guns, revlover , ammo making books i found and i found 4 guns guns guns books on this run. After reading them in correct order (guns guns last) i managed to get skills up to :

Carabine - 4,4

Revolver - 4

Gunsmith - 4,5

Its crazy that you can get those skill almost to the max without even firing a weapon. You cant get to lvl 5 tho. Even if i had 2 more guns guns books but close.

After seeing the new TLD trailer today im excited and cant wait for new adventures. Also im so glad that they change the animal and loot locations - it will feel like exploring new world again.

Cya later survivors ! Keep warm and fed out there !

22.11.2022_08-16-10-0q4amkyh.png

Edited by James Hickok