I think I'd Pay for a Polar Bear

Muestereate

14 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Bearskin Balaclava: I think that crafting this would actually be fairly simple, just chop the head off a bear and..

Ahh, very nice.

And to my  global warming naysayers, Until we get off the Island there's no way to know that the Arctic doesn't have palm trees and land crawling Octopuses and that Pleasant Valley isn't the North Poll. Dang I almost died last night 44 below, -37 Windchill maybe lower,  49 degrees of protection, bearskin bedroll fire and tea and still almost dead.

• 1 month later...

I do kinda love brainstorming new animals just for the fun of it. I massively love the idea of animals being unique to some regions.

Wild boar:

Behavior: Prefers to run away. But can get aggressive. When aggressive the boar will charge the player, knocking them down and dealing some moderate damage (not as much as a wolf).
Harvest rewards: High-calorie meat. 3 guts. Water-resistant boots and pants?
Regions: All "easy" freshwater regions. Mystery lake, muskeg, railroad, mountain town.
Gameplay purpose: Mainly to replace some wolves in these "beginner" regions. Making them friendlier to new players. The hide isn't as good as deer hide, but the meat is better.
I've seen people say boars would freeze to death. But I'm not so sure about that. Siberia also has boars, so I think the Canadian boars should do fine.

Grouse / Wild Turkey / large terrestrial bird:

Behavior: RARE (not as rare as moose but still rare). Will fly away if spooked. Crossing incredible distance.
Harvest rewards: Some bird meat, which isn't that great, but LOTS of feathers for arrows (like 50?). Maybe special arrows?
Regions: All. But VERY RARE
Gameplay purpose: To gain a large number of feathers.

Polar bear:

Behavior: The aurora has disrupted their behavior, they've wandered down from the artic to the northern parts of the great bear. More aggressive than black bears. Deals more damage. Will stalk the player much like a wolf does.
Harvest rewards: Huge amount of bear meat and guts. High-quality polar bear fur that's got the best warmth, water resist, and wind resist in the game, but is very heavy, also gives a little stealth bonus.
Regions: Unique to an "ice flats" region. Polar bear is surprisingly hard to spot due to their white fur.
Gameplay purpose: Super endgame gear. Makes their unique "ice flats" region immensely dangerous.

Mountain Lion:

Behavior: THE TRUE ANTAGONIST!!! Unlike all other predators, the mountain lion will actively hunt the player. Uses some DarkWalker mechanics. The player will know if they're on a mountain lion's radar if they hear screeches in the night and notices claw marks near their base in the morning. The player must now play very carefully for a while (2-5 days). Turning corners, exiting caves and buildings, and not regularly looking behind themselves will fill an invisible "risk" meter. When the meter is full the mountain lion will spawn near them, out of their sight, and attack them. A mountain lion struggle is a life or death situation, if you lose it you die. If you win the struggle but didn't cause the lion to bleed the hunt will still continue and it will look for another opportunity to get you. If you got it to bleed it will end the hunt and the mountain lion will probably die somewhere. Can, very very very very rarely, be encountered regularly.
Harvest rewards: Low quality predator meat, low amount of guts. An ok fur that's more of a trade-off to the wolf coat, weighing less but also protecting against the elements less.
Regions: Timberwolf mountain, Ash canyon, Blackrock, Hushed river. WILL FOLLOW YOU OUT OF THE REGION IF YOU ARE BEING HUNTED! Might migrate to other regions as a late game threat.
Gameplay purpose: High-level, antagonistic threat. Not really worth hunting. Makes you the prey.

• Upvote 2

I vote evil NPCs. Coming to your base, being ransacked and turned upside down with half the items stolen would drive me nuts! 

It does appear to be a plausible scenario, since the island is prowling with criminals. It would probably bring fresh breath to gameplay trying to track them down. I never bought this idea that you're the only human capable to survive with all other people dropping like flies. Realistically speaking, nlgreat bear natives would have a much higher chance of survival on their own land than a crashed pilot or a city doctor🤔

I'm boiling over again, someone turn down the stove..💁‍♂️

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/30/2022 at 11:23 AM, Ghurcb said:

1) Mountain lion.
I think that there should be one heavily forested region, where cougars spawn. With very few shelters, the player would feel exposed most of the time, when they're outside. And who knows, what lurks behind those trees? When it gets close to you, a suspenseful music starts playing. Mountain lion should be the silent hunter. Hiding, stalking you, making no sound, keeping its distance.
I don't know what the reward for killing one should be. Perhaps, you could craft a hat from its hide? The thing is, you shouldn't be hunting them for fur and meat. They should be hunting you. Maybe, the region has a unique and useful item hidden somewhere deep in the forest (much like the ash canyon does). And those beasts, are the wardens.
Oh, also, no wolves should spawn in that region. That's cougars' turf. And it should have sort of a horror feeling to it. 

2) Birds.
They don't even have to serve any function. Simply by existing they would improve the feeling of wilderness. Right now you can hear many different birds, but you can never see them. Having them flying from one treetop to another would make the world feel so much more alive.

3) Female deer/moose. 
It's kinda weird that all the deer and moose we see have antlers. In case of deer, all Hinterland would have to do is to remove the antlers. And when a deer is spawned there's a 50% chance that it has no antlers. The difference is purely cosmetic. I don't know how it would work with moose, though. Female moose are not as aggressive as males during mating season, but making them neutral until provoked wouldn't be good for game's balance. To fix this problem, here's the next suggestion...

Wow, never thought so many of my suggestions would be confirmed to be added into the game IN THE SAME UPDATE. 

• Like 1