Disappering bear

Outside Trappers Cabin I shot a bear three times, dodging into the cabin and waiting for a minute or so - i.e. one shot, into the cabin, wait 1 minute, head out and repeat.  All three shots hit the bear.

The final time I came out of the cabin I saw the arrows momentarily suspended in thin air as if they were attached to an invisible bear then they all dropped to the ground. 

I slept for an hour and checked the stats - the bear did not die.

Looks like a bug to me.

I wish I had a video of the arrows falling to the ground - it was like a surreal cartoon. 

Falling arrows is a new one.  disappearing bears arent though. I've had them vanish more or less right in front of me. 

They have also vanished after being killed . And there's the invisible bear too, still alive but just tracks,very creepy!

Thanks, @LeeandaI had a bear also disappear on me underneath the leaning tree by the Unnamed Pond.  I was perched on the tree and had shot the bear a couple of times.  The bear was trying to run away but was jammed up against the tree, running into the snow and the tree.  Suddenly the trampling noises of his paws was gone and so was the bear.

It's most annoying - I wish Hinterland would fix it.  At least with this latest debacle I got my arrows back.  The tree-bear took my arrows with him.

I've also had around five arrows just disappear entirely, after a head shot.  The wolf/deer falls sideways and the arrow goes into the ground, never to be seen again.  I've been checking and checking the same spot to make sure the arrows don't come back, but so far, nada.

Also pacing in and out of the Mountaineer's Hut the bear that was interested in me was teleporting about the place which made me very nervous.  I think it's something to do with animal's position or state getting reset after you enter or exit a building.  I think the Trapper's bear had just died when I left the cabin but failed to actually die and show up in the stats.  The tree bear I can't explain, except perhaps that he ran into the fabric of the world and got absorbed by it.   

Attached is a couple of screenshots of another weird bear 'reset' where the bear died 'in a tree' and later after I had gone into Trapper's to warm up and come out again to quarter him, he had  shifted - presumably the engine decided he shouldn't be in the tree.  If I recall, I think this bear was 'break-dancing' up against the tree in an aurora like he was stuck.  I had kept him in range by picking up raw meat to get three stink lines, and he was trying to come to me at Trapper's but he was jamming up against the tree.

Arrows are relatively difficult to make and I would appreciate it if they didn't keep disappearing.  An animal falling sideways might break an arrow but not drive it into the world never to be seen again.

Disappearing and invisible bears are just weird and frustrating.

Lastly, this final bear actually mauled me at the start of the encounter as my sound was low and he crept up on me (never again!).  So I got mauled, my clothing got damaged (like 6 degrees warmth loss on Interloper which is a major issue) and for nought.  Hinterland had those red lost+found boxes by doorways in one version (they don't seem to be there anymore).  Can I have a red box with a bear hide & 40kg of meat please? I could then make a bear bedroll and keep warm 🙂

Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 19.32.43.png

Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 19.54.47.png

Just now, woodspiral said:

Thanks, @LeeandaI had a bear also disappear on me underneath the leaning tree by the Unnamed Pond.  I was perched on the tree and had shot the bear a couple of times.  The bear was trying to run away but was jammed up against the tree, running into the snow and the tree.  Suddenly the trampling noises of his paws was gone and so was the bear.

It's most annoying - I wish Hinterland would fix it.  At least with this latest debacle I got my arrows back.  The tree-bear took my arrows with him.

I've also had around five arrows just disappear entirely, after a head shot.  The wolf/deer falls sideways and the arrow goes into the ground, never to be seen again.  I've been checking and checking the same spot to make sure the arrows don't come back, but so far, nada.

Also pacing in and out of the Mountaineer's Hut the bear that was interested in me was teleporting about the place which made me very nervous.  I think it's something to do with animal's position or state getting reset after you enter or exit a building.  I think the Trapper's bear had just died when I left the cabin but failed to actually die and show up in the stats.  The tree bear I can't explain, except perhaps that he ran into the fabric of the world and got absorbed by it.   

Attached is a couple of screenshots of another weird bear 'reset' where the bear died 'in a tree' and later after I had gone into Trapper's to warm up and come out again to quarter him, he had  shifted - presumably the engine decided he shouldn't be in the tree.  If I recall, I think this bear was 'break-dancing' up against the tree in an aurora like he was stuck.  I had kept him in range by picking up raw meat to get three stink lines, and he was trying to come to me at Trapper's but he was jamming up against the tree.

Arrows are relatively difficult to make and I would appreciate it if they didn't keep disappearing.  An animal falling sideways might break an arrow but not drive it into the world never to be seen again.

Disappearing and invisible bears are just weird and frustrating.

Lastly, this final bear actually mauled me at the start of the encounter as my sound was low and he crept up on me (never again!).  So I got mauled, my clothing got damaged (like 6 degrees warmth loss on Interloper which is a major issue) and for nought.  Hinterland had those red lost+found boxes by doorways in one version (they don't seem to be there anymore).  Can I have a red box with a bear hide & 40kg of meat please? I could then make a bear bedroll and keep warm 🙂

Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 19.32.43.png

Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 19.54.47.png

I've had a few runs when I had several issues happen at once,missing cache invisible bear,floating objects  and a moose that decayed quicker than I could harvest it.(to name a few) Sadly I had to erase the saves and start over.  If your run is a long one then  restarting over might not be what you want but sometimes that's the only thing you can do.,frustrating as it is.  It's so random and very odd though .  I'd file several reports in your case.. 

Good luck. 

On 6/24/2022 at 12:11 AM, Leeanda said:

I've had a few runs when I had several issues happen at once,missing cache invisible bear,floating objects  and a moose that decayed quicker than I could harvest it.(to name a few) Sadly I had to erase the saves and start over.  If your run is a long one then  restarting over might not be what you want but sometimes that's the only thing you can do.,frustrating as it is.  It's so random and very odd though .  I'd file several reports in your case.. 

Good luck. 

Thanks, yes, I don't want to restart this run as its an interloper and one of my better runs.

I killed a further two bears in ML and they both sort of disappeared.  One was under the leaning tree again over the pond - I let him run on the spot for a while then shifted my position to see if I could hit him with another arrow and he shot off towards trappers.  I later followed and searched the entire corner of that map from the pond to trappers to the railroad and there was nothing, no crows.  Another bear in a similar spot - trailed him and his blood trail just ran out and again, after a ton of map searching I can't find him either, no crows at all.  I will admit that I might have missed him, but it seems a bit unlikely.  I travelled to MT and killed the bear around the bridge/cars.   Trailed him for a bit, lit a fire, slept for one hour, woke up and I found him easily on the road after the bridge.  I know there's a good deal of randomness to the way they run, so the ML ones could be there somewhere and I missed them, but it feels like they disappeared too.  

26 minutes ago, woodspiral said:

Thanks, yes, I don't want to restart this run as its an interloper and one of my better runs.

I killed a further two bears in ML and they both sort of disappeared.  One was under the leaning tree again over the pond - I let him run on the spot for a while then shifted my position to see if I could hit him with another arrow and he shot off towards trappers.  I later followed and searched the entire corner of that map from the pond to trappers to the railroad and there was nothing, no crows.  Another bear in a similar spot - trailed him and his blood trail just ran out and again, after a ton of map searching I can't find him either, no crows at all.  I will admit that I might have missed him, but it seems a bit unlikely.  I travelled to MT and killed the bear around the bridge/cars.   Trailed him for a bit, lit a fire, slept for one hour, woke up and I found him easily on the road after the bridge.  I know there's a good deal of randomness to the way they run, so the ML ones could be there somewhere and I missed them, but it feels like they disappeared too.  

It's not consistent to all bears that's the weird thing. Most of mine have been in mystery lake and PV but it's certainly not confined to those areas as far as I can tell.. I've now started making sure I kill them rather than letting them bleed out.  Even then it's not reliable. 

That one on the pond has a habit of running up to the top end of the pond and over the hill too. It took me a while to find that out as I don't usually chase that one.  

I'm just trying to grin  and bear it (sorry bad pun) until the fix turns up. 

On 6/27/2022 at 6:33 PM, Leeanda said:

It's not consistent to all bears that's the weird thing. Most of mine have been in mystery lake and PV but it's certainly not confined to those areas as far as I can tell.. I've now started making sure I kill them rather than letting them bleed out.  Even then it's not reliable. 

That one on the pond has a habit of running up to the top end of the pond and over the hill too. It took me a while to find that out as I don't usually chase that one.  

I'm just trying to grin  and bear it (sorry bad pun) until the fix turns up. 

Perhaps it's a real bugbear? Sorry, another bad pun.  I think I'm not too bothered now as I got my second bear skin for the bedroll, but the thought of 40kg of food disappearing along with hard-won, hard-crafted arrows galls somewhat.  I've got the bearskin coat, and I'll have the bedroll.  I'm not sure I want a second bearskin coat, although the extra 2 degrees warmth over the wolf coat might be helpful.

Just now, woodspiral said:

Perhaps it's a real bugbear? Sorry, another bad pun.  I think I'm not too bothered now as I got my second bear skin for the bedroll, but the thought of 40kg of food disappearing along with hard-won, hard-crafted arrows galls somewhat.  I've got the bearskin coat, and I'll have the bedroll.  I'm not sure I want a second bearskin coat, although the extra 2 degrees warmth over the wolf coat might be helpful.

I'm glad you at least got what you needed. But it is a pain losing meat and wasting ammo.  I hope you find more in the future though,even the roll and coat need repairing eventually.