Coaching series on improving your TLD play: Submit your own footage

Zaknafein

I have started a coaching series, where I review gameplay sent in by viewers. You can use this to get better, but also promote yourself if you are a streamer or content creator.

Here is Part 1. Details on how to submit in the video and on Discord

Guest jeffpeng

Hey @Zaknafein,

maybe you appreciate some feedback, so a couple of points that struck me.

About browncoat04's run: There's pretty much only one point I disagree with, and I believe it's the one that spawned the main problem. Yes, bring food, but no, don't bring smelly food on exploration. None. Not any. Especially not if you are not absolutely firm on where to encounter which predator and/or badly equipped and/or in rough shape, but most certainly not to Broken Railroad. Forlorn Muskeg would have provided ample food to survive the roundtrip to the Maintenance Yard and back in the form of cat tails, and even then starving, if necessary, would have been the preferable choice opposed to three wolf encounters, all of which were avoidable, but became unavoidable simply by having scent on him.

About Cryogen's run: Again, mostly agree, just one point I find contestable - but that's more down to preference. Actually making the trip to get the distress pistol will cost you a day either down in the ravine, or after leaving it, simply because you will have to rest. It will also cost you a considerable amount of firewood if you have to rest after the dam or before the trailer at the Coastal Highway entrance. So to actually do this you will have to align a few things quite neatly, meaning being well rested, optimally having some coffee on you and having preferential weather. If you can check all of these boxes - then yeah, you can go and get the distress pistol. Otherwise it's a pretty hefty detour for something you will not necessarily need, especially not if you manage to find a flare or two.

Other than that this is very good, well structured and aptly presented advice that, if incorporated reasonably well, will improve chances of aspiring Interlopers.

13 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Hey @Zaknafein,

maybe you appreciate some feedback, so a couple of points that struck me.

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, the food issue has caused the most debate regarding this video. I think in principle, I agree - if you want to travel like that, avoid too much meat and carry cat tails and found food. However, in this case he had none of that. It may not be apparent in the video, but if you watch his full vod you can see that browncoat is not too familiar with the maps. So I don't think he would find too many cat tails nor know where to look for food in BR. Because of that, he is better off bringing food with him, in my opinion. But one could argue both ways and the strategy may be mediated by how well you handle wolves or know the map. So I can completely see your point.

With cryogens run, I've started a little project with top streamers and will get back on that issue. But the most common way around the Ravine route is to just loot the gun and stim, then use the stim to get back up. This is what Shardul did.

Thanks for the feedback ❤️

Guest jeffpeng
6 hours ago, Zaknafein said:

With cryogens run, I've started a little project with top streamers and will get back on that issue. But the most common way around the Ravine route is to just loot the gun and stim, then use the stim to get back up. This is what Shardul did.

Ah well, using the stim to get up feels like a waste in my opinion. But yeah, if you are willing to expend that resource this easily - you can do that. Will still cost you a good night's rest, tho. Maybe, and that's why I said it's mostly down to preference, I'm a bit too focused on getting around as quickly as I can.

6 hours ago, Zaknafein said:

strategy may be mediated by how well you handle wolves or know the map

Yes, clearly that's the case. When someone plays Interloper I automatically assume they have at least basic knowledge of the maps. At least I didn't do it until I had an extensive understanding what to expect and where. Yet, I would still argue that even the slightest hint of scent creates more problems than it solves in the majority of cases. Then again: that's from the biased perspective of someone that played deadman to some extent, and maybe has gotten a teeny tiny bit paranoid. 😄

Keep it up.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this very much. Even if myself have now more than 1k hours tld, i am always excited to learn something new.

I just now watched the first couple of minutes of the first clip of this series and yet the first recommendation you gave could be presented as one of two ways to approach a new area.

The altenate take on that aspect would be to say that its acutally not a bad idea to go full loaded into an new area (even though i dont know if the player in that clip planned this), with the intention to create an outpost somewhere with the capability to supply yourself for a couple of days with everything you could need in a worst case scenario. This is because you never know if you find what you need. Especially at the earlier game and if distance to well supplied bases are far away. This sounds like overpreparing. And yes, indeed, thats exactly what can help you out, not only practically but to know that you have now established a temporary but well supplied short term base can give you more confidence in exploring a new region.

The negative of this concept is that you will have to backtrack or haul that supply again back to your starting area/base. So one can certainly argue about whether or not that is a good idea if the path is very dangerous.

• Upvote 1

Hi Zak,

the coaching videos are a great idea. My main concern with browncoat04's run, beside bringing smelly food into FM, is that he passed the MT transition cave and did not take some coal with him. A few pieces are always in my inventory, if possible. This will make hunting stopovers worthwile or even let You live through a snowstorm, if combined with some/lots of sticks.
Another thing to keep in mind exploring a new region or before finding a bedroll is to carry enough materials to create a snow shelter.

23 hours ago, mfuegemann said:

Hi Zak,

the coaching videos are a great idea. My main concern with browncoat04's run, beside bringing smelly food into FM, is that he passed the MT transition cave and did not take some coal with him. A few pieces are always in my inventory, if possible. This will make hunting stopovers worthwile or even let You live through a snowstorm, if combined with some/lots of sticks.
Another thing to keep in mind exploring a new region or before finding a bedroll is to carry enough materials to create a snow shelter.

Thank you!

I believe that browncoat went into the MT cave before setting out, so I didn't mention or show it.