Interloper Multiplayer Mod Story

Pencil

So, I found somebody to play a multiplayer mod with me on The Long Dark. We started with an intense Interloper run that almost flopped on day 1, and I wanted to share it here. If we survive and continue to play it, I might come back and add to this discussion. 

We started in Ash Canyon on an area overlooking the pond where Angler's Den sits. It was morning, extremely cold, and just to the right was a group of three wolves that could notice us at any moment. My friend hadn't connected yet, so I avoided the wolves and made a run for Angler's Den. By the time I got to the door, my friend had connected and started following me, but things didn't go so well for him. 

I enter the cabin and start picking up the few supplies I could find; a box of matches, a couple books, fleece mittens, tinder, a couple arrow heads, and a little food. As I was doing so, my friend walks in, injured and bleeding from a wolf attack. I quickly craft some bandages from a piece of cloth I found on the floor and gave it to him. We exchanged supplies and rested for about an hour when a blizzard struck, keeping us inside. 

The storm lasted for several hours, but fortunately there was still plenty of time left in the day to travel. The only problem was that we burned through all of the food we found from being stuck inside. While we waited out the storm, I started a fire to boil some water and take some torches. Finally, the storm ended and we left Angler's Den. 

First, we headed for the gold mine. We went up the hill to the water fall so that we could take the cave up to near Miner's Folly. We came to the fire barrel on the hill and grabbed the few items that was sitting there. While we were distracted, a wolf appears from behind the hill and immediately charges. I quickly grab a torch and light a match, but before the torch is lit, the wolf attacks me. I manage to scare him off with around 20-30% left, but I'm bleeding. I use my last bandage and realize that both me and my friend have a infection risk, low health, and empty warmth meters. It was time to get moving and hopefully find lichen on the way. 

We get to the path behind the waterfall and come to the climbing area, but there's one problem; my friend has a sprained wrist from the wolf attack and cannot climb up. We were really in a pickle now. I start a fire there to stop any condition loss from cold while we figure out what to do. We could return to Angler's Den and sleep until his wrist is recovered, but we would be out of food, which would prevent condition recovery. Since my friend was very low on condition, I told him to stay by the fire and craft some bandages with the gloves I found. I take a couple torches and climb up the roots, hoping to find lichen up ahead. It wasn't long before I came face-to-face with a pack of wolves at Long Falls. I ran through the area, holding the wolves at bay with my torch. I found 6 lichen and hurried back to the fire. However, all the wolves were on my tail and my last torch was running out. I was freezing, and my condition was under 10%. With the torch under 5%, I tossed it at the wolves and began sprinting. I began hurling stones at the beasts as they closed in on me. I could see the climbing "walls" up ahead. I had no more stones left and my stamina was depleted. I could hear the wolf charge from behind me, but I didn't look back; just before being grabbed, I jumped down the edge of the climbing area and reached safety. I was at about 5% condition. 

I crafted wound dressings for me and my friend, boiled some water, and grabbed more torches. My friend used the gloves to craft bandages and heal the sprained wrist. Still only about 6-7% condition, we climbed up and pressed on. The wolves were still there but kept their distance from the torches. 

We finally made it to the cave. We grabbed coal and other supplies we found in there before leaving and heading to Miner's Folly. The gold mine was too much of a trek at 6% condition. We had to get to Miner's Folly fast before hypothermia risk appeared. Once it did, we'd only have a couple minutes before death. 

There was one more obstacle to get around; the bear. We got to his cave to see him just now leaving. If the bear took too long to leave, I'd have to burn another match and start a fire to warm up. However, I didn't have to. The bear went to the left of the giant rock outside of his cave, giving us an opportunity to run past on the right side of the rock. We booked it through and made it without being detected. We got inside smaller cabin just before hypothermia risk appeared. After looting the cabin and sleeping, it was night. Just before I had to leave, we walked over to Foreman's Retreat. The bear had returned to his cave, so he was no threat to us. It was a little frightening though, as it was pitch black and heavy snowfall outside. We made it safely and then rested. 

Hopefully we both make it to the gold mine in one piece.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

I liked it! Sounds like a fun mod. Can you exit the game and reload it with your friend later, to continue?

Yeah! I just have to open the save and invite him again, and we will both start at the last places we saved at. We both keep our stuff, too. We haven't gotten to play again but hopefully we can sometime

• Like 1