big question

florpman

I'm of course not the Admin or a staff member at Hinterlands. But I can say with pretty much 100% certainty that Darkwalker is not going to be making any sort of physical appearance is Wintermute (maybe an easter egg mention at most).

Darkwalker is some sort of cosmic horror/supernatural entity that is completely separate from TLD's more grounded survival scenarios. It was only released originally because Hinterland wanted a fun Halloween event in 2020, and wanted something other than the 4 Days of Night they done in the past. It was only because of fans demanding it to be a permanent feature that it was turned into a challenge with an actually win goal. 

As for it being apart of some DLC/new challenge I think that is just as unlikely to happen, because Darkwalker was likely intended a one off/seasonal Halloween event. The most I can see happening is an updated version of the challenge to include new region that have been added since the challenge was released, such as Blackrock and the Perseverance Mills region when/if that gets added. 

i think they might appear in WINTERMUTE, because the Darkwalkers explain how we find so many corpses in indoor locations while there's still plenty of food and warmth in there. All the diary pages practically spell out that those things are bloodthirsty monsters that want to kill everything and anything they see. They would really make an interesting plot point, like they're the ones behind the Aurorae, or they're actually the good guys and are trying to protect the inhabitants of Great Bear by scaring them off the island, so they aren't killed by more seismic activity, harsh, never-ending winter, and themselves. when you die in Escape the Darkwalker, it just says you were devoured. that could mean it ate you, you were swallowed by your own mind and went coo-coo, or it took your soul.

@florpman

I am personally terrified of the Darkwalker. However... I think that the event should be just that... an event.

Let’s say you are playing your 365 day run on Halloween. You notice it gets really dark really fast, and eerie chanting starts playing. The moon is blood-red, the aurora is in much more “angry” colors, and the wolves have stopped howling. Off in the distance you see a ravaged Bear carcass. The Darkwalker has just arrived in Survival Mode. It should probably not be an unstoppable spirit, like in the challenger rather, it should be something corporeal. If it has fully phased into our dimension, it must follow the laws of our dimension, so it can die. It will be tough, but it can die.

Upon death, the Survival Darkwalker should not leave a corpse, just a skull that can be mounted on the wall or used to frighten off all animals.