The tales of King Arthur’s brave knights

conanjaguar

DAY 6: Sir Kay awoke around noon in perfect health, and went to harvest the deer carcass that was near the waterfall. He harvested the whole 2.5 kilos off of it while breaking shrubbery, taking the time to notice an anomaly: 6A5F0027-23F1-4D79-988A-63FB7A9944E1.thumb.jpeg.8768f00ba6e98900f17fdf16967f0eda.jpegThe meat has separated from the carcass, but it won’t fall off. 
As the last piece of gut came out... BLIZZARD!!!

Sighing, Kay gathered up his meat and high-tailed it back to the cave, passing time by taking stock of his inventory, and then hit the sack.

DAY 7: The morning today was extremely foggy, but that only lasted for an hour or so before clearing up. Taking his torches in hand, Kay went to the Shortwave Tower. It was here that the downhill slide began; as he approached it, Kay was a second too late in lighting another torch from one that he dropped to wave off a wolf. Then, as he lit a fire inside the apparent safety cage of the bottom of the tower, and wielded a 50% torch, in a famous quote that I used to say years and years ago: “Wof bite my hai.” Apparently this “wof” was not afraid of the fire, and set about casually chewing Kay down to 50z condition. Now, here is where I should have called it a day and gone back to the cave, but nooo. Kay broke all the crates, and searched the metal containers, finding

an energy bar, a piece of charcoal, and a pair of new fleece mittens, but... no matches.

Kay then tried to go back to Spence, but decided against it about a third of the way there, as his fatigue was extremely low. As he crawled back up to the waterfall, our of a crystal blue sky, there came (guess first)...

yet another blizzard.

FD70D52B-45A5-46FF-94E0-CE1A75B4D035.thumb.jpeg.e6c830562b8933d723e84b391b4a8a62.jpeg

To make a bad day already worse, Kay forgot about the bedroll warmth bonus and wasted a match to start a fire. Seeing as I didn’t want to waste the match, Kay put ALL his fuel on that fire to make it last all night. 

RUMINATIONS: Um... can I say, “Ouch”? If the blinds don’t have any matches, then Sir Kay is doomed. With that in mind, the blinds are now our life-or-death goal; get to them or die. Then, I think I will move most/all of the stuff from Spence to the cave; at least it is warmer in there, and return only to craft and forge. Also, I have yet to see any rabbits or deer, so food is going to be a bit of a problem.
  • Upvote 2

DAY 8: In the morning, Kay awoke early, pulling some torches from the fire, and set out into the morning mist.F25072FB-D10C-432F-A665-CC17F7AB8B96.thumb.jpeg.d71cdb94ebf969ca7db1542a38059e71.jpegHowever, the mist soon thickened into a real pea-souper, and Kay lost most of his remaining health in finding his way back to the cave and sleeping for two hours. Ugh.
Kay then set out for the Poachers Camp, into weather that promised a blizzard, but soon cleared up. It was bitterly cold, and rainbow colors began playing in the corners of Kay’s vision as he stumbled into the train car, exhausted and cold, and lit a fire to sleep.
These little misadventures cost a lot of time, and the sun was setting when Kay set out for Spence again. However, the wolves and bear caught his scent, so... two steps out into the ice and:0D59E274-9F2C-4443-B2AC-761B8675CFE9.thumb.jpeg.0b9e21ca3d111ac4ab97ba8213bb9c41.jpegNOOOOOO!!!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Sorry! That's bad luck.  RIP Kay 

keep fighting on. Good luck on the next run...👍

Next run will be sir Bedivere of the Cold Table, on Interloper. If he gets dropped in the ‘Keg, then great, but if not... it will still be fun.

• Upvote 1

THE TALE OF SIR BEDIVERE:

DAY 1: Sir Bedivere awoke near a familiar-looking waterfall. A look at the map confirmed my suspicions; this was Pleasant Valley! And this was the waterfall that Mordred admires shortly before his demise. However, Bedivere noticed something that Mordred had not: an old shed!2A118877-E798-43AD-9A95-BC67EC90C04D.thumb.jpeg.e4bdc605c24624912a3f4908ec9ac44e.jpegIf my Wintermute knowledge served me right, then the road should be nearby, with the Pleasant Valley Farmhouse on the left. Turns out I was right:DCD023E7-CCB5-4CC2-9F4B-D0F7917EFA10.thumb.jpeg.744b017c6cb33b75225578dbcecc1d38.jpegThere were no wolves or bears around, so Bedivere set out for the house itself, first admiring the Birch trees:7C381EB3-7443-42C7-9212-33C1182E3DBD.thumb.jpeg.de684a3eaad315780f175906639d7f17.jpeg’Tis lovely.
In and around the house, Bedivere found some food, two boxes of matches, a soda, a cup of coffee, a ski jacket, and two cooking pots. With these, he made lots of water (over ten liters!), cooked his can of peaches, and went to bed with the sounds of the house shaking in a blizzard in his ears.

DAY 2: Bedivere awoke famished. After dropping some of his water, he set out into the light snow for the barnhouse and the barn itself, avoiding Bessie the Bear and stoning a rabbit on the first try; apparently my aim has improved. Inside  the barn, Bedivere found, among other things, an issue of the Small Arms Handbook. Oh well, it’s something to read, and eventually burn, or perhaps save for a warmer time. With 98% risk of frostbite, Bedivere wisely elected to start a fire and warm up while cooking the rabbit meat, before setting out for Thompson’s Crossing. However, by the time he arrived at Heartbreak Bridge, a blizzard struck. Yet, Bedivere continued on, arriving at the Community Center late in the day.
A quick search revealed new Work Gloves, two tins of coffee, and various assorted foods. One funny moment shall be re-enacted here:

Bedivere finds a pack of ketchup chips on the counter “eeexxccellent.” Opens cupboard, finds peaches “Just what I need.” Opens another cupboard, finds more ketchup chips. “I’m just out of this stuff.” Uh, no you are not, mr. Whiny Knight.

After finishing the processing of the rabbit, Bedivere cooked all ten cups of coffee and went to bed. I can ruminate with the next installment.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Oh no, THE BROTHER strikes again...

Well, when you have two each of cooking pots and recycled cans, then...

(COMPUTING)

Each pot boils 2L of water in water in two hours. Each recycled can boils 0.5L of water in thirty minutes.

So, while the pots boiled their 4L of water, the cans boiled roughly the same amount. Then, filling everything up to 0.5L got two more liters of water.

The ten liters of water was my work. The ten cups of coffee was, indeed, THE BROTHER. I had gone to refill on rose hip tea (it actually tastes great!) and left him in charge.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

THE DREAMS OF SIR BEDIVERE, PART 1:

All right, so, first a bit of explanation here. For Bedivere, I want to try something new, to further reflect his unstable dual personalities. Every night while sleeping, he is assumed to have lengthy, vivid dreams. In other words, a challenge must be completed, or at least attempted, to progress further. So... Bedivere’s first dream was Escape the Darkwalker, to get the feat.5B49245E-65DA-458A-AA89-8DD46B4B0F35.thumb.jpeg.f8f06c86b38dd9fd609124fc9185daf5.jpeg23F31AED-1024-4274-8CE4-36E44FA18818.thumb.jpeg.7b1cef67e983ee7bb4c9ea6e2b9a0c84.jpegFor my first attempt, Bedivere started in Broken Railroad, managing to get the diary page and scram before the Darkwalker arrived. It later caught up with Bedivere in Forlorn Muskeg, but a Lure/Ward combo held it off long enough for him to grab the bearskin bedroll and the second diary page.

Then, on to Mystery Lake, stopping at the Camp Office to sleep a few hours before grabbing the third diary page, as well as the rifle. Then, after a tough choice, the decision was made to go to Coastal Highway via the Ravine. This almost failed, but Bedivere manage to leave the region with two minutes left on the fog.

The Darkwalker again caught up with Bedivere after he got the fourth page, because he was waiting in one of the fishing huts, drying out his clothes and making hot coffee after falling through the ice.

I left off with Bedivere almost at the Desolation Point entrance, with seven minutes of breathable air left. Then, he awoke, covered in sweat and in absolute fear.

EDIT: After further ruminations, I think that after Darkwalker is finished and Bedivere meets his eventual and inevitable doom, I will try an Endless Night Interloper... at risk of breaching the copyright currently held by @jeffpeng.

Edited by conanjaguar
Hmm... I can’t really think of one right at the moment.
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

So, while the pots boiled their 4L of water, the cans boiled roughly the same amount. Then, filling everything up to 0.5L got two more liters of water.

Right, ten liters on the six burner at the Farmstead is not excessive. THE BROTHER would have boiled a hundred.

• Upvote 1

(After coming down with COVID, it has been a few days since I have been well enough to play and write)

DAY 3: Bedivere looted the entirety of the town, finding almost nothing, except for a prybar and enough food to last for about a minute of sprinting or freezing. He did take time to notice farm-fresh spray paint. B6CD840F-5C51-4CC0-AF73-62A3643F21FC.thumb.jpeg.954a6ac23e8f81dd0d2a03114c7549fc.jpegWhat?
However, this endeavor took him down to 20% condition from freezing, and he ran back to the Community hall to rest and craft an improvised head wrap.

After this was accomplished, Bedivere beat around the bushes for a bit, and, deciding that further delay would result in starvation, decided to set out for Coastal Highway. After losing a few more percentiles of condition to the cold, and hitting rabbits with rocks three times in a row (the same one!), Bedivere finally entered the Cinder Hills Mine. He lit up the torch and grabbed everything in sight, which would be almost 40 pieces of coal, some tools, a granola bar, a soda, and a stim. The stim in particular was in a mountain goat only accessible location (MGOAL), and Bedivere almost got stuck:4BF12B0D-25C7-4B7D-A8FB-FF6228AA8ABF.thumb.jpeg.986af98b58d8cd521b6056520567d742.jpeg
Searching the metal container was out of the question.
By the time Bedivere exited the mine, it was late in the evening, and the aurora had already started to sing. Fueled by hot coffee and a stim (to bring back some condition), Bedivere torch-walked, making it almost to the outskirts of the town before...0D0F4F81-EE24-4E9C-A9E3-8A7E8BBF6670.thumb.jpeg.ce3853095256d1407db103cbd4d78f98.jpegSmokey does not like my torch...254E3FF7-70A4-4A31-9F6D-6E88874DE031.thumb.jpeg.13cd9c64ce99c1503f25c00896b847e1.jpegE471EDD9-9525-4051-9CF2-0DC9963C5CCC.thumb.jpeg.b0b1137835516822f842d2501b3a694b.jpegDA5D3AF8-8617-4A4D-9886-B2ECA3BCBFFB.thumb.jpeg.c4be2f33fe69acdca9c181909850fbb8.jpegIn Polish, the word for a bear is “Miś” or “Niedzwiedz”. In this case, it was the Miś that bit my ‘hai’.
With his last percentile of condition, Bedivere hurled a rock at the bear. He died before he could see if it hit or not.

Y’know what? I think I had better stick with Stalker; Interloper is like another game entirely. I only have two knights left before I have to bring out Arthur himself, so I’ll make them count.

• Upvote 2

After a half-dozen abortive runs (on Stalker!), with such varied means of demise as:

• Getting mauled by a wolf
  • Getting seriously chewed on by a wolf and bleeding out while making bandages
  • Getting eaten by a wolf because I fell through thin ice and teleported into its jaws
  • Getting killed by a panicked wolf
  • Getting crushed by a dead wolf, and finally:
  • Getting killed by the aurora wolf that I did not see because I was ripping meat from its friend with my bare hands.

that I blame on pure rustiness and “COVID-brain”, I finally started on Timberwolf Mountain, on Interloper. It seems I haven’t learned my lessons yet. Maybe I should record my runs and send them to for review.

I almost committed suicide by jumping off the nearest cliff, until I noticed the golden rays of the setting sun. After seeing this beautiful sight, I decided to live. 

I will not bother with trying to name or write up the adventures of this new survivor until I can be 57% certain that there is not a wolf around that next corner...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@Leeanda

You jinxed it!

The TWM start fell off a rope and died. The Bleak Inlet spawn, although I did make it to Day 2, I ended up giving myself to the pack. The Forlorn Muskeg spawn, a bear utilized teleportation to access the MGOAL upon which I was perched.

:coffee::fire::coffee:™️  (Copyright ♾️ by @ManicManiac)

I think that, for the next next run, I will give myself a half chance and start in Mystery Lake. On Voyageur, perhaps?

4 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

@Leeanda

You jinxed it!

The TWM start fell off a rope and died. The Bleak Inlet spawn, although I did make it to Day 2, I ended up giving myself to the pack. The Forlorn Muskeg spawn, a bear utilized teleportation to access the MGOAL upon which I was perched.

:coffee::fire::coffee:™️  (Copyright ♾️ by @ManicManiac)

I think that, for the next next run, I will give myself a half chance and start in Mystery Lake. On Voyageur, perhaps?

Noo!!   😥.   Apologies and sympathies.   I know it can get frustrating sometimes ,whatever level you play,but as long as you are enjoying the game, that's all that matters.   

It’s official; I’m taking a one or two week long break from playing The Long Dark. In the meantime, I will be playing lots of Subnautica. That should turn out well, because I have Thalassophobia (fear of the deep sea and what lurks therein).  Those interested in following my adventures further may subscribe to my YouTube channel, Brodowski Brothers Gaming.

Fear not; I shall return!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'd be interested to know what the devs records are now.  If of course they have time to play it these days. 

Probably Raph plays to get ideas for the next update...

One more week until my return! Then, I WILL attempt a Kegstand, using some great tips that I have dug up from many sources. Can I live for ten days?

• Upvote 1

Argh! Must resist... temptation! Tomorrow is a big day, and I must pack! No! Stop thinking about TLD!  STOP THINKING ABOUT IT I SAY!!!

Ugh. It’s no use trying to resist. I will be out of town for a week, so I figure that starting a new run won’t kill me. It probably will...

Cheating somewhat here... I’m trying Darkwalker again, so that next time I can have Endless Night! Bwahaha!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Argh! Must resist... temptation! Tomorrow is a big day, and I must pack! No! Stop thinking about TLD!  STOP THINKING ABOUT IT I SAY!!!

Ugh. It’s no use trying to resist. I will be out of town for a week, so I figure that starting a new run won’t kill me. It probably will...

Cheating somewhat here... I’m trying Darkwalker again, so that next time I can have Endless Night! Bwahaha!

Insanity is taking over this survivor. Another soul is lost.

Water... must make more water... boil more water...