The tales of King Arthur’s brave knights

conanjaguar

@Leeanda

As you should be. We are only human, after all!

I did get a chance to give Percival’s status a quick check last night (played long enough to start a fire and sleep an hour) and it is grim. Condition at 3%, and he needs a fire just to stay above freezing! If he fails, I will introduce Sir Kegstand, a little known knight from the around Table’s rival, the Cold Table. And yes, he will attempt a Kegstand, inspired by @Gooner77.

DAY 2, PART 2: Percival stumbled through the back door of the gas station with less5% condition. It was no warmer inside, so he was forced to squander a precious match to get the fire barrel going. He slept an hour to warm up, and then explored the building. Two boxes of salty crackers, two granola bars, two tins of sardines, a pack of ketchup chips, and a can of dog food was the yield, as well as a practically brand-new hacksaw. All in all, very nice! The fridges even had a summit soda in them! After cooking his rabbit filet and boiling some water, Percival decided to pull some torches and sleep for the remainder of the night.

DAY 3: Already I have beaten my meddling brother’s ‘Loper record! Percival lit up a torch, crouched, and sallied forth with 12% condition. He checked the car right outside the station, striking gold! AD611A32-C5BD-4674-8C69-41A353B2F0E0.thumb.jpeg.21f14236a68675e57bf0edffaf986105.jpegA glimmer of hope!
After a quick check, it was determined that the canine security guards were off duty, so Percival was able to torch-walk to Milton undisturb-BARK!!! Well, scratch that. One of the canine security guards remembered that today was Saturday, not Sunday, and ran out to catch the interloping interloper. Thankfully, Percival was swift enough to avoid it , torch-sprinting between houses and looting the bank while he was at it. In the Bank, he found gloves in the safe, and then he took off for Grey Mother’s house, using his dying torch to light a fire from which to pull even more torches.
Then, he took his time searching the house from top to bottom, finding a LOT of books, a lantern, 0F8359F1-3E7D-49DC-A7C3-1AF4D567F7DC.thumb.jpeg.0cd498b13cae4f5f8a14e5d0ed5f08f2.jpegWhatever is this infernal device?
some food, a second pair each of jeans and underwear, and a worn Ski Jacket! However, my faith in @Zaknafein is now shaken; the cloth in the junk room had nothing behind it! After a few minutes of staring at the empty shelf in disgust, Percival set out for Paradise Meadows. In most unknightly fashion, he snuck around Bruno and Rufus and managed to infiltrate the house itself. Within was a decent Simple Parka, some food, and a third cooking pot (found two in Grey Mother’s). After making water and cooking a large batch each of peaches and beans:53356E08-40B5-4911-B908-2980967B4A1B.thumb.jpeg.9747d3c1b66a9b4a8e17af7a5785239a.jpegThis is what life is all about!
Percival went to bed, hoping to live to see another day.

DAY 4: Today was a terrible day. Percival wasted at least a half-dozen matches misclicking around sticks with an unlit torch, and then, to top it all off, the wind came as soon as he decided to light one for real. Other than this, the main activity Percival was engaged in for most of the day was chasing the local deer into the jaws of Bruno and Rufus; an effort in which he failed spectacularly. The deer kept running directly towards Percy, and Bruno and Rufus decided that howling at the sun was a better use of their time.
The only consolation prize today was that Percival managed to harvest a whole kilo of meat off the ravaged deer carcass laying on the ice in the river.

DAY 5: Today, Percival awoke to a feels like temperature of +2C! Amazing! Not wanting to waste this golden opportunity, he set out for the church. In another stroke of luck, the wolves left him alone almost the entire way, until Percival arrived at the church itself.
There was a wolf there (no sardines for @Leeanda), which Percival quickly scared away before checking out the graveyard. 1D7B34FC-C4FD-484F-8AA1-6241D987C979.thumb.jpeg.c059cb6e7736f8a3d13641e35b8b7b16.jpegThe only marked grave.
After pondering the demise of Ryan Smith for a few minutes, Percival entered the church. Inside was a tin of sardines (shudder) and the usual assortment of hymn books. After warming up a bit, Percival went back outside, to discover that the wolf had killed a deer almost right outside the door. After the wolf was scared away, Percival managed to harvest almost ten kilograms of meat, but did not have time to get the hide or guts, as a blizzard quickly arose seemingly out of nowhere. Taking advantage of this blessing in disguise, an overloaded and exhausted Percival returned to some unexplored house in Milton and hit the sack. And, I ruminate.

RUMINATIONS: All in all, not bad! At least Percival yet inhales oxygen, so there is still hope. I think we will tackle the ravine, and then return to Mystery Lake, following in the steps of Mordred in an attempt to get the summit. Hopefully, he will not make Mordred’s mistake. For those interested, this is where we’re at:7E19323A-2F8D-4A13-8E60-1D5973E35BDE.thumb.jpeg.556b0fb6fb2b4b8462f9131019481e7a.jpegBA8B40B6-BCC1-4F70-87E2-9B65B56BF097.thumb.jpeg.8bc9bf8cc443a27bd3faef5c2e850e89.jpeg8BC90C1B-7771-4848-8395-2CE5D0DF5BD4.thumb.jpeg.d1d3826dcce37980bb6b328cb6e5a947.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zaknafein said:

Unlucky. It is rare - I think I've only found an empty shelf once or twice in total.

Oh well. I was deliberately taking my time in searching the house, because it seems that the longer you delay, the better loot you find. I really could have used that cured maple sapling.

Just now, conanjaguar said:

@Leeanda

I’m not sure. It’s a nice touch by Hinterland, though.

Agreed!   I must admit I stopped looking at them a while back ,trying to make out anything on them made my eyes go funny🙂.   But I did notice one a week or so ago. I thought it was just a one off from story mode or something.    

Glad to see Percival is still battling the odds👍

Edited by Leeanda

8 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Glad to see Percival is still battling the odds👍

And he shall! A maple sapling and five birch saplings are already curing in preparation for finding a heavy hammer and making some arrows.

And, ruminating further, perhaps Percival should backtrack to Broken Railroad in search of a heavy hammer? I seem to remember finding one at the Hunting Lodge.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

And he shall! A maple sapling and five birch saplings are already curing in preparation for finding a heavy hammer and making some arrows.

And, ruminating further, perhaps Percival should backtrack to Broken Railroad in search of a heavy hammer? I seem to remember finding one at the Hunting Lodge.

I don't know the spawn sites for the tools on harder levels but I hope you find one if you do. That shed is usually swarming with wolves !

DAY 6: Today, Percival awoke before dawn, blindly floundering around for a bit before realizing that this was not Paradise Meadows. He searched the house, finding nothing whatsoever except for two books. Percival headed out the door and then headed for the bank managers house, finding a firelog, and a box of matches in one of the cupboards.
After searching these two houses,, Percival decided to return to Paradise Meadows, keeping careful lookout for any wolves. In fact, I very panicked several times because Percy’s breathing sounded remotely like a wolf growling. Perhaps this was because my nerves were frazzled from several close encounters while playing Subnautica. (Thassalophobia is a terrible thing!) The tension was finally broken when one of the canine security guards jumped a rabbit a few meters behind Percival.
Percival continued past this wolf with only three torches left. This put pressure on him to get to Paradise Meadows, as a single chewing upon could have spelled the end for him. However, Bruno had wandered unusually far from home, and decided to try growling at Percival from over the riverbank. He was quickly repulsed by a rock impacting smack on the nose, allowing Percival to continue on to the house, reaching the porch just as the last torch began sputtering and flickering. And, to add a bit of comedy for the day, let’s just say that Percival fainted for a few seconds upon entering, having a very bizarre dream in which the farmhouse suddenly opened up its floor and dropped him into a featureless limbo:9D6CEB75-D444-4A0E-8C29-13B33C201680.thumb.jpeg.b621b50b8f256d945a5a84dcd3b0e7a9.jpeg
After awakening from this dream, Percival went back outside, rubbed his face with snow, and went back in. The floor remained solid, allowing Percival to go and start a fire. However, it was at this time that the eldritch demon that had tormented Mordred, known only as THE BROTHER, decided to possess him, making him compulsively harvest all the dead torches and boil a LOT of water while I myself went to go and get a drink. Being possessed by THE BROTHER is a double-edged sword, causing a lot of time to be wasted, but at least water will never be an issue again.

DAY 7: Today, Percival received a notice from King Arthur himself, which read thusly: Ye olde Wabbit Seasone is open!
Goody, goody, goody! Percival donned his armor and sallied forth, intent on catching and killing some cute furry things...DDF68474-9D38-40AF-ACDD-047E7C2A2F73.thumb.jpeg.e1d47f1a4ecf7ccdc2d3644e0cb85256.jpeg

... and fifteen real-life minutes later, a nearly-hypothermic Percival stumbled into the house, slept two hours to save and warm up (I meant for him to sleep for just one hour, but THE BROTHER struck again), and I decided to watch some YouTube videos on how to hit those stupid rabbits.

Now filled with the confidence that only knowledge can bring about, Percival went out to catch more rabbits, with only 15% health. However, he was tempted by Bruno having just killed a deer. Percival ran up to Bruno, and threw the torch. I heard the whiny panic sound, but... Bruno engaged Percival.

R.I.W.

• Upvote 2

@Leeanda

I can always count on you for support.

@Drifter Man

I now initiate myself into

On 7/9/2022 at 2:08 AM, Drifter Man said:

The Cold Table, the brotherhood of extreme interlopists.

with... THE TALE OF SIR KEGSTAND: 

DAY 1, PART 1: After several random starts in Blackrock and Timberwolf Mountain, Sir Kegstand  finally woke up near a small waterfall in Forlorn Muskeg:5D6A93FB-986E-41E4-8559-390FC03F36A8.thumb.jpeg.77f34cfb940a7343a327b042c2069eff.jpegPerhaps my favorite starting quote.

8C09B3B9-B5E8-4E79-A32F-4294D80ED5C7.thumb.jpeg.b13a825a784dfa6472fb95bcb5c286a6.jpegSmall waterfalls somehow make a region feel much more homey.
and made a beeline for the Poachers Camp, picking up sticks and collecting cattails along the way (as well as stopping by a radio tower to collect some matches and a package of jerky). As Kegstand was by now freezing his face off, he started a warmup fire in the train car, boiling about 2 liters of water while breaking scrub bushes. After accomplishing this, Kegstand wandered around in search of the old Spence Homestead, dodging the local bear and wolves while collecting cattails along the route, as well as spraining his ear while stopping at the High Blind to get the Polaroid, an accelerant, and a copy of Stay on Target. Then, he made a direct beeline for the Spence Homestead.9223F004-D5E1-4440-A95D-F7DCFF3393A6.thumb.jpeg.27b68e413c25b511969157330d11ec11.jpeg A wolf that was stupid enough to block the way way scared off by the flare, and Kegstand was home free! He lit up the forge and slept an hour to warm up and save. 
(It’s pathetic when I can only play half a day.)

D3026D89-D967-4DB1-B710-842647E56C0A.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

A true knight, Sir Percival answered the call of his King, went to battle, and dyed. R.I.W.

15 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

I now initiate myself into

On 7/9/2022 at 4:08 PM, Drifter Man said:

The Cold Table, the brotherhood of extreme interlopists.

Welcome Kegstand, the next torchbearer, to the Cold Table.

DAY 1 PART 2: When Sir Kegstand awoke, he discovered that the furnace had gone out. Oh well. He lit it back up, and, thanks to the insane number of sticks and reclaimed wood he had collected during bursts of breaking down scrub bushes and warming up by boiling water, was able to keep the fire going all night.

DAY 2: A nice, cold, clear morning on the ‘Keg. 94C406B8-9AE9-421E-BE0A-92BC4C9D0834.thumb.jpeg.556c99dd3a6b86af8f4a1ce355db73c0.jpegBitterly cold, in fact. After munching on some cattails for breakfast, Sir Kegstand put more sticks on the furnace and endeavored to crack the safe, finding... a book. Just a plain, ordinary book. Oh well. After checking to make sure there was nothing hidden in the book, Kegstand set about breaking down the nearby crates for a few hours, and then ran out to the nearby hill, enjoying lucrative stick collecting (over 40!) but losing track of time and burning his cup of Rose Hip Tea that he had left on the fire. With this fuel, Kegstand was able to keep the furnace burning all day, until he went to bed.

DAY 3 PART 1: As I write this, one of my other lizards has just defecated on my work surface. Early in the morning, Sir Kegstand put more fuel on the forge, and set out for the broken radio tower, 6B402F94-F6FB-4E09-8557-38DDF77129A9.thumb.jpeg.8dbf3ceb3c653390a3fbfa97b7235bc0.jpegscaring off the local wolf and picking lots of Reishi mushrooms along the way. The tower itself was a disappointment; nothing was around except for lots of sticks. After returning to Spence and sleeping an hour to save and warm up, I ruminate.

RUMINATIONS: The food supply is down to five cattails and a single can of dog food. We have not seen a single deer or rabbit around yet, just that wolf. So, weather permitting, tomorrow will be the day of the cattail harvest.

• Like 2