The tales of King Arthur’s brave knights

conanjaguar

I only had time to get one day in yesterday, so here goes.
DAY 30: Mordred awoke to a clear sky and nice temperatures, perfect weather to go to Pleasant Valley! On the way back to the Office, he decided to fish for an hour, catching nothing, as I had expected. Oh well. So, he trudged the rest of the way back to the Office, deciding to warm up and make water. As I had to use the lavatory, I told my brother to boil some water from me. Like the simple-minded peasant that he is, he dutifully boiled water until I came back... twelve liters, in fact! I had told him to boil two pots, and he boiled six! He had let the entire day go to waste, and Mordred went to bed hungry - again. Mere words cannot express the anger I still feel for my brother right now, so I will use a meme:DDA7A719-A9CF-43B0-B9D6-425A2CA81506.thumb.jpeg.9d191f03fea579e1b4c8b2c23f9540ae.jpegYes, this is the brother.

• Like 2

To us Americans, Happy Independence Day from the land of Dixie! (for you non-Americans, please don’t call me a Yank.) Some festive snaps are in order, but I did not get to shoot off any fireworks.

DAY 31: Mordred awoke before the sun, catching a rare phenomenon: an aurora sunrise! Praying that he would not bump into any of his furry frenemies, Mordred checked the Buffer Memory,DF371A71-99C1-4C72-8556-0F07C1460416.thumb.jpeg.7b47424abc1f2661ead12d110d95d4e9.jpegbid the (miraculously unharmed) Prince of the Forest goodbye and set out for Carter Hydro. Surprisingly, the path was wolf-free, and pure luck (or divine intervention as a reminder to go to church) allowed Mordred to get all the way to the Carter Hydro Bridge before he got jumped and chewed on by Fluffy’s outdoorsy cousin, Floofy. I did manage to get some aurora snaps, though:3E3D724C-336D-47DA-919B-91E973E37C23.thumb.jpeg.9b688a27db5eadcc9a2ce1d923a61d36.jpegI’m gonna make this my wallpaper!92372A48-7748-4411-B423-64FFF0E65153.thumb.jpeg.ce84bf691143d8fe97c409f0b18d0c2f.jpeg The sun creeping up.48C5ABA2-CA36-4AF4-BA37-4E56973FA2CE.thumb.jpeg.e40a2277aa33c3985e6783cab4653f31.jpegRed in the morning... again. An omen for what is to come.BDB72FA9-C361-4BA2-8F1E-FFF9B6BEB80B.thumb.jpeg.bfc160cb571642a1ceae928840f994d7.jpeg
I remember this!
After arriving at Carter Hydro, Mordred made a beeline for the Lower Dam, finding two broken arrows near a dead guy
494E7BD8-CCFD-4A89-8771-EB81359F497B.thumb.jpeg.98d7c725394e503df57363c0cecbbef2.jpeg(more on him in “The Sitting Dead”) and giving the place a quick inspection. There was nothing else of interest, so Mordred continued on to the Winding River. 720C2F25-5D43-4F5E-8B43-818023D3BEB4.thumb.jpeg.fe18b156ab582b1c3a3eb326d0fa1bf5.jpegLooking back, possibly for the last time 
By now it was only midday, and Mordred was already exhausted! He trudged through the area, harvesting cattails and managing to scare a wolf away from a rabbit that it had killed. Eventually, Mordred arrived at the transition cave. 1BC40BC2-6F01-472C-B341-628D28DA6283.thumb.jpeg.fe0ed3cfe87b7a36a8e821bcf722ef8a.jpegBleary-eyed, he stumbled through it until he arrived at the dead deer. He harvested it and gulped down the two steaks. With a relatively full stomach, Mordred took a short nap and continued his exploration of the cave. In short, it did not go too well. Mordred got lost several times, and even fell through the plank bridge (partly my fault, but I didn’t realize that Mordred was so skinny. Malnutrition?) a once. He did pick up a LOT of coal and uncovered about half a dozen cairns, before eventually calling it a day and going to bed(roll).

DAY 32: Mordred awoke late after a long, refreshing sleep, and eventually managed to escape from the cave. Pleasant Valley welcomed him heartily: C5A9E918-CD9F-48D7-9C01-CE74D41D659E.thumb.jpeg.63086e74fad84c2611cd995baf0c2df7.jpeg
Yeah, Pleasant Valley. I hate you, too.
To pass the time while waiting for the blizzard to subside, Mordred ducked back into the warm cave. He read Advanced Guns Guns Guns for three hours in one hour bursts, checking occasionally to make sure the blizzard had passed. The third time was the charm, and the blizzard decided to go away around noon. However, I noticed that Mordred had 26% risk of Cabin Fever! What a random way for it to show up (isn’t it only supposed to occur after 50 days, and NOT on Stalker?) Mordred was still hungry, but had time to admire the waterfall.
D044C683-997F-4AA7-8DDC-1025216F2276.thumb.jpeg.4244b71e6a0f75eb06e51d7e8f3ea5c5.jpegTo add insult to potential injury, Mordred was hounded by a pair of wolves the entire way to Pensive Pond, 5776EAF2-1467-4757-8F0C-FFC4CE13DA73.thumb.jpeg.eb32471c0a9df04673561c9c318e6349.jpegFinally made it.
and was forced to drop his rabbit meat in order to get away. He then shot the doorknob of the fishing hut to unlock it, and went in. He fixed himself and his clothing up in preparation for a long, dark (pun intended), cold night.

RUMINATIONS: Well, that was hectic! Mordred is not doing too well at the moment, but at least he is stable, thanks to that candy bar he found in the fishing hut. Currently, the plan is to get to Thompson’s Crossing, or the Farmhouse, whichever Mordred comes across first in his wanderings. After looting the town, Mordred will make some arrows and attempt to summit without dying.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

DAY 33: To start off with, Mordred almost didn’t wake up this morning. Apparently, last night he had forgotten to put more fuel on the three-hour fire before going to bed for ten hours, and I remembered three seconds after I clicked “sleep”. He woke up with 12% condition and 94% hypothermia risk had I slept for eleven hours, he would have died then and there. Even though the weather was good, Mordred elected to while away the day by shooting rabbits, collecting sticks, and making tea. And then, a blizzard picked the worst possible time to show up, just after dusk. Rather than freeze to death, Mordred got the most he could out of the fire, even burning Advanced Guns Guns Guns, and then tried to find his was back to the cave. Nope. Apparently, the local wolf had forgotten that he was supposed to be afraid of fishing huts, reducing Mordred to the point where he was literally among the walking dead. The Stim that he packed only bought Mordred a few extra minutes, as an aurora decided to boost the blizzard! He went outside again, only to be eaten by that same wolf. R.I.P Mordred.

Well, what now? Other than Merlin and Lady Guinevere, I think I have used all the Arthurian characters, and I want to make them last. A Mystery Lake or Mountain Town Start would be too easy, Pleasant Valley wants me dead, and I don’t know my way around Timberwolf Mountain. So, Blackrock it is.

• Upvote 2

THE TALE OF SIR PERCIVAL:
(I played last afternoon but am writing it now)

Sir Percival awoke in the ‘Keg, near the tunnel to Broken Railroad. Before dawn, during a particularly impressive aurora. 505056BB-86C5-44D1-B452-09CE321BFA82.thumb.jpeg.af19cf42aa737b2cdf42e6f30f123ce1.jpegWhere am I?
Apparently Interloper always gives you a random spawn point. After orienting himself (and losing half his warmth to -43C feels like temperature), Percival set out for the Poacher’s Camp, finding some cedar firewood on the way, and snapping some shots of the aurora:C7929C3E-AB22-43F7-8747-F8DC9ECFBE64.thumb.jpeg.153fadc024c0606ad4fdbedc8c15d252.jpegBeautiful, but eerie.
53B82CE8-ABFF-4CFB-B628-BF9379B9AB4D.thumb.jpeg.9b1bcd72ef3331b4c53bb0a65ec23403.jpegAlmost there!
In the train car, Percival found a flare, some coal, and a light shell in decent condition, as well as a book on Practical Gunsmithing! Using the flare, he lit a warmup fire and boiled some water to get his warmth back up. Then, as the sun crept up, Percival was back on his way, aiming for Mystery Lake. After avoiding both bears that guarded the route (and noticing a lack of wolves) and suffering from frostbite in his right hand, Percival finally arrived at Trappers, managing to hit this bunny on the first try:05D3B343-4DBA-46CC-8058-40BA1EE61BD2.thumb.jpeg.cd41fd2b551b267d892e7b6979b95c2c.jpeg
I will name him George, and I will - crack!
Inside was shockingly empty. There was only a tin of sardines in the shelf, a pry bar on the workbench, and in the safe was a Wool Scarf and some Painkillers. After warming up a bit, Percival thought about going to Milton, but decided against it, as he did not have enough energy for even one rope. So, he went to bed after harvesting the rabbit.

DAY 2: Percival awoke refreshed but hungry and thirsty. After drinking some water, he set out for the transition cave. There was absolutely nothing there, except for a few sticks. However, as Percival had no light sources, he probably missed everything. He presently emerged and immediately made a beeline for the first rope, picking cattails along the way. As Percival was fast running low on stamina, he elected to goat down the first cliff (leaving him with 10% condition), where the local wolf (I’ll call him Musty) waited. Percival was forced to drop his rabbit meat and made a beeline for the cave, picking rose hips and Reishi along the way. Inside the cave was salvation - a box of matches! Percival quickly lit a fire (on the first try!) and made water, then made tea with that water. He drank the rose hip tea for warmth, took a torch, and continued to the second rope, climbing it without any interference. To avoid starving to death, Percival ate two cattails and ran for the ranger station. Other than a stack of papers, there was nothing. Oh well. Percival then elected to make his way down to Orca, killing his second bunny along the way. I left off with Percy just inside the back door (took a break to try Subnautica), and we will see what he finds!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

@Leeanda

By the way, what will be your next challenge? I was thinking you might try a Kegstand or Tea Challenge.

At the moment I'm not sure. I'm in the middle of a run to get one of my missing achievements  at the moment.  Somehow I've never got all my skills up to level 5..  I'm guessing sewing!  

I was thinking of jumping into a stalker run to see how long I last but that might be a very short challenge 😁.    Tea challenge?  Care to elaborate?🙂

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

At the moment I'm not sure. I'm in the middle of a run to get one of my missing achievements  at the moment.  Somehow I've never got all my skills up to level 5..  I'm guessing sewing!  

I was thinking of jumping into a stalker run to see how long I last but that might be a very short challenge 😁.    Tea challenge?  Care to elaborate?🙂

Good luck with the sewing! I hear that’s the hardest skill to level up. 
I think that the best thing to ease you into Stalker would be setting up a run with Stalker weather and loot, and everything else how you normally do it. 

@Zaknafein has at least one episode on his Tea Challenge. Essentially the ONLY way you are allowed to invest calories is in the form of Birch Bark Tea, but other types are possible too (anyone ever tried living on only coffee?).

• Upvote 1

Just now, conanjaguar said:

I think that the best thing to ease you into Stalker would be setting up a run with Stalker weather and loot, and everything else how you normally do it. 

@Zaknafein has at least one episode on his Tea Challenge. Essentially the ONLY way you are allowed to invest calories is in the form of Birch Bark Tea, but other types are possible too (anyone ever tried living on only coffee?).

Thanks I'm going to need it. That and loads of patience,which I don't really have in this game!😁 I only got to level 4 on my 750+ day run so it's going to take a while.

If I do the stalker I want to get dropped in from a great height!😁. Except for bears, they'll be off!   

Oh I see.  I'll leave that to @Zaknafein he's a lot more qualified for that challenge 🙂.  

Maybe I could last a short while on just all kinds of tea but not just one.  

I don't think coffee gives you calories 🤔. Just a yucky taste. Hate the stuff!😁

I don't know why or how I quoted you twice but I couldn't get rid of one!😁

7 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Thanks I'm going to need it. That and loads of patience,which I don't really have in this game!😁 I only got to level 4 on my 750+ day run so it's going to take a while.

If I do the stalker I want to get dropped in from a great height!😁. Except for bears, they'll be off!   

Oh I see.  I'll leave that to @Zaknafein he's a lot more qualified for that challenge 🙂.  

Maybe I could last a short while on just all kinds of tea but not just one.  

I don't think coffee gives you calories 🤔. Just a yucky taste. Hate the stuff!😁

I don't know why or how I quoted you twice but I couldn't get rid of one!😁

Coffee does give calories, even if just a few.

As for dropping in from a great height, I’m not sure about your stature, but remember: “There’s nothin’ taller than a short paratrooper, except a tall one.”

Great read. Sir Mordred loved to live on a knife edge, and suffered from a split personality that occasionally made him to drop weapons or compulsively boil water. R.I.W. (Rest in wolf)

Looking forward to reading how the rest of the round table will fare.

Coffee does give calories, even if just a few.

As for dropping in from a great height, I’m not sure about your stature, but remember: “There’s nothin’ taller than a short paratrooper, except a tall one.”

I'm just under 5ft 8 so I'm might sprain a few things on landing😁

10 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

Great read. Sir Mordred loved to live on a knife edge, and suffered from a split personality that occasionally made him to drop weapons or compulsively boil water. R.I.W. (Rest in wolf)

Looking forward to reading how the rest of the round table will fare.

I am greatly honored that the mighty @Drifter Man should take interest in the tales of my humble knights, although Mordred actually lived on a Hatchet’s edge. And i admit, the meddling brother does make for some interesting plot twists.

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'm just under 5ft 8 so I'm might sprain a few things on landing😁

You could make a parachute (200 cloth), then harvest it, and then make 400 bandages.

Anyway, Sir Percival shall continue his journey this evening! What will he find in Orca?

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other plans; a mighty storm rages without my stronghold, and the power threatens to go out any minute.

They say the female of the species is more deadlier than the male.  

I hope she settles her tempestuous mood soon. 

• Upvote 1