The tales of King Arthur’s brave knights

conanjaguar

Hello, brand new here! I recently started playing TLD again after a long time off, and wish to offer for your perusal and ridicule these tales of King Arthur’s Knights. Many died stupidly, but one should reach the Holy Grail (and, heaven helping, 500 days!).

THE TALE OF SIR ROBIN: Sir Robin started in Blackrock’s Creek Cave. He was walking around, freezing his fingers off, collecting sticks, and in general just trying to relearn the game. Within 15 minutes, he had just come in sight of a trailer camp when he was suddenly beset by a pack of Timberwolves! Those monsters toyed with Robin by circling him and occasionally darting in to take a bite. After about 75% condition lost to their bites, and coming down with hypothermia, he arrived at the trailer, but couldn’t find the handle to the door! After another bite took Robin down to about 5%, he found the handle and stumbled across the threshold, escaping the beasts. I forgot what key activated the radial bar, so I went into inventory, found the bandages, and was about to apply them when Sir Robin died of blood loss. Some welcome back to the game!

THE TALE OF SIR LANCELOT: Sir Lancelot had actually made it to Day 2 when I thought the following equation equaled “full stomach”: (By the way, this was on TWM, just 1 rope left until the cabin)

Stalker difficulty+Blizzard coming+Hatchet+some firewood+lone wolf. Nope. I think the wolf would have bled to death after I fought it off, but it sprained both my wrists and an ankle! When the blizzard hit, I tried to start a fire to warm up, but there was nowhere to do it. I bandaged one wrist and tried to make another bandage, but had no cloth. So, Lancelot froze to death while trying to tear up his socks.

THE TALE OF SIR BRANDON:

No, not that Brandon!

Brandon started in Desolation Point and had survived for about 4 days. He was constantly hungry until he found a revolver beside the dead man on the catwalk in Hibernia. Since he had stockpiled about 30 bullets, he went and shot a wolf, intending to feast. Unfortunately, the wolf’s friends were now very angry. They would not let Brandon cook the meat in peace, constantly charging, only to be fended off by an (inaccurate) revolver shot apiece. Except for one. With Brandon now at 20-ish% condition, he tried to make it back to his fire, but another wolf jumped at him. It was a perfect opportunity for a shot, the wolf was in his sights, and then… click. The 26% condition revolver had jammed, and Brandon was eaten.

THE TALE OF SIR GALAHAD: After a good start in Mystery Lake, Galahad made his way to Forlorn Muskeg and then to Broken Railroad, despite a few minor incidents such as a wolf eating his pants in Broken Railroad. He returned from Broken Railroad, desperate to make it to the warm Poacher’s Camp fire barrel. Unfortunately, he stumbled across five(!) wolves and a bear (off in the distance), with only one torch and about 60% condition. He was eaten.

THE TALE OF SIR GAWAIN:

Sir Gawain was also vanilla Stalker, starting in Mountain Town. He was dropped into the frozen wood lot by the Gas Station, in good weather but with daylight limited. He plodded up to the Ranger Station in hopes of finding a rifle, and maybe ski boots. Nada. Not even soda in the fridge. He did find a cleaning kit and some snacks, then slept when the sun went down, and was awakened during cold weather, and during an aurora. Glad I slept for just three hours. After four tries, Gawain built a fire in the oven to make about 3L of water and warm up until the aurora was over, but after that, the fire was running dangerously low. Gawain spent the rest of the night getting 20 or so sticks, and then slept for two hours, after getting a knife from the dead guy at the picnic pavilion.

DAY 2: Gawain woke up in somewhat foggy and cold weather. He made his way down to the town, killing a rabbit along the way. As Gawain entered Milton, he was greeted by a pack of wolves, probably intent on the rabbit he carried. With just a single flare, Gawain had to hop in between cars and shacks, and found a 30% rifle with three bullets in the front seat of one of the green cars. As the wolves were still outside, Gawain cleaned his new toy, and, full of confidence, searched the rest of the shacks on the way to Grey Mother’s. The RNG for freezers and ovens was favorable for Gawain, as, by the time he got to Grey Mother’s, he had picked up:

1 rancid rabbit meat (soon cooked to Gamey status), 1 cooked Lake Whitefish,
1 raw gamey Deer Meat (soon cooked), and he harvested his rabbit, leaving the pelt and guts to cure. Upon arrival at Grey Mother’s (with a wolf breathing down his neck), Gawain gave the place a quick once-over. Behind the cloth in the junk room, there was a box of Rifle ammo and some books (I think there was one skill book among them). And, almost best of all, in the upstairs bedroom, he found a Cowichan Sweater. Oh yeah. Since the Quiet Apocalypse shrinks all men into dwarfs, this should fit.

Gawain then ate some grub and settled down for the night, and I settled down to think about what we should to do next.

RUMINATIONS: Hm. Gawain is in a pretty good situation. The highlight of the day was finding TWO hatchets in Grey Mother’s woodshed 🎄🤯🪓. I think I will loot the rest of Milton, then go to the Paradise Meadows farmstead. However, I will probably have to clean the rifle up to at least 50% before taking my chances with the wolves. Then we should be able to start on making a coat, and there is usually a maple sapling behind the farm, and sometimes a heavy hammer in the shed (garage?). Also looking forward to bagging my first bear. 🐻🩸🔫.

DAY 3: Gawain looted the rest of Grey Mother’s house and headed over to the bank. The RNG there was really crappy. Just a couple of sodas, a cup each of tea and coffee, and some cash. He took his time picking the lock on the safe in the vault (no dead burglar or crowbar), and was rewarded by cash and a single rifle bullet. From there, Gawain left town for Paradise Meadows, making a small backup stash of stuff at the shed by the Old Schoolhouse.

Getting to the house was… problematic. Gawain stumbled across Betty and Bob (what I named the twin farm wolves, Bruno and Rufus hadn’t come yet), with almost no stamina, and freezing. He got on the opposite side of the fence from them, and lined up his shot. Bob had noticed Gawain, and immediately entered attack mode. There was just enough stamina left in the aim bar to swing the rifle around and pull the trigger just as Bob crested the snowdrift. Probably due either to the choppiness of the game or my renowned inaccuracy in just about every non-FPS, I missed, and the wolf jumped atop Gawain. Surprisingly, he was relatively unhurt. Apparently the wolf had not bitten him, and it ran off, bleeding. Gawain stooped, and saw his bullet hole in the snowdrift, just ½” (real life scale) below where the wolf’s head crested it. After searching the shed and tractor, it was determined that the key had not spawned in either of those places. Fortunately, it was in the blue truck and Gawain was able to enter the house. He made a beeline for the bedroom, too tired to search, and slept an hour to warm up and refresh the sleepy eye. By now it was almost dark, so Gawain finished up his search of the house and went to bed, finding some canned food, but little else of value except for two more rifle bullets.

DAY 4: A piece of wolf meat for breakfast, and then Gawain set out for Paradise Meadows. Upon arrival, it was still early, so Gawain and I decided to go kill a wolf. Continuing our poor aim, the second wolf I had shot was unharmed, and engaged Gawain in melee. Like a true knight, Gawain fought off the wolf with one of his hatchets, and then tracked it down, finding it a few hours later by Grey Mother’s House. Despite some difficulties (slipping on a snowdrift and spraining everything!) Gawain built a fire and harvested the wolf, taking the remains inside  Grey Mother’s house to cook all five pieces of meat and drop the pelt and guts. 

That annoying little adventure with the wolf had taken almost all day, and our now well fed Gawain slept soundly in Grey Mother’s guest bedroom.

DAY 5: Gawain woke up early. However, there was fog, so he fixed up his Cowichan sweater to “New” status. Much of that day was occupied in a wolf hunting excursion and in organizing the loot. Of note is the wolf hunt, undertaken late that afternoon, and not even intentional! Gawain had gone out to the shed to retrieve the hacksaw, when a wolf barked at him. He ran into a corner of the shed with his rifle and waited for the wolf to come. When it entered, Gawain was ready, as was I. I had cunningly changed the aim key so that aiming would not shift my aim a centimeter to the right and result in a miss, and had lowered almost all the settings to reduce choppiness. Metagaming, I know, but I was determined to bag this wolf. Just as the wolf came through the door, he was shot.

He was cut up and his meat stashed, and then I got a hankering for a rabbit. Oh, what a hankering! Gawain saw two rabbits in the yard, when a wolf attacked. Only not him, but one of the rabbits. Gawain winged him (aim was terrible), and the wolf ran to attack another rabbit. The second shot did not miss, and the wolf fell dead. Two wolves and two rabbits in one day!

DAY 6: Most of today was spent cooking all that meat from yesterday, as well as bagging yet another wolf. I don’t remember quite how, but Gawain ended up spending the night at Grey Mother’s.

Day 7: Well, here is where Cowichan went bye bye, as well as most of Gawain’s other clothes. After waking up, Gawain went to loot the Gas Station. I was still getting used to the RNG of Stalker, but the lack of supplies was a disappointment. The most I found was 2 Storm Lanterns and a bit of canned food. It was the trip back that was trouble. Gawain must have been jumped by four wolves on the way, and since I didn’t want to waste precious bullets, so he fought them off with his hatchet. There was harm done to both the wolves’ furs, and Gawain’s attire. He looked ridiculous in a sweater, no gloves, ripped pants, and a fleece cowl. And, to add to the fun, Gawain got hungry almost to Paradise Meadows. So… radial bar up, eat the 70% condition sardines… “Oh, what a crappy way to die. I just wanna die!” Really? Someone shut down that factory. So, Gawain wandered around the riverbed to pick Reishi Mushrooms and then made tea up at the hill cabin. He then said his prayers (very fervently) and went to bed. To my surprise, he woke up again.

DAY 8: Gawain went down to Paradise Meadows, and found a dead wolf on the way, and built a fire to harvest it. Somehow, he stepped outside the circle of heat to get at the guts, and rapidly froze himself down to 30% condition. As if that was not enough, Gawain got hungry while harvesting (losing Well Fed), and ate a chocolate bar… and got his second dose of food poisoning. Argh! Lucky Gawain had picked four Reishi Mushrooms, as he had not found any antibiotics, so he made a second tea, chugged it, and was heading back to the house… when another wolf jumped him. In an interesting state of affairs, Gawain brought the rifle around and pulled the trigger apparently as soon as the wolf engaged him in a struggle. The wolf fell dead, but Gawain was knocked on the ground, and yelled as if the wolf had actually engaged him in a struggle. He then got back up, uninjured, and made a “dash” for the house, just as the sleepy eye hit 0%. Gawain staggered for the house, losing condition by the minute, until he finally collapsed on the bed and slept for 10 hours. Fortunately, he woke up again!

RUMINATIONS: Well, dang. That was a rough session. It must have been six wolves in two game-days! I hope those wolf pelts cure soon; running around in a thin sweater isn’t exactly good for the digestion. With only two rifle bullets left, if I’m going to do any Bear hunting, it will have to be soon. I think I will make my way down to the old church and see what I find, then maybe move on to Mystery Lake if I can’t find anything else here.

DAY 9: Weeeellll… those ruminations will have to ruminate some more. Gawain crafted a snare in his shed, and then placed it near the fence where we had seen rabbits before. The remainder of the day was preoccupied with cooking that massive haul of wolf meat (over 12 pieces!) and in finishing the Frontier skill book.

DAY 10: Gawain woke up bright and early, then set out to investigate what the crows were circling over down at the river. Or so he thought. Bruno and Rufus were in a foul mood today, and each took a turn mauling Gawain (who shot them once and missed). Gawain patched himself up and spent most of the rest of the day inside doing chores. He did find a rabbit in the snare. Just one more and we can make gloves, or even a hat! Anyway, it was past bedtime after chores were completed, so Gawain drank a cup of tea and went to bed.

DAY 11: Gawain woke up feeling much better. His superhuman healing abilities had not failed him. After rolling out of bed, a shocked Gawain noticed a rifle bullet laying on the floor. Hallelujah! Click-clack. Now we’re butch. Gawain went outside on the porch and threw a piece of moldy meat out to Rufus. Rufus was coming to check it out, I had a good bead, when, BUMP! My brother bumped my elbow and caused the bullet to ricochet off the fence. Almost cursing, Gawain enjoyed the nice weather until Rufus came to visit again. But, Bruno came instead. He was in the act of trying to climb over the railing when a .303 slug caught him right between the eyes. With a pathetic howl and spurt of blood, Bruno fell dead.

Rejoicing, Gawain quartered Bruno, but Rufus was coming back! Gawain snatched up the meat, then went inside and cooked it. With all that meat came Cooking and Carcass Harvesting Level 2.

RUMINATIONS: Actually, Gawain still has his Cowichan! With easily a week’s supply of wolf meat and water, he can hole up for a bit if necessary, but not long enough if he catches intestinal parasites. However, he used his last bullet on Bruno. With a Survival Bow in the works, we just need arrowheads and feathers, and that is a long way away. Having 20 revolver cartridges and no revolver is aggravating, to say the least. We will have to go on a mushroom hunt at some point, because there are still no antibiotics.

• Upvote 3

Wow, the Admin noticed already?! Impressive. Either they have the help of AI or are very dedicated. Anyway, highlights from yesterday’s session:

DAY 12: Gawain awoke to the smell of cured rabbit furs... three of them, in fact. He went out the door, enjoying the lovely weather, and strolled to the shed, as Bruno and Rufus were not around. He crafted the hat, then spent the rest of the day crafting four more Snares. He set them, and dashed inside after throwing a rock at Rufus from the porch.

DAY 13: Gawain ate a piece of wolf meat for breakfast, then went around back to collect the five pieces of cedar wood, jerrycan, mountaineering rope, and a precious whetstone! Gawain then checked the snares, finding two rabbits! Unfortunately, Rufus was still grieving over the death of his friend, and, smelling the rabbits, came and mauled Gawain... thrice! Will that wolf ever learn his lesson? Although the third mauling was my fault. Gawain complacently paused on the porch to throw a rock at Rufus before entering, and Rufus graciously demonstrated that he had learned to climb stairs! Bleeding from two wounds, Gawain staggered across the threshold, an dran for the cloth stash to make bandages. It was close, with Gawain down to 20% condition by the time bandages were applied. As there was still lots of time in the day, Gawain sharpened the hatchet, so to speak, and wandered around breaking stuff. In the evening, he built a roaring fire in the stove and harvested the rabbits while waiting for some ruined wolf meat to cook up to moldy status. Then he drank a cup of tea and went to bed, and I will ruminate some more.

RUMINATIONS: Well, this is not going that bad, but not too great either. With all those Snares, there should be a fairly constant supply of rabbits. Which is good, as the wolf meat supply is almost out. However, something will have to be done about Rufus, or Gawain is not going anywhere, even to the old Schoolhouse’s shed to pick up his stashed hatchet, let alone to Mystery Lake. I think that it might be a good idea to deliberately engage Rufus in a struggle and hunt him down, just to get him out of the way. Then maybe I can loot the church and the radio tower so I can move on to Mystery Lake.

• Upvote 2

DAY 14: This is it. No more piddling about the bush. Today, either Rufus goes, or Gawain goes. Fight to the death. No quarter asked and none given. Let’s rock!

Ok, I think that pep talk should fire Gawain up to success. Now to the task at hand. First, Gawain sharpened his hatchet up to 80ish%. Like a true knight, Gawain donned his birthday armor, hefted they hatchet and went out to brave the cold. However, there was a blizzard that lasted until the afternoon, so Gawain fixed up stuff and made bandages. A funny moment here was when Gawain constantly complained about the weight of wolf steaks while organizing the meat stash (apparently I had six more pieces of meat than I thought). He went out in the afternoon to see snow falling… and two wolves. Apparently Rufus called his cousin Brutus, and they both took a turn attacking Gawain. However, they were fought off without much damage to Gawain’s birthday armor, and after he dropped his rabbits, Gawain set out to track Rufus, who had fled to the right, past the woodsheds. Exhausted and freezing, and wary from spotting a moose around, Gawain eventually found Rufus’ freezing corpse in the wood lot by the Orca Gas Station, as well as a ravaged deer with a single steak’s worth left on it. He collapsed in the bathroom bed and dozed off.

DAY 15:

All Gawain could think about was food as he watched wolf meat and venison grilling on the fire barrel, which went out in the middle of the process due to brain fog, costing Gawain another match, but getting Fire Starting Level 2. Gawain was determined to get to at least the radio tower, but things changed our plans. Furry things, with lots of teeth. Three wolves in a row jumped Gawain, one jumpscaring me as Gawain turned a corner and my sees strayed to see what my brothers were playing. Gawain was down to 25% health, but his clothes were still in decent condition. He used all the bandages and painkillers he had packed in patching up his wounds, and his day/night cycle was seriously upset as he slept for 12 hours after drinking an herbal tea to heal himself and cheating food poisoning by eating 22% condition dog food and a 69% tin of sardines.

RUMINATIONS: Well, that session did not accomplish any of the objectives I set, other than killing Rufus. In tomorrow’s session, Gawain will make it to that blasted radio tower or die trying. From there I can then go and check out the old church, and maybe make it to the ravine crash site and see if the deer carcass is there. I can also break down those crates for reclaimed wood and make another half-dozen snares… if Gawain makes it back to Paradise Meadows alive. 

By the way, if anyone knows where rifle bullets can spawn in the Mountain Town Region, please say so! Save a life!

Today the tale of Sir Gawain ends...

DAY 16: Today was beautiful weather, but very, very cold indeed. Shrugging his shoulders and looking for wolves, Gawain went down to the ravine crash site, finding two packs of beef jerky on the way in an unsearched truck, as well as a tin of sardines. As Gawain is allergic to sardines, he just took them and promised not to touch them. Halfway to the crash site, Gawain encountered a wolf who chewed him up pretty badly. Anyway, by the time Gawain made it to the crash site, he was freezing, exhausted, and chewed up, but weighed down with 128 rose hips! He was too tired to think straight as he crossed the log after cutting up the deer, but I begged him to PLEASE WALK STRAIGHT as he crossed the log down to the crash site. I let out the breath I had been holding when Gawain finally stumbled into the cave, and was pleasantly surprised to find a brand-new revolver with two bullets in the backpack inside. Gawain ate the deer, then slept a bit and scavenged the crash site, but then got tired and went to sleep again.

DAY 17: Today was absolutely beautiful weather, with a feels like temp of +1C! Gawain looted the rest of the crash site, finding ragged military pants and numerous other goodies. What should have been a fairly short trip took all day, so... Gawain got caught at night, exhausted and overencumbered with food poisoning, in a blizzard. He had an 11 hour fire of +80C, and slept for 10 hours. The fire went out… and I will try again.

• Upvote 2

Argh. Maybe I’m not cut out for Stalker. Trying again...

DAY 1: Mordred was dropped in the wood lot in Mystery Lake with no food, water, or clothing. He quickly grabbed the pot and hatchet from the corpse in the ruined cabin and set out to search the trailers, breaking every shelf to ensure he missed nothing. From the trailers, Mordred found: 

A storm lantern

Scrap metal

Tools

34 Reclaimed Wood

Two hoodies and a pair of mittens

An energy bar

A can of pork & beans

Advanced Guns, Guns, Guns!

One each of Summit and Orange Soda. All in all, a very nice haul. Mordred then boiled 3L of water and went to bed.

DAY 2: Mordred set out in the direction of the train tracks, hoping to reach the Trapper’s Cabin. However, he came across a pack of five wolves that were stalking him shortly after passing the tram car (getting a knife, a candy bar, and 10 revolver bullets), so he ran and hid in the red train car, finding a dead guy with Practical Gunsmithing and the Frontier Shooting Guide, as well as a single flare. I imagine the wolves chased him to the train, and he settled down to read until they went away. After the wolf gave up, Mordred set out in search of warmth. However, another wolf followed him all the way to the Camp Office. Desperate for food, Mordred chased the wolf away and quartered it, losing half his condition to cold. The wolf chased him up the porch, but got the door slammed in its nose. Mordred cooked his meat and went to bed.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:20 PM, conanjaguar said:

DAY 14: This is it. No more piddling about the bush. Today, either Rufus goes, or Gawain goes. Fight to the death. No quarter asked and none given. Let’s rock!

Ok, I think that pep talk should fire Gawain up to success. Now to the task at hand. First, Gawain sharpened his hatchet up to 80ish%. Like a true knight, Gawain donned his birthday armor, hefted they hatchet and went out to brave the cold. However, there was a blizzard that lasted until the afternoon, so Gawain fixed up stuff and made bandages. A funny moment here was when Gawain constantly complained about the weight of wolf steaks while organizing the meat stash (apparently I had six more pieces of meat than I thought). He went out in the afternoon to see snow falling… and two wolves. Apparently Rufus called his cousin Brutus, and they both took a turn attacking Gawain. However, they were fought off without much damage to Gawain’s birthday armor, and after he dropped his rabbits, Gawain set out to track Rufus, who had fled to the right, past the woodsheds. Exhausted and freezing, and wary from spotting a moose around, Gawain eventually found Rufus’ freezing corpse in the wood lot by the Orca Gas Station, as well as a ravaged deer with a single steak’s worth left on it. He collapsed in the bathroom bed and dozed off.

DAY 15:

All Gawain could think about was food as he watched wolf meat and venison grilling on the fire barrel, which went out in the middle of the process due to brain fog, costing Gawain another match, but getting Fire Starting Level 2. Gawain was determined to get to at least the radio tower, but things changed our plans. Furry things, with lots of teeth. Three wolves in a row jumped Gawain, one jumpscaring me as Gawain turned a corner and my sees strayed to see what my brothers were playing. Gawain was down to 25% health, but his clothes were still in decent condition. He used all the bandages and painkillers he had packed in patching up his wounds, and his day/night cycle was seriously upset as he slept for 12 hours after drinking an herbal tea to heal himself and cheating food poisoning by eating 22% condition dog food and a 69% tin of sardines.

RUMINATIONS: Well, that session did not accomplish any of the objectives I set, other than killing Rufus. In tomorrow’s session, Gawain will make it to that blasted radio tower or die trying. From there I can then go and check out the old church, and maybe make it to the ravine crash site and see if the deer carcass is there. I can also break down those crates for reclaimed wood and make another half-dozen snares… if Gawain makes it back to Paradise Meadows alive. 

By the way, if anyone knows where rifle bullets can spawn in the Mountain Town Region, please say so! Save a life!

I know it's a bit late for Gawain now but ,rifle ammo,possibly paradise meadow farm,grey mother's ,the vehicle behind the post office and the park office .

Just now, conanjaguar said:

Thanks @Leeanda. I appreciate it, but Gawain had picked up bullets at all those places. Hopefully Mordred will do better. Personal challenge: how close to death can I get a day?

No problem.   It tough but you'll get to 500days so hang in there.🤞

If the wolves are the main problem there are some good videos on how to deal with them.  

But it does get easier ,it's just learning where everything is . It might feel like it'll take that long but you'll pick things up pretty quickly I'm sure.. 

If you're still struggling though there's always plenty of videos and threads  that will help. If not just ask ,everyone's always ready to help out!🤞

18 hours ago, Leeanda said:

If the wolves are the main problem there are some good videos on how to deal with them.  

But it does get easier ,it's just learning where everything is . It might feel like it'll take that long but you'll pick things up pretty quickly I'm sure.. 

If you're still struggling though there's always plenty of videos and threads  that will help. If not just ask ,everyone's always ready to help out!🤞

I wouldn’t mind the wolves so much if I could figure out the correct way to aim rifles, revolvers, flares, torches, rocks, bows, flare guns, etc. etc. etc. As it is, they have to be right on top of me for me to score a hit... sometimes.
That is why I want a shotgun...

12 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

I wouldn’t mind the wolves so much if I could figure out the correct way to aim rifles, revolvers, flares, torches, rocks, bows, flare guns, etc. etc. etc. As it is, they have to be right on top of me for me to score a hit... sometimes.
That is why I want a shotgun...

I know it's a bit of a waste of ammo but why don't you practice on the target at the barn in PV? Or spray paint on a tree will work as a target.    The flare gun is really only good for close range anyway, and it's more likely to scare off  than kill a bear or moose.   

If you watch some gameplay videos you'll see how it's done with the sights etc.. 

Edited by Leeanda

7 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

If you watch some gameplay videos you'll see how it's done with the sights etc.. 

Like this? This is from my brother’s Voyageur run. It seems inaccuracy runs in the family.611FC1B4-0CFA-4B44-93EC-35466D096757.thumb.jpeg.e7fc0bc1e13129271795f21f2774f44a.jpeg

Anyway, here are Mordred’s first ruminations.

RUMINATIONS: I think that, weather and wildlife permitting, Mordred will loot some of the cabins and go fishing if we find a tackle. Fishing for three hours without a fire and then getting chewed up by a wolf seems like a good way to fulfill the “near-death” challenge requirements… however, I won’t do anything too stupid. Running deer into wolves seems like a reliable, if risky, source of food and clothing. I should do it more often.

Kind of hard to accomplish for me. Ours is an older PC, so it runs rather choppy. It would also help if I wasn’t so afraid to waste a bullet that I wait until the critter is in my face. It seems counterintuitive, but I have a pretty good success rate when shooting rabbits.

More Mordred!

DAY 3: Mordred ate a piece of venison, broke some stuff, and set out on a grand tour of the fishing huts and cabins. However, he forgot that he was carrying the 40 or so pieces of reclaimed wood! Big mistake. The first few cans of food he picked up put Mordred over the limit, so he walked around the lake. This was INCREDIBLY stressful for me, as there was always a wolf shadowing him, and he was always at hypothermia risk, because he was walking at a snail’s pace in -20 degree temperatures. However, even after getting jumped by a wolf, Mordred was undeterred from his quest of looting all the cabins and fishing huts, drinking coffee like crazy to stay awake. He ended up having to sleep in one of the vacation cabins.

Total condition lost: 60%

DAY 4:

Nerves still jittery from the caffeine, Mordred set out for the return trek to the Camp Office. He stopped by a few of the fishing huts to warm up and hide from the friendly-ish wolf that stalked him the entire trip, but never quite got around to attacking him. If Mordred meets that wolf again, I will call him Rusty. Maybe he can be tamed. Anyway, Rusty stalked Mordred the entire way back to the Camp Office, and Mordred was half-dead from cold by the time he entered. As there was plenty of daylight left when I saved, Mordred will now ruminate after organizing his food and breaking more furniture.

Total condition lost: 50%

The food stash. The sardines are for you, @Leeanda.

31CCADC0-A201-43C4-A457-D7BD703B2A78.thumb.jpeg.09899c67e0ef6050f9286fe8b7c0f50e.jpeg

RUMINATIONS: Mordred has made quite the haul of food, so he should be able to stay indoors without much trouble if a blizzard hits. However, something will have to be done about these wolves. I think Mordred will make his way either to the Trapper’s Cabin or Carter Hydro in search of a rifle. Either way, it will be a long and risky trek, and I will not repeat Gawain’s mistake of getting lost at night. Perhaps it can wait until tomorrow. I must say, this personal “near-death daily” challenge is quite interesting. It seems that if you look for an excuse to get hurt, you won’t…

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

DAY 5: Mordred packed some canned food (all the venison was gone by now) and set out from the Camp Office in search of the Trapper’s Cabin, to no avail, as I got lost and had to return to the railroad tracks after making a quick warmup fire. However, as soon as Mordred got back to the tracks, he encountered the pack of four wolves that had chased him back on Day 2. However, due to Mordred’s evil reputation, only Rusty was brave enough to chase him, but he was dedicated! He followed Mordred from the derailment all the way to the tram car, where a funny incident occurred.
Rusty actually stuck his head through the door and tried to teleport through, but Mordred grabbed a torch from another warmup fire and threw it at Rusty’s face. To my surprise, it connected, and Rusty ran away, yelping in pain, allowing Mordred to leave the tram. Mordred then followed the train tracks until he arrived at Carter Hydro, exhausted and freezing, with Rusty back on his trail. In the trailers, Mordred found a balaclava and long wool scarf, both new, then set out for the dam itself. Not wanting to risk getting fried by the wires during an aurora, Mordred made a beeline for the central chamber and stayed there all night, keeping a fire going all night because of the cold.

RUMINATIONS: Mordred came up to Carter Hydro to find a rifle and food. So far he has found neither, but there is still a can of condensed milk and a jug of maple syrup to keep him going. If anyone knows where the rifle can spawn, the help will be repaid by a box of matches and a can of peaches. 
Anyway, I think tomorrow Mordred will finish looting the dam and try to find Trapper’s again. I NEED that rifle!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I’m trying to write all this up in a hurry after some technical difficulties. Here is...

DAY 7: Mordred was determined to make it to the Forestry Lookout tower today, and came close to dying trying. He left Carter Hydro early in the morning to heavy snowfall and high wind, not quite a blizzard but close. And he was still tired. Argh! That late-night looting of the dam and subsequent naps have trashed our day-night cycle. As soon as Mordred opened the gate, Rusty was back on his trail. He was distracted when Mordred dropped the deer hide he had been carrying, and we were able to get away safely. After a long and tiring walk to the trailers, Mordred was again overencumbered and exhausted. Why? Simple. 7 liters of lamp fuel and 4 kilos of skill books are HEAVY! Mordred dropped the skill books and continued on to the tower, snapping both wrists and his ankle in a hours-long climb before finding the path. However, when I finally got up, I discovered that it was the destroyed lookout. Ugh. Apparently Mordred got confused during his bone-snapping climb. He made the best of it though, finding a Polaroid picture, climbing rope, condensed milk, two deer steaks, and… thank you, RNG! Enough firewood to make it through the night! And a good thing too, as a blizzard was in the works. Mordred’s last words before hitting the sack in front of a roaring fire were “Can you eat trees?”

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

DAY 8: Mordred awoke in time to pull a few torches from the fire. He then climbed down the rope to save time, but not stamina. Off in the distance was the intact lookout tower, and Mordred set out for it in search of food. It was a fairly short walk, but our wimpy Mordred was exhausted again by the time he got there. And... the weather promised a blizzard, s Mordred just broke stuff and made tea.

total condition lost: 20%

DAY 9: From the Forestry Lookout, Mordred could see the Derailment. Starving and daydreaming about his stash of food at the office, he set out. The initially beautiful weather quickly devolved into a blizzard, however, and Mordred was soon lost. However, by blind luck, he did eventually manage to stumble into the Camp Office, where he made water and broke stuff. By the time he was done, the blizzard had died off, but it was still cold. So, with directions given by my brother Stefan (huge shoutout by the way), Mordred managed to find the Trappers Cabin. There was a snare, lantern, knife, another stim, some ammo, accelerant, and cash… BUT NO RIFLE!!! Ugh. After searching fruitlessly for that thing and flipping through the Frontier Shooting Guide, Mordred cooked peaches to get Cooking Level 2 and went to sleep.

Total condition lost: 33%

DAY 10: Today was a wasted day. Mordred was going to move the junk from the Office to Trappers’, but… something always comes up. He got lost and distracted in a quest to pick up sticks and birch bark, and had to make his way back. To complicate things more, Rusty decided to stop by, and he brought some friends. As Mordred was exhausted, he had to slooooowwlllyyy worm his way back to the cabin, picking up his venison. As there was still lots of time in the day, Mordred took a quick nap, sharpened the hatchet, read, and broke stuff to pass the time.

Total Condition lost: 10%

RUMINATIONS: I need a rifle (twitch). I NEED A RIFLE! So, to that end, Mordred will go to Milton. If there is no rifle anywhere there, I will personally make him jump off a cliff. Life is not worth living without the smell of gunpowder now and then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Did you try the places suggested?  There should be at least one rifle there.

Do you mean in Milton? Mordred hasn’t gone there yet, but he will today. There was no rifle in the train, in the dam, or in Trappers. Have I missed it? Probably. Do I have the patience to look for it? Probably not...

• Upvote 1

Just now, conanjaguar said:

Do you mean in Milton? Mordred hasn’t gone there yet, but he will today. There was no rifle in the train, in the dam, or in Trappers. Have I missed it? Probably. Do I have the patience to look for it? Probably not...

In mystery I meant. Not one at the broken tower either?     Sounds like me with the patience😊