Laptop or PC recommendations.

Can anyone recommend a good but lowish priced laptop or PC ? As long as I can play TLD on it I'm not too bothered about much else🙂. I'm not very good with tech knowledge but any advice would be appreciated.   

I would also like to be able to use a controller rather than keyboard or mouse. 

Thanks.

• Like 2

My laptop is at least 4 years old now, and manages to run The Long Dark at an average of about 60 fps (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less)...  Perhaps not the best, but certainly runs well enough on "ultra" settings to maintain a decent enough frame rate.  This (at least for me) eliminated difficulties with the struggle mechanics due to input lag that was apparently caused by low frame rate on my previous hardware.

I imagine my particular gaming laptop has likely dropped in price, considering it's an older model now.

Here are the specifics:

Asus - Republic of Gaming
ASUS GL702VM
Windows 10 Home; Intel Core i7-6700HQ @2.6GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I hope this is somewhat helpful, or at least maybe gives you a place to start from when looking for an upgrade/replacement for your current hardware.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Thank you. It's very helpful.  I'm using an Xbox s at the moment. I already get lagging,if that's what you meant? Sorry my tech knowledge really is terrible.🙂  But I'd rather go with a laptop so I'll look into it. 

• Like 1

The lag I was getting on my previous hardware was specifically a problem for wildlife struggles.  I dug up a previous post from years ago that described it pretty well, so I'll just quote it here: 

On 5/19/2019 at 2:25 PM, ManicManiac said:

I can't offer much advice for console players... but for PC, I can say that if you have a situation where you have low frame rate I can confirm that it makes the struggle mechanics very very difficult - to the point of being a losing proposition every time.

If this sounds familiar (and you are a PC player), then frame rate might be a contributing factor for you.  You can try tuning the graphic settings down a bit, it may not look as nice but if you can get your frame rate above 60-70 FPS things should work a lot better.  I had two different games behave like this... on my old laptop my hardware was easily 5 years old, and my frame rate on those two games was something like 23-32 FPS.  Turned out that with the frame rate so low, the game was basically "missing clicks" (meaning as I was tapping not all of my taps were being registered by the game).  Once I got some new hardware and improved my frame rate, suddenly struggles weren't a problem anymore and things were much more responsive.

There is my two cents, I hope it helps someone.  I know one player here was having a similar problem, and she was finally able to defeat the old bear - her temporary solution was to turn down the resolution a little and that gave her enough of a performance boost that she was able to conquer the bear before Steadfast Ranger dropped.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
[Addendum]
I didn't realize you're on console, so I suppose my particular situation might not be the most helpful for X-Box... but I still hope it's helpful for you when looking for a PC/Laptop for The Long Dark.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Can anyone recommend a good but lowish priced laptop or PC ? As long as I can play TLD on it I'm not too bothered about much else🙂. I'm not very good with tech knowledge but any advice would be appreciated.   

I would also like to be able to use a controller rather than keyboard or mouse. 

Thanks.

If it's helpful, the full list of system requirements can be found here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/The_Long_Dark/ 

Good luck!