Timeless games for the ages

Guest jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

Hello fellow survivors,

I have to admit a hard truth: sometimes I play something else than The Long Dark. And you probably do, too. Yes, I know, thinking about it shocks me just the same. But since we have gotten so far to admit our infidelities - let's talk about what to play when not play The Long Dark!

Here's are the rules: Pick a game you obviously like, that just doesn't get old - just as TLD doesn't get old, that you keep returning to time and time again, and that's just as fresh and enjoyable as it was a year, maybe years, ago. Then please give a short reason why that game does this for you.

Oh, right: just one pick, please. Leave something for the others 😉

So, my pick is:

Kerbal Space Program

KSP is amazing because it is a game so unfathomable deep in what you can learn about it that you might never actually stop learning. It makes bringing you the complexity of interplanetary space travel easy, and it simplifies things just enough so they do not require several degrees in mathematics and physics, but keep things reasonably realistic so that you get an idea of how "hard" space travel actually is. You will probably learn a thing or two about real life physics, and maybe get to appreciate modern day marvels such as GPS and satellite TV. The game does all of this with a refreshing lightheartedness and trusts the player to figure things out, hence not restricting more possibilities than absolutely necessary and giving you the reward of actually achieving things that take work. Even after half a decade of playing KSP I'm still biting my nails on a dicey atmospheric entry, and it's still amazing fun to scramble and try to solve an insoluble problem by slingshotting yourself halfway through the solar system after you screwed up that ciritcal burn and are now left with clearly not enough delta-V to make it home the easy way.

Project Zomboid is my pick.  Similar in many ways to the difficulty of interloper mode, you can die of zombie infection, normal infection, gunshot wounds, poison berries /mushrooms, bleach, getting hit by a car, falling damage, heat stroke, cold, and so on ...  It has a kind of isometric overhead view and some dated looking graphics.  That's appropriate since it first emerged as a tech demo around 2011, and I've had it on my systems almost as long as possible.  There are also superb crafting, base building, and even auto mechanic / driving possibilities.  The driving mechanics are quite good.

It's hard to say enough good things about this game.  It will even work well on older systems.

Multiplayer is rather new, and it seems to work very well.  Multiplayer has spurred an explosion in recent mod content.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/108600/Project_Zomboid/?gclid=CjwKCAjwj42UBhAAEiwACIhADica0stusaxKDr6TDEA-7uVweifA-Yb3H0fOM09-TlwTq78rR4D5ZRoC6vgQAvD_BwE

Edited by I_eat_only_wolf_meat
Steam link

On 5/18/2022 at 1:20 AM, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Project Zomboid is my pick.  Similar in many ways to the difficulty of interloper mode, you can die of zombie infection, normal infection, gunshot wounds, poison berries /mushrooms, bleach, getting hit by a car, falling damage, heat stroke, cold, and so on ...  It has a kind of isometric overhead view and some dated looking graphics.  That's appropriate since it first emerged as a tech demo around 2011, and I've had it on my systems almost as long as possible.  There are also superb crafting, base building, and even auto mechanic / driving possibilities.  The driving mechanics are quite good.

It's hard to say enough good things about this game.  It will even work well on older systems.

Multiplayer is rather new, and it seems to work very well.  Multiplayer has spurred an explosion in recent mod content.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/108600/Project_Zomboid/?gclid=CjwKCAjwj42UBhAAEiwACIhADica0stusaxKDr6TDEA-7uVweifA-Yb3H0fOM09-TlwTq78rR4D5ZRoC6vgQAvD_BwE

wow another zomboid ! yeah I play that game alot. it is one of the only good zombie survival games out there.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Welllll... if I had to pick ONE game of all our dozens...

it would be... vanilla Half Life. Multiplayer with my two brothers and dad. Watching them turn into hunks of meat under a withering laser beam is just morbidly fun, as are my Pierce’s crowbar antics.

• Upvote 1