Corpses inside the cars

Ghurcb

Okay, this suggestion is a morbid one, but why are there no dead people in the cars?
I think adding them would increase the immersion, and make the long dark more diverse without oversaturating it with content. And now, when survival and wintermute are separated, including this little change is easier than ever.

screen_cf5711e2-1391-47ad-98f7-ecc51f908a8c_hi.thumb.png.7f9e6bb059af27d5d4ae6ae2d0807645.png

• Upvote 11

Huh, somehow never noticed that cars never have bodies in them, but come to think of it you're correct. 

I guess it's rather likely that at least one person has died in a crash when the power to their car suddenly shut off. Or someone wanted to take shelter inside a car from Wildlife/weather but ended up creating their own tomb from injuries or the biting cold. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

The obvious reason was that the devs had to pick and choose what they spend their time and efforts on.  You may have noticed that there were only a certain number of different frozen corpses that we run across. 

A corpse in a vehicle would necessitate all the effort to create the corpses [unless one generic corpse was fine] then there would likely be some tweaks to game mechanics i.e. you can't pull the corpse from the car, more importantly you can't get into the car from that side/door, you can't exit the car past that corpse, etc.  

Other than that, sounds like a very reasonable idea which the devs could put into the game.  

10 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

The obvious reason was that the devs had to pick and choose what they spend their time and efforts on.  You may have noticed that there were only a certain number of different frozen corpses that we run across. 

A corpse in a vehicle would necessitate all the effort to create the corpses [unless one generic corpse was fine] then there would likely be some tweaks to game mechanics i.e. you can't pull the corpse from the car, more importantly you can't get into the car from that side/door, you can't exit the car past that corpse, etc.  

Yeah, that's why I mentioned the separation of survival and wintermute. It seems like what they would test for months before, they can now test in a week.
This idea about corpses in the cars to me feels like something out of the 2015-2017 updates. Instead of adding something new, it's about expanding on what's already there.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I said that this suggestion is morbid, but today I went to visit Bleak Inlet for the first time, and you know what? Turns out, that idea would fit the tone of the long dark quite nicely. Perfectly, I'd even say...

What is that?!!!!!

image.thumb.png.4c01191cc236bd0f19fb3c9549f888d7.png

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2022 at 2:29 PM, Ghurcb said:

And now, when survival and wintermute are separated, including this little change is easier than ever.

Lol, I just noticed that. Apparently, when wrote this, I thought that survival and wintermute were already separated.
Anyway, once they are separated, this would be a great addition to the following update.

Again, it's easy to implement (at least it seems this way), but would greatly increase the immersion and the sense of presence. You know, this is one of those little things that make the world feel so much more real.
Imagine if the long dark had no cars. If it had roads, gas stations, etc. but no cars. Players wouldn't notice. We would ask for shotguns, polar bears and so on. Because there are things that you don't see missing, until they are pointed out. The same way, it makes no sense that there are bodies everywhere but in cars. AND it would be pretty useful, as right now cars only have two containers that you can search (glove box and trunk). But people just don't see what isn't there.

To be honest, I'm surprised that this feature wasn't in the game for the last 8 years. It just feels so... natural...

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

And escape being mauled🙂

“Um... hey, lady! Could you unlock the car please? Could you move over? I have major blood loss here, and there are Timberwolves coming... oh, wait. She’s dead.

To be continued...

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Just now, conanjaguar said:

“Um... hey, lady! Could you unlock the car please? Could you move over? I have major blood loss here, and there are Timberwolves coming... oh, wait. She’s dead.

To be continued...

Lol..   there's a thought ... Not only corpses in the cars but they locked the doors before they died...  

Spend weeks looking for another set of car keys.

Edited by Leeanda

11 hours ago, Leeanda said:

It's a good idea.  As long as we can still get in and loot the front.   And escape being mauled🙂

The way I see it, if the corpse is in the driver's seat, you'd get into the other front seat, even if you enter through the driver's door. And vice versa. 

Overall, I think it should be possible to switch seats without leaving the car. That would also mean 360 look inside the car. And when you're looking back there's a prompt "switch seats". The same would happen if you look directly at the seat next to you.

PS: Wow, I'm really surprised this little suggestion got so much support. Thanks! Hinterland, take notes. 

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 1

On 5/28/2022 at 5:24 AM, Ghurcb said:

Okay, I said that this suggestion is morbid, but today I went to visit Bleak Inlet for the first time, and you know what? Turns out, that idea would fit the tone of the long dark quite nicely. Perfectly, I'd even say...

What is that?!!!!!

I think that’s a great addition idea.  It would definitely have made sense for there to be bodies in the vehicles that went over bridges, etc.  Plus the ability to loot the corpse.  
It would make finding the random notes more meaningful if they were found next to the writer. 
Imagine looting a corpse only to find a farewell note from the person’s spouse or child….

Which, I hope they add more notes to find in the updates.  It really adds to the story.  

Sleeping in the car would be awkward though…. Especially if you took their jacket or shoes from them….

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 12:24 PM, Ghurcb said:

What is that?!!!!!

He died because he didnt have NordVPN.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 7:05 AM, Semple Fi said:

Sleeping in the car would be awkward though…. Especially if you took their jacket or shoes from them….

What matters is the positive attitude! You just gotta imagine that you two are on a road trip.

Wait, can you place a lantern inside a car? The atmosphere would be wonderful. 

4 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

yes!  yes you can!  gotta love place anywhere mod.  really improves on the games existing items handling mechanic.

screen_541db2d8-c96a-4e4a-927a-086f32b149b2_hi.thumb.png.5d96844135bb9a8038ae3a80e2987f83.png

screen_105c37ce-bced-43da-9943-7dab91857b9b_hi.thumb.png.019c6bdb81edb1852187626e139df661.pngscreen_105c37ce-bced-43da-9943-7dab91857b9b_hi.thumb.png.019c6bdb81edb1852187626e139df661.png

screen_b35bca02-d22f-4b99-b343-2f70840fca11_hi.thumb.png.4e67515e69bbfc67ead15bfbf269b10a.png

That does indeed look cozy, but has some creepy possibilities.

Imagine stumbling across them at night, seeing the lights on, going for help, and finding nothing but one of your mannequins!

1 minute ago, conanjaguar said:

That does indeed look cozy, but has some creepy possibilities.

Imagine stumbling across them at night, seeing the lights on, going for help, and finding nothing but one of your mannequins!

I suppose that could be done, however it is kinda difficult in that you kind of have to assemble each component of the mannequins without having a focal point as to where those items are being placed.  Place anywhere is still never the less an outstanding mod and continues to provide me with hours of enjoyment playing the long game when it comes to staying interested.

• Upvote 1