Request - Melee All Wildlife

Ansible

Currently, it's quite possible, if you're brave, to intentionally run into wolves and use a hunting knife to start a fight with them. Win the fight, and you can cause them to run and bleed out. Then you can follow the trail and either finish them off, or wait until they bleed out all the way and die. Then you can get at that skin, guts, and all that yummy yummy wolf meat.

Why can't we do that with ALL wildlife? I'm specifically thinking especially about deer here. Let me give you an example. Due to a recent bug that I noticed with the game, sometimes wildlife gets "stuck" running in place. Well, I was in a place where I didn't have any deadly weapons on me, just my flare gun to try to "scare away" dangerous wildlife. However, I came across a deer that got stuck running from me, and just for fun, I decided to shoot the deer in the booty with the flare gun. It was HILARIOUS:

image.thumb.png.ab29669db815577cb9662f38ec37449a.png

image.thumb.png.9e29460587e627f11ce0673111350ff4.png

But that really got me to thinking - even without that recent bug, if we could get a deer to LITERALLY run into our "hitbox"... I've had it happen many times before where a deer got confused, turned around, and ran right into me... why can't the game invoke the same kind of screen that a wolf encounter does... where we have a chance to stab the deer with the knife we have on us?

I realize that the game isn't meant to be 100% realistic, but honestly? If a deer is running right INTO me... why can't I hold out a knife and stabbity stab it?

I'm thinking of the cases I've had a lot of times where a melee weapon are all I have, I have spent hours in game looking for a gun without success and I'm starving. I want to Tarzan that stuff and stab me some wildlife!!!

What say you?

Edited by Ansible
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ansible said:

Currently, it's quite possible, if you're brave, to intentionally run into wolves and use a hunting knife to start a fight with them. Win the fight, and you can cause them to run and bleed out. Then you can follow the trail and either finish them off, or wait until they bleed out all the way and die. Then you can get at that skin, guts, and all that yummy yummy wolf meat.

Why can't we do that with ALL wildlife? I'm specifically thinking especially about deer here. Let me give you an example. Due to a recent bug that I noticed with the game, sometimes wildlife gets "stuck" running in place. Well, I was in a place where I didn't have any deadly weapons on me, just my flare gun to try to "scare away" dangerous wildlife. However, I came across a deer that got stuck running from me, and just for fun, I decided to shoot the deer in the booty with the flare gun. It was HILARIOUS:

image.thumb.png.ab29669db815577cb9662f38ec37449a.png

image.thumb.png.9e29460587e627f11ce0673111350ff4.png

But that really got me to thinking - even without that recent bug, if we could get a deer to LITERALLY run into our "hitbox"... I've had it happen many times before where a deer got confused, turned around, and ran right into me... why can't the game invoke the same kind of screen that a wolf encounter does... where we have a chance to stab the deer with the knife we have on us?

I realize that the game isn't meant to be 100% realistic, but honestly? If a deer is running right INTO me... why can't I hold out a knife and stabbity stab it?

I'm thinking of the cases I've had a lot of times where a melee weapon are all I have, I have spent hours in game looking for a gun without success and I'm starving. I want to Tarzan that stuff and stab me some wildlife!!!

What say you?

I'd prefer it if devs improved the wildlife AI so that you can't get so close to a deer.

When a wolf attacks you, you use your melee weapons in self defence. And that makes sence. The interaction was initiated by the wolf, and fighting is the only choice you have. But would it make sence for the same interaction to start when a deer runs into you? "Okay, apparently, I'm stabbing that deer now for some reason..." 

Or do you want "Kill" prompt to appear when you are close to a deer?

image.thumb.png.148c49a9256cd6eaa1a39e49179bd14a.png

Edited by Ghurcb

This is a good idea. I'd like to be able to sneak up on a deer and kill it by hand. However, if this were to be implemented, the deer AI would need improved. It would be too easy as it is since deer will run through you if you scare them. They would also need a larger detection radius so it would be impossible to get one on the ice at Coastal Highway, for example. 

I'd be nice to have an option to fight back against the bear, but it should be a risk. If you fight against a bear, it will only anger the bear more to the point where it will fight you until your dead, unless you fight hard enough to scare it. I don't think you'd be able to fight against the moose though. 

• Upvote 1

The Bear Spear has the best potential for this. The spear has been called "The King of Weapons" for its sheer versatility, and difficulty to defend against. You can brace it against a charge to allow an enemy to impale themselves (this is how it's used in Episode 2). You can thrust to stab or swing to slash. You can invert it and strike with the butt for less lethal attacks. You can throw it like a javelin.

It would stand to reason that adding an alt-fire mode to perform a melee strike with the spear would be the way to go. Vs. Bears or Moose, you set the spear for impalement. Win three struggles, the bear/moose dies. Against wolves or deer, you instead perform a thrust or at just the right time. It only works in a very short range, like within 1m. A thrust that hits is an instant kill.

• Upvote 2

On 5/7/2022 at 10:10 AM, Ghurcb said:

I'd prefer it if devs improved the wildlife AI so that you can't get so close to a deer.

When a wolf attacks you, you use your melee weapons in self defence. And that makes sence. The interaction was initiated by the wolf, and fighting is the only choice you have. But would it make sence for the same interaction to start when a deer runs into you? "Okay, apparently, I'm stabbing that deer now for some reason..." 

Or do you want "Kill" prompt to appear when you are close to a deer?

image.thumb.png.148c49a9256cd6eaa1a39e49179bd14a.png

Except that not all of us avoid wolves. With the right amount of cloth available to make bandages, and enough aspirin/rose hips, intentionally running right into wolves and meleeing them (with proper application of button mashing) is a totally viable method for getting meat if you don't have any guns/bows, or are low on bullets/arrows!

Sure, if we want to avoid the "attack" screen like that which comes with the wolves, I suppose a menu option coming up would be sufficient if you can get close enough to a deer's hitbox. I think it'd make more sense though to have an attack scene similar to that with the wolves and the moose, and the deer could even do some damage to you, but maybe just not as much as a moose would.