Update information on these forums

Hotzn

Only by accident did I find a post in the Alpha Guidelines & Updates section dated 9 March, relating to an update of the Alpha being postponed to next week. Hitherto, I knew nothing about another update being just around the corner. Was this due to brainless inattention on my part or was the update not announced on these forums before 9 March?

I am asking because I dimly remember that the studio wanted to build up its own community over here and ideally make some people migrate over from the Steam forums. However, it appears the update was announced quite early by Hinterland on the steam forums and not here. Or am I overlooking something?

If my assumptions were correct, maybe it would be a good idea to provide some goodies for users on the Hinterland forums. Like, for example, earlier information about updates or additional hints about their content. I mean, would it not be beneficial for these forums if users over at Steam would say "hey, I heard that the new update will probably contain xy, Hinterland said so on their forums"? Might be an incentive for people to have a look over here.

Not meaning to criticize - I enjoy these forums and will be frequenting them anyway. ;)

Heya! The update was not announced on Steam as an official announcement, but only as a comment, as we had suspected the baby would have been coming soon, and our announcement was affected by that. No wide announcement was made in either place. Once it was confirmed that the update would be delayed, it was announced in both places, but here in the official forums first :)

Thanks for your question!

Only by accident did I find a post in the Alpha Guidelines & Updates section dated 9 March, relating to an update of the Alpha being postponed to next week. Hitherto, I knew nothing about another update being just around the corner. Was this due to brainless inattention on my part or was the update not announced on these forums before 9 March?

I am asking because I dimly remember that the studio wanted to build up its own community over here and ideally make some people migrate over from the Steam forums. However, it appears the update was announced quite early by Hinterland on the steam forums and not here. Or am I overlooking something?

If my assumptions were correct, maybe it would be a good idea to provide some goodies for users on the Hinterland forums. Like, for example, earlier information about updates or additional hints about their content. I mean, would it not be beneficial for these forums if users over at Steam would say "hey, I heard that the new update will probably contain xy, Hinterland said so on their forums"? Might be an incentive for people to have a look over here.

Not meaning to criticize - I enjoy these forums and will be frequenting them anyway. ;)

I had exactly the same feeling:

It seemed a bit odd that the first hint about the next update was given on Steam and not here. Especially after the "We Need Your Help" post, declaring that this forum here is "the heart of our community and we believe this is the best place to nurture the kind of positive, mature community we want to build".

Now the next release is supposedly less than a week away and I haven't seen any indication about what might be in it. Of course this could all be part of a great surprise, but compared to making an infographic and posting all over the forums before the last update, it find it a bit underwhelming. Almost like no one is excited to release new ... well whatever is going to be in the next update.

OK, let's not turn this post into a negative one but instead the opposite...

Sooo, ryanhinterland... any ideas in which direction the update could be going? Hmmmmm? Remote possibility of a new map? Could wolves behave differently after instalment? Or just bugfixing? The Sasquatch, finally? Hmmm? Hmmmmmmm? ;)

It has always been Hinterlands policy to not announce updates until they are pretty sure they can deliver on their implied promise. Mentioning the update on the Steam forums and not mentioning it here was indeed a bit of a booboo, even if it was not an official announcement. Had they not mentioned the update, they would not have had to notify anyone on the delay, as is the intent behind the policy.

Also part of the policy is to not announce update contents before the update is released. Mostly because they don't want to spoil our enjoyment when finding new things out for ourselves. But also because they don't want to tell us they're going to add feature xyz only to find they can't deliver in time for the next update or maybe even decide to scrap the feature all together because it's not shaping up as they thought it would.

That info-graphic mentioned in an earlier post wasn't intended as information on the update, but was part of a PR campaign (for Christmas I think). This has been the only time since I started playing TLD that some of the content of an update was revealed like that before the update was released.

• Hinterland

The quick note was posted both on Steam and then on these forums shortly afterwards.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4398

The reason for the delay between the two posts was the need for sleep. I was away at GDC when I posted the note (this is when one of our team let me know that their expected baby had suddenly arrived early), so I posted on Steam, thought I'd posted it here as well, then realized the next morning that I hadn't actually "submitted" the post.

No intended slight to our official community. We haven't announced anything official about the next update, either here on in Steam.

Hey all -- doesn't look like we'll be getting the update out this week. Just too much to bug fix and polish. We'll post an update later this week with an updated ETA and some more details about what to expect in the next update. Thanks for your patience!

Hey all -- doesn't look like we'll be getting the update out this week. Just too much to bug fix and polish. We'll post an update later this week with an updated ETA and some more details about what to expect in the next update. Thanks for your patience!

Too much bugfix means there are new things for us to play with, thank you all for your answers!

Actually I am so inspired of what you do here, I started to learn unity.

Respect.

Take your time. Any player in his right mind would wait longer for an update in favour of polish and bugfixing. The game is fantastic already, it is progressing fast, and you guys are doing a great job keeping in touch with us players on top of all that. I mean, what more could we expect? :D

Some more info on next update from Raph: http://www.hinterlandforums.com/viewtop ... f=3&t=4498

It would be much easier to locate current update information if it was all consistently posted in TLD > Alpha Guidelines & Updates > Announcements and if all the non-current announcements were unpinned and moved to TLD > Alpha Guidelines & Updates > Topics. If people want to find that old stuff they can do a search.

Same thing with Hinterland Studio > News and Updates, which seems to be duplicating (Why?) much of TLD > Alpha Guidelines & Updates > Announcements.

Some more info on next update from Raph: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4498

It would be much easier to locate current update information if it was all consistently posted in TLD > Alpha Guidelines & Updates > Announcements and if all the non-current announcements were unpinned and moved to TLD > Alpha Guidelines & Updates > Topics. If people want to find that old stuff they can do a search.

Same thing with Hinterland Studio > News and Updates, which seems to be duplicating (Why?) much of TLD > Alpha Guidelines & Updates > Announcements.

Thanks for your feedback! Some of the posts are pinned and global so they show up in more than one place, which is why you are seeing them there. If you look in another forum like "survival" or "humour" etc, they will be there as well.

We'll post an update later this week with an updated ETA and some more details about what to expect in the next update. Thanks for your patience!

Was there an update to the not-on-the-week-of-the-16th situation?

You mean an update on the ...update? Someone here announced that at some point later in time (with relation to when said announcement was made) there might be an update on the update. Philosophers on these forums still debate whether that was an official announcement, an unofficial announcement or a "quick note" (another category of announcement that by definition seems to be unofficial and formally requires that the announcer is very tired and has not shaved recently). So to answer your question... er... what was your question again?

Archived